Anthem MRX Receivers - 310, 510, 710 Owners Thread & Tweaking Guide - Page 88 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2611 of 3196 Old 07-08-2014, 12:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesvicky View Post
I don't think there should be a list there should be a fix and a recall/replacement

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I could not have said it better myself! At this stage in the receiver line we should not be trying to do Anthem's job for them, PLAIN AND SIMPLE. We are paying customers that should be enjoying a finished product. I have the same feeling as Paul Peterson when he said that he feels like he paid two grand for a beta model. I don’t want a beta model.

I’m starting to realize that people on this thread are finally bringing the focus around to Anthem as a company. We can all go on and on about the different receiver issues but it really goes back to Anthem as a company and how they are handling complaints.
LPBadge, Paul Peterson and OMRSC like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2612 of 3196 Old 07-08-2014, 01:45 PM

Location: Wherever you go...well there you are. Currently I'm here, but soon I'll be someplace else. But rest assured I'll be there at the time, but I'll be gone before you know it.
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by OMRSC View Post
No offense was intended by my post, and I hope I made that clear.

Bottom line is that Anthem has a problem in certain applications, and their reluctance to address owners' concerns...and offer solutions...will likely impact their sales in a negative manner. In addition, for those having problems, they're entitled to answers given what they've spent.

===
"If people are having problems that Anthem is not willing to, or able to repair in the current design, then they should be refunded 100% regardless of dealer policy."
===

I'm in absolute agreement with you on this one; Anthem should either fix it, replace it, or refund the purchase price. To expound a bit, and given the quoted explanation of the "Advanced Load Monitoring" feature mentioned elesewhere, I don't believe this "shutdown" issue is going to be remedied with any FW fixes or adjustments...I believe it's likely a hardware/component issue that's electrically limited. If true, that could cost Anthem a bundle, and possibly leave present owners in a lurch.

Regardless, owner's having shutdown issues should not only expect a response from Anthem but, also, a fair solution.
Absolutely no offense taken...my icon was an attempt to show I was "yanking your chain" ...something I have an unfortunate habit of doing. In the real world, my wink and wry grin would have been easier to interpret!

I agree that the problem is probably a hardware issue. I also think that, no matter the cost... those repairs should be made. Maybe they'll eat some $'s, but I can guarantee they're currently losing potential customers. It comes down to integrity and trust. Paul Peterson will never purchase an Anthem product again. If he had gotten some sort of positive resolution, even if it was just getting his money back...He would have had a much more positive view of the company...and be willing to give Anthem another shot in the future, because he would be assured that they would back up there product. I had no idea, until today, that he had not received a refund. That is inexcusable. I don't know all of the details of his experience, but unless anyone intentionally misused/abuses an item, or somehow violated the warranty...they should be able to get their money back. PERIOD.

Quality, trust, integrity, and willingness to back up a product equals sales. Its amazing how many companies don't get that.
You and I are definitely on the same page. (Remember...us older guys gotta stick together!)

In memory of Buddy, the world's best pup, who passed peacefully June 28th/2014. He is sorely missed.
post #2613 of 3196 Old 07-08-2014, 02:53 PM

Location: Wherever you go...well there you are. Currently I'm here, but soon I'll be someplace else. But rest assured I'll be there at the time, but I'll be gone before you know it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterguy View Post
I could not have said it better myself! At this stage in the receiver line we should not be trying to do Anthem's job for them, PLAIN AND SIMPLE. We are paying customers that should be enjoying a finished product. I have the same feeling as Paul Peterson when he said that he feels like he paid two grand for a beta model. I don’t want a beta model.

I’m starting to realize that people on this thread are finally bringing the focus around to Anthem as a company. We can all go on and on about the different receiver issues but it really goes back to Anthem as a company and how they are handling complaints.
First thing, I'm not sure that we can draw generalities about how Anthem handles complaints that readily. There have been plenty of praise for them as well in this forum, and I think that need be recognized as well.

Unfortunately, market changes and speeds force all of us "early adopters" to be beta testers. This is not Anthem's problem alone, I assure you. Thank god there are software upgrades. By their very nature, they admit to imperfection. OK...maybe the "speaker list" is overboard. Call me naive, but I'm not ready to accept that Anthem knowingly brought to market a product that would have a problem with a hardware design that they specifically promoted. If we gave them that benefit of the doubt, why not try to help them provide a better product? They certainly can't test for every speaker system set up out there. Like it or not folks, every time we buy new software, electronic equipment and anything else that is subject to rapid changes in the market, we are all beta testers.

Yeah...if it's a hardware problem, then Anthem screwed up. But worst thing that could happen is that they ignore a compilation of what speakers that are problematic....The best thing? Maybe help them fix it...make for a better receiver.

Anthem's not some huge conglomerate like Onkyo, Pioneer or Yamaha. Many of us go the direction of smaller more specialized companies precisely because we don't like having big impersonal conglomerates represented in our systems. You will never find a Nick representing Onkyo in these forums. Anthem is a relatively small company with relatively limited resources. As we are all beta testers nowadays, like it or not....maybe a "partnering" relationship between company and consumer is the new "Paradigm" (sorry, couldn't resist). We can either rail against it or try to help make it work. Obviously there are limits. Hardware issues certainly push that envelope...but the engineers are not the same guys that determine marketing/return policies. Engineers are usually OCD as hell and have to deal with deadlines and pressures that have nothing to do with their personal commitment towards providing the most stable and quality platform they can. My son works in a start up ios app software company. It's killing him to having to make compromises because of market driven deadlines, cost limitations etc., but is the reality that all businesses, and employees within those businesses in a rapidly changing environment, have to deal with.

