Anthem MRX Receivers - 310, 510, 710 Owners Thread & Tweaking Guide - Page 99 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2941 of 3323 Old 08-21-2014, 06:27 AM

Location: Wherever you go...well there you are. Currently I'm here, but soon I'll be someplace else. But rest assured I'll be there at the time, but I'll be gone before you know it.
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by OMRSC View Post
You and Saturn aren't the only dinosaurs on this thread...I'm still happy with my Jitterbug.
Ooooh...the one with the really big buttons? I envy you. No phone can quite "butt dial" like a Jitterbug. I still have my old Motorola brick phone, survived many a job site too I might add...still waiting for the Smithsonian to make an offer! My asking price is 98 cents, but so far negotiations have stalled. Damned budget cuts.

In memory of Buddy, the world's best pup, who passed peacefully June 28th/2014. He is sorely missed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2942 of 3323 Old 08-21-2014, 08:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 382
Quote:
Originally Posted by whodunnit View Post
Ooooh...the one with the really big buttons? I envy you. No phone can quite "butt dial" like a Jitterbug. I still have my old Motorola brick phone, survived many a job site too I might add...still waiting for the Smithsonian to make an offer! My asking price is 98 cents, but so far negotiations have stalled. Damned budget cuts.
Earlier this year I came close to joining the 21st century by considering a smart phone, but I'm too cheap to pay the prices they charge for data plans. Besides, as long as I can make phone calls, I'm pretty happy.

My appologies to Anthem MRX owners for being off topic (I am an AVM owner though if that counts ).
post #2943 of 3323 Old 08-22-2014, 05:43 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Hmm now I gave for some time to listen to my mrx 710, it's really awesome.
But after some movies I have found out I sometimes have some distortion in my right surround speaker, not sure if it's in the movie or the reciever which curses the problem.
E.g at the Avengers 1:45:55 when the big monsters comes through the portal. And it's not the only time I have heard it.
I'm listening at -30 db. It's running a set of monitor audio silver RX with RX 8 fronts and RX fx surround.

My other problem is a humming/zumming from the reciever which comes and goes with 10-20 sec intervals.
It's so loud I can hear it 1.5-2 meter away while there's music or voice on the system.
Hope someone can help
post #2944 of 3323 Old 08-22-2014, 07:06 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Audio start delay not 100% gone

I picked up a MRX710 a few days ago. Running the ARC was very easy, even using a Macbook and Parallels. I was dreading that, but I had no problems at all (other than having to connect a CD drive to get to the calibration file). My receiver doesn't have any brightness difference between medium and maximum on the front panel display, but that hardly seems to merit an exchange, especially since this unit is eventually going to live in a closet.

One observation is that the complaint that a lot of people mentioned early on - the audio delay when changing music tracks on an optical/coax source - does still seem to exist, but it's very slight. I'm running the most recent firmware (1.2.1), with a Mac connected via coax, and I've noticed that if I pause playback for 5 seconds or so, and I resume at a new track, the first attack on that track is clipped. This seems to be much less severe than people originally reported - it's literally just the attack, just milliseconds - but it's still there. I don't understand why that firmware change couldn't completely fix this, particularly - as many have mentioned - the Japanese receivers don't do this. (I've just switched from a Denon.) The problem is unique to the coax (and maybe optical) digital connections, but doesn't exist via HDMI, presumably because that signal is constant.

Anyway, that issue is still there, unless there's some hidden newer firmware I don't know about. Great receiver once the audio is playing, though.
post #2945 of 3323 Old 08-22-2014, 10:00 PM

More distortion clues

Just got the MRX710 a few days ago, and damn it, it turns out I am experiencing the distortion as well. It's on my right channel, and I've only noticed it with well-recorded minimally-compressed (live jazz or classical) piano music. It's there whether or not I use ARC.
If I'm running the audio through HDMI, I can GREATLY reduce the distortion by turning on Dolby Volume, and it gets "better" the higher the setting on the Dolby Volume Leveler, but that changes the audio considerably. I've always hated Dolby Volume and would rather not use it. Running the same audio via coax, I can't find any way to reduce the distortion (as in, Dolby Volume does not correct it). Not sure if that's a clue?

