Anthem MRX Receivers - 310, 510, 710 Owners Thread & Tweaking Guide - Page 97 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2881 of 3036 Old 08-14-2014, 03:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterguy View Post
Issues, what issues? Anthem is perfect don't you remember
Try working with either your dealer or directly with Anthem, Mister Guy. Present your case and problems, and request resolution. And...JMO...your dealer should be your first line of defense and biggest advocate (especially if you've demonstrated to him your issues).

If you neglect to pursue either option, your glib comments are becoming annoying.

No offense intended, and I hope you become a satisfied customer.
Breddy and whodunnit like this.

Last edited by OMRSC; 08-14-2014 at 03:51 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2882 of 3036 Old 08-14-2014, 06:40 PM

Location: Wherever you go...well there you are. Currently I'm here, but soon I'll be someplace else. But rest assured I'll be there at the time, but I'll be gone before you know it.
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Yo Mr. Guy
....for you maybe your Anthem troubles are Kharma. PMing me just to goad me pretty much states your general level of maturity. Here's my firehose, directed at you... I suspect at this point your dealer/Anthem has pretty much blown you off because your attitude is totally ridiculous...somehow I doubt you are faultless. Pretty sad really. Time to grow up guy. The "Mr." part or your online name is undeserved. I've pretty much lost interest in your predicament. I offered to help, even be your advocate. I was hoping maybe we could get some heads in here that would help come up with solutions. Apparently you don't care about a solution, mostly all you want to do is complain. Fine. It's your foot, you want to shoot it, be my guest. Frankly I can't understand why you are why you are...but I frankly don't care anymore....I did, but you managed to blow it. Hope you enjoy your door stop. You deserve it.
darrellh44 and Toolman93422 like this.

In memory of Buddy, the world's best pup, who passed peacefully June 28th/2014. He is sorely missed.
post #2883 of 3036 Old 08-14-2014, 06:46 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick @ Anthem View Post
Impromptu. Best to send all inquiries via "contact us" web page as my forum activity is extracurricular and irregular.

re story 1: (side note - our prepros have always done that) With your MRX, I'd say the best thing would be to connect a basic-as-it-gets AVR to the optical or coax output. Whatever comes in to the MRX via optical or coax will go out via optical or coax. If DD-5.1 is coming in and the slave AVR can decode DD-5.1, downmix it, and has ample power for the Z2 speakers, would it solve the immediate problem? Adding DSP to Z2 (not cheap) is something we've discussed internally many times, but the cost vs benefit has crossed it off the wish list consistently.

re story 2: Multichannel source or stereo? I'll guess stereo because downmix is a process. What are the main characteristics of your two existing configurations?
Thanks for the reply! Your response to #1 actually has helped me think more clearly about the issue that I've been whining about for months. So thanks for that. Maybe an inexpensive 5.1 receiver is something I should look into.

As to #2 - I'm talking exclusively about stereo in this case. There are at any given time 2 configs I always want present: ARC'd 5.1 and unmolested 2.0. This leaves no room to play with a third config and a/b test, etc. A third (or fourth, hehe) config "slot" would be just as effective for me as a pure 2.0 button/mode whatever. Can't speak for others.

Thanks a bunch for indulging me here.
post #2884 of 3036 Old 08-14-2014, 08:53 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by whodunnit View Post
Yo Mr. Guy
....for you maybe your Anthem troubles are Kharma. PMing me just to goad me pretty much states your general level of maturity. Here's my firehose, directed at you... I suspect at this point your dealer/Anthem has pretty much blown you off because your attitude is totally ridiculous...somehow I doubt you are faultless. Pretty sad really. Time to grow up guy. The "Mr." part or your online name is undeserved. I've pretty much lost interest in your predicament. I offered to help, even be your advocate. I was hoping maybe we could get some heads in here that would help come up with solutions. Apparently you don't care about a solution, mostly all you want to do is complain. Fine. It's your foot, you want to shoot it, be my guest. Frankly I can't understand why you are why you are...but I frankly don't care anymore....I did, but you managed to blow it. Hope you enjoy your door stop. You deserve it.
You've always been very predictable Whodunnit, like to take pokes at people but cant handle it when I start rubbing in my point. I bet what really bothers you the most are all these people online with Anthem issues and me bringing it to light . I would probably get a little annoyed too if someone kept proving their point. Keep chasing away those unhappy Anthem customers so that you can live in your bubble.

