Anthem MRX Receivers - 310, 510, 710 Owners Thread & Tweaking Guide - Page 98 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2911 of 3321 Old 08-16-2014, 03:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked: 202
Read on on quiet HTPC's the principle is the same. Cooling with higher quality, quieter, larger fans to achieve sufficient cooling. Can be passed on other things too, ie using larger fans in NAS's. The stock fans in my qnap NAS are loud, small buzzy things. Fitted a 8cm fan and reduction in noise, vibration and lower temps. Fan vibration was passed onto casing, then through the feet onto the glass shelving. Fitted 8cm fan on the back, used silcion bathroom sealent as a soft fixing glue & anti vibration, fitted soft feet (reduce HD vibration)

Also HTPC is virtually silent and that has two 12cm fans. 12cm fans spinning at 700-900rpm are virtually silent. Noise levels computer 2' away is so low a open window at night is louder.

Also you could look for ones that are "dust proof" which means mechasim won't be fouled by dust. Fluid bearings are much quiter than bush bearings. Other things like anti-vibration mounts all help.

Trying to figure out how to upgrade devices with 3cm fans (noisy little buggers) one 3cm fan is louder than my entire gaming PC!

ie if you could fit this
http://www.noctua.at/main.php?show=p...3&lng=en&set=1

http://www.acoustiproducts.com/en/ul...fan_mounts.asp
http://www.quietpc.com/

How often do the fans come on? Poor design on the Anthem I'd create a push/pull fan system with a couple of large fans on either side (or one in the middle)

Krell Evolution 900e x 7

Bose Jewel speakers.

Jealous of my speakers?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2912 of 3321 Old 08-16-2014, 03:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbottom View Post
I would think tunnel cooling design would run hotter (with the fan not spinning) than say a standard upper range AVR with vents and heatsinks

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/u9VPRgkj3Do/maxresdefault.jpg

Check the following link, and about half-way down on the scroll bar there are several closeups of the cooling tunnel showing the attachment of output devices w/heatsink compound (appears to be two channels of the 510/710), a downward overall view of the tunnel, and an end view looking into the tunnel from the exhaust end with the fan at the intake end. This review appears to be pretty descriptive, so I wish I could read French! Anyone here capable of translating?

Anthem's tunnel appears to be a four-sided enclosed extrusion with additional radiating surfaces protruding into the interior. As such, all surfaces of the tunnel become a "sinking" device, even the exterior surfaces inside the chassis. Overall, this looks like a fair amount of radiating area for heat dissipation, with the added benefit of a number of interior "fins" that draw the heat away from the output devices into the tunnel. If the fan isn't running, this performs similarly to the "vents and heatsinks" arrangement you mention. However, once the temperature hits a certain level, the fan will kick in. With the fan forcing air through the tunnel and exhausting outside the chassis, heat radiating from the exterior surfaces to the chassis' interior is minimized (which should help adjacent components remain cool...and certainly cooler than passive sinking inside the chassis where the only escape route is via top-venting). This method of cooling is very similar (if not identical) to that employed by Marantz in their 510M amps back in the 70's, and in over 25 years of use I never had a problem with over-heating...ever.

I can also tell you this: compared to my replaced Onkyo 705 (w/interior chassis sinking and top-venting), I can push the snot out of my 310 and the top of the chassis above the tunnel never becomes more than barely warm...regardless of fan speed. With the Onkyo, I could nearly heat the room (OK...a slight exaggeration...but Onkyo was known as a hot-running AVR).

Bottom line: I really wouldn't worry about the cooling tunnel. As a matter of fact...I'd prefer it.

Here's the link: http://www.hdfever.fr/2014/02/07/tes...510-et-mrx710/
post #2913 of 3321 Old 08-16-2014, 04:00 PM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Since new speakers I didn't notice fans even once. Additional cooling is not because Anthem runs hot currently, but because I'll put it into a closed box (+ experiment), so I would want fans anyways. Currently I plan on 3 x 14cm 800 rpm fans with sleeve bearings, golf-ball like surface on fins and included dust filters. Rubber pads are a must of course. As the HTPC will be in a similar space, this cooling design is mostly an experiment for that. Although I think I'll roll with water cooling for that one.

