Anthem MRX Receivers - 310, 510, 710 Owners Thread & Tweaking Guide - Page 99 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2941 of 2946 Old 08-21-2014, 05:27 AM

Location: Wherever you go...well there you are. Currently I'm here, but soon I'll be someplace else. But rest assured I'll be there at the time, but I'll be gone before you know it.
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by OMRSC View Post
You and Saturn aren't the only dinosaurs on this thread...I'm still happy with my Jitterbug.
Ooooh...the one with the really big buttons? I envy you. No phone can quite "butt dial" like a Jitterbug. I still have my old Motorola brick phone, survived many a job site too I might add...still waiting for the Smithsonian to make an offer! My asking price is 98 cents, but so far negotiations have stalled. Damned budget cuts.

In memory of Buddy, the world's best pup, who passed peacefully June 28th/2014. He is sorely missed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2942 of 2946 Old 08-21-2014, 07:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 362
Quote:
Originally Posted by whodunnit View Post
Ooooh...the one with the really big buttons? I envy you. No phone can quite "butt dial" like a Jitterbug. I still have my old Motorola brick phone, survived many a job site too I might add...still waiting for the Smithsonian to make an offer! My asking price is 98 cents, but so far negotiations have stalled. Damned budget cuts.
Earlier this year I came close to joining the 21st century by considering a smart phone, but I'm too cheap to pay the prices they charge for data plans. Besides, as long as I can make phone calls, I'm pretty happy.

My appologies to Anthem MRX owners for being off topic (I am an AVM owner though if that counts ).
post #2943 of 2946 Old Yesterday, 04:43 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Hmm now I gave for some time to listen to my mrx 710, it's really awesome.
But after some movies I have found out I sometimes have some distortion in my right surround speaker, not sure if it's in the movie or the reciever which curses the problem.
E.g at the Avengers 1:45:55 when the big monsters comes through the portal. And it's not the only time I have heard it.
I'm listening at -30 db. It's running a set of monitor audio silver RX with RX 8 fronts and RX fx surround.

My other problem is a humming/zumming from the reciever which comes and goes with 10-20 sec intervals.
It's so loud I can hear it 1.5-2 meter away while there's music or voice on the system.
Hope someone can help
post #2944 of 2946 Old Yesterday, 06:06 PM

Liked: 10
Audio start delay not 100% gone

I picked up a MRX710 a few days ago. Running the ARC was very easy, even using a Macbook and Parallels. I was dreading that, but I had no problems at all (other than having to connect a CD drive to get to the calibration file). My receiver doesn't have any brightness difference between medium and maximum on the front panel display, but that hardly seems to merit an exchange, especially since this unit is eventually going to live in a closet.

One observation is that the complaint that a lot of people mentioned early on - the audio delay when changing music tracks on an optical/coax source - does still seem to exist, but it's very slight. I'm running the most recent firmware (1.2.1), with a Mac connected via coax, and I've noticed that if I pause playback for 5 seconds or so, and I resume at a new track, the first attack on that track is clipped. This seems to be much less severe than people originally reported - it's literally just the attack, just milliseconds - but it's still there. I don't understand why that firmware change couldn't completely fix this, particularly - as many have mentioned - the Japanese receivers don't do this. (I've just switched from a Denon.) The problem is unique to the coax (and maybe optical) digital connections, but doesn't exist via HDMI, presumably because that signal is constant.

Anyway, that issue is still there, unless there's some hidden newer firmware I don't know about. Great receiver once the audio is playing, though.
post #2945 of 2946 Old Yesterday, 09:00 PM

Liked: 10
More distortion clues

Just got the MRX710 a few days ago, and damn it, it turns out I am experiencing the distortion as well. It's on my right channel, and I've only noticed it with well-recorded minimally-compressed (live jazz or classical) piano music. It's there whether or not I use ARC.
If I'm running the audio through HDMI, I can GREATLY reduce the distortion by turning on Dolby Volume, and it gets "better" the higher the setting on the Dolby Volume Leveler, but that changes the audio considerably. I've always hated Dolby Volume and would rather not use it. Running the same audio via coax, I can't find any way to reduce the distortion (as in, Dolby Volume does not correct it). Not sure if that's a clue?

I don't know if the forums will let me share an MP3 link, but if so, here's an excerpt that has very audible distortion on my system. This is from one of the Oscar Peterson CDs on Telarc. Zero distortion via headphones or other (non-Anthem) receivers. (I haven't tried it using the MRX710 as a pre-amp.) Do you guys hear any distortion with this track, played at a fairly high level?
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...Distortion.mp3

Speakers - but I doubt it's relevant - are Paradigm Signature 8 and a Signature Servo sub. I'm running the speakers bi-amped, currently only two channel. I'm running firmware 1.2.1. My dealer is on vacation for the next week, so I can't exchange or return this for a while, so if anybody wants me to try anything, I'm open to it.

Last edited by Osti; Yesterday at 09:17 PM.
post #2946 of 2946 Old Today, 03:59 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osti View Post
...the audio delay when changing music tracks on an optical/coax source...
That is correct. Singal locking is still not instantaneous, but on coax/optical, it is much faster than on HDMI. What you are experiencing is the muting circuit, which mutes the MRX after not receiving signal for 3-5 seconds (not tested). The display should switch to "no signal" from "2.0 PCM". On HDMI this does not happen, due to the continuous workings of HDMI (signal will stay locked indefinitely), but the locking itself is slower over HDMI.

Most of our issues came from the overly aggressive muting circuit, which muted tracks after 1 sec of no-signal / digital silence. This has been fixed. The noticeable lock time still persists, and I'm not sure it'll be (or if it can be) improved.

I'll test your file on my 510. Oh and you can always ask support about the lock-time, if they are working on something they'll send a beta firmware to you.

2-channel is just multichannel done badly. - Frank Derks
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Anthem Mrx710 , Anthem Mrx510 , Anthem Mrx310
Gear in this thread - Mrx710 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page