Anthem needs to fix the issue, for sure...imho, I just think maybe we could do some good by providing them useful feedback. Nick@Anthem has made that clear enough. Why not?

I guess I'm just not ready to throw out the baby with the bath water.....

In memory of Buddy, the world's best pup, who passed peacefully June 28th/2014. He is sorely missed.
post #2614 of 3196 Old 07-08-2014, 03:37 PM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
You are right. Since they designed a software based load monitoring system, that has to be tested. It is impossible to test with every speaker, hell even a lot of them, and the problem is not in the generic statistics, like impedance and sensitivity, but in phase shift etc. which can't be found on datasheets, and in most cases, can only be measured by themselves. Sending them speaker info, volume, even music you were listening to is the only way they can resolve this.
And better get used to this "testing" thing, at least in physical things we still get the full product, unlike video games, where you have to buy most of what would be normal as DLC Imagine an A/V receiver with this mentality: "Hey I heard you want video passthrough too! You can buy it as an extra for 200$"
Also I don't think Denon tests this, but they probably lack sophisticated protection and just make it oversized Russian-style. But we all know that a Denon sounds much worse than an Anthem while costing the same... (But has actual features)

2-channel is just multichannel done badly. - Frank Derks
post #2615 of 3196 Old 07-08-2014, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whodunnit View Post
First thing, I'm not sure that we can draw generalities about how Anthem handles complaints that readily. There have been plenty of praise for them as well in this forum, and I think that need be recognized as well.

Unfortunately, market changes and speeds force all of us "early adopters" to be beta testers. This is not Anthem's problem alone, I assure you. Thank god there are software upgrades. By their very nature, they admit to imperfection. OK...maybe the "speaker list" is overboard. Call me naive, but I'm not ready to accept that Anthem knowingly brought to market a product that would have a problem with a hardware design that they specifically promoted. If we gave them that benefit of the doubt, why not try to help them provide a better product? They certainly can't test for every speaker system set up out there. Like it or not folks, every time we buy new software, electronic equipment and anything else that is subject to rapid changes in the market, we are all beta testers.

Yeah...if it's a hardware problem, then Anthem screwed up. But worst thing that could happen is that they ignore a compilation of what speakers that are problematic....The best thing? Maybe help them fix it...make for a better receiver.

Anthem's not some huge conglomerate like Onkyo, Pioneer or Yamaha. Many of us go the direction of smaller more specialized companies precisely because we don't like having big impersonal conglomerates represented in our systems. You will never find a Nick representing Onkyo in these forums. Anthem is a relatively small company with relatively limited resources. As we are all beta testers nowadays, like it or not....maybe a "partnering" relationship between company and consumer is the new "Paradigm" (sorry, couldn't resist). We can either rail against it or try to help make it work. Obviously there are limits. Hardware issues certainly push that envelope...but the engineers are not the same guys that determine marketing/return policies. Engineers are usually OCD as hell and have to deal with deadlines and pressures that have nothing to do with their personal commitment towards providing the most stable and quality platform they can. My son works in a start up ios app software company. It's killing him to having to make compromises because of market driven deadlines, cost limitations etc., but is the reality that all businesses, and employees within those businesses in a rapidly changing environment, have to deal with.

Anthem needs to fix the issue, for sure...imho, I just think maybe we could do some good by providing them useful feedback. Nick@Anthem has made that clear enough. Why not?

I guess I'm just not ready to throw out the baby with the bath water.....

When you said, "Anthem is a relatively small company with relatively limited resources", I almost peed my pants.

Listen, I don't want to argue over the proper way to help this tiny little company . Regardless of how many people are happy vs frustrated, there is definitely something wrong out there. Anthem has been informed many times and look where we are at now. And by the way, these are not small software issues. I can ignore small software issues. These are big issues that make the unit worthless to some people. Just ask my local dealers. One of my local Paradigm dealers refuses to carry Anthem from now on.

Whodunnit you can shift the focus off of Anthem or fluff this up anyway you like but lets stay on track and hope that Anthem offers a solution here. I think that we all agree that Anthem has options to make this right even if they have to eat some $.
post #2616 of 3196 Old 07-08-2014, 05:14 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Overall, I'm pretty happy with my Anthem MRX 510. It was hard for me to make the switch from the "safe" havens of Onkyo/Integra that I have been using since my high school heydays (the mid 90's). I had my DTR-7 for 11 years before selling it and had a DTR 40.2 for around 3 years that performed well. The 40.2 also doubled as a space heater (that HDMI board sure ran warm!) It still performed well, but I ended up selling it as the video processing got in the way of my occasional PC gaming and I wanted better bass management than my MultiEQ setup for music/movies. I will never go more than $1,500 on a pair of speakers or a receiver either.

The 40.2 had the usual HDMI video handshaking quirks with other electronics but as long as I powered on everything in the proper sequence I was good to go! I did have a streaming music networking issue on it once that ended up being the PC. Onkyo/Integra tech support was useless in my first ever (and probably last) call to them. The Anthem is pretty much the same in that regard with the HDMI handshaking quirks. I do have the one "quirk" mentioned in a previous post on PCM audio sources and not detecting the proper 5 channel setup and the occasional "crackle/pop" still.

