advice requested - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 11-02-2013, 08:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Good morning

I am looking at a stereo set up and would like some advice on my choices. Please keep in mind that this will be for music and movies, more to the music side. Musical tastes include Tool, Slayer, Type o Negative to Gin Blossoms Brother Cane and classic rock types Led Zepplin , Jethro Tull and so on.

The movie side of this is that it be clear. Do not need to rattle the house when watching an action film.

Currently I am using a Yamaha HTR-5750 ( never really worked correctly, remote is useless other than volume control ) and is around ten years old. DCM KX10 speakers that are at least 15 years old and two small JBL sats that are older than them. Have a recent Panasonic BD-35 BR player that I like.

Current room size is 24X12. Will be relocating to a room twice that size in 2 years time.

Anyway this is what I am looking at:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882117409

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882290206

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882290034

I do plan on adding a pair of smaller sats and a center later but want to get something to start me going.

Prices are close to what I'd like to spend but not cemented in my mind.

Any and all responses are appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 11-02-2013, 09:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Being this is mainly for music, and you are flexible on the price, I would consider better quality mains.
$100/speaker does not get much these days. Speakers that are 67% off are most likely only worth the sale price.
post #3 of 7 Old 11-02-2013, 09:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked: 1167
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4DHD View Post

Being this is mainly for music, and you are flexible on the price, I would consider better quality mains.
$100/speaker does not get much these days. Speakers that are 67% off are most likely only worth the sale price.

You are missing a good subwoofer.

Probably a bigger improvement than a center channel speaker. even with floor standers.
post #4 of 7 Old 11-02-2013, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 558

^ Agree with the need for better subwoofer especially considering you will be moving into a larger room in 2 years. If you mostly listen to music then the center channel can wait a while. That being said the center channel is important for movies.

post #5 of 7 Old 11-02-2013, 02:17 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for the replies.

If I could bother those who think these choices are not right ( and I am not debating ) please point me in the direction I need?
post #6 of 7 Old 11-02-2013, 04:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 558

Well for the subwoofer I might consider looking at SVS or HSU. Perhaps the PB1000 by SVS for $499. now I know that is $400 more than you are currently planning to spend but there are a few things to consider. First is that if your room is currently 24x12 with I assume 8 ft ceilings then the room is over 2000 cu ft which is a decent size to pressurize. So you will want something with power, not to shake the walls but just to give good bass. 

Second is that you will be moving to something twice that size in two years which will be a large room to pressurize. When you go to this larger room you can add a 2nd matching PB 1000 (or maybe more) to handle the increased size of the room. I am thinking more towards the future than just right now. 

Perhaps some other people will have some cheaper alternatives that will work as good or better but that is what came to mind. 

ovhlmec likes this.
post #7 of 7 Old 11-10-2013, 09:40 PM

I've been going through a similar process; updating and upgrading after years of neglect, and from what I've read and my own experience your choices are strong and I think you'll be happy. I do agree with hopinator that if you stretch a bit on the sub you can get a great return on your investment. I have the PSW10 in my garage and it's great within it's limitations but you can get much more satisfying sound if you can come up with $400 or $500 for your sub.

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Yamaha Htr 5750sl 6 1 Channel Digital Home Theater Receiver Silver , Svs Pb1000 10 Inch 300 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Pioneer Vsx 822 K 400w 5 Channel A V Receiver Network Ready Pandora Ipod Iphone Black , Polk Audio Monitor 60 Am6025 A 2 Way Floorstanding Speaker Single Black , Polk Audio Psw10 10 Inch Monitor Series Powered Subwoofer Single Black
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page