Anthem MRX Receivers - 310, 510, 710 Owners Thread & Tweaking Guide - Page 94 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2791 of 3367 Old 08-08-2014, 10:07 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkeeler10 View Post
Well, I wouldn't expect them to get Atmos going immediately. The MRX x10 receivers are barely one year old, and the first-gen lasted maybe three years before the second-gen came out. Doing Atmos right would really require a pretty substantial overhaul (need to add some output channels and upgrade/add processing chips for Atmos decoding and ARC processing of all those channels, and rewrite firmware, etc).

I would hope that the next generation of MRX will have Atmos, in a year or two. It probably makes sense for Anthem to wait, too, since perhaps Auro and DTS will have their own consumer "3D audio" codecs up and running by then, and the technology will have had some time to settle.

I agree that it is going to take time and money to do it right but at the same time if these new receivers and pre/pros are coming out with these features, their top of the line D2V sales will suffer. along with the MRX. When the majority of users want to spend money they look into future proofing as much as they can and if they see a receiver with HDMI 1.4 and no atmos then that will cut into sales in my opinion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2792 of 3367 Old 08-08-2014, 11:40 AM

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwheelwright View Post
I agree that it is going to take time and money to do it right but at the same time if these new receivers and pre/pros are coming out with these features, their top of the line D2V sales will suffer. along with the MRX. When the majority of users want to spend money they look into future proofing as much as they can and if they see a receiver with HDMI 1.4 and no atmos then that will cut into sales in my opinion.
Agreed. Though a smaller company like Anthem can't quite stay at the bleeding edge like the Japanese brands, who update their receivers every year. I think the D2V is overdue for a refresh. I know Nick responded to speculation of such a refresh, noting that it was not imminent. But I have to imagine they're looking at it, and any such refresh should absolutely include Atmos at this point, with the capability to do 13-15 channels IMO.

The good news for them is that other similar companies that make products in the class of the D2V, such as Classe, Theta, etc. are not likely to get ahead of Anthem on this. Unfortunately not the case with receivers. Although companies like Arcam, Cambridge, Rotel etc will be in the same boat as Anthem with their receivers.

post #2793 of 3367 Old 08-08-2014, 01:20 PM

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkeeler10 View Post
Agreed. Though a smaller company like Anthem can't quite stay at the bleeding edge like the Japanese brands, who update their receivers every year. I think the D2V is overdue for a refresh. I know Nick responded to speculation of such a refresh, noting that it was not imminent. But I have to imagine they're looking at it, and any such refresh should absolutely include Atmos at this point, with the capability to do 13-15 channels IMO.

The good news for them is that other similar companies that make products in the class of the D2V, such as Classe, Theta, etc. are not likely to get ahead of Anthem on this. Unfortunately not the case with receivers. Although companies like Arcam, Cambridge, Rotel etc will be in the same boat as Anthem with their receivers.

I agree with everything you said. But then I also look at the fact that products like the P5 which were $5000 back in 2009 are now almost double the price when nothing changed? I'm sure costs go up over time but to increase $3500 for the same product a few years later? Their making money, don't be fooled. How about the price of the D2V? It was $7500 then they introduced 3D and the cost rose to $9500. Then you have the speakers from their sister company. In 2010 the cost of Piano Black S8s v3 cost $8798 and are now $10k.

Now with all of that being said, I have a full signature set up that I just got and am planning on getting a P5 and P2 most likely in the future. However I am holding out to see what they come out with as far as a pre\pro before I decide to upgrade my MRX700.

I may be a hypocrite to complain about how much these things cost and the amount the prices have increased in a few years and then own them, but hey at least I can admit it! ;-)
post #2794 of 3367 Old 08-08-2014, 04:05 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Are the microphones that are shipped with ARC reasonably accurate in the bass frequencies without the calibration files?

I ask because I've been using the ARC mic with REW to adjust the subwoofer distance to achieve the smoothest crossover transition.

Theater room: Sony VPL HW30ES, DIY 100" screen with Seymour Centerstage XD, 5 Revel M105, 2 JBL Studio 210, 4 SVS SB12-NSD, Anthem MRX-300
Living room: Panasonic TC-P60VT60, 3 KEF LS50, Pioneer SW-8, Marantz NR1603
post #2795 of 3367 Old 08-08-2014, 05:58 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
I agree with everything you said. But then I also look at the fact that products like the P5 which were $5000 back in 2009 are now almost double the price when nothing changed? I'm sure costs go up over time but to increase $3500 for the same product a few years later? Their making money, don't be fooled. How about the price of the D2V? It was $7500 then they introduced 3D and the cost rose to $9500. Then you have the speakers from their sister company. In 2010 the cost of Piano Black S8s v3 cost $8798 and are now $10k.