As far as audio goes, the 510 is the best sounding receiver I have ever owned (my DTR-7 comes in 2nd). I find my 510 unit is a little sensitive on the input level side via HDMI as only one particular song from a piano heavy recording had very annoying tweeter "crackling" on the left channel (it didn't follow the speaker...same issue on the direct digital download of the song and the CD). Strangely enough, my previous Integra & an existing Onkyo receiver never had the problem. I ended up lowering my PC output volume to 75 (from 100) and that fixed the issue. I can't explain why it would still do that via an optical connection on my always dependable Integra CD/DVD player, so add another "quirk" to the list.

In my opinion, I would consider Anthem's support about average. They were polite for the most part. Hopefully, they will work to resolve the major issues reported here. The more people contact them, hopefully, the more priority they will place on a resolution.

As far as being a little more "quirky" in some aspects and less so in others, it does the job admirably. I'll see how things all pan out from here. Part of me wants to go & enjoy the simple things in life by buying a basic integrated amplifier while the other part of me loves to "geek out" on the latest home theater gadgetry.....

Last edited by Speaker Robert; 07-08-2014 at 05:25 PM.
post #2617 of 3196 Old 07-08-2014, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speaker Robert View Post
Overall, I'm pretty happy with my Anthem MRX 510. It was hard for me to make the switch from the "safe" havens of Onkyo/Integra that I have been using since my high school heydays (the mid 90's). I had my DTR-7 for 11 years before selling it and had a DTR 40.2 for around 3 years that performed well. The 40.2 also doubled as a space heater (that HDMI board sure ran warm!) It still performed well, but I ended up selling it as the video processing got in the way of my occasional PC gaming and I wanted better bass management than my MultiEQ setup for music/movies. I will never go more than $1,500 on a pair of speakers or a receiver either.

The 40.2 had the usual HDMI video handshaking quirks with other electronics but as long as I powered on everything in the proper sequence I was good to go! I did have a streaming music networking issue on it once that ended up being the PC. Onkyo/Integra tech support was useless in my first ever (and probably last) call to them. The Anthem is pretty much the same in that regard with the HDMI handshaking quirks. I do have the one "quirk" mentioned in a previous post on PCM audio sources and not detecting the proper 5 channel setup and the occasional "crackle/pop" still.

As far as audio goes, the 510 is the best sounding receiver I have ever owned (my DTR-7 comes in 2nd). I find my 510 unit is a little sensitive on the input level side via HDMI as only one particular song from a piano heavy recording had very annoying tweeter "crackling" on the left channel (it didn't follow the speaker...same issue on the direct digital download of the song and the CD). Strangely enough, my previous Integra & an existing Onkyo receiver never had the problem. I ended up lowering my PC output volume to 75 (from 100) and that fixed the issue. I can't explain why it would still do that via an optical connection on my always dependable Integra CD/DVD player, so add another "quirk" to the list.

In my opinion, I would consider Anthem's support about average. They were polite for the most part. Hopefully, they will work to resolve the major issues reported here. The more people contact them, hopefully, the more priority they will place on a resolution.

As far as being a little more "quirky" in some aspects and less so in others, it does the job admirably. I'll see how things all pan out from here. Part of me wants to go & enjoy the simple things in life by buying a basic integrated amplifier while the other part of me loves to "geek out" on the latest home theater gadgetry.....
I was wondering if you could try something out for me if you have the time. Can you try playing your piano heavy song with ARC turned off in the input menu. See if you still get that crackle sound.
post #2618 of 3196 Old 07-08-2014, 05:41 PM

Quote:
I was wondering if you could try something out for me if you have the time. Can you try playing your piano heavy song with ARC turned off in the input menu. See if you still get that crackle sound.
Yep, tried that and it was still there. I even tried with ARC at the default 5k correction and then to a much lower frequency too (300Hz). I only use ARC up to 500Hz as I found that the default correction frequency caused "ear fatigue" for me as it was too harsh. I also did get it to go away through my CD/DVD player via the analog connections. I was planning to swap inputs (L&R) to get another data point on the recording.

Since I use my PC for music exclusively, my player just collects dust. If I only had my old pre-HDMI CD/DVD player, my only recourse would have been to go analog out via the player to the receiver to get that recording to sound good again. Thankfully, my PC gives me lots of options in that regard.

FYI...I have tons of recordings, but little in the way of piano music. There was only one song where I had this anomaly.
post #2619 of 3196 Old 07-08-2014, 06:12 PM

Interesting Speaker Robert. Good to hear that it only affects one of your songs. One of my issues is very similar to yours but goes away when I turn off ARC so that is why I suggested it. Enjoy your 510
post #2620 of 3196 Old 07-08-2014, 07:00 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
My Marantz SR8002 died so I was forced to buy something now. I went with the MX-510.

I didn't really consider the Anthem at 1st and quite frankly this thread scared me a little bit. For me at least, its been one of the easiest AV receivers Ive ever set up. I ran ARC and I was done. No fiddling, no messing with 1000 buttons, no nothing. It just sounds how I would want it to. Also, no issues with crackling or HDMI, etc...

It sounds considerably better than My old Marantz SR8002 which was a very high end model for its day.

I'm driving B&W 805s, B&W HTM2, B&W inwalls, and a Sunfire Sub. It really cleaned up my bass and vocals during a busy sequence are very easy to hear.

Also, one detail for Macintosh users. If you are running VMware Fusion you need to configure the NIC for your VM to, "Bridged (auto detect)". This will give the VM a unique IP on the same subnet as your MRX. The default is, "NAT" and you should put it back to that after. The application uses IP broadcast or multicast to discover the unit so it needs to be on the same local subnet.

