Marantz 5008 + HD Fury 3 + Pionner SD 643HD5 = Flickering Screen - Please Help - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 11-04-2013, 10:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

.First off, this is my first post. I've read many contributions over the years and appreciate all the tips I have received from past contributors. Now the problem...

I have a Pioneer SD-643HD5 that I use for watching movies. It has been professionally calibrated and lenses cleaned about three years ago. At the same time I purchased the oppo bdp-83. Since my old receiver didn't have any hdmi connections, I ran the oppo directly into the tv using an hdmi to rgb converter (hd fury 3) and then sound directly into the receiver using the optical port. Recently, when I put a movie in (I only use this set for movies), a loud hissing noise was emitted from the speakers. The movie would play on the tv, I could access the DVD menu, but the hiss wouldn't stop. I don't believe I ever tried playing a cd although I would have used the oppo for that as well. Anyway, I decided it was a receiver problem and decided to buy a new one. Yesterday I found a stellar deal on a Marantz 5008 and decided to switch out the receivers.

In order to set up and access the receiver's GUI I connected the hdmi cable from the receiver's hdmi monitor out port directly to the hd fury 3. I was able to begin the initial set up and begin calibrating the 5.1 speakers. After a few minutes of a perfect screen on the tv it began to flicker and eventually shut off. After trying several more times, the screen just flickers and rolls around rapidly. I have read enough in the last 12 hours to know it could be a problem with the board but I think it is unlikely just because the only thing changed was the receiver.

Could there be a problem with the receiver sending 1080p to a tv that only accepts 1080i? Is there a different configuration I should use now that I have hdmi in the receiver? Is there some up scaling conflict between the hd fury3 and the receiver? Is this a hdmi 1.4/1.3 conflict? Any help, suggestions, or trouble shooting tips would be helpful.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 11-04-2013, 06:39 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 725 Post(s)
Liked: 1404
Try setting the source to either 1080i or set the resolution of the 5008 to 1080i.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #3 of 5 Old 11-06-2013, 06:51 AM

Hi there,

HDfury devices are 1080p (and above) capable, if you connect them to a HDMI source, the HDMI sources will auto set themselves to the max supported resolution by the display (remember HDfury is acting like a display for your hdmi sources)
so they will autoset to 1080p which is above what your real hardware display can resolve.

As mentioned by others, the solution is to lower the source output resolution to 1080i, since your display is 1080i. You can do this from your sources menu directly ... OR:

Another option to do that with HDfury3 is to open the dip switch cover and set dip 7&8 to OFF, HDfury3 have 4 EDID banks integrated, so you can limit the max resolution read by your source to be 1080i simply by moving those dip switchs.

All of this is well covered in the HDF3 usermanual. on hdfury website and you should have a backside sticker telling you the same thing as well.

Hope it helps.
post #4 of 5 Old 11-06-2013, 02:03 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for responding.  Turns out the hissing was due to a bad optical port in the Oppo.  I switched the new receiver for the old one and everything works fine again.  Although the Marantz was a good deal, I am going to return since the video processing is handled by the Oppo.  Saved $600....but thanks for giving me the tip.

post #5 of 5 Old 11-06-2013, 02:04 PM - Thread Starter

I had checked that out before.  As mentioned in my response to another person, I figured out the real problem and am just reverting back to the old receiver.  Thanks for your input.

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Marantz Sr5008
Gear in this thread - Sr5008 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page