2-channel is just multichannel done badly. - Frank Derks

Last edited by Barnahadnagy; 08-16-2014 at 04:04 PM.
post #2914 of 3321 Old 08-16-2014, 05:15 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 13
What about the hdmi cooling, how is made, with passive cooling?
post #2915 of 3321 Old 08-16-2014, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by traianescu View Post
What about the hdmi cooling, how is made, with passive cooling?
Circuitry for the HDMI connections appears to be on the top-most board of the AVR located at the very rear of the chassis/enclosure. This is also the area that runs hottest in my 310 (as I suspect it does for all x10-series) regardless of input (analog/digital music, TV, movie, whatever) or level of SPL. While this top-rear area of the AVR is hotter than anywhere else, I've not found it hot enough to be much of a concern (so far).

And yes, it's passive.
post #2916 of 3321 Old 08-16-2014, 06:58 PM

Location: Wherever you go...well there you are. Currently I'm here, but soon I'll be someplace else. But rest assured I'll be there at the time, but I'll be gone before you know it.
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Regarding the HD Fever review...it is excellent and quite thorough..at least the best I can tell...given google translate is about as incoherent to me as is my understanding of French....It's a worthwhile challenge though.

Regarding the fan conversation, I wish we'd done this last month, as I suspect my recent install of two "Coolerguys" cabinet fans is crude by comparison to some of the ideas here. They are OK, but still audible... though quieter than the annoying PC that shares the room. I never considered a USB powered fan...but can a USB fan be run off the USB at the rear of the Anthem?

In memory of Buddy, the world's best pup, who passed peacefully June 28th/2014. He is sorely missed.
post #2917 of 3321 Old 08-16-2014, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whodunnit View Post
Regarding the HD Fever review...it is excellent and quite thorough..at least the best I can tell...given google translate is about as incoherent to me as is my understanding of French....It's a worthwhile challenge though.

Regarding the fan conversation, I wish we'd done this last month, as I suspect my recent install of two "Coolerguys" cabinet fans is crude by comparison to some of the ideas here. They are OK, but still audible... though quieter than the annoying PC that shares the room. I never considered a USB powered fan...but can a USB fan be run off the USB at the rear of the Anthem?
I don't know if the USB port is capable of powering a fan, and I wouldn't attempt that without checking with Anthem first. I haven't read the manual in weeks but, if I remember correctly, the USB port is meant for "inputting" FW upgrades only (check the manual or with Anthem to verify/confirm).

How are your fans powered now...120 VAC directly, via a small brick-type xfmr, or what? Options are available to you regardles of voltage.

If the fan itself is noisy (e.g., holding it in your hand in free air and it's noisy), then it's likely the bearing assy or design of the blades...and you're stuck! However, if the fan is transmitting noise via its mechanical attachment to the cabinet, a simple solution to lessen the noise would be placing some low-density open-cell urethane foam between the fan and the cabinet. Another option would be attachment using adhesive-backed velcro fasteners. I've used both in the past, and velcro was most effective though not as mechanically secure. There are also soft-rubber isolation mounts (like grommets) available that work pretty well (I've used them in conjunction with the urethane).

You have options, sir.
post #2918 of 3321 Old 08-16-2014, 09:11 PM

Location: Wherever you go...well there you are. Currently I'm here, but soon I'll be someplace else. But rest assured I'll be there at the time, but I'll be gone before you know it.
^
Thank you for your input "mon ami"...( I believe thats "my friend" in Francais`though I could have called you a garbage scow for all I know...If we went to a French Restaurant...you'd definitely not want me ordering for you...)
The fans are not noisy at all, and it's definitely resonance via the cabinet. They are powered via separate 12VDC power supply, and thermostatically controlled...(not adjustable) I can't remember whether they are 12 or 13cm...but they are fairly good sized, and pull a lot of air. I placed them high in the back of central cabinet bay, ( amp, receiver, Oppo) placed so rising warm air would be extracted, but on second thought, and reading some of the most recent posts, that was kind of dumb....given that the fans would overcome that easily enough. I believe I'd be better off placing them closer to the source components, but I also need to provide more draft from the front to draw air over them. Hard to do without compromising the look of the cabinet, a piece I built and truly like. Be that as it may, though not optimal, it does the job handily enough..and there placement doesn't interfere with the system wiring. Just liked reading other's thoughts and solutions...might have thought it through a little more carefully. The resonance I will definitely work on. Thanks!