Last edited by dhasselhoff; 07-08-2014 at 07:26 PM.
post #2621 of 3196 Old 07-08-2014, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Interesting Speaker Robert. Good to hear that it only affects one of your songs. One of my issues is very similar to yours but goes away when I turn off ARC so that is why I suggested it. Enjoy your 510
I hope you get your issue resolved. I've had my share of intermittent problems over the years. Had a pair of 18 year old DCM CX-17s, one of them would cut out only at the start of the first JJ Abrams Star Trek reboot movie with the intro french horn music. Turned out one of the circuit breakers in the protection circuitry was failing. Thankfully, my local dealer who used to deal with DCM remembered a previous failure report from long ago.

I also bought a pair of open box PSB image t6 speakers last year. One had a bad midrange driver that would only buzz when I played some Mormon Tabernacle choir music or music with french horns. Thankfully, I caught it early enough because I tend to beat up new speakers with dynamic recordings, at my usual normal listening level. I had to lug it back to the dealer and it definitely repeated.

I'll keep my ears 'open' for anything, but I haven't heard anything else surprising over the last couple of months with many of my more dynamic songs or movies on the Anthem. So far, I've been happy.
post #2622 of 3196 Old 07-08-2014, 09:26 PM

Quote:
When you said, "Anthem is a relatively small company with relatively limited resources", I almost peed my pants.

Listen, I don't want to argue over the proper way to help this tiny little company . Regardless of how many people are happy vs frustrated, there is definitely something wrong out there. Anthem has been informed many times and look where we are at now. And by the way, these are not small software issues. I can ignore small software issues. These are big issues that make the unit worthless to some people. Just ask my local dealers. One of my local Paradigm dealers refuses to carry Anthem from now on.

Whodunnit you can shift the focus off of Anthem or fluff this up anyway you like but lets stay on track and hope that Anthem offers a solution here. I think that we all agree that Anthem has options to make this right even if they have to eat some $.
Oh well. I guess Rome wasn't built in a day either. Just trying to create some kind of positive unified response to affect the changes and fixes we seek. Sorry for the dose of reality, but it is what it is.
I did almost get someone to pee their pants though, that's gotta count for something. Gives me a higher goal to aspire too! Mr. Guy, my new and current life long mission will be to get you to pee yourself.

post #2623 of 3196 Old 07-08-2014, 09:31 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Absolutely no offense taken...my icon was an attempt to show I was "yanking your chain" ...something I have an unfortunate habit of doing. In the real world, my wink and wry grin would have been easier to interpret!

I agree that the problem is probably a hardware issue. I also think that, no matter the cost... those repairs should be made. Maybe they'll eat some $'s, but I can guarantee they're currently losing potential customers. It comes down to integrity and trust. Paul Peterson will never purchase an Anthem product again. If he had gotten some sort of positive resolution, even if it was just getting his money back...He would have had a much more positive view of the company...and be willing to give Anthem another shot in the future, because he would be assured that they would back up there product. I had no idea, until today, that he had not received a refund. That is inexcusable. I don't know all of the details of his experience, but unless anyone intentionally misused/abuses an item, or somehow violated the warranty...they should be able to get their money back. PERIOD.

Quality, trust, integrity, and willingness to back up a product equals sales. Its amazing how many companies don't get that.
You and I are definitely on the same page. (Remember...us older guys gotta stick together!)
Just to put things straight my DEALER offered to let me bring the receiver back for store credit. He was very good about it, and said he would rather have me happy and come back down the rd. However that same day I was on my way to Montreal to pickup a used separate amp which solved the main issue of the 710's amp shutting down. I'm quite pleased at what the separate amp has done for my system. However I feel that I was forced to fix the problem by spending much more $ and putting a band aid on the problem. The fact that I've gone to a separate amp does not fix the situation that as far as I'm concerned the 710's amp section is weak, and has a problem. Down the rd I would likely sell this receiver to a friend but now it's resale value as far as I'm concerned is greatly diminished as I'm concerned about selling a dud to someone else. This is my second 710. The other one I had also shut down all the time, and it's HDMI board was toast after two days!! Just because I bought a separate amp doesn't mean I don't still want the lemon fixed! When you put down this kind of money especially to a company with Anthems rep., you expect to get something that is finished and works properly. Not a (work in progress)!
I had a good laugh when I looked at there FaceBook page the other day and they had a picture of one of there MRX's sitting on top of one of there amps. The headline read something like this "Wanting more power for your system. Try pairing it with one of our good priced amps. Seriously were noticing it's a trend!" I thought that was so ironic lol. Seriously? Yeah, it's becoming a trend. What choice do you have?? lol
post #2624 of 3196 Old 07-08-2014, 11:33 PM