Now with all of that being said, I have a full signature set up that I just got and am planning on getting a P5 and P2 most likely in the future. However I am holding out to see what they come out with as far as a pre\pro before I decide to upgrade my MRX700.

I may be a hypocrite to complain about how much these things cost and the amount the prices have increased in a few years and then own them, but hey at least I can admit it! ;-)

Any sub over 2-3k is silly IMOP. Unless it is for a professional venue.

Samsung 65" F7100
Anthem MRX-310 (5.1)
Oppo BDP-103
Von Schweikert - VR-2 main,. LCR-15 Center
Def Tech. - Pro Monitor 800 Surrounds
HSU - VTF-2 MK2 Sub

post #2796 of 3367 Old 08-08-2014, 10:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by SyntheticShrimp View Post
Are the microphones that are shipped with ARC reasonably accurate in the bass frequencies without the calibration files?
Not for critical measurement, hence the purpose of the calibration. On the other hand if you're only experimenting with settings that would result in highest SPL in the crossover region (not to be confused with measuring for linearity through the region) I'd say it's worth a try but you might want to let the ear decide.
SyntheticShrimp likes this.

The most important noise floor is in your head. Always remember to protect your hearing.
post #2797 of 3367 Old 08-08-2014, 11:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
products like the P5 which were $5000 back in 2009 are now almost double the price when nothing changed? ... How about the price of the D2V? It was $7500 then they introduced 3D and the cost rose to $9500
$5K was P5 introductory pricing in 2003, not 2009, and a lot of things changed. Price of aluminum doubled by the next five years and copper quadrupled. There's plenty of both in the chassis, heatsinks, and circuitry especially the five 3/4 kVA transformers. This is in addition to common increases for things like labour, shipping, the electricity bill etc. The next price list I have at hand is from 2007, where the P5 was $6500. Now it's $8500. Compare price history of any hi-end amp in production over the same period.

D2v target price was 8500 at introduction but was instead released at the same price as the outgoing D2 which was less expensive to produce (half as many HDMI connections, older cheaper key components for example). This was late 2008 and the luxury goods market was in a nosedive in response to the economic crash. Then there's the drastic change between US and Canadian currency values due to the fallout. Nearly six years and a 3D mod later, price is a modest $1K increase on original target, a necessary move to keep production running.

The most important noise floor is in your head. Always remember to protect your hearing.
post #2798 of 3367 Old 08-08-2014, 11:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajdawar View Post
Yeah, but unfortunately I have Config 2 set up for a different sweet spot that I use for solitary viewing and listening. That, and the fact that this is a workaround for a missing feature that should be included IMHO.
Noted but I have to say that in over 14 years of being involved with prepro and AVR specification and support, this is a rare request. If indications are that less than around 15% of users will use a feature, chances are that it will be omitted so design and user interface can be streamlined. The first two features on every list are ease of use and reliability, and one way of attaining a 10% improvement is to find ten places that can be improved by 1%.

post #2799 of 3367 Old 08-09-2014, 01:05 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anthem MRX Receivers - 310, 510, 710 Owners Thread & Tweaking Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick @ Anthem View Post
Noted but I have to say that in over 14 years of being involved with prepro and AVR specification and support, this is a rare request. If indications are that less than around 15% of users will use a feature, chances are that it will be omitted so design and user interface can be streamlined. The first two features on every list are ease of use and reliability, and one way of attaining a 10% improvement is to find ten places that can be improved by 1%.

Nick, thank you for the response. I never realized I was in such a tiny minority. I miss the feature because of numerous reasons, like comparing the surround mix with stereo, making TV broadcasts with surrounds boosted too high due to very aggressive compression far more easy to deal with (pretty much all network TV carried by Dish), late night listening where if the surrounds are active it can disturb people trying to sleep whereas Stereo would let me capsize everything to the front of the room, away from the bedrooms, which let's me hear the dialog without everything else becoming way louder, etc.
I totally get your point and I appreciate your reply. I didn't think that adding a button on the remote for functionality already built in (setting up a 2.1 or 2.0 Config causes everything to be dowmixed to Stereo) would add to the whole price/feature/complexity matrix to such an extent. And you are 100% right now that I think about it. I seem to be the only poster to this thread asking for the feature.
Thank you for all the help and input you provide to us.

