Anthem MRX Receivers - 310, 510, 710 Owners Thread & Tweaking Guide - Page 95 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2821 of 3061 Old 08-10-2014, 05:11 PM

Location: Wherever you go...well there you are. Currently I'm here, but soon I'll be someplace else. But rest assured I'll be there at the time, but I'll be gone before you know it.
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Hey Mr. Guy...
As I know I'm probably one of your "Fanboys"...it is because, since the latest software upgrade, my receiver has been faultless. Frankly I've been surprised. I was dreading the shift to HDMI. I'm happy with 1.4, because 2.0 will be a complete nightmare imo.

So yeah, by that definition, I'm a fanboy. But before I sit back down, the amount of problems I've seen with Anthem is minimal compared to some other company's products. God forbid you purchased a UMC-1! I won't go through the diatribe of "we're all Beta testers now...better get used to it" because I've kicked that mule to death on this forum, but myexperience with Anthem has been nothing but positive, and I'm pretty sure I speak for the majority of owners, otherwise this site would be inundated with negative reviews by multiple people as opposed to from the few that have apparently had problems. Lots of posts yes, but from relatively few posters.

If I am wrong, show me. You have mentioned that the channel distortion on the MRX x10 series has been well documented. Where? ...because I haven't read about it, at least not as a particularly common issue, and I contribute to two forums regarding the x10 series. If my opinion is so Fanboy in your eyes, feel free to re-educate me, but you'll need more than a few examples to convince me that my receiver is the POS you claim it to be, and that Anthem is a sh-t company that cares little about it's products and less about it's customers. I'm not afraid of being proven wrong, but I'll need more then the limited range of issues, and few complainants I've witnessed on the two forums in which I am a member.

Your dealer is your first line of service. Sounds like both you and Balthazar2K4 drew the short straw on that one. A good dealer will always go to bat for you if their reputation means anything to them. If they don't get resolution through Anthem they should buy back the receiver themselves. Most companies work through the dealer as opposed to the consumer, and I suspect their representation on your behalf has been somewhat lacking. I know there are others that have been pleased with the customer service they have gotten, so I can't otherwise understand why you've been having such problems.

I am truly sorry that you are having issues, and you deserve resolution. I don't know your whole story, but I have always felt that anyone unhappy with their receiver should be reimbursed no questions asked. I don't know many companies that do this, but it's simply the right way to do business IMO.

This comes respectfully and with full consideration of the frustration you are having. In no way is it an attack on you. My experience has been different then yours, and I simply wish to air that it's not all doom and gloom out there, and that people reading some of the negative posts shouldn't necessarily run screaming from the site of an Anthem MRX x10 receiver... The majority of us are really pleased with our purchase. Anyway, I wish you luck and resolution.

In memory of Buddy, the world's best pup, who passed peacefully June 28th/2014. He is sorely missed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2822 of 3061 Old 08-10-2014, 08:46 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balthazar2k4 View Post
Along with my strange clipping noise with HDMI sources, I too had problems with the AVR losing HDMI lock and causing my projector to just flash. Annoying certainly, but fixable. The Krell Foundation I had previously would sometimes do this too. It is an HDMI handshake problem and that exists with many different brands. I'm not faulting Anthem on that one, but the clipping problem I am. Should have a replacement 710 when I get back next Sunday. Hopefully things will be better...

As to hoping that Nick@Anthem would reveal stats to hardware issues, keep hoping. I can't think of any reason why a company would reveal statistics that could be potentially damning to their bottom line or reputation.
Great advice and very well said. This is a profit seeking business after all and why open yourself up to a class action lawsuit.
post #2823 of 3061 Old 08-10-2014, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whodunnit View Post
Hey Mr. Guy...
As I know I'm probably one of your "Fanboys"...it is because, since the latest software upgrade, my receiver has been faultless. Frankly I've been surprised. I was dreading the shift to HDMI. I'm happy with 1.4, because 2.0 will be a complete nightmare imo.

