Anthem MRX Receivers - 310, 510, 710 Owners Thread & Tweaking Guide - Page 91 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2701 of 2719 Old 07-14-2014, 04:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCrash450 View Post
The cable run is about 25 feet. Equipment is located in a well ventilated closet.
If your cable is not a powered one that is most likely the issue. I would try a powered one like the redmere from monoprice.
HDMI spec is 6 feets

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2702 of 2719 Old 07-14-2014, 08:26 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 15
There is no spec length on hdmi cables. http://www.hdmi.org/installers/longcablelengths.aspx.

Also there is a reference to having cables longer than the standard 10 meters.
post #2703 of 2719 Old 07-15-2014, 02:15 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
...The cable run is about 25 feet. ...
now I see - HDMI needs to have signals sent in both ways to work, and these signals must be received/recognized on both ends. So you end up in a situation where you need two times (in either direction) a good enough sending signal and a receiving element with sufficient sensitivity. AFAIK HDMI should just work up to 25 feet. For 1080p at 25 feet and more active elements are recommended: See HDMI Standard Org guide. But the devices may have some quality variance as well.
You can either try better cables that have a lower resistance, or you can add an active HDMI element in the line, like an extender or a darbee box and give it a try. Maybe you have a local hifi seller at hand who might lend you some equipment for the chance of a new happy customer....
post #2704 of 2719 Old 07-15-2014, 07:11 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
All fixed with latest firmware?

I'm planning to upgrade from a Denon 4311ci to the Anthem MRX 710 when I move to a new house in September. I've been tempted by Anthem hardware for years, but the lack of a Mac version of the ARC system has prevented me from making the jump. After reading much of this thread, it seems worth dealing with Windows via Parallels or whatever for an hour. Thank you to everybody who has posted straightforward instructions about that.

My question is about the audio dropouts when listening to music - where the receiver was dropping the first second of each new audio track. This was an issue hundreds of posts ago, and it seems like it's fixed, but I'm not 100% clear that the subsequent firmware updates have completely remedied that. (I tried reading through everything, but there are almost 3000 posts here now!) Since Anthem doesn't publish a list of firmware changes (seriously?!), can somebody confirm that the audio dropouts are solved?
post #2705 of 2719 Old 07-15-2014, 07:18 AM

Location: Wherever you go...well there you are. Currently I'm here, but soon I'll be someplace else. But rest assured I'll be there at the time, but I'll be gone before you know it.
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osti View Post
I'm planning to upgrade from a Denon 4311ci to the Anthem MRX 710 when I move to a new house in September. I've been tempted by Anthem hardware for years, but the lack of a Mac version of the ARC system has prevented me from making the jump. After reading much of this thread, it seems worth dealing with Windows via Parallels or whatever for an hour. Thank you to everybody who has posted straightforward instructions about that.

My question is about the audio dropouts when listening to music - where the receiver was dropping the first second of each new audio track. This was an issue hundreds of posts ago, and it seems like it's fixed, but I'm not 100% clear that the subsequent firmware updates have completely remedied that. (I tried reading through everything, but there are almost 3000 posts here now!) Since Anthem doesn't publish a list of firmware changes (seriously?!), can somebody confirm that the audio dropouts are solved?
No more drop outs from my experience...though I don't stream or anything, just simple satellite and DVD/CD hookup. In general posts seem to reflect that this issue is pretty much resolved with latest firmware.
Osti likes this.

In memory of Buddy, the world's best pup, who passed peacefully June 28th/2014. He is sorely missed.
post #2706 of 2719 Old 07-15-2014, 08:18 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 18
find FW changes in the update files

Quote:
.... Anthem doesn't publish a list of firmware changes (seriously?!)...
hi Osti
AFAIK the firware got just one official/stable new release, everything else was kinda guided beta testing. Inside the zip file the text file contains the changes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthem MRX x10 software installation.txt
Changes in v1.2.1:

1. Fixed issue where with certain source components, the first half-second of music tracks was muted.

2. Fixes for AnthemLogic availability for certain speaker configurations, and output levels.

3. Added Control4 SDDP.

4. Various fixes and improvements for serial and IP communication and feedback (refer to notes in latest IP/serial command list).

5. Zone 2 audio output wasn't always muting when Main was on and Zone 2 was off - fixed.
I doubt the audio mute problem will come up again and if so it will be fixed immediately. I hope U don't make your decision just based on a certain firmware release. Anthems pertinacious efforts in fixing issues and maxing out a given hardware have been proven in the other series -> they really do care.

Last edited by mazpri; 07-15-2014 at 09:07 AM. Reason: typo
post #2707 of 2719 Old 07-16-2014, 12:36 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Ok. First I want to thank you for all your help and suggestions regarding my HDMI dropout issue. As part of my pulling out hair process I spoke to Anthem and my dealer in addition to all the fine suggestions I received on this thread. However, I am extremely happy to report I believe I found the issue. I believe the HDMI cable going to my TV is bad. It seems to "short" in certain orientations. If I was to put slight pressure on the cable in certain conditions the signal/s drop. I don't believe it to be a bad output port on the receiver, in fact I strongly believe the receiver is quite fine!

Some of what threw me off was through my process of elimination, I hooked up my old Onkyo to my other TV. I just wanted to make sure I am not going crazy with the main TV configuration. Well, that piece of Onkyo junk still has it's typically HDMI issue even on a complete separate system. Then of course I tried many other setups on the main system with the MRX. Tried old HDMI cables between components, different TV, firmware update on TV, checked power supply, etc. I am not 100 percent the HDMI cable going to the TV is the issue but I am about 90% certain it is bad. I will know soon as I have ordered a new 25' 22AWG HDMI from monoprice, it will be here tomorrow. Unfortunately, the cable I ordered is the same cable that went bad after a few years. I did mess with my current cable due to equipment changes and messing with the Onkyo 606 so perhaps that contributed to it's early demise. Hopefully this one lasts a little longer.

Thanks again, I will provide a final follow up upon installation of new cable. BTW, that ARC system is amazing!!! Easy to setup, very cool display of frequency response and has done a great job at balancing my system and making the FV15HP sub truly seamless. I can see this MRX being the pride of my system....well, along with the signature speakers....ohh. and the sub. I am getting very close to audio nirvana!
post #2708 of 2719 Old 07-16-2014, 05:07 AM

Location: Wherever you go...well there you are. Currently I'm here, but soon I'll be someplace else. But rest assured I'll be there at the time, but I'll be gone before you know it.
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Ok. First I want to thank you for all your help and suggestions regarding my HDMI dropout issue. As part of my pulling out hair process I spoke to Anthem and my dealer in addition to all the fine suggestions I received on this thread. However, I am extremely happy to report I believe I found the issue. I believe the HDMI cable going to my TV is bad. It seems to "short" in certain orientations. If I was to put slight pressure on the cable in certain conditions the signal/s drop. I don't believe it to be a bad output port on the receiver, in fact I strongly believe the receiver is quite fine!

Some of what threw me off was through my process of elimination, I hooked up my old Onkyo to my other TV. I just wanted to make sure I am not going crazy with the main TV configuration. Well, that piece of Onkyo junk still has it's typically HDMI issue even on a complete separate system. Then of course I tried many other setups on the main system with the MRX. Tried old HDMI cables between components, different TV, firmware update on TV, checked power supply, etc. I am not 100 percent the HDMI cable going to the TV is the issue but I am about 90% certain it is bad. I will know soon as I have ordered a new 25' 22AWG HDMI from monoprice, it will be here tomorrow. Unfortunately, the cable I ordered is the same cable that went bad after a few years. I did mess with my current cable due to equipment changes and messing with the Onkyo 606 so perhaps that contributed to it's early demise. Hopefully this one lasts a little longer.

Thanks again, I will provide a final follow up upon installation of new cable. BTW, that ARC system is amazing!!! Easy to setup, very cool display of frequency response and has done a great job at balancing my system and making the FV15HP sub truly seamless. I can see this MRX being the pride of my system....well, along with the signature speakers....ohh. and the sub. I am getting very close to audio nirvana!
Great news...both about the discovery, but also about the helpful feed back you got from members of this site. Sounds likely you've nailed it. Good luck!

In memory of Buddy, the world's best pup, who passed peacefully June 28th/2014. He is sorely missed.
post #2709 of 2719 Old 07-17-2014, 11:23 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Dropouts appear to be fixed

All is well after the latest FW update. For me anyway.

Quote:

post #2710 of 2719 Old 07-18-2014, 01:53 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
The cable run is about 25 feet.
Always use good quality cables. I use Audioquest 10 & 12m (32' & 40') HDMI's with no issues.
post #2711 of 2719 Old 07-18-2014, 03:33 PM

Liked: 21
You don't have to spend the money that Audioquest charges to get a good cable. I use a 30ft cable that I purchased from Firefold.com with no issues at all. It is heavier gauge than most. Cost was about $25.
post #2712 of 2719 Old 07-19-2014, 07:44 AM

True, there are cheaper cables that can work and video on HDMI can be hard to see the difference. I use AQ for shorter runs for the audio quality and have had 100% reliability on the long runs... I know I won't have to go back for a HDMI problem.
post #2713 of 2719 Old 07-19-2014, 10:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 77
I've had good luck with Monoprice Redmere HDMI cables and they aren't that expensive for long runs.
post #2714 of 2719 Old 07-19-2014, 08:25 PM

Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick @ Anthem View Post
The question now is whether you require something and in such a case please contact tech support with a problem description emerging from your system.