I don't know if the forums will let me share an MP3 link, but if so, here's an excerpt that has very audible distortion on my system. This is from one of the Oscar Peterson CDs on Telarc. Zero distortion via headphones or other (non-Anthem) receivers. (I haven't tried it using the MRX710 as a pre-amp.) Do you guys hear any distortion with this track, played at a fairly high level?
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...Distortion.mp3

Speakers - but I doubt it's relevant - are Paradigm Signature 8 and a Signature Servo sub. I'm running the speakers bi-amped, currently only two channel. I'm running firmware 1.2.1. My dealer is on vacation for the next week, so I can't exchange or return this for a while, so if anybody wants me to try anything, I'm open to it.

Last edited by Osti; 08-22-2014 at 10:17 PM.
post #2946 of 3323 Old 08-23-2014, 04:59 AM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osti View Post
...the audio delay when changing music tracks on an optical/coax source...
That is correct. Singal locking is still not instantaneous, but on coax/optical, it is much faster than on HDMI. What you are experiencing is the muting circuit, which mutes the MRX after not receiving signal for 3-5 seconds (not tested). The display should switch to "no signal" from "2.0 PCM". On HDMI this does not happen, due to the continuous workings of HDMI (signal will stay locked indefinitely), but the locking itself is slower over HDMI.

Most of our issues came from the overly aggressive muting circuit, which muted tracks after 1 sec of no-signal / digital silence. This has been fixed. The noticeable lock time still persists, and I'm not sure it'll be (or if it can be) improved.

I'll test your file on my 510. Oh and you can always ask support about the lock-time, if they are working on something they'll send a beta firmware to you.

2-channel is just multichannel done badly. - Frank Derks
post #2947 of 3323 Old 08-23-2014, 07:03 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Just got the MRX710 a few days ago, and damn it, it turns out I am experiencing the distortion as well. It's on my right channel, and I've only noticed it with well-recorded minimally-compressed (live jazz or classical) piano music. It's there whether or not I use ARC.
If I'm running the audio through HDMI, I can GREATLY reduce the distortion by turning on Dolby Volume, and it gets "better" the higher the setting on the Dolby Volume Leveler, but that changes the audio considerably. I've always hated Dolby Volume and would rather not use it. Running the same audio via coax, I can't find any way to reduce the distortion (as in, Dolby Volume does not correct it). Not sure if that's a clue?

I don't know if the forums will let me share an MP3 link, but if so, here's an excerpt that has very audible distortion on my system. This is from one of the Oscar Peterson CDs on Telarc. Zero distortion via headphones or other (non-Anthem) receivers. (I haven't tried it using the MRX710 as a pre-amp.) Do you guys hear any distortion with this track, played at a fairly high level?

Speakers - but I doubt it's relevant - are Paradigm Signature 8 and a Signature Servo sub. I'm running the speakers bi-amped, currently only two channel. I'm running firmware 1.2.1. My dealer is on vacation for the next week, so I can't exchange or return this for a while, so if anybody wants me to try anything, I'm open to it.
I had a similar problem on my 500 (not my 710) when I originally bought it several years ago. Turning on Dolby volume reduced the distortion, although the distortion in my unit was present even at low volume. A factory reset and then a new firmware install took care of it. It never returned after that.
post #2948 of 3323 Old 08-23-2014, 10:50 AM

False alarm on that distortion

After much more investigating (including running the MRX710 only as a preamp into my Denon receiver, then running the Denon on its own and still hearing the distortion), it appears that the problem is not with the MRX710, but with one of my Signature 8 towers. Now to figure out how to get service on a 110 pound speaker that is a year out of warranty... (I bought these in 2008. Oy.)

Quote:

post #2949 of 3323 Old 08-23-2014, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grymok View Post
Hmm now I gave for some time to listen to my mrx 710, it's really awesome.
But after some movies I have found out I sometimes have some distortion in my right surround speaker, not sure if it's in the movie or the reciever which curses the problem.
E.g at the Avengers 1:45:55 when the big monsters comes through the portal. And it's not the only time I have heard it.
I'm listening at -30 db. It's running a set of monitor audio silver RX with RX 8 fronts and RX fx surround.

