Anthem MRX Receivers - 310, 510, 710 Owners Thread & Tweaking Guide - Page 89 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #2641 of 2726 Old 07-09-2014, 04:47 PM
Member
 
darrellh44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 150
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
For those of you that have experienced shutdowns with your MRX x10 receivers, I have a couple of questions:

1. Once a shutdown occurs, what does it take to get the AVR playing again? Does it require a cool-down period?

2. Just before shutdown, did it sound like amps were overly stressed or distorted?

If the shutdowns aren't due to thermal issues and the amps aren't sounding perceptually worse before shutdown, then this should support the suggestion that the problem is solely being caused by a sensitivity in the new Load Monitoring circuitry to certain speaker loads and/or source content, and not by a weak implementation in the amps' output stages and/or power supply. In other words this should be a fixable problem with a small circuit change or hopefully just a firmware update. My guess, one of the considerations Anthem is weighing is how much of their highly-touted Load Monitoring feature needs to be scrapped to guarantee false shutdowns are eliminated.

Thanks,
Darrell
darrellh44 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2642 of 2726 Old 07-09-2014, 05:03 PM
Advanced Member
 
Nick @ Anthem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 858
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by OMRSC View Post
As whodunnit mentioned...we're speculating...and this one is up to Anthem (wherever they are).
Secret hideaway:

http://www.anthemav.com/support/contact-us.php

The most important noise floor is in your head. Always remember to protect your hearing.
Nick @ Anthem is offline  
post #2643 of 2726 Old 07-09-2014, 05:05 PM
Advanced Member
 
Nick @ Anthem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 858
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnahadnagy View Post
C theory is that this whole thing is just a coincidence, and 710 users happened to have speakers with more extreme phase shift etc.
I'll go with that one.

AVS reported cases:

- usxplong's 710 w/ Paradigm Signature
- Paul's 710 w/ Klipsch Reference

AVF reported cases:

- richmagnus' 710 w/ unspecified M&K - shutdown the one time that volume was set to -6
- Jamesvicky's 510 w/ KEF R700 though whether the result was protection mode vs a permanent failure for unrelated cause, and the volume setting, weren't mentioned.

Second-gen MRXs have been shipping since last October and apparently 99.9% of them have not gone into protection mode. And when it happens, it's for a reason.

The most important noise floor is in your head. Always remember to protect your hearing.
Nick @ Anthem is offline  
post #2644 of 2726 Old 07-09-2014, 05:37 PM
Member
 
OMRSC's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 74
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhasselhoff View Post
I hate to be a jerk and Im sorry if I come across that way. But you guys complaining are killing me. I work in a pretty complicated technical field with lots of variables (multi protocol routing Im a CCIE). You need to do some analytical troubleshooting and isolate variables. The answer to your questions is that you don't know what variable is causing your grief.

Here are some basic troubleshooting options I would try rather than just being upset.

1. Go to your dealer and bring home their demo. See if it has the problem. If it does not, get an RMA. You have a broken piece of electronics.

2. Something with your speakers isn't right for the system. Could be impedance, could be a grounding issue, could be a bad voice coil, could be lots of things an electrical engineer might understand. If this is the case, take your unit to the dealer you bought your speakers at and try the same speakers with your unit. If it doesn't happen then you need to get your speakers looked at.

As far as the amp section goes, I only drive B&W 805s which aren't particularly difficult to drive. But, Ive only seen things sound better versus my old toroidial powered 125w Marantz SR8002.

The reason Im getting annoyed is that I almost didn't buy the mrx-510 because of this thread and its one of the best purchases Ive ever made. I love it for the exact reason you are frustrated. I put it in, I calibrated it, and now I have no desire to mess with it or tweak it. Its just right. You almost scared me into something I wouldn't have been as happy with.
Several points.

First, I'm glad you're enjoying your 510...as am I with my 310. Prior to my purchase I scoured this thread for opinions on the x10 series from Anthem...saw a few concerns with some of the features (most of which have been addressed through FW updates)...but all-in-all I didn't see enough to dissuade me from my grabbing the 310. The same rationale would have steered me to the 510 had I been looking for a 7-channel AVR.

Second, for those posting here having questions/problems, etc., with some of the functions/features of the current lineup, Anthem provided timely (and helpful) responses. This is as it should be for a manufacturer as respected and acclaimed...in the AV press and amongst its customers...as Anthem.

Next, I disagree with your opinion that there's something not "right" with the speakers of current owners of the 710 experiencing "shutdown" problems. If their speakers worked with their previous AVR, then why are they experiencing problems now? Impedance? Doubtful IMO...and if it's a problem now, then why wasn't it before? Grounding? Equally doubtful...since most modern amplifiers (of any quality) will immediately shut down the amp in the event of either "shorted" or "ground fault" wiring conditions. A bad voice coil? Again, doubtful...since the speaker would (in all probability) burn up and cause what's known as an "open" circuit...in essence, disconnecting itself from the signal path and becoming inoperable (and if this happened, it would lessen the load demands on the amp).