Ya, I don't pretend to be happy about my situation and it would have been nice to buy from a better company but one thing you should understand is, this internet forum stuff will never mean more to me than a few entertaining/informative minutes of the day. Please don't lose any sleep over it. Take care.
post #2885 of 3036 Old 08-15-2014, 04:55 AM

Location: Wherever you go...well there you are. Currently I'm here, but soon I'll be someplace else. But rest assured I'll be there at the time, but I'll be gone before you know it.
Quote:
You've always been very predictable Whodunnit, like to take pokes at people but cant handle it when I start rubbing in my point. I bet what really bothers you the most are all these people online with Anthem issues and me bringing it to light . I would probably get a little annoyed too if someone kept proving their point. Keep chasing away those unhappy Anthem customers so that you can live in your bubble.

Ya, I don't pretend to be happy about my situation and it would have been nice to buy from a better company but one thing you should understand is, this internet forum stuff will never mean more to me than a few entertaining/informative minutes of the day. Please don't lose any sleep over it. Take care.
Slept fine last night actually. Besides you, what pokes...? And the few entertaining informative minutes you spend..it's such a shame you waste them, instead of trying to work out some constructive solutions to the issues you're having. Like I said, your foot, do as you wish.
Predictable? My wife's loving that one! Thanks for the laughs...And yeah, despite what I said, I still care..so if you wish to enter this forum in a constructive manner..I'm still here for you.

In memory of Buddy, the world's best pup, who passed peacefully June 28th/2014. He is sorely missed.
post #2886 of 3036 Old 08-15-2014, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balthazar2k4 View Post
Appears that my celebration was premature. Decided to run ARC this morning and guess what? Yep, the noise is back. Looks like ARC is the culprit. Not real sure what to do now. I used the suggested settings in the software, but maybe that is a bad idea. Thoughts anyone?
Hey Balthazar...Sorry to hear of your continued problems. Had a few ideas, none of the particularly tech savvy, just spitballing here...
1) Do you happen to have the serial # for the previous unit that you returned? Was wondering that there may be a group of defective receivers that came off the line together. It may not be of value, in that whatever might be going on is relative to a particular component w/n the unit that doesn't coincide with manufacturing dates, but I'm curious.
2) Post your ARC graphs. As ARC adds +/- 6 db at varying points in the audio spectrum, it may be possible that its adding db. in your speakers crossover region. I don't know if this would cause a problem, as I said "spitballing"... but ARC specifically limits to 6 db so as not to potentially stress speakers and cause distortion/and or damage. Do your graphs note any large ARC corrections?
3)Does the distortion happen at low volumes? Across all speakers? Does it go away when you turn ARC off?

Just questions I know, but it's my hope that more technically informed people than I will weigh in and see what we can do for you. Wish you luck, and will be checking in to see how it's going.

-Cheers from "the bubble."

post #2887 of 3036 Old 08-15-2014, 06:55 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I figured out my problem, it was turning itself off because it was overheating. I placed the unit where my old Pioneer Elite was but I guess it doesn't get enough air to it. I took it out, placed it on the floor, and no problems now.
post #2888 of 3036 Old 08-15-2014, 07:55 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeRRoRiFiC35 View Post
I figured out my problem, it was turning itself off because it was overheating. I placed the unit where my old Pioneer Elite was but I guess it doesn't get enough air to it. I took it out, placed it on the floor, and no problems now.
It would be pretty cool (ha!) to have a notification on power-up that the last power-down was due to heat...is that possible?
post #2889 of 3036 Old 08-15-2014, 10:47 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
What model Pioneer Elite was it-that unit did not shut down in the same location? Same speakers on the previous AVR? Not trying to fuel any fire but want to be informed. If I go with the Anthem, it will be inside a cabinet that does not get much airflow.

Onkyo SC 886
B K 200.5
Klipsh Forte Mains
Klipsh Center
ADS Surrounds
XS30
post #2890 of 3036 Old 08-15-2014, 11:15 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Hey Balthazar...Sorry to hear of your continued problems. Had a few ideas, none of the particularly tech savvy, just spitballing here...
1) Do you happen to have the serial # for the previous unit that you returned? Was wondering that there may be a group of defective receivers that came off the line together. It may not be of value, in that whatever might be going on is relative to a particular component w/n the unit that doesn't coincide with manufacturing dates, but I'm curious.
2) Post your ARC graphs. As ARC adds +/- 6 db at varying points in the audio spectrum, it may be possible that its adding db. in your speakers crossover region. I don't know if this would cause a problem, as I said "spitballing"... but ARC specifically limits to 6 db so as not to potentially stress speakers and cause distortion/and or damage. Do your graphs note any large ARC corrections?
3)Does the distortion happen at low volumes? Across all speakers? Does it go away when you turn ARC off?