Before expressing closure in his most recent communication with tech support, Paul fixed the problem his way while we were still in the middle of the investigation. No one else reported shutdowns involving the same speakers playing loud enough for bass-heavy music to be enjoyed in the kitchen (I'm not making that up), so we moved on.

The whole idea of AVR as prepro is nothing new yet usxplong's is still the only comparable case in this entire massive discussion, i.e. strictly protection mode not hardware failure as would be covered by replacement unit. Don't confuse the two unless you would like to spend a lot of time fixing nothing.

As for price vs value it's relative, for example one reviewer who did the most comprehensive evaluations of room correction systems to be seen anywhere concluded that MRX is a pro quality room eq with an AVR included for free.
I've been in business long enough to know nothing is ever free... I like my MRX 300 and I'll likely buy another Anthem MRX down the road but I'm not sure Anthem offers the best bang for buck out there... Over $1000 I think Cambridge 551R is a tough one to beat.

Sierra-2 LCR
HTM-200 rears
Rythmik E15HP
Anthem MRX-300
Panny 60"ST60
-$7500ish : (
post #2715 of 2719 Old 07-20-2014, 07:21 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustABrah View Post
I've been in business long enough to know nothing is ever free... I like my MRX 300 and I'll likely buy another Anthem MRX down the road but I'm not sure Anthem offers the best bang for buck out there... Over $1000 I think Cambridge 551R is a tough one to beat.
It's all a matter of perspective. Some people would be fine with a sound bar, or a $99 Sherwood stereo. Some want Bluetooth, WiFi, AirPlay, and all of that jazz too in their receivers and in a package as dirt cheap as possible.

Room treatments would be expensive (and not particularly wife friendly) so I made due with using the built in bookcases, adding a basic rug to the wood floor, and utilizing the existing popcorn ceiling. In the end, ARC took care of the rest and even my wife says that the Anthem sounded better than my previous Integra receiver. I also tried an equivalent (and cheaper) NAD receiver with no room correction and it was no contest either.

If you have a fully treated theater room, the ARC feature may not be as effective. If you are a person who strives to get the best sound quality in an average room, I think it is a great value and "bang for the buck"! Evidently, their previous generation was successful enough that the business refreshed it with the x10 lineup.

Last edited by Speaker Robert; 07-20-2014 at 07:49 AM.
post #2716 of 2719 Old Yesterday, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGriff1051 View Post
So here is an interesting one. My new MRX-710 (ok month old) will not play 24/192 files through my Musical Fidelity Vlink 192. Called Anthem last week and the guy I talked to told me to try some stuff and get back to him. I spent 3 hours this weekend reinstalling JRiver, MF Software, switching from USB3.0 to USB 2.0, reinstalling the latest MRX firmware, trying with my MacBook Pro with Audivana etc. Sent him an email this am of the list of things that I tried. He talked to the engineers and "evidently" the MRX Gen2 only accepts 24/192 over HDMI not Digital coax...it accepts 176kH upsampled or downsampled but not 192kH. Pretty sure my old MRX did, my old SC-79, SC-57 did, my Denon's did. The only other on that didn't was Integra. While I know that I will never hear a difference in downsampling my 192kH files, I'm fairly disappointed that receiver clearly focused on sound quality would omit this but allow 176kH to pass when I've never seen a file at 176kH. Asked if they could add this capability...waiting to hear but not hopeful.

So I got an email back from Piero at Anthem and he say's "Sorry for the late reply. What is comes down to is limited bandwidth on the S/PDIF hardware in this case."

So let me get this right, Anthem charges $2K for a receiver aimed at people who value sound above all else and are more likely to have high-res files but uses hardware that limits bandwidth via SPDIF so that it will can play everything up to 24/176 via SPDIF but not 24/192.

Nick, can you confirm that this is the case? The defies all logic IMO. Thank you in advance.
post #2717 of 2719 Old Today, 06:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by saprano View Post
Can't wait to test it out. Not many stores carry it though. I found only one dealer in NYC that has it. Athem uses AB amps right?

Hey Saprano, did you go to the dealer with the Anthem AVR's?? If so which one, you can PM if you like.

Thanks

Djoel
post #2718 of 2719 Old Today, 08:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djoel View Post
Hey Saprano, did you go to the dealer with the Anthem AVR's?? If so which one, you can PM if you like.

Thanks

Djoel
I didn't get a chance to go yet but it's J&V audio. Here's their website- http://www.jandvaudio.com/ Never got around to go there and take a listen. But will soon. Maby we can meet up!
Djoel likes this.

home theater addict
post #2719 of 2719 Old Today, 08:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by saprano View Post
I didn't get a chance to go yet but it's J&V audio. Here's their website- http://www.jandvaudio.com/ Never got around to go there and take a listen. But will soon. Maby we can meet up!

Thanks for the info man, would like to meet up and get a listen for sure. (The place isn't that far from my job.)

Dan
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Anthem Mrx710 , Anthem Mrx510 , Anthem Mrx310

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page