My other problem is a humming/zumming from the reciever which comes and goes with 10-20 sec intervals.
It's so loud I can hear it 1.5-2 meter away while there's music or voice on the system.
Hope someone can help
Just saw Aliens vs. Predator: Requiem and America the first Avenger. Both movies the Distortion happened on ONLY the right surround speaker which is a Monitor Audio RX FX. It's under under some specific scenes with a lot of sounds going on, not shooting etc, it's mostly from music, jets from planes and such.
post #2950 of 3323 Old 08-23-2014, 03:22 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by grymok View Post
Just saw Aliens vs. Predator: Requiem and America the first Avenger. Both movies the Distortion happened on ONLY the right surround speaker which is a Monitor Audio RX FX. It's under under some specific scenes with a lot of sounds going on, not shooting etc, it's mostly from music, jets from planes and such.
Swap the speakers and retry that scenes
OMRSC likes this.
post #2951 of 3323 Old 08-23-2014, 04:34 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by traianescu View Post
Good suggestion, my thoughts exactly.
post #2952 of 3323 Old 08-24-2014, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by traianescu View Post
I tried that and it seems it's still there.
I've troede turning off arc which seems to remove the distortion.
How to fix that?
the hum/buzz from the reciever seems to be most present when watching TV with audio return. Hmm
post #2953 of 3323 Old 08-24-2014, 05:21 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Ok I just ordered an MRX 510...coming from an Marantz av8801 that I was having so many problems with decided to give up on it. I will be using my own amps instead of the built in ones. I am excited to be get another anthem as I love the dedication and quality they put in their work. Having ARC as well will be a welcome addition.
post #2954 of 3323 Old 08-24-2014, 11:55 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 20
For Nick or any owner who uses the 12V trigger output on the MRX receivers: does the said output have a built-in delay, i.e. does the "triggered" component turn on immediately on powering up the MRX or a few seconds later?

TIA.
post #2955 of 3323 Old 08-25-2014, 05:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryMB View Post
For Nick or any owner who uses the 12V trigger output on the MRX receivers: does the said output have a built-in delay, i.e. does the "triggered" component turn on immediately on powering up the MRX or a few seconds later?

TIA.
There's a delay. The trigger on my 310 comes on about when the internal amps do.
post #2956 of 3323 Old 08-25-2014, 09:53 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryMB View Post

TIA.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnatalli View Post
There's a delay. The trigger on my 310 comes on about when the internal amps do.

Exactly

post #2957 of 3323 Old 08-25-2014, 10:12 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Thanks, guys. Hopefully that means that power amps and/or subwoofers aren't triggered until any turn-on transients occurring in the MRX preamp have settled down.
post #2958 of 3323 Old 08-25-2014, 11:04 AM

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 69
For those of you that have worried about the MRX shutting down on certain apparently benign speaker loads, I just read something interesting in a review of some RBH speaker over at Hometheaterreview.com. Long story short, the Anthem is not the only receiver to do this, and it may not do it even though a different AVR did. Here's the relevant section of the article:

I highlighted those impedance numbers for a very specific reason. By all rights, the RBH CTx Series speakers should work with virtually any mass-market AV receiver, given its numbers. Even the minimal impedance of the C-4x is right in line with what you would expect from a speaker with a rated nominal impedance of eight ohms. RBH is, after all, one of the few companies that you can always count on to rate its speakers meticulously and conservatively, and the CTx Series system is no exception.
So I thought nothing of connecting the system to the Onkyo TX-NR636 7.2-channel receiver that I was reviewing when the RBH speakers arrived. I fired up the receiver, cued up the disc currently in my Oppo Blu-ray player (the DVD-Audio release of Chicago II by Rhino), and sat down to get acquainted with the new speakers. Despite being rated to drive a six-ohm load, though, the Onkyo simply couldn't handle that disc's dynamics when played through the RBH speakers. Any appreciable peak resulted in the receiver going into fault-protection mode.
Not quite sure whether to blame the receiver or the speakers (but strongly suspecting the former, given that I had run into problems with it during the course of its review), I swapped out the Onkyo for my trusty Anthem MRX 710. From there, I'm happy to report, the installation, setup, and listening process was almost 100 percent problem-free.

post #2959 of 3323 Old 08-25-2014, 11:51 AM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I like this quote. No elaboration though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkeeler10 View Post
From there, I'm happy to report, the installation, setup, and listening process was almost 100 percent problem-free.
post #2960 of 3323 Old 08-26-2014, 02:22 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 22
IP based Multiremote