Just questions I know, but it's my hope that more technically informed people than I will weigh in and see what we can do for you. Wish you luck, and will be checking in to see how it's going.

-Cheers from "the bubble."
Too late... he returned it. See post #2879 .
post #2891 of 3036 Old 08-15-2014, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Hard to believe that's the explanation, since you initially said it was shutting down after only a minute or so of use. Could you hear the fan operating before shutdown?
post #2892 of 3036 Old 08-15-2014, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbreda View Post
What model Pioneer Elite was it-that unit did not shut down in the same location? Same speakers on the previous AVR? Not trying to fuel any fire but want to be informed. If I go with the Anthem, it will be inside a cabinet that does not get much airflow.
Depending on the cabinet's enclosed space (Width, Height, Depth) where you'll place the AVR, and several other factors...sensitivity and rated impedance of speakers, how loudly you listen (SPL), etc....you can address this issue with the inclusion of a fan (or two) at the rear of the cabinet. I had to do this in a cabinet that housed a Marantz 510M and Hafler DH-200K, and heat never posed a problem for me even at very elevated levels of SPL. There are many places that sell fans specifically meant for audio applications, have low noise levels, and even adjustable speeds. If this is a concern, I'd explore this option...because the Anthem's worth it.

My 310 is in a cabinet measuring 22.5"W x 11"H x 17"D: open front, enclosed sides, top and rear, and I've had no problems with excessive heat (though all of my speakers are 90+ dB sensitivity and 8 ohms)...and there are many times when I ROCK with my music! I'm not presently running any ventilation, but I do have two fans available should excessive heat ever become problematic (I'm changing my cabinet next year, and I'll use them at that time...not worth the effort right now). If you have any questions about this, I'll be glad to provide some recommendations...or you can ask Anthem.
post #2893 of 3036 Old 08-15-2014, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Slept fine last night actually. Besides you, what pokes...? And the few entertaining informative minutes you spend..it's such a shame you waste them, instead of trying to work out some constructive solutions to the issues you're having. Like I said, your foot, do as you wish.
Predictable? My wife's loving that one! Thanks for the laughs...And yeah, despite what I said, I still care..so if you wish to enter this forum in a constructive manner..I'm still here for you.
There you go assuming again. Assuming that I don’t explore my options would be wrong of you. Thank you very much for the offer of help. Seems a little backhanded but thank you nevertheless.

Constantly hearing Anthem complaints is annoying. So are people who constantly attack them and make excuses for Anthem's receiver problems. These people are just as annoying and sometimes give the complainers more of a spotlight. They are also ruining this forum by not giving potential buyers all the facts.

I think it’s best to just let everyone give their opinion in peace. IMHO, I personally do not recommend this inconsistent equipment from Anthem. It’s just an opinion and should not raise anyone’s blood pressure.
post #2894 of 3036 Old 08-15-2014, 02:45 PM

Guys... could we leave it at that, please? This pointless exchange has gone on for far too long.

Thanks.
misterguy and whodunnit like this.
post #2895 of 3036 Old 08-15-2014, 03:55 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryMB View Post
Guys... could we leave it at that, please? This pointless exchange has gone on for far too long.

Thanks.
+1
post #2896 of 3036 Old 08-15-2014, 05:18 PM

Quote:
There you go assuming again. Assuming that I don’t explore my options would be wrong of you. Thank you very much for the offer of help. Seems a little backhanded but thank you nevertheless.

Constantly hearing Anthem complaints is annoying. So are people who constantly attack them and make excuses for Anthem's receiver problems. These people are just as annoying and sometimes give the complainers more of a spotlight. They are also ruining this forum by not giving potential buyers all the facts.

I think it’s best to just let everyone give their opinion in peace. IMHO, I personally do not recommend this inconsistent equipment from Anthem. It’s just an opinion and should not raise anyone’s blood pressure.