In addition, many of the posters here (at least lately) have been in contact with Anthem, several have replaced their AVRs, and still their problems persist. Why do you suppose this is happening?

Finally, you mention "analytical troubleshooting" and "variables". In regard to variables, I'd encourage you to pop a glance at post # 2600 on this thread since numerous of them are mentioned. As regards "analytical troubleshooting; like you, I, too was involved in a technical field (I'm a retired electrical engineer).

Apparently, many present owners of the 710 are experiencing problems with Anthem's flagship AVR and, at $2,000 USD, they've essentially got an inoperative paperweight costing $70/lb. If you found yourself in this dilemma, would you remain silent?

My purpose in posting this is not to become argumentative with you...and I certainly don't consider you a "jerk"...but merely to point out that the problems with the 710, in all probability, belong to Anthem and not their customers. Anthem needs to respond to these people.
misterguy likes this.
OMRSC is offline  
post #2645 of 2726 Old 07-09-2014, 05:44 PM
Member
 
Paul Peterson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Ontario Canada
Posts: 43
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhasselhoff View Post
I hate to be a jerk and Im sorry if I come across that way. But you guys complaining are killing me. I work in a pretty complicated technical field with lots of variables (multi protocol routing Im a CCIE). You need to do some analytical troubleshooting and isolate variables. The answer to your questions is that you don't know what variable is causing your grief.

Here are some basic troubleshooting options I would try rather than just being upset.

1. Go to your dealer and bring home their demo. See if it has the problem. If it does not, get an RMA. You have a broken piece of electronics.

2. Something with your speakers isn't right for the system. Could be impedance, could be a grounding issue, could be a bad voice coil, could be lots of things an electrical engineer might understand. If this is the case, take your unit to the dealer you bought your speakers at and try the same speakers with your unit. If it doesn't happen then you need to get your speakers looked at.

As far as the amp section goes, I only drive B&W 805s which aren't particularly difficult to drive. But, Ive only seen things sound better versus my old toroidial powered 125w Marantz SR8002.

The reason Im getting annoyed is that I almost didn't buy the mrx-510 because of this thread and its one of the best purchases Ive ever made. I love it for the exact reason you are frustrated. I put it in, I calibrated it, and now I have no desire to mess with it or tweak it. Its just right. You almost scared me into something I wouldn't have been as happy with.


Hmmmm. I had an $1100 avr that worked just fine. I traded it for a $2300 avr that doesn't do the same job and the ONLY THING I CHANGED was the avr! And you want me to trouble shoot everything else? Seems to me I know where the problem is!!!! I'm happy your 510 is working flawlessly. Imagine how frustrated you'd be if it wasn't.
misterguy and OMRSC like this.
Paul Peterson is offline  
post #2646 of 2726 Old 07-09-2014, 06:53 PM
Member
 
Paul Peterson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Ontario Canada
Posts: 43
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by darrellh44 View Post
For those of you that have experienced shutdowns with your MRX x10 receivers, I have a couple of questions:

1. Once a shutdown occurs, what does it take to get the AVR playing again? Does it require a cool-down period?

2. Just before shutdown, did it sound like amps were overly stressed or distorted?

If the shutdowns aren't due to thermal issues and the amps aren't sounding perceptually worse before shutdown, then this should support the suggestion that the problem is solely being caused by a sensitivity in the new Load Monitoring circuitry to certain speaker loads and/or source content, and not by a weak implementation in the amps' output stages and/or power supply. In other words this should be a fixable problem with a small circuit change or hopefully just a firmware update. My guess, one of the considerations Anthem is weighing is how much of their highly-touted Load Monitoring feature needs to be scrapped to guarantee false shutdowns are eliminated.

Thanks,
Darrell
Once shutdown occurs you can power the unit back on right away. Fans are usually running on high when the unit powers back on.


There is no audible difference in sound quality what so ever before amp shuts down. No clipping (that I could here), or distortion.
Paul Peterson is offline  
post #2647 of 2726 Old 07-09-2014, 07:05 PM
Newbie
 
dhasselhoff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Just a thought, I know its probably a lot of engineering, but if this is prevalent enough perhaps you could generate debug logs that tell why the system protection happened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick @ Anthem View Post
I'll go with that one.

AVS reported cases:

- usxplong's 710 w/ Paradigm Signature
- Paul's 710 w/ Klipsch Reference

AVF reported cases:

- richmagnus' 710 w/ unspecified M&K - shutdown the one time that volume was set to -6
- Jamesvicky's 510 w/ KEF R700 though whether the result was protection mode vs a permanent failure for unrelated cause, and the volume setting, weren't mentioned.