About 5 years ago now, I bought a 56" LCD/DLP Samsung from Costco with no ext. warranty. Just the one year factory. Just a little over two years later I turned it on one day to discover random pixels were turning white. Was like watching t.v. through a snow storm. I jumped on Google and to my horror there were quite a few people having this problem. The processors were going in the television. People in the forums and on youtube lol were furious with Samsung and were saying that Samsung would do nothing about it. I to was quite upset and after all I saw and read figured I was screwed. They would prob. do nothing about it.
I now needed a new t.v. after two years and it definitely wasn't going to be a Samsung. I wasn't going to call but you don't know if you don't try so I did call. I got a very pleasant gentlemen on the phone. I told him my story. Told him what the forums were saying. Told him about the youtube videos. I looked up the model # on his computer and he politely told me that even though it was documented that there were issues with this t.v. I was more then a year out of warranty. I said I realized this. However I paid almost two grand for a t.v. that lasted only two years. I had to go out and get another t.v. I said. "So what r u going to do for me today to make sure that when I do, it's a Samsung?"
He thought about this for a minute. Put me on hold. When he came back he said he understood my frustration. He said even though you are way over your warranty how about this. I'll ship you the parts for free (the processor was over $300), you get the t.v. to the repair shop and pay the labour to have it fixed. Will cost you about $100. I said it's a DEAL and thank you SO MUCH for listening and helping me out.
The repair man put the t.v. on his lap top and told me when I picked it up after being fixed that the bulb was 7000 hrs over it's life span. That was two years ago now. I know it's probably bound to go at anytime. And I'll tell you something. Samsung in MY CASE backed there product and did there very best to insure that I was happy. And when this t.v. finally goes I WILL purchase another Samsung even if I have to pay a little more for it. True story. Take from it what you will.
post #2625 of 3196 Old 07-09-2014, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Oh well. I guess Rome wasn't built in a day either. Just trying to create some kind of positive unified response to affect the changes and fixes we seek. Sorry for the dose of reality, but it is what it is.
I did almost get someone to pee their pants though, that's gotta count for something. Gives me a higher goal to aspire too! Mr. Guy, my new and current life long mission will be to get you to pee yourself.
I understand and I apologize if my writing sounds a little harsh or rude. Thats really not the goal here. Im sure many customers are happy with this company but some of us are very frustrated (including me) and the last thing I want to hear is more fluff or excuses for Anthem. I get enough of that just communicating with them. Action is the only thing that can help at this point and a lot of us are waiting for that.

If and when my unit does get a fix, I will be sure to post that up too. I post good and bad experiences online. Ive always done that.
whodunnit likes this.
post #2626 of 3196 Old 07-09-2014, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Peterson View Post
Just to put things straight my DEALER offered to let me bring the receiver back for store credit. He was very good about it, and said he would rather have me happy and come back down the rd. However that same day I was on my way to Montreal to pickup a used separate amp which solved the main issue of the 710's amp shutting down. I'm quite pleased at what the separate amp has done for my system. However I feel that I was forced to fix the problem by spending much more $ and putting a band aid on the problem. The fact that I've gone to a separate amp does not fix the situation that as far as I'm concerned the 710's amp section is weak, and has a problem. Down the rd I would likely sell this receiver to a friend but now it's resale value as far as I'm concerned is greatly diminished as I'm concerned about selling a dud to someone else. This is my second 710. The other one I had also shut down all the time, and it's HDMI board was toast after two days!! Just because I bought a separate amp doesn't mean I don't still want the lemon fixed! When you put down this kind of money especially to a company with Anthems rep., you expect to get something that is finished and works properly. Not a (work in progress)!
I had a good laugh when I looked at there FaceBook page the other day and they had a picture of one of there MRX's sitting on top of one of there amps. The headline read something like this "Wanting more power for your system. Try pairing it with one of our good priced amps. Seriously were noticing it's a trend!" I thought that was so ironic lol. Seriously? Yeah, it's becoming a trend. What choice do you have?? lol
Yeah...I made a point of how the new ARC version seemed to consistently set my mains at 80hz. vs. 40 hz. crossovers. I stated how this would help take a load off the receiver amp, and possibly help mitigate the problems some people were experiencing with shut downs. Your "good laugh"...(and I'm glad you still can laugh...that's a good sign) and my ARC observation is a sad testament as to how we have lost a level of confidence in Anthem. If you don't trust them anymore, then you will always suspect the worst possible scenario. They created the problem, the internet may, or may not have amplified the issue out of proportion, but in the world of instant communication and feedback, Anthem, and any other company for that matter, can ill afford to not be transparent and forthcoming.
Things have changed. I'm not making excuses for the company, I'm not denying people's right to be frustrated, but I am saying that "finished products" nowadays are few and far between, for multiple reasons that a company may or may not have control over. Given that, its paramount that Anthem's customer service and dealer network need be there to support the customer until satisfaction is achieved. Granted...you can't please all of the people all of the time, but you can at least put things back on even ground by returning their money. Seems like Anthem's dropped the ball, it would be nice at least if they were the only company guilty of that!

Your Samsung story is great, a happy ending and a confirmation of the importance customer service, not just for you, but for the benefit of the company as well. I bet that wonderful, sympathetic guy who took care of you made them money that day.... because when you buy a new TV, you are more likely to pass by the Panasonics, LG's etc. and purchase a Samsung because of your positive customer service, despite the problems you had with your current set. I obviously have little knowledge of how a "relatively" small (nudge, nudge,wink,wink just for you Misterguy, I'm really working on making you rush out for Depends)avr manufacturing corporation functions,or how it would best profit and maintain a strong customer base. I'm sure it's far more complicated than I could hope to comprehend....but to me, the moral to your Samsung story is obvious. If you take care of your customer base, you stand a better chance for profit in the long run. With today's instant communication and discussion forums that has become even more apparent.
Paul Peterson likes this.

Last edited by whodunnit; 07-12-2014 at 07:34 PM.
post #2627 of 3196 Old 07-09-2014, 07:44 AM

Quote:
I understand and I apologize if my writing sounds a little harsh or rude. Thats really not the goal here. Im sure many customers are happy with this company but some of us are very frustrated (including me) and the last thing I want to hear is more fluff or excuses for Anthem. I get enough of that just communicating with them. Action is the only thing that can help at this point and a lot of us are waiting for that.