So yeah, by that definition, I'm a fanboy. But before I sit back down, the amount of problems I've seen with Anthem is minimal compared to some other company's products. God forbid you purchased a UMC-1! I won't go through the diatribe of "we're all Beta testers now...better get used to it" because I've kicked that mule to death on this forum, but myexperience with Anthem has been nothing but positive, and I'm pretty sure I speak for the majority of owners, otherwise this site would be inundated with negative reviews by multiple people as opposed to from the few that have apparently had problems. Lots of posts yes, but from relatively few posters.

If I am wrong, show me. You have mentioned that the channel distortion on the MRX x10 series has been well documented. Where? ...because I haven't read about it, at least not as a particularly common issue, and I contribute to two forums regarding the x10 series. If my opinion is so Fanboy in your eyes, feel free to re-educate me, but you'll need more than a few examples to convince me that my receiver is the POS you claim it to be, and that Anthem is a sh-t company that cares little about it's products and less about it's customers. I'm not afraid of being proven wrong, but I'll need more then the limited range of issues, and few complainants I've witnessed on the two forums in which I am a member.

Your dealer is your first line of service. Sounds like both you and Balthazar2K4 drew the short straw on that one. A good dealer will always go to bat for you if their reputation means anything to them. If they don't get resolution through Anthem they should buy back the receiver themselves. Most companies work through the dealer as opposed to the consumer, and I suspect their representation on your behalf has been somewhat lacking. I know there are others that have been pleased with the customer service they have gotten, so I can't otherwise understand why you've been having such problems.

I am truly sorry that you are having issues, and you deserve resolution. I don't know your whole story, but I have always felt that anyone unhappy with their receiver should be reimbursed no questions asked. I don't know many companies that do this, but it's simply the right way to do business IMO.

This comes respectfully and with full consideration of the frustration you are having. In no way is it an attack on you. My experience has been different then yours, and I simply wish to air that it's not all doom and gloom out there, and that people reading some of the negative posts shouldn't necessarily run screaming from the site of an Anthem MRX x10 receiver... The majority of us are really pleased with our purchase. Anyway, I wish you luck and resolution.
How quickly we forget Whodunnit. Just about a month ago this thread was plastered with people complaining about software bugs, shut down issues, hdmi issues, conversion issues, tech support issues, you name it. That’s usually the case with this thread until certain members give them a hard time and chase them off. It’s off and on like that and it serves as a warning to potential buyers. That’s really all that matters. If I had this information previously I would have bought from another company. If Anthem doesn’t get their act together obviously it can get worse in the future. Imagine what could happen if a few more people come on here and post more shut down issues

Please listen, I understand that you just want to enjoy your receiver and not have the reputation and value destroyed by upset customers and defective receivers. That happened to one of Arcam's models so I totally understand.

I have made it clear that this is a beautiful sounding piece of equipment and I would love to have a properly working one. Many people have said the same thing on this thread. I enjoyed mine for the short time that it was working properly. I don’t think I’ve ever called it a POS. At least not on this forum . I just think the MRX line was not put together properly and has some manufacturing issues. Its was more like a beta model than a finished product when I bought it. Since then Anthem has made some progress.

I’ll be the first to admit that I am in the minority with hardware issues. Exactly like I stated in the past---If you chose to roll the dice with Anthem the odds are gonna be on your side. Rolling the dice with $1300-$2000 is scary for some people. What’s really sad though is that if you read back the past few pages, even the positive people are stating that they have had some issues with their equipment. That's always been the pattern and I really hope Anthem cuts into their bottom line a little and takes responsibility for their product.
Paul Peterson likes this.
post #2824 of 3061 Old 08-11-2014, 03:42 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
reality chek please

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterguy View Post
The clipping sound is actually very common with the MRX line if you do your research.
I can't find any evidence for a common clipping issue with this MRX line. For example there are only 37 posts in this thread using the term "clipping" and out of these - if I checked right - there were only 2 members (shiznit, Balthazar2k4) reporting different clipping issues about their MRXs while others were just discussing and answering other things. Shiznit even blamed other things in the end, so as far as I can see it's only Balthazar2k4 and You left with a really wired clipping issue - eh really (?)