Quote:
Originally Posted by whodunnit View Post
...do you know, (or anyone else here) anything about IRule?...
Hi whodunnit - thx for the hint. I guess it's rather easy to setup since it uses a (costly) IR emitter box in most cases. Even though they claim to have IP based control options the Anthem brand is only listed as IR compatible devices.
But I'd rather have sth that comes out of the box with IP based controls for Anthem and Oppo, etc. an no extra hardware involved.
OpenRemote might be an alternative since I might be able to run the server on a existing box but at the moment I just don't find the time to dig into such projects... so I'll have to wait until somebody comes up with a turn key solution (or gettin early retirement)
post #2961 of 3323 Old 08-28-2014, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazpri View Post
Hi whodunnit - thx for the hint. I guess it's rather easy to setup since it uses a (costly) IR emitter box in most cases. Even though they claim to have IP based control options the Anthem brand is only listed as IR compatible devices.
But I'd rather have sth that comes out of the box with IP based controls for Anthem and Oppo, etc. an no extra hardware involved.
OpenRemote might be an alternative since I might be able to run the server on a existing box but at the moment I just don't find the time to dig into such projects... so I'll have to wait until somebody comes up with a turn key solution (or gettin early retirement)

I have IRule and have to somewhat disagree with the costly remark. Yes you initially buy the software...and an IR emitter box but for what you can do with it you cant get this level of control without buying a installer solution. If you can get an IP address you most likely can control it with IRule. I just got my MRX 510 so I will be seeing how I can control it with IRule. On the MRX 510 let me just say WOW! after running ARC this is amazing sound coming from this sucker!!
post #2962 of 3323 Old 09-01-2014, 03:40 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlynch34 View Post
I just got my MRX 510 so I will be seeing how I can control it with IRule.
Hi Don
Your expertise is very much apprechiated - since there are also some bad comments in the app shop about IRule i was even more unconvinced - but still hope for a handy solution to make some makro buttons for different use cases for my setup.
Has your test been a succes for the MRX via IP only? Do You also have an Oppo player to test for IP remote feat? What about your TV or any other source player in the mix?
post #2963 of 3323 Old 09-01-2014, 10:01 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I'm looking to upgrade my ageing Denon 3808ci AVR and was able to borrow an Anthem MRX-510 from my dealer (Peak Audio in Halfax, Nova Scotia - these guys are great and highly recommended) to audition in my home. This MRX-510 is their demo unit and is well broken in.

I use a Rotel RMB-1095 for amplification, which drives a Klipsch system (RF-7II mains, RC-64II center, and RS-62II surrounds) with a Paradigm Sub 15 subwoofer (with Perfect Bass Kit EQ applied).

The first thing I did was flash the firmware to the latest revision, reset settings to default, then performed a 5-point ARC EQ. I've had the unit for three days now, moving back and forth from my Denon to the MRX-510 several times. Note that the Denon has had Audyssey run on it, too (though it's the older XT and not XT32), and I haven't performed any further manual calibrations on either unit beyond that.

The good: With Blu-ray movies, the Anthem has a more detailed high-end (I expect partly because ARC EQ only applies to 5K and lower frequencies, while Audyssey does not limit to 5K and below) and appears to engage the surround speakers more. I've heard details in favourite movies that I've never noticed before, and coming from more distinct directions, too. The 510 seems a bit more controlled and refined than the Denon which, for me, might also one of its weaknesses.

The bad: The Denon's low-end (ie, bass) is MUCH more powerful, which translates into much more fun for me, personally. Some of my reference scenes include several parts in Tron: Legacy, especially the Zuse chapter in the End Of Line Club. With the Anthem, like I said, high-end details are more pronounced and enjoyable. But the fun in these scenes for me is the powerful (but not boomy) low end from Daft Punk's soundtrack. It's not the "thump thump thump" that I enjoy about bass notes, it's what I might call "sound energy", though I realize that's probably an inaccurate term. It's also not that the Anthem doesn't reach down, it does - the big bass extension is still there, it's just not nearly as "full" as it is with the old Denon. (Note: Dialing up the Sub 15 a notch only results in unwanted boominess here). Another reference scene for me is the opening of Star Trek Into Darkness when the Enterprise rises out of the water. Again, all the notes are there with the Anthem and each note by itself might be more accurately rendered, but the Denon provides a much more engaging "fun ride" if you will, at the expense of some imaging and detail.