If and when my unit does get a fix, I will be sure to post that up too. I post good and bad experiences online. I've always done that.
No problem, but I do thank you. Your apology is the sign of a gentleman...which are often in short supply on line! Besides I was able to subtly get back at you in my previous post. Trust me, I get the frustration, and yes, I guess I was trying to defend Anthem somewhat. My previous response to Paul will hopefully show you that I hardly hold them unaccountable. Unfortunately, they are not the only company guilty of, or struggling with, depending on your viewpoint, "A Brave New Market."
I simply want to provide some middle ground, get some people's observations and opinions. I find this stuff, as frustrating as it is...also fascinating.

I really hope you get resolution with Anthem. I look forward to your future posts and hope for you, and frankly anyone out there who has problems or has lost faith in Anthem's products, that the outcome(s) is/are positive.*

Wish you (all) luck.

Gotta go...If you knew how slowly I typed, you'd be telling me to get a life and stop spending all my time on this forum. Talk about time suck!

*My apologies to my 11th grade English composition teacher for that horribly awkward sentence.

post #2628 of 3196 Old 07-09-2014, 11:12 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Wink

[QUOTE=whodunnit;25602873]Yeah...I made a point of how the new ARC version seemed to consistently set my mains at 80hz. vs. 40 hz. crossovers. I stated how this would help take a load off the receiver amp, and possibly help mitigate the problems some people were experiencing with shut downs.
Just to add my .02$, I'm a new 710 owner(coming from an Onkyo 818 with HDMI board failure x 2). I've had it for a week and so far I really like how it sounds in my setup but I am really concerned with the Advance Load monitoring issues. I have noticed it runs hotter than my onkyo did and I'm not close to reference levels yet. I was going to post about how the new ARC version keeps setting my mains at 80HZ even though the old version set them consistently at 40Hz. These are Energy RC 70's btw. Is it possible that Anthem updated ARC to keep the crossover higher and thus put less strain on the amp? If so, I'm not sure how I feel about that. On one hand it sounds pretty good, however the earliest cal I did when I first got the 710 sounded better. Like others I don't want to buy a separate amp to take the "load" off cuz I bought it for the power capabilities. This is first time I have spent so much money on a single piece of equipment. My local dealer assured me that the Anthem would be better than the Denon 4520 I was considering but now I'm not so sure.
post #2629 of 3196 Old 07-09-2014, 12:18 PM

[quote=boardinguy100;25610001]
Quote:
Yeah...I made a point of how the new ARC version seemed to consistently set my mains at 80hz. vs. 40 hz. crossovers. I stated how this would help take a load off the receiver amp, and possibly help mitigate the problems some people were experiencing with shut downs.
Just to add my .02$, I'm a new 710 owner(coming from an Onkyo 818 with HDMI board failure x 2). I've had it for a week and so far I really like how it sounds in my setup but I am really concerned with the Advance Load monitoring issues. I have noticed it runs hotter than my onkyo did and I'm not close to reference levels yet. I was going to post about how the new ARC version keeps setting my mains at 80HZ even though the old version set them consistently at 40Hz. These are Energy RC 70's btw. Is it possible that Anthem updated ARC to keep the crossover higher and thus put less strain on the amp? If so, I'm not sure how I feel about that. On one hand it sounds pretty good, however the earliest cal I did when I first got the 710 sounded better. Like others I don't want to buy a separate amp to take the "load" off cuz I bought it for the power capabilities. This is first time I have spent so much money on a single piece of equipment. My local dealer assured me that the Anthem would be better than the Denon 4520 I was considering but now I'm not so sure.
We are in the exact same boat my friend. I sold my 818 to go to the 710. I prob should have been concerned when I took the 710 out of the box and it was a whopping 10 pounds lighter then the 818! LOL You got to figure that's prob mostly 10lbs less amp 8-(. Even though the 710 is only rated a few less amps then the 818. I struggled quite a bit at first to get use to how less boomy the 710 is. However I would say that the 710 sounds clearer with more definition then the 818. The 818 was a monster and would put you out of the room. And it never EVER shutdown no matter how hard you pushed it. I listen to music and movies at reference levels and the 710 struggled right from the beginning. It ran warm and the fans ran on high constantly. Push it to -12 -10 with the right song or movie track and after about 30 to 45 seconds a shutdown was guaranteed. I went back and forth with Anthem for about 3 weeks with no answers. I didn't have a lot of money to spend on a separate amp. It was between Emotiva or Outlaw Audio. I phoned Emotiva twice and left a message for one of there sales reps to give me a call as I was considering the xpa-3. They never called back which lead me to believe all the things I was reading about there customer service. If you can't even pick up the phone to make a sale your prob not going to help someone with a problem. I tracked down a used Outlaw Audio 7500 and was delighted to read a couple reviews on it that compared it's sound to an Anthem amp. I was looking for something with a neutral sound that wouldn't take anything away from my 710. I phoned Outlaw and talked with someone who of course told me there amps out spec Emotiva's in every way on the bench. She was very helpful and told me that the 7500 was there best selling amp and that she would help me transfer the warranty on the used one into my name. They were great to talk to and very helpful. I'm running 7.1 and with the 7500 the 710's amp only has to worry about my side surrounds. I've pushed it right into the +s and it's never once shut down. The fans in the 710 never come on now at normal listening levels. Although I was instantly amazed at the difference the separate amp made to my system. It was worth the $900 I spent for the Outlaw. I shouldn't have been put in a situation where I pretty much had to go out and get another amp. The $1100 818 never had an issues with my speaker setup and it pounded along quite nicely. If you live in an apartment building, or your neighbor is 2 ft beside you your probably not going to run into shut down issues. But if you have a decent sized room and your neighbors aren't to close and you want your speakers to move a little your prob going to run into shutdown issues. If I could go back now I probably wouldn't have waited so long and I would have taken my 710 back. For the money I spent the shutdown thing is just to much of an annoyance, and I don't think it should be happening. The 310,s and 510's aren't doing it and they have even less power then the 710. To me that points to a serious design flaw in what's suppose to be a high end powerful avr. The only thing is, is there another avr out there that sounds as good as Anthem??? Best of luck to you. You may find yourself missing your 818, just a little lol.
post #2630 of 3196 Old 07-09-2014, 01:03 PM

[quote=boardinguy100;25610001]
Quote:
Yeah...I made a point of how the new ARC version seemed to consistently set my mains at 80hz. vs. 40 hz. crossovers. I stated how this would help take a load off the receiver amp, and possibly help mitigate the problems some people were experiencing with shut downs.
Wish I could answer that question...Obviously it would reduce load on the amp, but to say that dealing with the shutdown issues was Anthem's primary reason, or even a consideration for ARC's update would be speculative at best. I pointed out in my initial post that this was how rumors get started, and that I had no true knowledge basis for making that assessment. Please don't run with it as a factual statement.

post #2631 of 3196 Old 07-09-2014, 01:52 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 30
[quote=Paul Peterson;25612041]
Quote:
Originally Posted by boardinguy100 View Post

I shouldn't have been put in a situation where I pretty much had to go out and get another amp. The $1100 818 never had an issues with my speaker setup and it pounded along quite nicely. If you live in an apartment building, or your neighbor is 2 ft beside you your probably not going to run into shut down issues. But if you have a decent sized room and your neighbors aren't to close and you want your speakers to move a little your prob going to run into shutdown issues. If I could go back now I probably wouldn't have waited so long and I would have taken my 710 back. For the money I spent the shutdown thing is just to much of an annoyance, and I don't think it should be happening. The 310,s and 510's aren't doing it and they have even less power then the 710. To me that points to a serious design flaw in what's suppose to be a high end powerful avr. The only thing is, is there another avr out there that sounds as good as Anthem??? Best of luck to you. You may find yourself missing your 818, just a little lol.
If potential customers for a high-end AVR are like most of us (i.e., researching a product before purchase) and they're reading this thread...I've got to believe there has to be a helluva' big red-light flashing if they're considering a 710. At this moment in time, I'm sincerely thankful that I'm only into a 5.1 arrangement, and that I've had ZERO issues with my 310. I've spent a few hours reviewing previous posts...not all of them by any means...and I've yet to see any mention of "shutdown" problems associated with the 310/510 series that even approach in frequency those mentioned for the 710. Clearly, a serious problem exists in Anthem's flagship AVR.

Most disconcerting (and especially for owners of the 710) is Anthem's reluctance in responding to their customers/owners....and this could likely include potential customers.

So, the logical question is: What is Anthem's answer?

Like I've said, I'm a VERY happy boy with my 310 ...but Anthem's silence concerning the 710 is deafening.
post #2632 of 3196 Old 07-09-2014, 02:15 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
even mrx510 have the issue.. see starting with the last 6 posts on this page http://www.avforums.com/threads/anth...840214/page-75
post #2633 of 3196 Old 07-09-2014, 02:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 454 Post(s)
Liked: 199
I wonder, is the toroid in the 710 high in VA? Bigger they are, more expensive they are. In my ATI amp, it has two toroid, and each one would be around £90 each (1600VA)

I'm wondering if they skimped on the toroid, and wonder could a DIY upgrade (not that you should have to) to higher capacity one sort it?

Krell Evolution 900e x 7

Bose Jewel speakers.

Jealous of my speakers?

post #2634 of 3196 Old 07-09-2014, 02:19 PM

Hey, whodunnit!

Just curious, but did did you stick with the 80 Hz x-over in ARC, or did you select your own frequency?

Right now I'm not using ARC...just the "Bass Management" feature...and I'm running 70 Hz for my fronts, and 80 Hz for everything else (I also have a small Polk Micropro DSW2000 sub crossed at 120 Hz). My fronts are Klipsch KG 2.5 (92 dB sensitivity), but in a month or so I'm replacing them with a refurbed pair old KG 3s (93 dB). Thus far, I've had ZERO issues with this arrangement.

When I go with the KG 3s, I'm planning on crossing them at 50-60 Hz...so that's why I'm interested in how you "went".
post #2635 of 3196 Old 07-09-2014, 02:25 PM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
I doubt ARC update has to do anything with the shutdown issue, as raising the crossover to 80 probably doesn't make it much easier, the problem does not lie in pure power anyways, and they don't, or more likely didn't know where the problem exactly is when they made that ARC update.
Back to speculation: 710 has a toroidal transformer, and basically thats the only difference. My theory is that the toroidal system is less resilient to certain frequency / phase changes coming back from the speakers, as in the non-toroidal system "smooths" it out a bit. Thus Load-protection only kicks in on 710. B theory is that load-protection is different because it's toroidal. C theory is that this whole thing is just a coincidence, and 710 users happened to have speakers with more extreme phase shift etc.
In retrospect I'm glad I went with the 510. For the Denon comparison: I have compared 510 with both Onkyo 818, Denon x4000 and Denon 4520. In sound quality 510 smoked those receivers.
EDIT: To 510 issues mentioned above: Far, far less common, can be a one-time fault, or anything. So far only 710 has a tendency.