Second-gen MRXs have been shipping since last October and apparently 99.9% of them have not gone into protection mode. And when it happens, it's for a reason.
darrellh44 and OMRSC like this.
dhasselhoff is offline  
post #2648 of 2726 Old 07-09-2014, 07:13 PM
Member
 
whodunnit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Wherever you go...well there you are. Currently I'm here, but soon I'll be someplace else. But rest assured I'll be there at the time, but I'll be gone before you know it.
Posts: 109
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 41
I'm back! (I can hear the groans) Well this has gotten a lot more interesting. Speculation, as long as it is recognized as such...fuels a lot of more discussion, and certainly some potentially valid points. Learning again...gotta love it.

Nobody seems to have picked up on Nick's most recent post. Yes there is a shutdown, potential Anthem "auto destruct sequence" problem. There are the four posters, in two different forums, who have had those problems. Having read their posts, I know those individuals had problems with multiple receivers...so it stands to reason that the issues are system related. "OK Whodunnit...tell me something I don't know." Well that'll never happen because when it comes to tech...my bulb burns pretty dim. All this debate etc. regarding the shut down problem has been fueled over four reported incidents. Four. Wow. Anthem must be building some serious cr-p. Yes. Those that have problems have real issues. They should not be ignored, acceptable resolutions found and customer service should be bending over backwards to fulfill what I consider a binding contractual arrangement where they provide a working product that meets, or exceeds specification. But 4? The guys at Onkyo/Yamaha/Denon etc. would be guzzling champagne and slapping high fives if they could do that...assuming they gave a damn. My point is...which we all know, is that issues get amplified on these sites. Are the problems serious for those who've had to deal with them? Hell yes. My heart goes out to them. But those four shutdown issues have weighed far heavier on Anthem's reputation than Anthem deserves. I got sucked into it and I consciously try to avoid passing those kinds of judgments. Four. Wow. Those Anthem guys sure are taken us for a ride....
grasshoppers likes this.

In memory of Buddy, the world's best pup, who passed peacefully June 28th/2014. He is sorely missed.
whodunnit is online now  
post #2649 of 2726 Old 07-09-2014, 07:15 PM
Member
 
whodunnit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Wherever you go...well there you are. Currently I'm here, but soon I'll be someplace else. But rest assured I'll be there at the time, but I'll be gone before you know it.
Posts: 109
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Well at least when I started typing no one had mentioned Nick's post....Gotta get faster.

In memory of Buddy, the world's best pup, who passed peacefully June 28th/2014. He is sorely missed.
whodunnit is online now  
post #2650 of 2726 Old 07-09-2014, 07:41 PM
Member
 
whodunnit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Wherever you go...well there you are. Currently I'm here, but soon I'll be someplace else. But rest assured I'll be there at the time, but I'll be gone before you know it.
Posts: 109
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by OMRSC View Post
Hey, whodunnit!

Just curious, but did did you stick with the 80 Hz x-over in ARC, or did you select your own frequency?

Right now I'm not using ARC...just the "Bass Management" feature...and I'm running 70 Hz for my fronts, and 80 Hz for everything else (I also have a small Polk Micropro DSW2000 sub crossed at 120 Hz). My fronts are Klipsch KG 2.5 (92 dB sensitivity), but in a month or so I'm replacing them with a refurbed pair old KG 3s (93 dB). Thus far, I've had ZERO issues with this arrangement.

When I go with the KG 3s, I'm planning on crossing them at 50-60 Hz...so that's why I'm interested in how you "went".
Hey OMSRC! First I want to thank you for your ability to look at issues from a balanced perspective. I was getting a bit jaded around here. To answer your query I ask of you your patience. I will respond, but as I am a man of many words,(weird, I hear that groaning sound again)... and with those really god awful typing skills... I was up til 12:30 last night on this forum, which is totally ridiculous in a "get a life" kind of way...and I know I'll just do it again. So the sensible is going to make a rare appearance and put the other me to bed. Tomorrow I'll play with my set up...and give you my impressions. I look forward to it....
OMRSC likes this.

In memory of Buddy, the world's best pup, who passed peacefully June 28th/2014. He is sorely missed.
whodunnit is online now  
post #2651 of 2726 Old 07-09-2014, 08:17 PM
Member
 
OMRSC's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 74
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 21
lol...no rush, so take your time! Hell, I'm at least a month away from ARC, and all I'm trying to do is see how x-over changes might possibly affect the sound. Honestly, I like to have a basic understanding of how things work such that, when I do make a change, I can (possibly) know what to expect...if that's even possible.
OMRSC is offline  
post #2652 of 2726 Old 07-09-2014, 08:24 PM
Member
 
OMRSC's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 74
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick @ Anthem View Post
I'll go with that one.