Raj

Last edited by rajdawar; 08-09-2014 at 01:08 AM.
post #2800 of 3367 Old 08-09-2014, 01:09 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Rajdawar sounds like you just need to use the levels button on the remote and knock the center channel up when late at night
post #2801 of 3367 Old 08-09-2014, 05:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 101
I use a manual profile for movies that runs a hotter center channel.
post #2802 of 3367 Old 08-09-2014, 06:31 AM

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 60
I just got my new MRX 710 hooked up last night. I am using it as a 100% preamp and because of my lack of patience jumped right in to see what it sounded like. I played music for a while and as I played with it I thought I could here a distortion like noise coming from the front left speaker. I dismissed it me as being crazy and moved on to placing my new speakers in the system. Once I got everything setup and ran ARC I sat down to listen to music again. This time the distortion/noise coming from the front left speaker was even more obvious. The weird thing is that it was only noticeable on certain frequencies and sounded an awful lot like clipping. I turned the system down to almost a whisper and played the same musical passages and got the same noise again, but this time at that much lower volume. Has anyone experienced this before on an Anthem AVR? I have had three different processors and a Pioneer Elite AVR on this system and never heard this until now. I tried changing cables and even hooked the amplifier up to a different source to verify the amplifier and speaker. No noise on the same music. It has to be the AVR, but I have never had anything like this happen before. Could the AVR really be bad?

The Cave: Sony VPL-VW600ES, 110" Elite Fixed, Oppo BDP-103D, Apple TV 3, Marantz SR-7009, 3 x Emotiva XPA-1 Gen2 , 4 x Emotiva XPA-1L, MartinLogan Motion 60XT, MartinLogan Motion 50XT, 4 x MartinLogan MotionFX, 2 x Rythmik FV15HP, 4 x Gallo Nucleus Micro (Atmos Height)
post #2803 of 3367 Old 08-09-2014, 09:21 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Since we are talking feature requests - how about the ability to down mix surround signals to stereo? Pretty please Anthem? Even throwaway junk can do that. Why not your superlative product?
YES YES 1000X YES please.
post #2804 of 3367 Old 08-09-2014, 09:28 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Yeah, but unfortunately I have Config 2 set up for a different sweet spot that I use for solitary viewing and listening. That, and the fact that this is a workaround for a missing feature that should be included IMHO. This isn't a bells-and-whistles feature that is not really needed like different ambience modes or something, this is a feature that every other AV Receiver I've ever owned had.
I would be cool with this solution if there were maybe 4 configs rather than just 2. I generally have a movie and a music. That leaves no extra profile to play with or experiment back and forth without have to re upload and such.

I really would love a 2.0 mode that bypasses everything, without having to ARC one out. Give me the source, the amp and my speakers.
OMRSC likes this.
post #2805 of 3367 Old 08-09-2014, 09:29 AM

Location: Wherever you go...well there you are. Currently I'm here, but soon I'll be someplace else. But rest assured I'll be there at the time, but I'll be gone before you know it.
Liked: 59
^
That should not be. I'd go back to my dealer with unit in hand and set it up there. I suspect you have a defective receiver, especially given you only have the problem with the Anthem and none of your other processors. PIA I know...sorry you're having problems.

In memory of Buddy, the world's best pup, who passed peacefully June 28th/2014. He is sorely missed.
post #2806 of 3367 Old 08-09-2014, 09:35 AM

Location: Wherever you go...well there you are. Currently I'm here, but soon I'll be someplace else. But rest assured I'll be there at the time, but I'll be gone before you know it.
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breddy View Post
I would be cool with this solution if there were maybe 4 configs rather than just 2. I generally have a movie and a music. That leaves no extra profile to play with or experiment back and forth without have to re upload and such.

I really would love a 2.0 mode that bypasses everything, without having to ARC one out. Give me the source, the amp and my speakers.
Yeah I've thought of this one too...but it's primarily, at least for me... that it's fun to play, and be able to switch back and forth for comparison purposes...which quite frankly would just have me messing about more than just listening to music...so again, maybe not! Sometimes I find myself more involved with the equipment and less so for the reason I own it! I'm sure I'm not alone....
OMRSC likes this.