In memory of Buddy, the world's best pup, who passed peacefully June 28th/2014. He is sorely missed.

Last edited by whodunnit; 08-17-2014 at 04:26 PM.
post #2919 of 3321 Old 08-17-2014, 03:13 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 13
i saw a message on the twitter, a user had some problems connecting the htpc to the mrx.. anthem said there needs some troubleshooting.. what problems are when connecting a pc via hdmi to mrx, something about movies fps, audio not working, etc ?
post #2920 of 3321 Old 08-17-2014, 03:14 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 15
That's more of a htpc problem rather than MRX I would think, my htpc has no issues with the anthem

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #2921 of 3321 Old 08-17-2014, 03:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by traianescu View Post
i saw a message on the twitter, a user had some problems connecting the htpc to the mrx.. anthem said there needs some troubleshooting.. what problems are when connecting a pc via hdmi to mrx, something about movies fps, audio not working, etc ?
Last time I looked into HDMI from computers, audio side seems a bit wonky. So using optical & coaxial instead. Maybe things have improved. Sure it's not computer side of things? Not a Anthem problem?

Krell Evolution 900e x 7

Bose Jewel speakers.

Jealous of my speakers?

post #2922 of 3321 Old 08-17-2014, 04:53 PM

Well my MRX worked fine with a gaming PC, the HTPC and a laptop on first try, including audio. I'm quite sure that problem is not related to Anthem. Also worked when re-paired with the HTPC today. AMD drivers failed though and changed up the primary / secondary monitor...

post #2923 of 3321 Old 08-18-2014, 09:31 AM

Liked: 22
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick @ Anthem View Post
It's very different, for example if the tweeter and presumably small-diameter woofer in a 2-way speaker have comparable amplitude through a certain range do you cross over on the high side to increase tweeter life expectancy or the low side to minimize jump in dispersion? This still applies to 3-way but in this case where would the 2-way active split best be used? Part of the crossover would still be passive so now impedance among other things becomes a factor.
I knew its not a single button thing but as You describe it still sounds like lotsafun - so bring it on evenmoreso - Your R&D might like the challenge too ...
post #2924 of 3321 Old 08-19-2014, 07:26 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi everybody,

Lets get started by introducing myself. I am a 20 year old student from the Netherlands. The last year I have been verry bussy with upgrading my ht set, starting with a pair of Klipsh rf-52, to a set of b&w cm8 and I recently upgraded to the b&w cm10 (so far one of the best upgrades!) I also have a b&w cmc2 and a Rel r528se. I am using an Onkyo tx-nr828 to power the whole set. I want to replace the Onkyo, because i miss accuracy, detail and clearness.

I have been reading about the Anthem mrx x10 series for months and i want to replace my Onkyo for an Anthem. The real question is: which model?
I know my b&w want lots of power, so the 510/710 would be the best choise but I want to buy an amp in the near future. I was thinking about the Anthem pva5 or a Rotel 5 channel amp (same price, Rotel has 200 wpc, Anthem 125 so the Rotel seems to be the better choise). With an amp i would not need a 510/710, right?

The only differences i could find between the models are wpc, the 510/710 have a front panel hdmi input and are 7.1 while the 310 is 5.1. The 710 also has a better transformer. Are there any other differences besides the ones i mentioned above? ARC, hdmi boards, wiring, shielding etcetera are the same?

So what model suits my needs the best according to you guys?

Thanks for helping!
post #2925 of 3321 Old 08-19-2014, 07:58 AM

Yup, everything else is the same. What do you use as a source? You have the following options: buy the power amp and use the Onkyo as a pre-amp, buy the power amp AND an MRX and use MRX as pre-amp, or buy just the MRX.
If you want to go with separate amps, the MRX has one advantage over the Onkyo (Apart from questionable DAC-related improvements), and that's ARC. 828 has regular MultiEQ, which is quite far behind ARC. I would not recommend this option, unless your room is really bad. And Onkyo has nice features.
In any case I would recommend demoing both power amps at home if possible, including volume test to see if you need more power. You should also demo the MRX, partly to check power, party to check audio, but separate amps will probably offer better audio.