AVS reported cases:

- usxplong's 710 w/ Paradigm Signature
- Paul's 710 w/ Klipsch Reference

AVF reported cases:

- richmagnus' 710 w/ unspecified M&K - shutdown the one time that volume was set to -6
- Jamesvicky's 510 w/ KEF R700 though whether the result was protection mode vs a permanent failure for unrelated cause, and the volume setting, weren't mentioned.

Second-gen MRXs have been shipping since last October and apparently 99.9% of them have not gone into protection mode. And when it happens, it's for a reason.
Just to make sure I'm understanding this, Nick...are you saying that "phase shift" is the reason some owners of the 710 are experiencing "shutdown" problems?

And if it isn't "phase shift etc", then what are you saying is the reason(s) for these shutdowns?
OMRSC is offline  
post #2653 of 2726 Old 07-09-2014, 10:20 PM
Member
 
skinner84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick @ Anthem View Post
I'll go with that one.

AVS reported cases:

- usxplong's 710 w/ Paradigm Signature
- Paul's 710 w/ Klipsch Reference

AVF reported cases:

- richmagnus' 710 w/ unspecified M&K - shutdown the one time that volume was set to -6
- Jamesvicky's 510 w/ KEF R700 though whether the result was protection mode vs a permanent failure for unrelated cause, and the volume setting, weren't mentioned.

Second-gen MRXs have been shipping since last October and apparently 99.9% of them have not gone into protection mode. And when it happens, it's for a reason.
You can add me to this list also. Mine shutdown permanently with a set of Focal Aria 926's. Now running an Anthem MCA 30 with the 710, no issues so far.
skinner84 is online now  
post #2654 of 2726 Old 07-09-2014, 10:41 PM
Member
 
skinner84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by darrellh44 View Post
For those of you that have experienced shutdowns with your MRX x10 receivers, I have a couple of questions:

1. Once a shutdown occurs, what does it take to get the AVR playing again? Does it require a cool-down period?

2. Just before shutdown, did it sound like amps were overly stressed or distorted?

If the shutdowns aren't due to thermal issues and the amps aren't sounding perceptually worse before shutdown, then this should support the suggestion that the problem is solely being caused by a sensitivity in the new Load Monitoring circuitry to certain speaker loads and/or source content, and not by a weak implementation in the amps' output stages and/or power supply. In other words this should be a fixable problem with a small circuit change or hopefully just a firmware update. My guess, one of the considerations Anthem is weighing is how much of their highly-touted Load Monitoring feature needs to be scrapped to guarantee false shutdowns are eliminated.

Thanks,
Darrell
1. Straight away when I first managed to get it into protection mode. The second time she never came back

2. No noticeable sound difference at all. In fact the second time the volume was only at around -20 dB
skinner84 is online now  
post #2655 of 2726 Old 07-09-2014, 10:56 PM
Member
 
misterguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick @ Anthem View Post
I'll go with that one.

AVS reported cases:

- usxplong's 710 w/ Paradigm Signature
- Paul's 710 w/ Klipsch Reference

AVF reported cases:

- richmagnus' 710 w/ unspecified M&K - shutdown the one time that volume was set to -6
- Jamesvicky's 510 w/ KEF R700 though whether the result was protection mode vs a permanent failure for unrelated cause, and the volume setting, weren't mentioned.

Second-gen MRXs have been shipping since last October and apparently 99.9% of them have not gone into protection mode. And when it happens, it's for a reason.
Reputation management/Online Marketing are a few terms that come to mind when I see post like this


So because Anthem Rep Nick made this statement, it must be 100% accurate. We should all just eat this up like the good little sheep that we are. He would have nothing to gain otherwise right Well I guess Anthem should be guzzling champagne and slapping high fives then. Oh wait, he forgot to mention or address the multitude of other buggy problems and hardware failures. It’s probably in his favor to just stick to shut down issues.

Didn’t give us much there Nick!
misterguy is offline  
post #2656 of 2726 Old 07-10-2014, 02:33 AM
AVS Special Member
 
fatbottom's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: UK
Posts: 3,304
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 137
The Anthem MRX 510 is too expensive, £1600. That's a lot of money for a AV amp that I probably wouldn't use the amp stages. I guess it's not the sort of product that is discounted either.

14kg for 710 is light, I would have thought would be double that, but being air cooled skimped on heatsinks. I wouldn't want the fan on anytime. Looks like a 6 or 8cm fan?

Cooling doesn't look too impressive tbh. Think I'll stick to my ATI 2003 ;-)

http://www.hdfever.fr/wp-content/upl...g1-597x447.jpg

Krell Evolution 900e x 7

Bose Jewel speakers.