2-channel is just multichannel done badly. - Frank Derks

Last edited by Barnahadnagy; 07-09-2014 at 02:29 PM.
post #2636 of 3196 Old 07-09-2014, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbottom View Post
I wonder, is the toroid in the 710 high in VA? Bigger they are, more expensive they are. In my ATI amp, it has two toroid, and each one would be around £90 each (1600VA)

I'm wondering if they skimped on the toroid, and wonder could a DIY upgrade (not that you should have to) to higher capacity one sort it?
It might be the xfmr, but since the "Load Monitoring" function is more closely related to the thermal capabilities of the 7 amplifiers, I'm more suspicious of the output capabilities (current capacity and wattage) of the individual "devices" (transistors, FETs, whatever) themselves.

As whodunnit mentioned...we're speculating...and this one is up to Anthem (wherever they are).
post #2637 of 3196 Old 07-09-2014, 03:34 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 11
whodunnit,
Not trying to start rumors or condemn Anthem, just speculating. Anyways it's a possibility that I may never play loud enough put it in protection mode, however I'm going to take a little time tonight and see how it does when I really crank it. I'm on day 6 of my purchase so I have a little time to return it if I need too. I have to admit that the warm and fuzzy feeling is evaporating after reading this thread
Paul Peterson, thanks for relating your experience with your 818. It confirms what I have been thinking but wasn't entirely sure how to verbalize and that is the Onkyo 818 was loud and boomy compared to the crystal clear and precise imaging of the Anthem. My subs, (dual SVS PB 12's) have never sounded better. I admit I was initially intimidated by ARC, however after I tried it and tested it I determined I definitely liked it better than XT32. Now the issue, keep the 710 and hope it doesn't fail or return it for a 310/amp combo or the 510. I've already given up height channels to get the Anthem which I was willing to do for the potential improvement in SQ, which I have gained.
post #2638 of 3196 Old 07-09-2014, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMRSC View Post
It might be the xfmr, but since the "Load Monitoring" function is more closely related to the thermal capabilities of the 7 amplifiers, I'm more suspicious of the output capabilities (current capacity and wattage) of the individual "devices" (transistors, FETs, whatever) themselves.

As whodunnit mentioned...we're speculating...and this one is up to Anthem (wherever they are).
Damn, now I'm becoming like my kids. TV on and playing on the computer. Looks like I'm gonna have to stream PBSNews later.
I had that same (speculative) thought. The output devices are no different then the 510. As Barnahadnagy noted, the transformer is the only real difference, and the output devices are definitely asked to work closer to their maximum tolerance in the 710 VS the 510. Possibly at issue? Its speculative, but OMRSC has a valid point. Me and my humanities oriented brain is here to learn...this is interesting dialogue.
OMSRC...I'll respond later to your query, have to go make dinner, and well...be a husband for awhile as opposed to a blurry eyed AVS forum addict...but its great to hear from you! Could kind of use some positive around here if ya know what I mean.....

post #2639 of 3196 Old 07-09-2014, 04:02 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I hate to be a jerk and Im sorry if I come across that way. But you guys complaining are killing me. I work in a pretty complicated technical field with lots of variables (multi protocol routing Im a CCIE). You need to do some analytical troubleshooting and isolate variables. The answer to your questions is that you don't know what variable is causing your grief.

Here are some basic troubleshooting options I would try rather than just being upset.

1. Go to your dealer and bring home their demo. See if it has the problem. If it does not, get an RMA. You have a broken piece of electronics.

2. Something with your speakers isn't right for the system. Could be impedance, could be a grounding issue, could be a bad voice coil, could be lots of things an electrical engineer might understand. If this is the case, take your unit to the dealer you bought your speakers at and try the same speakers with your unit. If it doesn't happen then you need to get your speakers looked at.

As far as the amp section goes, I only drive B&W 805s which aren't particularly difficult to drive. But, Ive only seen things sound better versus my old toroidial powered 125w Marantz SR8002.

The reason Im getting annoyed is that I almost didn't buy the mrx-510 because of this thread and its one of the best purchases Ive ever made. I love it for the exact reason you are frustrated. I put it in, I calibrated it, and now I have no desire to mess with it or tweak it. Its just right. You almost scared me into something I wouldn't have been as happy with.
whodunnit likes this.
post #2640 of 3196 Old 07-09-2014, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boardinguy100 View Post
whodunnit,
Not trying to start rumors or condemn Anthem, just speculating. Anyways it's a possibility that I may never play loud enough put it in protection mode, however I'm going to take a little time tonight and see how it does when I really crank it. I'm on day 6 of my purchase so I have a little time to return it if I need too. I have to admit that the warm and fuzzy feeling is evaporating after reading this thread
Paul Peterson, thanks for relating your experience with your 818. It confirms what I have been thinking but wasn't entirely sure how to verbalize and that is the Onkyo 818 was loud and boomy compared to the crystal clear and precise imaging of the Anthem. My subs, (dual SVS PB 12's) have never sounded better. I admit I was initially intimidated by ARC, however after I tried it and tested it I determined I definitely liked it better than XT32. Now the issue, keep the 710 and hope it doesn't fail or return it for a 310/amp combo or the 510. I've already given up height channels to get the Anthem which I was willing to do for the potential improvement in SQ, which I have gained.
That's a tough call...I'd go with the separates, but I like to play around, and I like the flexibility. Cost, space issues are all part of that decision. You can find some excellent used power in the $500-$700 range.
Never suspected you of the rumor bit. Just wanted to make my position clear. I'm learning that a lot of stuff gets twisted in these forums...so just covering my derriere. Gotta go! Hey...this is fun again!

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Anthem Mrx710 , Anthem Mrx510 , Anthem Mrx310
Gear in this thread - Mrx710 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page