Last edited by Barnahadnagy; 08-19-2014 at 08:02 AM.
post #2926 of 3321 Old 08-19-2014, 09:11 AM

Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnahadnagy View Post
Yup, everything else is the same. What do you use as a source? You have the following options: buy the power amp and use the Onkyo as a pre-amp, buy the power amp AND an MRX and use MRX as pre-amp, or buy just the MRX.
If you want to go with separate amps, the MRX has one advantage over the Onkyo (Apart from questionable DAC-related improvements), and that's ARC. 828 has regular MultiEQ, which is quite far behind ARC. I would not recommend this option, unless your room is really bad. And Onkyo has nice features.
In any case I would recommend demoing both power amps at home if possible, including volume test to see if you need more power. You should also demo the MRX, partly to check power, party to check audio, but separate amps will probably offer better audio.
I am using an Oppo bdp-103D as source. I would rather not use the Onkyo as a pre, because i think any Anthem will be better. I think the Anthem and power amp option is the best. If i will buy a power amp i would go for the 310 because i dont need the 7.1 and extra front hdmi and besides that everything is the same.

I spoke to my dealer and he can only let me demo a 710. I think i will do that to see how different the Anthem is to my Onkyo and than see if i will keep the 710 and therefore not buy an amp for a couple of months or go for the 310, save 1k and buy an amp in about 1-2 months.
post #2927 of 3321 Old 08-19-2014, 09:47 AM

Aye with the Oppo the Onkyo is not needed. MRX + power amp is of course the best option, but also the most expensive. Just a heads up, if you want to use ARC, you should run a digital (preferably HDMI) between the Oppo and the MRX.

post #2928 of 3321 Old 08-19-2014, 10:24 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinmull112 View Post
I If i will buy a power amp i would go for the 310 because i dont need the 7.1 and extra front hdmi and besides that everything is the same.

I spoke to my dealer and he can only let me demo a 710. I think i will do that to see how different the Anthem is to my Onkyo and than see if i will keep the 710 and therefore not buy an amp for a couple of months or go for the 310, save 1k and buy an amp in about 1-2 months.
FWIW, I went that route a month ago. I purchased a 310 and paired it with an emotiva XPA Gen 2. I'm coming from an Onkyo 818 and I'm definitely glad I did. ARC seems to be an improvement over Audyssey in my room.
post #2929 of 3321 Old 08-19-2014, 02:19 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbreda View Post
What model Pioneer Elite was it-that unit did not shut down in the same location? Same speakers on the previous AVR? Not trying to fuel any fire but want to be informed. If I go with the Anthem, it will be inside a cabinet that does not get much airflow.
VSX-44. Same exact speakers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryMB View Post
Hard to believe that's the explanation, since you initially said it was shutting down after only a minute or so of use. Could you hear the fan operating before shutdown?
I turned on the unit, ran ARC, then tried it on the TV in the space it was in. The next day when I tested it, it was in the same enclosed space and was on for 10 mins before turning off. I then pulled the unit out, tested 10 mins with each speaker, then with the sub on each one, and eventually all of them on at the same time. The unit since it was taken out has not shut down once. When it was in there the two previous times, the unit was hot to the touch and it no longer gets like that.
post #2930 of 3321 Old 08-19-2014, 02:24 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Fair enough. I guess I'm convinced.
post #2931 of 3321 Old 08-19-2014, 02:56 PM

Liked: 11
FWIW, I just noticed that the iOS app is live (seems to have come out yesterday). I just downloaded it but am not home so cannot give any thoughts...search "Anthem MRX" on the iOS App store!
feistyacorn likes this.
post #2932 of 3321 Old 08-19-2014, 03:13 PM
AVS Special Member

It'll be good if you could use a android device for the calibration process. I don't have a laptop. The PC would probably result in some noise being picked up my the mic.

Krell Evolution 900e x 7

Bose Jewel speakers.

Jealous of my speakers?

post #2933 of 3321 Old 08-19-2014, 10:23 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlblufan View Post
FWIW, I just noticed that the iOS app is live (seems to have come out yesterday). I just downloaded it but am not home so cannot give any thoughts...search "Anthem MRX" on the iOS App store!
WHAT?! Why wouldn't they announce this?!

Just downloaded and started playing with it! It's pretty snappy at detecting my 710 and loading all my settings.
-The app is much more intuitive than the remote control.
-Source selection UI maybe needs a little bit of polish...but it does work!
-In fact, everything works as you would expect it with a brisk instantaneity that I had long lost when using my Logitech harmony remotes. Thumbs up for instant gratification!