 

Jealous of my speakers?

fatbottom is online now  
post #2657 of 2726 Old 07-10-2014, 03:24 AM
Member
 
jamesvicky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 14
My issues are not anything to do with the rest oft system, and has been a different issue on most occasions, I suspect the only reason I haven't shut down my latest one is because I use a power amp, when I say shut down it doesn't go into protection and then come back again (like even a cheapo pa amp protection circuit is capable of) it shut down never to turn on again :-(


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jamesvicky is offline  
post #2658 of 2726 Old 07-10-2014, 03:50 AM
Member
 
mazpri's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: ol Europe
Posts: 93
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Thumbs down Rant

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMRSC View Post
... many of the posters here ...still their problems persist....
I don't see many, who is many? At least Nick was trying to make a list, 2ppl of this forum? Come on... This thread is more than 2650 posts already.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Peterson View Post
...$1100 avr .. for a $2300 avr that doesn't do the same job ...
IMHO just a stupid ever returning argument - You paid for Anthem ARC in first place and got it in comparibly cheap combo as AVR - you otherwise could/would have spent way more for Anthem prepro and amps.... apples2apples please
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterguy View Post
.... multitude of other buggy problems and hardware failures....
I don't see that multitude, my issue with missing audio on track hopping has been sorted out by update, HDMI handshaking is a general problem for the whole industry, so what? Try to buy a single brand and maybe you'r lucky.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbottom View Post
....510 is too expensive...
well as far as I know it's the cheapest way of buying an Anthem ARC system with 7.1 capabilities - if that is too expensive then why buying Anthem anyways? It's not like anythig they do comes for small pockets...

A handfull of posters face issues and try to own this thread with epic postings about their experience almost tryin to write a novel or biography or what else. Come on guys - this is tiresome. Get over it - period.
If You have nothing new to tell please don't - anybody can go back a few pages and read what has already been written many times. I don't want to put you on the ignor list just to make this thread readable again.
If You want to dig into things, find a cause or wan't to help other ppl making wise decisisons please try to get more analytical. Nebular exaggerations won't help at all, same goes for wired statements about price. If you feel depressed I recommend havin a beer with a buddy - but there is no workin beer online here.
GaryMB and whodunnit like this.
mazpri is offline  
post #2659 of 2726 Old 07-10-2014, 04:00 AM
Member
 
traianescu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
jamesvicky, so your problem have nothing to do with the speaker's impedance and phase shifting?
if i'm not wrong, i didn't see any other user here with this issue related to mrx510
then this issue of the receiver that shuts down at -15/-10 it happens only the to mrx710 ?
traianescu is online now  
post #2660 of 2726 Old 07-10-2014, 05:38 AM
Member
 
whodunnit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Wherever you go...well there you are. Currently I'm here, but soon I'll be someplace else. But rest assured I'll be there at the time, but I'll be gone before you know it.
Posts: 109
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazpri View Post
I don't see many, who is many? At least Nick was trying to make a list, 2ppl of this forum? Come on... This thread is more than 2650 posts already.

IMHO just a stupid ever returning argument - You paid for Anthem ARC in first place and got it in comparibly cheap combo as AVR - you otherwise could/would have spent way more for Anthem prepro and amps.... apples2apples please

I don't see that multitude, my issue with missing audio on track hopping has been sorted out by update, HDMI handshaking is a general problem for the whole industry, so what? Try to buy a single brand and maybe you'r lucky.
well as far as I know it's the cheapest way of buying an Anthem ARC system with 7.1 capabilities - if that is too expensive then why buying Anthem anyways? It's not like anythig they do comes for small pockets...

A handfull of posters face issues and try to own this thread with epic postings about their experience almost tryin to write a novel or biography or what else. Come on guys - this is tiresome. Get over it - period.
If You have nothing new to tell please don't - anybody can go back a few pages and read what has already been written many times. I don't want to put you on the ignor list just to make this thread readable again.
If You want to dig into things, find a cause or wan't to help other ppl making wise decisisons please try to get more analytical. Nebular exaggerations won't help at all, same goes for wired statements about price. If you feel depressed I recommend havin a beer with a buddy - but there is no workin beer online here.
You said it in a way that I hadn't dared. When people are frustrated...and rightly so....hell, they need that audience. As posters on this site we are a collective that understand their frustration. But its time to let it go guys. Trust me, there isn't a man or woman here that doesn't sympathize with or care about your predicament and what you have gone through or what you are going through. To continue with that great "workin' beer" analogy (good one mazpri!), we've all saddled up to the bar...tossed back a few with you, sympathized , offered constructive (or philosophical support) and ya know what? If the girl did you wrong...move on. If ya want to try continuiing to make things right with her, then hang around...we're here for ya. Otherwise lets go toss some darts or something... We love ya man....you're part of a hobby and a communication network that makes it that much more interesting....but the way things are, your bringing me down.

mazpri- Yesterday evening things seemed to start turning around. Some of the posters you mentioned above are really working towards communicating with Anthem... trying to get answers and learn something. Some of us are relatively new to the forum concept...and the dynamics of this form of communication have been an enlightening experience to say the least. I am sorry if I contributed in any way directly, or indirectly to promoting the rant. It is easy to go that route, even when guarding against it.