Please proof Your statement about "common clipping issue". I'd love to find out if there is one in reality that affects more than two units.
Anybody chimes in? What is needed to recreate these clipping effects? Any media, any source, any cabling, any transmission format?

Quote:
Just about a month ago this thread was plastered with people complaining about software bugs, shut down issues, hdmi issues, conversion issues, tech support issues, you name it.
Er - as far as I can remember this forum got plastered with complains just by a few ppl repeating themselves again, again and again without adding usuefull information at all - wading in despair but having beer.
I aplolgize for repeating myself: "If You want to dig into things, find a cause or wan't to help other ppl making wise decisisons please try to get more analytical. Nebular exaggerations won't help at all." I think this thread is for all MRX-x10 owners - happy and sad - there is no need to superimpose distinct experiences as the norm, just to feel like in a more common situation yourself.

Thx
mazpri
whodunnit and Barnahadnagy like this.
post #2825 of 3061 Old 08-11-2014, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazpri View Post
I can't find any evidence for a common clipping issue with this MRX line. For example there are only 37 posts in this thread using the term "clipping" and out of these - if I checked right - there were only 2 members (shiznit, Balthazar2k4) reporting different clipping issues about their MRXs while others were just discussing and answering other things. Shiznit even blamed other things in the end, so as far as I can see it's only Balthazar2k4 and You left with a really wired clipping issue - eh really (?)

Please proof Your statement about "common clipping issue". I'd love to find out if there is one in reality that affects more than two units.
Anybody chimes in? What is needed to recreate these clipping effects? Any media, any source, any cabling, any transmission format?

Er - as far as I can remember this forum got plastered with complains just by a few ppl repeating themselves again, again and again without adding usuefull information at all - wading in despair but having beer.
I aplolgize for repeating myself: "If You want to dig into things, find a cause or wan't to help other ppl making wise decisisons please try to get more analytical. Nebular exaggerations won't help at all." I think this thread is for all MRX-x10 owners - happy and sad - there is no need to superimpose distinct experiences as the norm, just to feel like in a more common situation yourself.

Thx
mazpri
Too late Mazpri. I dont think anything you say or do can change the current situation with the MRX line or put out the flames that we have been seeing. Most people are happy, some are not. Its not rocket science. I dont have to put together a long report to show you proof. This thread alone is my proof!

Thanks for restricting your search to the word clipping. Awesome research buddy . Ya, just a FEW ppl repeating themselves are unhappy on this forum---Talk about twisting the truth. Why would I argue with that kind of stuff? Take some deep breaths and allow everyone to give their opinion.
post #2826 of 3061 Old 08-11-2014, 05:10 AM

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 47
The interesting thing about forums such as AVS is that the general cross section of people who participate are going to be avid fans of the hobby more than just showing casual interest. That said, it is quite typical to see postings of issues with any A/V product by any manufacturer on boards such as AVS. In fact, there is generally a higher rate of issues to be found on forums than people chiming in to say how great things are. This is normal and is not necessarily a sign of gross incompetence by the manufacturer. By nature avid enthusiasts are going to post problems on forums in the hope of a group discussion to arrive at a solution. The bulk of people who purchase products such as the Anthem MRX line will never step foot in here and have a trouble free experience with their AVR. The reality is that the average failure rate for manufacturing of electronic goods in China is ~1%. Sometimes more, sometimes less. If you manufacturer 10,000 units, you will have 100 with problems. Those 100 units may or may not end up in a very vocal minority on boards such as this. That is the nature of things. My post regarding the clipping problems via HDMI may be a very small problem in the grand scheme of things and I was only trying to ascertain how wide spread the issue might be. I am not worried about it unless my replacement unit suffers the same fate. Everyone arguing over who's right and wrong is futile and a waste. Focus on solutions to problems. If you don't have any problems with your unit then good for you, those that do can work towards a solution to said problem together.

The Cave: Sony VPL-VW600ES, 110" Elite Fixed, Oppo BDP-103D, Apple TV 3, Marantz SR-7009, 3 x Emotiva XPA-1 Gen2 , 4 x Emotiva XPA-1L, MartinLogan Motion 60XT, MartinLogan Motion 50XT, 4 x MartinLogan MotionFX, 2 x Rythmik FV15HP, 4 x Gallo Nucleus Micro (Atmos Height)
post #2827 of 3061 Old 08-11-2014, 05:46 AM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I originally wrote a long post, but gave up. What Balthazar and Mazpri said was pretty spot on, go to other threads you'll find similar amount of complaints. Also mazpri I salute you for your data gathering attitude From my side I'll consider this argument over, as there really is no argument, as even you contradict yourself, and what I concluded was that your opinion actually is very similar to ours. Cheers.

2-channel is just multichannel done badly. - Frank Derks
post #2828 of 3061 Old 08-11-2014, 06:46 AM

Quote:
... I dont think anything you say or do can change the current situation with the MRX line or put out the flames that we have been seeing. .... This thread alone is my proof!... Take some deep breaths and allow everyone to give their opinion.
Heh, there is no proof, what flames other than flaming in this thread I'll hold my breath and wait for the things to come
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnahadnagy View Post
... as even you contradict yourself... your opinion actually is very similar to ours...
I don't know what "ours opinion" would be. Mine is jut that the MRX is superb for what I paid (love ARCv2) and does what I expeced it should do. I was unhappy with the mute bug also, I'm concerned about the high bitrate decoding issue (but it doesn't affect me since I never found any use in super high sampling other than production). I wonder about the switch off trouble on certain speaker configs and load (why not use separates?), but in the end as of today for ME it really boils down beeing a perfect receiver with minor HDMI handshaking issues (who's to blame?) that I can live with (contradicting myself?). I strongly recommend to get an MRX-x10 to anybody who's in need for a good room correction tech - but as with any costly audio gear, I'd also reccomend to test it within your own setup before making a final purchase
post #2829 of 3061 Old 08-11-2014, 06:46 AM

Location: Wherever you go...well there you are. Currently I'm here, but soon I'll be someplace else. But rest assured I'll be there at the time, but I'll be gone before you know it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balthazar2k4 View Post
The interesting thing about forums such as AVS is that the general cross section of people who participate are going to be avid fans of the hobby more than just showing casual interest. That said, it is quite typical to see postings of issues with any A/V product by any manufacturer on boards such as AVS. In fact, there is generally a higher rate of issues to be found on forums than people chiming in to say how great things are. This is normal and is not necessarily a sign of gross incompetence by the manufacturer. By nature avid enthusiasts are going to post problems on forums in the hope of a group discussion to arrive at a solution. The bulk of people who purchase products such as the Anthem MRX line will never step foot in here and have a trouble free experience with their AVR. The reality is that the average failure rate for manufacturing of electronic goods in China is ~1%. Sometimes more, sometimes less. If you manufacturer 10,000 units, you will have 100 with problems. Those 100 units may or may not end up in a very vocal minority on boards such as this. That is the nature of things. My post regarding the clipping problems via HDMI may be a very small problem in the grand scheme of things and I was only trying to ascertain how wide spread the issue might be. I am not worried about it unless my replacement unit suffers the same fate. Everyone arguing over who's right and wrong is futile and a waste. Focus on solutions to problems. If you don't have any problems with your unit then good for you, those that do can work towards a solution to said problem together.
Agreed...and wonderfully said. It's also possible that those who are not having problems can help those who are with positive suggestions and recommendations as to how to achieve positive resolution when dealing with company and/or dealership issues.

Constructive is the answer...the rant has been done, and the value of it is zilch, and my and other's responses are equally a waste of time. People will believe what they want to believe, people will think what they want to think...and will gravitate in the direction that supports their opinions. I recognize that I am as guilty as anyone...it's human nature. Unfortunately in that framework, nothing positive gets done...

As far as Anthem's reputation is concerned, no matter what anyone says here they'll survive and continue as a successful company. I'm not going to lose sleep on their behalf. My biggest concern is the negativism that is overly represented by a relatively few individuals will steer people away from a product they really should experience for themselves...Given my positive experience, I think that a shame, but my trying to counterbalance the negative only continues to add fuel to the fire.