My favorite part is that the app provides me visual access to most of the menu/remote control functions, without having to turn my TV on. *The app does not provide access to the SETUP menu however, and thats okay.
post #2934 of 3321 Old 08-20-2014, 08:31 AM

I'm one of the last surviving members on the planet to own a dumb phone...so no downloading apps for me, but I would like to purchase an inexpensive tablet primarily for use as a multi-remote for my system, wifi needed only. Any suggestions?

post #2935 of 3321 Old 08-20-2014, 08:40 AM

Liked: 22
All remote apps I tried so far are crap and I used them just for a couple of days. Why? Because it's usually as bad as multiple remotes but sometimes even with less functionality or "connectivity". The Anthem one is no exception.. Anybody knows an app to replace a Harmony, an app that works as a reliable multi remote also for Anthems products?
post #2936 of 3321 Old 08-20-2014, 08:50 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
I'm one of the last surviving members on the planet to own a dumb phone...so no downloading apps for me, but I would like to purchase an inexpensive tablet primarily for use as a multi-remote for my system, wifi needed only. Any suggestions?
The app is available for Android as well as. If you want inexpensive, then check out an Android tablet. You should be able to find a basic one for about $200 or less.
post #2937 of 3321 Old 08-20-2014, 01:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by philhippo View Post
Why wouldn't they announce this?!
-Source selection UI maybe needs a little bit of polish...but it does work!
*The app does not provide access to the SETUP menu however, and thats okay.
Soft launch until today so store download could be tested for a day, and so iOS and Android could be announced at same time.

Input selection ended up in a pull-down because MRX allows 1 to 20 inputs, and they can be renamed in the setup menu (tip: rotate volume knob to quickly change characters). Too many hurdles with trying to get 1 to 20 buttons onto 3.5-inch screens, and large enough for the longest names. Having all "everyday use" pages accessible within 2 swipes was also on the wish list, and it easily won. Practically everyone has seen a pull-down input list on TVs, and in MRX' case unused inputs don't clutter the list, which mimics the MRX on-screen display.

There's a Setup button on the third page (see fourth screenshot on Play link below). When you press it you get a cursor pad and no Input or Clear button like on the factory handset to prevent risk of family members accidentally making sources vanish. Setup access itself was a borderline decision.

eta: Before installing please read the Important Notes in the app description.

https://itunes.apple.com/app/anthem-...te/id906703317

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...m.anthemav.mrx
JasonT35 likes this.

The most important noise floor is in your head. Always remember to protect your hearing.

Last edited by Nick @ Anthem; 08-21-2014 at 03:08 PM. Reason: shorter URLs
post #2938 of 3321 Old 08-20-2014, 05:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 382
Quote:
Hehehe....no, your not the only one still using a dumb phone.
whodunnit and OMRSC like this.
post #2939 of 3321 Old 08-20-2014, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn94 View Post
Hehehe....no, your not the only one still using a dumb phone.
So my species ultimate extinction may not happen for a few years yet? Thank god..I thought I was the last surviving dodo. Glad to know I'm not the only one out there not keeping up. Nice to see ya Saturn!

Mazpri-Regarding remote control apps...do you know, (or anyone else here) anything about IRule? I'm not kidding about my limited knowledge of android/ ios...I was wondering how challenging it might be to set up for a last generation guy like me, and if it was a worthwhile app to begin with. Any takers?

post #2940 of 3321 Old 08-20-2014, 07:35 PM

Quote:
So my species ultimate extinction may not happen for a few years yet? Thank god..I thought I was the last surviving dodo. Glad to know I'm not the only one out there not keeping up. Nice to see ya Saturn!

Mazpri-Regarding remote control apps...do you know, (or anyone else here) anything about IRule? I'm not kidding about my limited knowledge of android/ ios...I was wondering how challenging it might be to set up for a last generation guy like me, and if it was a worthwhile app to begin with. Any takers?
You and Saturn aren't the only dinosaurs on this thread...I'm still happy with my Jitterbug.
whodunnit likes this.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Anthem Mrx710 , Anthem Mrx510 , Anthem Mrx310
Gear in this thread - Mrx710 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page