As Paul Peterson said a few pages back.....Peace.

I lift a virtual beer with each and every one of you. Cheers.

In memory of Buddy, the world's best pup, who passed peacefully June 28th/2014. He is sorely missed.
whodunnit is online now  
post #2661 of 2726 Old 07-10-2014, 08:02 AM
Member
 
whodunnit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Wherever you go...well there you are. Currently I'm here, but soon I'll be someplace else. But rest assured I'll be there at the time, but I'll be gone before you know it.
Posts: 109
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterguy View Post
Reputation management/Online Marketing are a few terms that come to mind when I see post like this


So because Anthem Rep Nick made this statement, it must be 100% accurate. We should all just eat this up like the good little sheep that we are. He would have nothing to gain otherwise right Well I guess Anthem should be guzzling champagne and slapping high fives then. Oh wait, he forgot to mention or address the multitude of other buggy problems and hardware failures. It’s probably in his favor to just stick to shut down issues.

Didn’t give us much there Nick!
My high 5 and champagne statement was kind of stupid, though it did make for a great visual...

Yep! Nicks a professional alright...knows just when to jump in, steer the mood etc. But it doesn't mean he's dishonest.
If you want to be constructive, we need to toss aside skepticism, step back and add up the numbers. We're up to 5 units now between two forums. I'll dispense with the whole high 5 champagne thing...and simply say I've seen...we've all seen, one hell of a lot worse. Other buggy problems? Now I have zero, the software update fixed 'em. HDMI issues? Mazpri is right. HDMI is such a bloated mess of confused standards and handshake issues that problems are inevitable, and rampant in the industry. I purchased a receiver with HDMI 1.4 precisely because if I waited, I'd be dealing with 2.0...and a whole new set "standards". No way would I be an early adopter on that score. Price? They aren't cheap. But one constant "thread" in this thread has been how damned good these receivers sound. Somebody did something right. Go and look at images of the interiors of the mass market AVR's. In general, they pretty much stay the same from one model year to the next...throw in a few tempting baubles, and for a lot of us, useless ones.... and announce "The latest and greatest thing...rush out and buy one because you're going to be floored at all the improvements we've made!"
Now do the same with the Anthem series. Look at the 700 compared to the 710. Notice any differences? Outside of the amp section, which I believe is the same except for the new load monitoring system, Anthem went through a major redesign. ARC was improved dramatically. They designed their own proprietary eq. system and made it easy to work with, so even an IT nimrod like me could make it work without tearing my hair out...(Not that I have any left). They changed features, got rid of some that frankly I feel can be better served by other components. Gave us basic video processing...that works extremely well I might add. Brilliant. I've already got that on my TV and my DVD player, why the hell do I need that in my receiver, and why should the costs of providing such redundancy be passed on to me when they can be applied to what really matters most...How it Sounds. They took away heights and gave us the option foe bi-amping. Don't like it? Buy something else, but don't rant about it. It was a decision based on customer feedback.
Relative to most of the industry, and given the costs involved, they've been incredibly ambitious with this new line of receivers.

It's a business. Bottom line has to be paramount or they would not exist. Damn tootin' they need "information management," rants scare off customers..and affect that bottom line. But it's also obvious that they listen and make changes to improve their products based on what we like and don't like. It sure would be great if we could do it without vilifying them in the process.

Those of you who have had poor service or experiences working with customer support...that's a damn shame, and frankly a dark mark in the "con" column. They need to fix that, and provide an acceptable resolution for those individuals. But having that consume this forum without recognizing what they have done is a sad statement on the forum dynamic...and points out, at least to me, how crazy a place this is.

So...and I'm sure someones going to give me some snide remark about how I'm a manipulated kissup...I'd appreciate if you didn't...because 1) It's hopelessly immature, and 2) It absolutely does not help to solve anything, and 3) you'll have to buy your own damned beer...

"Thanks Anthem...Hey Nick, how 'bout a beer and we go throw some darts...see what positive input we can have toward improving what I already regard as a superlative and ambitiously designed receiver...By the way, thanks for letting those engineers off there leashes... Well maybe not the one who was project leader on the load monitoring system...Oh you say that's him? The one at the end of the bar drowning his sorrows? I'm going to buy him a fresh one. You know why? He tried to do something different...and it didn't come out, for whatever reason, you know, exactly perfect... at least he tried."*

Oh by the way folks, lest you take the above quote literallyIt is a figurative attempt to connect in a productive fashion... to provide useful and positive feedback. Look at the changes made between the x00 series and the x10 series. They listen, and they innovate. Imagine what the x20 series is going to be like....And since I know this will come up...besides just an improved load monitoring system.