I don't listen to too much stereo music, but I do have a favourite track or two. I compared Rebecca Pigeon's "Spanish Harlem" (SACD in stereo mode) with the Denon on Pure Direct and the Anthem with ARC both on and off. Since I only have the Oppo 93 (not the audiophile 95 or 105) I just left it connected to both via HDMI and let the AVRs handle the DAC processing. I may be mistaken, but it doesn't appear that you can turn on a "stereo only" mode on the Anthem when using HDMI. No matter, they both sounded very similar to my ears, though ironically the Anthem had more bass this time, perhaps because it was using the Sub 15 while the Denon was not.

As always, these are my personal findings in my system in my home. I would absolutely accept the conclusion that my ears are "damaged" listening to low frequency energy that does not exist in the source, but it artificially enhanced by the Denon. Yet, I just cannot get excited about the sound coming out of the MRX.

I really REALLY wanted to like the Anthem. I'm wondering if anyone else has had similar experiences with their MRX-x10 units and if there are further adjustments I could attempt. I would love to hear some counterpoints to what I have discussed above.

My alternatives at this point are not great. I'm also considering the Marantz AV8801 and the much more expensive Krell Foundation, neither of which I can audition before purchasing. So if I can get the Anthem sounding the way I want, so much the better. :-)

Anthem MRX-310 / Rotel RMB-1095 / Oppo BDP-93
Klipsch RF-7 II, RC-64 II, RS-62 II (5.1) / Paradigm Sub 15
post #2964 of 3323 Old 09-01-2014, 10:12 AM

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJazz View Post
I'm looking to upgrade my ageing Denon 3808ci AVR and was able to borrow an Anthem MRX-510 from my dealer . . .

I really REALLY wanted to like the Anthem. I'm wondering if anyone else has had similar experiences with their MRX-x10 units and if there are further adjustments I could attempt. I would love to hear some counterpoints to what I have discussed above.
First thing to do is post your ARC graphs and targets screenshots so people with experience here can take a look and note if anything is amiss. Second, the best (most accurate) way to give your bass a boost with the Anthem is to run ARC in manual mode and adjust the room gain number. Adjust it up 2-3 dB and then play your reference material again and see what happens. Remember that you can have two different configurations for ARC which can be assigned by source, so your movies can have the bass boost you like while music can be more flat if you prefer that.
DrJazz likes this.

post #2965 of 3323 Old 09-01-2014, 10:18 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
One of the things I love about ARC is that it makes my Velodyne HGS0-15 disappear into the rest of the system. Unfortunately it also made much of my bass disappear. Try increasing the Room Gain setting a bit, this helped me greatly. I also add somewhere between +2 and +4 on the subwoofer level to bring things up some. TRON: Legacy was insanely good with those 2 changes. Not boomy at all but also extremely present.
DrJazz likes this.
post #2966 of 3323 Old 09-01-2014, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkeeler10 View Post
First thing to do is post your ARC graphs and targets screenshots so people with experience here can take a look and note if anything is amiss.
A fantastic idea, thank you. Graphs are attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Anthem MRX-510.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	144.9 KB
ID:	240538   Click image for larger version

Name:	Target.png
Views:	56
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	240858  

Last edited by DrJazz; 09-01-2014 at 12:52 PM. Reason: Include target screen
post #2967 of 3323 Old 09-01-2014, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breddy View Post
Try increasing the Room Gain setting a bit, this helped me greatly.
bkeeler10 also suggested the room gain idea. I'll give that a shot and report back. Thank you both for your suggestions!

post #2968 of 3323 Old 09-01-2014, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 50
I am a D2 owner - I would suggest the D2v if your distributor
has one or an AV50v as a backup, especially where you have
external AMPs.
post #2969 of 3323 Old 09-01-2014, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJazz View Post
A fantastic idea, thank you. Graphs are attached.
Please post your Targets' Screen.
post #2970 of 3323 Old 09-01-2014, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja12 View Post
Please post your Targets' Screen.
Oops. I have updated my post above to include the target screen. Thanks.

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Anthem Mrx710 , Anthem Mrx510 , Anthem Mrx310
Gear in this thread - Mrx710 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page