So constructive: Mr. Guy...What's your dealer relationship? Are you dealing with the company directly? What's the history of you and your MRX problems? What specific issues did you/are you having, and what responses have you gotten and what solutions, (if any) have been offered on your behalf? It seems like putting this info together in one place and having people consider different ideas may be helpful to you. I know you are, and I'm sure, rightfully so, frustrated....but to put this in a coherent and as objective as possible format will go a long way towards others being able to provide advice. I'm game. Hell I'm your advocate. Anyone else willing to put heads together? There's some pretty smart people in this forum...with a common interest in AVR...Seems to be a great place to start.

In memory of Buddy, the world's best pup, who passed peacefully June 28th/2014. He is sorely missed.
post #2830 of 3061 Old 08-11-2014, 06:59 AM

Biamped the fronts this weekend (required getting the right banana plugs) and hooked up the REL to the high level interconnect as well as LFE. Only thing I can’t get working right now is the HDMI audio return channel. I’m not sure I’ve got the Anthem set up correctly because the Audio Input shows receiver greyed out, even though I have CEC turned on and input set to HDMI audio return 1 for audio coming from the TV?? I can only select TV or audio out. Audio out requires a fiber link which works just fine but requires one extra cable that really shouldn’t be needed. I’ll need to run the ARC correction setup again with the changes but haven’t had a chance to that yet.

Hey folks, got this in an email from a friend and as I don't use my audio return or CEC... I'm basically clueless. Any ideas I can pass on? Thanks....

post #2831 of 3061 Old 08-11-2014, 07:23 AM

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Biamped the fronts this weekend (required getting the right banana plugs) and hooked up the REL to the high level interconnect as well as LFE. Only thing I can’t get working right now is the HDMI audio return channel. I’m not sure I’ve got the Anthem set up correctly because the Audio Input shows receiver greyed out, even though I have CEC turned on and input set to HDMI audio return 1 for audio coming from the TV?? I can only select TV or audio out. Audio out requires a fiber link which works just fine but requires one extra cable that really shouldn’t be needed. I’ll need to run the ARC correction setup again with the changes but haven’t had a chance to that yet.

Hey folks, got this in an email from a friend and as I don't use my audio return or CEC... I'm basically clueless. Any ideas I can pass on? Thanks....
Frankly whodunnit, I'm not sure I follow what your friend is saying. I've used ARC in the past on different AVRs, but I have no experience using it on the Anthem. That said, it has been a fairly straight forward process on what I have used. As long as the TV is set to output the signal, the AVR will generally pick up the return on the input assigned to the TV. Magic is usually not required.

The Cave: Sony VPL-VW600ES, 110" Elite Fixed, Oppo BDP-103D, Apple TV 3, Marantz SR-7009, 3 x Emotiva XPA-1 Gen2 , 4 x Emotiva XPA-1L, MartinLogan Motion 60XT, MartinLogan Motion 50XT, 4 x MartinLogan MotionFX, 2 x Rythmik FV15HP, 4 x Gallo Nucleus Micro (Atmos Height)

Last edited by Balthazar2k4; 08-11-2014 at 11:58 AM.
post #2832 of 3061 Old 08-11-2014, 07:50 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Biamped the fronts this weekend....
I would be interested to know if you hear much difference. Is it worth it? Although I only have a 5.1 setup and thus the 310 would be enough, if this makes enough a difference I might be looking at the 510 for its added possibility of bi-amping the front left and right channels.
post #2833 of 3061 Old 08-11-2014, 07:58 AM

HDMI? - fingers crossed

Quote:
.... Only thing I can’t get working right now is the HDMI audio return channel. I’m not sure I’ve got the Anthem set up correctly because the Audio Input shows receiver greyed out, even though I have CEC turned on and input set to HDMI audio return 1 for audio coming from the TV?? I can only select TV or audio out. Audio out requires a fiber link which works just fine but requires one extra cable that really shouldn’t be needed. I’ll need to run the ARC correction setup again with the changes but haven’t had a chance to that yet. ...
Hi whodunnit - I assume ur friend is talking about the TV setup options beein greyed out? FWIW I have audio return ch working with an LG TV. What comes to mind is that he might have enabled and/or used the wrong HDMI out port on the MRX or on the TV. The TVs I know support the audio return channels just on a single/specific HDMI in port (like so), the last option could be to try a different cable. See also HDMI website.
post #2834 of 3061 Old 08-11-2014, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazpri View Post
I don't know what "ours opinion" would be....
That part was meant for misterguy, as he told us he knows he is a minority yet claims MRX has serious problems. "Ours" opinion regarding the problem is what you said: We know they exist.