Now I need to hall my old sofa downstairs, because the new one's coming tomorrow. Sure wish I could get a couple of you guys to come over....beers on me! Upside? Sweet new man cave sofa, and I get to play with ARC all over again. Downside? If I spill beer on that sofa, my wife's gonna kill me.

In memory of Buddy, the world's best pup, who passed peacefully June 28th/2014. He is sorely missed.
whodunnit is online now  
post #2662 of 2726 Old 07-10-2014, 09:57 AM
Advanced Member
 
Nick @ Anthem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 858
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinner84 View Post
You can add me to this list also. Mine shutdown permanently
Different issue. Sorry that it happened but only pointing out that load monitoring and hardware failure are two different things except that one is meant to prevent the other. This unit would go through failure analysis as nearly all returns do, and so far (9 months) nothing is trending beyond run of the mill silicon failures.

The most important noise floor is in your head. Always remember to protect your hearing.
Nick @ Anthem is offline  
post #2663 of 2726 Old 07-10-2014, 10:11 AM
Advanced Member
 
Nick @ Anthem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 858
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by OMRSC View Post
Nick...are you saying that "phase shift" is the reason some owners of the 710 are experiencing "shutdown" problems?

An extremely small number of users, and not for phase alone. High phase angle (usually sixtysomething degrees) + low impedance magnitude at same frequency (often in the 3 ohm range) + prodigious amount of bass in source material + cranked up volume = increased chance of protective shutdown from which unit can be turned right back on. It comes down to too much current for the voltage. Even at 2 ohms is not a problem when phase is zero.

The most important noise floor is in your head. Always remember to protect your hearing.
Nick @ Anthem is offline  
post #2664 of 2726 Old 07-10-2014, 10:31 AM
Advanced Member
 
Nick @ Anthem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 858
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhasselhoff View Post
Just a thought, I know its probably a lot of engineering, but if this is prevalent enough perhaps you could generate debug logs that tell why the system protection happened.

We've known for months... the initial user reports went to tech support, then we obtained additional info including .arc2 files, speaker models, source materials, and volume settings, and once defective units were ruled out since the dealers swapped them, we duplicated the systems with probes and event recorders on the amp. Same speaker models (not just our own), same sources, same everything. It was plain and simple amp overload and the protection did what it was supposed to.

The most important noise floor is in your head. Always remember to protect your hearing.
Nick @ Anthem is offline  
post #2665 of 2726 Old 07-10-2014, 10:42 AM
Newbie
 
dhasselhoff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Well, just being a nerd. The guys complaining really had me feeling like this was some massive chronic problem. Like I said, in my experience, and Im kind of a snob to be honest, the MRX-510 has been one of the best purchases Ive made regarding anything in the last 10 years. I almost didn't buy one based on what sounded like a complicated crazy flakey issue. Quite frankly I've been disappointed more than a few times by small high-end companies with things like that and your product has been perfect for me.

Now if only your hockey teams were as good as your AV components! Im a long suffering Kings fan. The last 3 years make the last 30 years feel much better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick @ Anthem View Post
We've known for months... the initial user reports went to tech support, then we obtained additional info including .arc2 files, speaker models, source materials, and volume settings, and once defective units were ruled out since the dealers swapped them, we duplicated the systems with probes and event recorders on the amp. Same speaker models (not just our own), same sources, same everything. It was plain and simple amp overload and the protection did what it was supposed to.
dhasselhoff is offline  
post #2666 of 2726 Old 07-10-2014, 12:15 PM
Member
 
Paul Peterson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Ontario Canada
Posts: 43
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Well I guess there's not much more to be said then. Forget the fact that you paid so much for this problematic avr, you got ARC who cares if it works right or not. All is forgiven. In fact I'll run right out and buy another one. And like Anthem support just forget about those who are having trouble. I will go away and leave you all in peace. I'll even do you all a favor and remove myself from this forum lol. Bottom line out of all of this frustration and disappointment is this. I will never purchase another Anthem product and I'll be sure to give them a great review to anyone else I run into. Good day to you all. Enjoy yer many years of tinkering with something that should have worked properly in the first place.


Cheers
Paul Peterson is offline  
post #2667 of 2726 Old 07-10-2014, 12:32 PM
Senior Member
 
GaryMB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Posts: 241
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Peterson View Post
Well I guess there's not much more to be said then. Forget the fact that you paid so much for this problematic avr, you got ARC who cares if it works right or not. All is forgiven. In fact I'll run right out and buy another one. And like Anthem support just forget about those who are having trouble. I will go away and leave you all in peace. I'll even do you all a favor and remove myself from this forum lol. Bottom line out of all of this frustration and disappointment is this. I will never purchase another Anthem product and I'll be sure to give them a great review to anyone else I run into. Good day to you all. Enjoy yer many years of tinkering with something that should have worked properly in the first place.


Cheers
Didn't you say essentially the same thing back in post #2604? The above is your seventh post since then.

Just sayin...
Breddy likes this.
GaryMB is offline  
post #2668 of 2726 Old 07-10-2014, 12:47 PM
Member
 
BiotypE's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 129
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I have to say I am in a bit of an OCD quandary here. I have an MRX 500 which I recently upgraded from an MRX 300. Love the musicality of smoothness of these units. I also have a brand new Pioneer sc-1523-k.

In the realm of music, the pio can't touch the MRX however, in the area of surround sound the Pio has a much more coherent sound field vs the MRX. I have no problem at all with the sound coming out of the Anthem, in fact, I love it but it seems to lack that enveloping presence when watching movie or TV content of any flavor.

My question to those who have owned an older MRX 300, 500, 700 and upgraded to the 10 series; Is there any appreciable gains in sound quality specific to Movie/TV listening between the old and the new models?

I keep looking for that perfect AVR and I am not certain I will find it. With the Anthem I have great powerful, clear and coherent music but somewhat underwhelming surround sound presence and with the Pio, I get lackluster music performance, great surround presence for movie content and a very digitized sound. Is there any avr that is both musical and performs well with Movie/TV content.

I am hoping someone chimes in and says the new Anthem MRX..10 AVRs are THAT much better but I have a feeling I'm not going to get that.

Your informed opinions are much appreciated.

Last edited by BiotypE; 07-10-2014 at 12:53 PM.
BiotypE is offline  
post #2669 of 2726 Old 07-10-2014, 01:20 PM
Member
 
whodunnit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Wherever you go...well there you are. Currently I'm here, but soon I'll be someplace else. But rest assured I'll be there at the time, but I'll be gone before you know it.
Posts: 109
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Peterson View Post
Well I guess there's not much more to be said then. Forget the fact that you paid so much for this problematic avr, you got ARC who cares if it works right or not. All is forgiven. In fact I'll run right out and buy another one. And like Anthem support just forget about those who are having trouble. I will go away and leave you all in peace. I'll even do you all a favor and remove myself from this forum lol. Bottom line out of all of this frustration and disappointment is this. I will never purchase another Anthem product and I'll be sure to give them a great review to anyone else I run into. Good day to you all. Enjoy yer many years of tinkering with something that should have worked properly in the first place.


Cheers
Paul...don't you get it? Some of us are trying to help you here. Maybe it's to little to late, but I bet a number of people here think Anthem should take your receiver back and reimburse you.

Nick....though I realize you may have no control over such matters, if there is anyway you can help provide Paul some sort of positive resolution? I have no idea how things work with your dealer network, whether your hands are tied...whatever, but Paul's leaving this forum (for the second time I might add Paul, wink,wink, nudge nudge)because some of us got tired of the whole "squeaky wheel" issues that people were having because it was drowning the forum. Doesn't change the fact that his problem was real. It's not his fault that his speakers don't play nice with his receiver. His previous Onkyo did, why shouldn't he expect the same from his MRX? For whatever reason he waited too long to do something about it. Trust me, it's not like his problems aren't on record in this forum! He was offered store credit...but you know...if that store didn't have anything else you were interested in that offer amounts to exactly zilch. If it were happening to me, I'd feel the same way...Any practical way this could be made right?
Nick...If I've put you on the spot, I apologize...but from where I'm sitting, and with the information I've got...Paul, and a few others here, really could use an advocate right now.
Breddy, Saturn94 and OMRSC like this.

In memory of Buddy, the world's best pup, who passed peacefully June 28th/2014. He is sorely missed.
whodunnit is online now  
post #2670 of 2726 Old 07-10-2014, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Saturn94's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 4,133
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by whodunnit View Post
Paul...don't you get it? Some of us are trying to help you here. Maybe it's to little to late, but I bet a number of people here think Anthem should take your receiver back and reimburse you.

Nick....though I realize you may have no control over such matters, if there is anyway you can help provide Paul some sort of positive resolution? I have no idea how things work with your dealer network, whether your hands are tied...whatever, but Paul's leaving this forum (for the second time I might add Paul, wink,wink, nudge nudge)because some of us got tired of the whole "squeaky wheel" issues that people were having because it was drowning the forum. Doesn't change the fact that his problem was real. It's not his fault that his speakers don't play nice with his receiver. His previous Onkyo did, why shouldn't he expect the same from his MRX? For whatever reason he waited too long to do something about it. Trust me, it's not like his problems aren't on record in this forum! He was offered store credit...but you know...if that store didn't have anything else you were interested in that offer amounts to exactly zilch. If it were happening to me, I'd feel the same way...Any practical way this could be made right?
Nick...If I've put you on the spot, I apologize...but from where I'm sitting, and with the information I've got...Paul, and a few others here, really could use an advocate right now.
+1
OMRSC likes this.

Saturn94 is offline  
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Anthem Mrx710 , Anthem Mrx510 , Anthem Mrx310

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off