In memory of Buddy, the world's best pup, who passed peacefully June 28th/2014. He is sorely missed.
post #2807 of 3367 Old 08-09-2014, 02:27 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breddy View Post
YES YES 1000X YES please.
Do the Anthems have the function to play same music to all speakers?
post #2808 of 3367 Old 08-09-2014, 02:35 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by smile View Post
Do the Anthems have the function to play same music to all speakers?
I believe they do...I think it's the equivalent of "All Channel Stereo". This is my selection when listening to music.
post #2809 of 3367 Old 08-09-2014, 02:50 PM

I'd like to take a moment to compliment Nick for answering questions from Anthem's customers...current and prospective. While he may not give us the answers we're looking for, at least he responds with intelligent commentary.

That's what I call customer service...and beyond excellent sound and performance, this is another area in which Anthem excels.
Breddy likes this.

Last edited by OMRSC; 08-09-2014 at 03:00 PM.
post #2810 of 3367 Old 08-09-2014, 04:10 PM

Useful observations by Breddy and whodunnit. I, too, would like to see the inclusion of additional speaker configs: a pair for music and movies, and a pair for testing/playing, evaluation, or additional options. I don't know what's involved in this from a "circuitry" or cost perspective, but I believe it might be useful.

Here's something else I would like to see: the inclusion of a variable "loudness" compensation feature similar to that provided by Yamaha and Mcintosh back in the '70s and '80s. When I did a side-by-side comparison of this at an audio "salon" in Atlanta in '83, I was convinced enough of the improvement to return the next day and exchange my Marantz 3800 pre-amp for a Mcintosh C27.

How this might affect Anthem's ARC, I've no idea...but I would be interested in hearing Anthem's take on this.
Breddy likes this.
post #2811 of 3367 Old 08-09-2014, 06:15 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Buggy Anthem Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balthazar2k4 View Post
I just got my new MRX 710 hooked up last night. I am using it as a 100% preamp and because of my lack of patience jumped right in to see what it sounded like. I played music for a while and as I played with it I thought I could here a distortion like noise coming from the front left speaker. I dismissed it me as being crazy and moved on to placing my new speakers in the system. Once I got everything setup and ran ARC I sat down to listen to music again. This time the distortion/noise coming from the front left speaker was even more obvious. The weird thing is that it was only noticeable on certain frequencies and sounded an awful lot like clipping. I turned the system down to almost a whisper and played the same musical passages and got the same noise again, but this time at that much lower volume. Has anyone experienced this before on an Anthem AVR? I have had three different processors and a Pioneer Elite AVR on this system and never heard this until now. I tried changing cables and even hooked the amplifier up to a different source to verify the amplifier and speaker. No noise on the same music. It has to be the AVR, but I have never had anything like this happen before. Could the AVR really be bad?
Sounds like one of the main issues that I have. I am currently dealing with Anthem to get this fixed but they are not an easy company to deal with. That’s putting it very, very, politely. Like any profit seeking company they seem to deny a problem exists unless it affects their bottom line too much. This clipping sound might be a hardware defect that is not hurting sales enough to warrant a fix. Also everyone with this issue seems to have different amounts of clipping sounds.

The clipping sound is actually very common with the MRX line if you do your research. People usually label it as an input sensitivity or popping sound with music. I too notice this mostly with the left front speaker. Some people only notice this sound with certain types of music (piano heavy) and others cannot even play music at all due to the constant noise.

Some people have found ways around this issue---Turn off ARC permanently, lower computer source volume, play differently music, but my advice to you is just make things easy for yourself and return it to your local dealer. If you work with Anthem to fix the issue you are just asking for a big headache. This company does not play nice. Obviously you would want to notify Anthem of the issue in order to help the rest of us out but I don’t want to see you go through the same mess that I am in.

Oh did I mention they make you pay shipping to send back the defective receiver Let me see an Anthem fanboy put a positive spin on that bit of information.
Paul Peterson likes this.
post #2812 of 3367 Old 08-09-2014, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterguy View Post
Sounds like one of the main issues that I have. I am currently dealing with Anthem to get this fixed but they are not an easy company to deal with. That’s putting it very, very, politely. Like any profit seeking company they seem to deny a problem exists unless it affects their bottom line too much. This clipping sound might be a hardware defect that is not hurting sales enough to warrant a fix. Also everyone with this issue seems to have different amounts of clipping sounds.

The clipping sound is actually very common with the MRX line if you do your research. People usually label it as an input sensitivity or popping sound with music. I too notice this mostly with the left front speaker. Some people only notice this sound with certain types of music (piano heavy) and others cannot even play music at all due to the constant noise.

Some people have found ways around this issue---Turn off ARC permanently, lower computer source volume, play differently music, but my advice to you is just make things easy for yourself and return it to your local dealer. If you work with Anthem to fix the issue you are just asking for a big headache. This company does not play nice. Obviously you would want to notify Anthem of the issue in order to help the rest of us out but I don’t want to see you go through the same mess that I am in.

Oh did I mention they make you pay shipping to send back the defective receiver Let me see an Anthem fanboy put a positive spin on that bit of information.
That's not what I wanted to hear at all. I had read a couple places about clipping sounds on the x00 series, but I had not seen anything on the x10 series. I returned the 710 to my dealer today and they are getting me a replacement, but only after I threw a fit. They basically tried to convince me that it was all in my mind. If the replacement has the same problem then I am not sure what I'm going to do. What I do know is that I am not going to play this game endlessly.

The Cave: Sony VPL-VW600ES, 110" Elite Fixed, Oppo BDP-103D, Apple TV 3, Marantz SR-7009, 3 x Emotiva XPA-1 Gen2 , 4 x Emotiva XPA-1L, MartinLogan Motion 60XT, MartinLogan Motion 50XT, 4 x MartinLogan MotionFX, 2 x Rythmik FV15HP, 4 x Gallo Nucleus Micro (Atmos Height)
post #2813 of 3367 Old 08-09-2014, 07:11 PM

Buggy Anthem Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balthazar2k4 View Post
That's not what I wanted to hear at all. I had read a couple places about clipping sounds on the x00 series, but I had not seen anything on the x10 series. I returned the 710 to my dealer today and they are getting me a replacement, but only after I threw a fit. They basically tried to convince me that it was all in my mind. If the replacement has the same problem then I am not sure what I'm going to do. What I do know is that I am not going to play this game endlessly.
Be happy with your current situation. You will probably end up ok. I’m glad you’re getting a replacement but just know that it’s not over yet. There are many other buggy issues with Anthem right now so please examine your new receiver thoroughly while you are still able to return it.

There are going to be a lot of people on this thread that will be downplaying Anthems issues or even attacking you for pointing out problems, but I suspect even they are not aware of the manufacturing hardware issues. Most people are barely even starting to recognize the ongoing software issues. This might explain all the push back when trying to get something fixed by a dealer or Anthem. My local Paradigm dealer refuses to carry Anthem so I had to travel elsewhere. Wish I could do it all over again.
post #2814 of 3367 Old 08-10-2014, 05:25 AM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Just as the general opinion calms the issues (as no one had them), you over-exaggerate them. And no, I'm not attacking you (before you think that), if you go back you may notice I quite aggressively acted on the muting issue, but it got fixed so yeah...
You are completely right with the returning, but that should be the case with every expensive hardware you get. I pretty much 12/24-ed my TV for 8 days (standard return time here), and so did with the MRX, the speakers and will do with the sub. Everything can be faulty, and I expect that. Also Anthem support was a pleasant experience for me.
As for your opinion, it is on the other end of the scale IMO, making you similar to the aforementioned fanboys. No problem with this of course, you had a bad experience and all, just try to not sound like you are the "all-knowing resistance". What we strive for should be a balanced viewpoint: There was one SW issues I encountered, and it was fixed. Feel free to add your own. Oh also no 192/24 over SPDIF, that's nasty. Some people like the support, some don't. Also we have Nick here which is nice. There are some HW issues, but still, the majority experiences no problems. To me this seems very common with electronic device brands. Nothing extraordinarily good or bad either.
Just get a replacement, test it and hope for the best.
misterguy and kamouflage like this.

2-channel is just multichannel done badly. - Frank Derks
post #2815 of 3367 Old 08-10-2014, 05:40 AM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnahadnagy View Post
Just as the general opinion calms the issues (as no one had them), you over-exaggerate them. And no, I'm not attacking you (before you think that), if you go back you may notice I quite aggressively acted on the muting issue, but it got fixed so yeah...
Logical, reasonable, well thought out posts like this have no business being here, this is the internet!