I'll also try biamping after the new cabinet is built, along with the new center and sub. I don't expect audible difference (at least on not ear shattering volumes), but from a technical standpoint, it should stress the amps less (!= higher output), so why not. I also plan on a custom ventillated cooling, since it will be in an almost completely closed space, and lower temp = longer lifespan (although I doubt that's going to be a problem), plus it will be a good experience for the future HTPC's cooling in the other side of the cabinet.

Last edited by Barnahadnagy; 08-11-2014 at 08:16 AM.
post #2835 of 3061 Old 08-11-2014, 10:16 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 13
i am not sure if i had understand what Anthem is saying on the user manual.. they are saying if bi-amping the front speakers, the power should be the same as 5 channels in use with single wire ? let's say mrx510 have 75 watts X 5 channels, in biamping will be the same power output, is it correct ?
post #2836 of 3061 Old 08-11-2014, 10:56 AM

Yes. Simply put: The amp can output 75W on the whole frequency range. Let's say the passive crossover of your speaker is 500. Let's say under 500 HZ the amp can output 40W. If you don't biamp this 40W goes to the speaker, along with the upper 35, and gets separated by the crossover. If you biamp, this 40W goes to the speaker, passes through the crossover, the upper 35 can't get through, so it's not used at all. However this excess can't be allocated to the lower frequencies. So power output and consumption will be the same, but divided between 2 amps instead of one (Hence my previous less stress statement). This is my best understanding of the topic, if I'm completely wrong with the technical explanation please correct me. (NOTE: In reality consumption will be ever so slightly higher due to more loss)
traianescu likes this.

post #2837 of 3061 Old 08-11-2014, 11:34 AM

good to know, thank you very much ! i was afraid that the power will decrease to let's say 65 watts per channel

does this receiver becomes hotter/warmer in bi-amp or it is in the line with the temperature in stereo / 5.1 ?
post #2838 of 3061 Old 08-11-2014, 11:46 AM

No, output definitely won't decrease (except if your 6 and 7 amps are faulty). Most people would expect it to increase though.
I'm yet to have experience on the heat, but I would say it will run cooler if it's vented sufficiently, because on lower usage times two it should generate less heat than on higher usage times one. Plus it will have twice the surface to "shed" that heat. However this is purely a speculation based on experience with graphics cards, but I would expect it to behave in a similar fashion.

Last edited by Barnahadnagy; 08-11-2014 at 11:50 AM.
post #2839 of 3061 Old 08-11-2014, 07:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by traianescu View Post
does this receiver becomes hotter/warmer in bi-amp
Same. The difference is that if the LF amp is playing loudly enough to be clipping, the HF section isn't affected by it.

The most important noise floor is in your head. Always remember to protect your hearing.
post #2840 of 3061 Old 08-11-2014, 07:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
got this in an email from a friend and as I don't use my audio return or CEC... Any ideas I can pass on?
Sometimes the system needs to be shut down and power and/or HDMI cords disconnected/reconnected for new CEC and related settings on either side of the cable to take effect.
whodunnit likes this.

The most important noise floor is in your head. Always remember to protect your hearing.
post #2841 of 3061 Old 08-11-2014, 07:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Just about a month ago this thread was plastered with people complaining about software bugs, shut down issues, hdmi issues, conversion issues, tech support issues, you name it.
Not to downplay real issues but generally speaking...

Signal: My system consists of the following components and settings, and when I use it such a manner this is the unexpected though reproducible behaviour.

Noise: Although my system doesn't have that issue, everyone else's does because many here have said that although their system doesn't have the issue, everyone else's does. It's obviously a design flaw.

post #2842 of 3061 Old 08-11-2014, 07:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMRSC View Post
Here's something else I would like to see: the inclusion of a variable "loudness" compensation feature similar to that provided by Yamaha and Mcintosh back in the '70s and '80s.
Or, turn on Dolby Volume and set Leveler to 0. The loudness contour remains and is continually optimized according to input level and playback volume. Loud passage played loudly gets the least amount of contour because it needs it least. Soft passage played at low volume gets the most because it needs it most. Everything else goes between accordingly. This is what sets DSP loudness controls apart from traditional ones.

(I also used to have an 80s Yamaha receiver and like many users was always fussing with the contour amount depending on how softly I was playing music that hour.)

post #2843 of 3061 Old 08-11-2014, 08:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breddy View Post
I really would love a 2.0 mode that bypasses everything, without having to ARC one out.
So analog source doesn't get processed? (Set accordingly in input setup menu.) Or, so digital source can be played with and without ARC? (Add an input profile identical to the first except with ARC off, a different name, and stereo speaker configuration if applicable.)

With feature requests, it's easier to start by stating needs rather than solutions. Unrelated example but same idea...

Need: Digital-only source played multichannel in main zone and stereo downmix in zone 2 at the same time.

Solution 1: An AVR with DSP for zone 2.

Solution 2: Connect the passthrough optical/coax output of the MRX to a basic AVR using its main zone for the zone 2 speakers.

post #2844 of 3061 Old 08-11-2014, 08:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesvicky View Post
use the levels button on the remote and knock the center channel up when late at night
Center channel isn't just for dialog. When the explosions start there's just as much sound effect in CC as from L/R, so if you're boosting the CC, you're boosting everything in it.

post #2845 of 3061 Old 08-11-2014, 08:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajdawar View Post
hear the dialog without everything else becoming way louder, etc.
Alternate solutions:

- enable Dolby Volume (level 5 is my recommended starting point)

- set satellite receiver output to 2-channel (as you know or suspect, DD-5.1 downmix to 2.0 scales the dynamic range and usually discards LFE)

- if present, select disc's 2-channel mix (during movie, press Audio on player's remote)

post #2846 of 3061 Old 08-11-2014, 08:50 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick @ Anthem View Post
Hey Nick, if we have ARC, do we need to use PerfectBassKit for martinlogan/paradigm subs? Is there any benefit in running both or will ARC do everything PBK does?
post #2847 of 3061 Old 08-11-2014, 09:23 PM
Advanced Member

^ Generally same result as ARC when using single sub except that PBK knows the sub model and its characteristics, so if it's esoteric like a Sub2 it'll tailor extreme low frequency correction accordingly. Also PBK will correct and cross over through the sub's range, for example to 250 Hz whereas ARC tailors according to HT conventions, in other words correction to 160 Hz and typically sets MRX bass management crossover at or near 80 Hz.

With multiple subs, run PBK on each then ARC on the combination.
philhippo likes this.

post #2848 of 3061 Old 08-12-2014, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick @ Anthem View Post
Sometimes the system needs to be shut down and power and/or HDMI cords disconnected/reconnected for new CEC and related settings on either side of the cable to take effect.
Thanks Nick...I'll pass it on. As always appreciate your input.

post #2849 of 3061 Old 08-12-2014, 06:50 AM

audio return channel/hdmi cec, with panasonic viera link, are working fine ?
post #2850 of 3061 Old 08-12-2014, 09:01 AM

Okay, I couldn't find this information so here we go: When using ARC, should I fiddle around with the phase settings, or should I leave it at 0? Manual says it corrects phase of the room, but I'm not sure what that means.

Also, a 30HZ and 80HZ tone playing in the background can get annoying real fast, plus I even have a headache now (Now using noise cut at 80)

Also Nick do you have any tips where should I "pump" air into the MRX? For now my idea is to have an overpressured zone under it, would it be better to pump air from the sides? (Also yay for not necessary things )

Last edited by Barnahadnagy; 08-12-2014 at 09:13 AM.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Anthem Mrx710 , Anthem Mrx510 , Anthem Mrx310
Gear in this thread - Mrx710 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page