After following your complaints, I spent an hour or so today reviewing your posts (back to # 2731). Evidently, your concern has to do with some form of "distortion", primarily emanating from the Left channel (?), and not necessarily dependent on volume (?). Am I correct in my interpretation and conclusion?

If I've missed something, please correct and elaborate.

A few questions (if you're interested)...

- Is this distortion confined to the Left channel only, or does it occur in other/all channels?
- Does this occur regardless of source (e.g., TV, videos, music via CD, LP, Internet, etc.), or is it confined to just one?
- You mentioned ARC in one of your posts. Does ARC eliminate the problem, exacerbate it, or make no difference?
- If you were using the same equipment prior to Anthem, had you ever experienced anything similar?

Some of these questions may have been answered in prior posts from you; if so, please excuse my missing them, but I'd still appreciate some answers. My purpose here is to try to help you figure out what's wrong, and how you might best be able to correct it/them (which, evidently, you've not yet accomplished).

If I've missed anything, I'd like to know.

If you've no interest in responding then I can live with that, but I'd like to see you become a satisfied owner with your Anthem...like so many of the rest of us.

Last edited by OMRSC; 08-15-2014 at 05:23 PM.
post #2897 of 3036 Old 08-15-2014, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMRSC View Post
After following your complaints, I spent an hour or so today reviewing your posts (back to # 2731). Evidently, your concern has to do with some form of "distortion", primarily emanating from the Left channel (?), and not necessarily dependent on volume (?). Am I correct in my interpretation and conclusion?

If I've missed something, please correct and elaborate.

A few questions (if you're interested)...

- Is this distortion confined to the Left channel only, or does it occur in other/all channels?
- Does this occur regardless of source (e.g., TV, videos, music via CD, LP, Internet, etc.), or is it confined to just one?
- You mentioned ARC in one of your posts. Does ARC eliminate the problem, exacerbate it, or make no difference?
- If you were using the same equipment prior to Anthem, had you ever experienced anything similar?

Some of these questions may have been answered in prior posts from you; if so, please excuse my missing them, but I'd still appreciate some answers. My purpose here is to try to help you figure out what's wrong, and how you might best be able to correct it/them (which, evidently, you've not yet accomplished).

If I've missed anything, I'd like to know.

If you've no interest in responding then I can live with that, but I'd like to see you become a satisfied owner with your Anthem...like so many of the rest of us.
Wow! Thank you so much for taking the time and effort to do this. I have a lot of respect for a gesture this sincere. I have no doubt that there are very intelligent and helpful people on this forum and I suspect that some might even have audio engineering experience.

I currently do not have the receiver unit so it would be wise for me to wait on Anthem for now. I also want to give this thread a chance to move on. As I stated previously, if and when it comes back repaired I will post an update. I like to post the good news as well as the bad. Sending you a PM Omrsc.
post #2898 of 3036 Old 08-16-2014, 07:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 62
^ When a unit comes in for repair and the problem can't be reproduced, we keep trying by gathering any detail necessary starting with the ARC file, all settings, source material, source component (we're not there yet in this case), phase of the moon etc, until there are more answers than questions. We've had two reports of front left noise and are still trying to make it happen in front of us. Not to imply that we doubt there is a problem, just that we're still working on cloning the setup until the problem appears.

The most important noise floor is in your head. Always remember to protect your hearing.
post #2899 of 3036 Old 08-16-2014, 07:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breddy View Post
I'm talking exclusively about stereo in this case...A third (or fourth, hehe) config "slot" would be just as effective for me
I suppose profile memory count can be revisited for a future-gen MRX (not any time soon) but for now in case it helps and the source has stereo analog outputs, you may want to set up another input profile (there are 20 memories) and set it to analog passthrough. Don't forget that new inputs can be inserted by highlighting any one in the input setup menu then pressing Input on the remote, as opposed to selecting Add Input which puts the new one at the end of the list.
Breddy likes this.

The most important noise floor is in your head. Always remember to protect your hearing.
post #2900 of 3036 Old 08-16-2014, 07:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazpri View Post
To me active xover fiddling would be new too, but perfectly integrating a sub is not that different
It's very different, for example if the tweeter and presumably small-diameter woofer in a 2-way speaker have comparable amplitude through a certain range do you cross over on the high side to increase tweeter life expectancy or the low side to minimize jump in dispersion? This still applies to 3-way but in this case where would the 2-way active split best be used? Part of the crossover would still be passive so now impedance among other things becomes a factor.
mazpri likes this.

post #2901 of 3036 Old 08-16-2014, 08:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnahadnagy View Post
completely enclosed space...1) Are there any tricks to the airflow of the amp section, or from below is ok? 2) What is the function of the grille on the right side behind the tunnel's, at the amp section? Should air be coming out or going in there?
1. Many factors come into play for example flow rate, volume of enclosed space, and cabinet material. Is amp playing bass heavy music for hours on end in all-channel mode? Does enclosed space mean no air return (leaks around door aside) therefore fan is in essence supplying same air with same temperature?