To add to the discussion is it fairly easy to play video from one HDMI source and have audio playing from another?
Barnahadnagy likes this.
post #2816 of 3367 Old 08-10-2014, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnahadnagy View Post
You are completely right with the returning, but that should be the case with every expensive hardware you get. I pretty much 12/24-ed my TV for 8 days (standard return time here), and so did with the MRX, the speakers and will do with the sub. Everything can be faulty, and I expect that. Also Anthem support was a pleasant experience for me.
As for your opinion, it is on the other end of the scale IMO, making you similar to the aforementioned fanboys. No problem with this of course, you had a bad experience and all, just try to not sound like you are the "all-knowing resistance". What we strive for should be a balanced viewpoint: There was one SW issues I encountered, and it was fixed. Feel free to add your own. Oh also no 192/24 over SPDIF, that's nasty. Some people like the support, some don't. Also we have Nick here which is nice. There are some HW issues, but still, the majority experiences no problems. To me this seems very common with electronic device brands. Nothing extraordinarily good or bad either.
Just get a replacement, test it and hope for the best.
I knew it would not take long for one of you guys to come out of the woodwork. Thanks for the feedback. The only thing you forgot to say was that our clipping sound issue is a one-off problem that nobody else in the world has
Barnahadnagy likes this.
post #2817 of 3367 Old 08-10-2014, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamouflage View Post
Logical, reasonable, well thought out posts like this have no business being here, this is the internet!

To add to the discussion is it fairly easy to play video from one HDMI source and have audio playing from another?
Sorry I though this was not 4chan
If I remember correctly, you have the option to setup where do you want the audio, and where do you want the video from for each input.

For misterguy: Should I take that as attacking me for pointing out things?
misterguy likes this.

post #2818 of 3367 Old 08-10-2014, 07:00 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterguy View Post
Oh did I mention they make you pay shipping to send back the defective receiver
hey misterguy. My dealer told me that if I had any problems during the warranty period, I should bring the receiver directly to them. They specifically said I would not have to pay shipping costs To or From. Did you check with yours?

Also, as a new owner it is kinda horrible hearing about the experiences some people are having. Perhaps we should have a poll to try and bring to light the number of cases we're facing.

Or maybe Nick @ Anthem has some stats for us?

Anyways, My first week with the MRX 710 has been great except for one little issue. Randomly, I have trouble establishing the HDMI connection to the TV, resulting in either a blank or flickering video. It's happened with the AppleTV and the PS4, so maybe it could be the TV? The reason I don't think it's the TV is because 1) It never happened with my previous AVR and 2) When it does happen, the MRX display says No Signal. It doesn't happen a lot, and when it does it's always been a quick fix... so just wondering if anyone else has experienced this? Any precedence out there for what I should do or expect?
post #2819 of 3367 Old 08-10-2014, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philhippo View Post
hey misterguy. My dealer told me that if I had any problems during the warranty period, I should bring the receiver directly to them. They specifically said I would not have to pay shipping costs To or From. Did you check with yours?

Also, as a new owner it is kinda horrible hearing about the experiences some people are having. Perhaps we should have a poll to try and bring to light the number of cases we're facing.

Or maybe Nick @ Anthem has some stats for us?

Anyways, My first week with the MRX 710 has been great except for one little issue. Randomly, I have trouble establishing the HDMI connection to the TV, resulting in either a blank or flickering video. It's happened with the AppleTV and the PS4, so maybe it could be the TV? The reason I don't think it's the TV is because 1) It never happened with my previous AVR and 2) When it does happen, the MRX display says No Signal. It doesn't happen a lot, and when it does it's always been a quick fix... so just wondering if anyone else has experienced this? Any precedence out there for what I should do or expect?
Along with my strange clipping noise with HDMI sources, I too had problems with the AVR losing HDMI lock and causing my projector to just flash. Annoying certainly, but fixable. The Krell Foundation I had previously would sometimes do this too. It is an HDMI handshake problem and that exists with many different brands. I'm not faulting Anthem on that one, but the clipping problem I am. Should have a replacement 710 when I get back next Sunday. Hopefully things will be better...

As to hoping that Nick@Anthem would reveal stats to hardware issues, keep hoping. I can't think of any reason why a company would reveal statistics that could be potentially damning to their bottom line or reputation.
misterguy and philhippo like this.

post #2820 of 3367 Old 08-10-2014, 07:23 AM

IMHO HDMI is a piece of s**t. Unfortunately it happens with all sort of HDMI chips, however once you have a signal, and said signal does not change (change of resolution, refresh rate, bit depth, color plane, chroma subsampling for video, and codec, channels, bit depth, resolution for audio) it should not have any problems whatsoever. I'm don't think the change in audio affects the video signal though, and I couldn't change video signal without changing audio too so. I consider myself lucky as my HTPC -> Anthem -> Panny chain works fine.

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Anthem Mrx710 , Anthem Mrx510 , Anthem Mrx310
Gear in this thread - Mrx710 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page