Running the airflow through the amp's heatsink tunnel would be most efficient. From below would help, but would not be as efficient.

2. Looking from the front, air comes out of the right side, where the grille is. The fan is on the opposite end.

The square plastic cover is meant for a small number of countries in hot parts of Asia having national requirements beyond CB/CE and for that matter CSA/UL (higher ambient temp = higher temp at exposed vents) but all the 240V units come with it to keep inventory simpler.

post #2902 of 3036 Old 08-16-2014, 08:32 AM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Thanks! I plan to make the doors somewhat airtight to keep dust out, but the vents below it will get fresh air from the outside through a filter. Due to the filters, I expect lower airflow from below, so considering everything, the current plan is to get two vents under it supplying fresh air, and one on the right pushing out air from the tunnel. Any remaining pressure differences will be compensated at the backside where the cable connections will be (going to be tricky to dust-proof that), the vents below should over pressurize first the area below the MRX, then the whole cabinet. They have 55 CFM of airflow each, I think that should be more than enough.

On the playback: I make things for the maximum stress (even though I don't usually use pseudo-surrounds, I have several 5.1 recordings, so yeah it is a possibility), so plan is for the worst.

When it's done I'll take some pictures of it so you all can see my overly-complicated designs

2-channel is just multichannel done badly. - Frank Derks

Last edited by Barnahadnagy; 08-16-2014 at 08:46 AM.
post #2903 of 3036 Old 08-16-2014, 08:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 400 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Bet you could replace stock fan with a higher quality fan maybe from Noctua

http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/021...g?v=1391493150

What is the stock fan?

Krell Evolution 900e x 7

Bose Jewel speakers.

Jealous of my speakers?

post #2904 of 3036 Old 08-16-2014, 09:10 AM

I could, but I'm not sure how that would affect warranty. Also, with the vent on the other side it should never turn on, and I have more space to work with on the outside. However, they run out of the fans I wanted to get. Typical.

post #2905 of 3036 Old 08-16-2014, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

I would think tunnel cooling design would run hotter (with the fan not spinning) than say a standard upper range AVR with vents and heatsinks

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/u9VPRgkj3Do/maxresdefault.jpg

Krell Evolution 900e x 7

Bose Jewel speakers.

Jealous of my speakers?

post #2906 of 3036 Old 08-16-2014, 11:33 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Yes I bet your right fatbottom, I don't know why amp manufacturers use cheap fans but all the mrx's I've had sound like they have rusty ball bearings lol
post #2907 of 3036 Old 08-16-2014, 11:49 AM

You've gotta save money somewhere. Pretty much all my pre-built HW with fans used the cheapest possible option. For big unit number, even a 1$ / unit on fans is pretty big deal, and unlike other components it's not that noticeable.

post #2908 of 3036 Old 08-16-2014, 12:30 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbottom View Post
I would think tunnel cooling design would run hotter (with the fan not spinning) than say a standard upper range AVR with vents and heatsinks

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/u9VPRgkj3Do/maxresdefault.jpg
i do not understand from the picture, yamaha have the fan ?
post #2909 of 3036 Old 08-16-2014, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

No. But from cooling point of view a air tunnel would result in hotter temps when the fan isn't active, than a large heatsink, cooled by natural air convection. It's the reason why pro amps have forced air circulation- they save money on heavy & expensive heatsinks and rely on forcing air through smaller heatsinks.

But if you could find a higher quality fan, with same cfm and voltage spec, may be able to have a much quieter system. Or perhaps fit a larger fan, looks like enough space for a larger fan (which are quieter for the same cfm)

For £2000 I'd expect passive heatsink system, not something you find on a £200 pro amp.
traianescu likes this.

Krell Evolution 900e x 7

Bose Jewel speakers.

Jealous of my speakers?

post #2910 of 3036 Old 08-16-2014, 01:45 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
fatbottom, great explanation !
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags