Help on Subwoofer - Receiver Setting - Polk Tsi400 | Polk PSW10 | Polk CS10 | Pioneer 1021-K - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 11-07-2013, 05:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Dear AVS pioneers,

I am new to this AVS world and love to be part of it.

My Home Theater System goes like this..

Initially I had Engergy Micro 5.1 setup with Polk PSW10 subwoofer with Pioneer 1021-K. When I had that setup my subwoofer was working fine. Recently I upgraded Front speakers and center channel and now my Subwoofer is NOT working anymore.

My Home Theater Setup:

Receiver : Pioneer 1021-K

Floor Standing Speakers (Left and Right) - Polk Tsi400

Center Channel : Polk CS10

Subwoofer : Polk PSW10

Surround Speakers : Energy Micro Speakers

TV - Samsung D6050/D6000 - 55" LED

When I did little research on Frequency Range, I got this info below. So how do I overcome my issue to work with Subwoofer.

Speakers - Polk Tsi400

• Frequency response: 34-25KHz

Subwoofer - Polk PSW100

Frequency Response Curve    35 Hz - 200 Hz

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Sriks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 11-07-2013, 05:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 472
If, by "NOT working", you mean your sub isn't producing sound, make sure:
- that it's turned on and properly connected to your AVR with a good cable;
- that in your AVR's speaker set-up menu all your speakers are set to "small" and your subwoofer is set to "yes" (or whatever the equivalent setting is for your Pioneer).

(For good measure, also max out the "crossover" on the back of the sub itself.)

If, by "NOT working", you mean you're no longer happy with your sub's performance, upgrade your sub.
post #3 of 10 Old 11-07-2013, 10:49 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you very much for your reply Eljay!!!

When I say NOT working means -- From Subwoofer I am not getting any output as that frequency is covered by my floor standing speakers.

I will try to set Speaker settings to SMALL and see. When I auto caliber with mic, speakers and subwoofer is automatically detected and all 5.1 system worked properly.

I need to look into Pioneer manual, how to set my speakers set to SMALL now. 

Question: In general, whoever buys floor standing speakers, will they set to small in order subwoofer to get output?

post #4 of 10 Old 11-07-2013, 10:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 472
It is generally recommended that you set all your speakers to "small" and let the subwoofer handle all of the lower-frequency content (from the speaker channels and from the LFE channel).

If you have small satellites, you may have to set your speaker-channel crossovers fairly high (say, anywhere between 120-160Hz). With most bookshelf speakers (which will have extension below 80Hz) and with floor-standing speakers, you can safely default to 80Hz.

With a more capable sub, you'll get:
- more overall output;
- much better extension (down to or below 20Hz @ -3dB); and
- "tighter" / more accurate bass.

-- Edit --
I've had the opportunity to play with a PSW10. It's a nice, entry-level sub, but it is pretty modest in terms of both in power and performance. You might want to consider upgrading it.

If/when you can manage $500 for an upgrade, you'll be very pleasantly surprised by the performance of an SVS PB-1000 ($499, delivered - with free return shipping within 45 days).
post #5 of 10 Old 11-09-2013, 05:19 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the detailed reply.

I changed Floor Standing speakers to SMALL and still I could not able to get any output from my Subwoofer. I verified the subwoofer when I test from Receiver to make sure my subwoofer is working.

Is there any other setting that I should look after? Please suggest me.

Tx

Sriks

post #6 of 10 Old 11-09-2013, 06:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 502

Upgrading your front three speakers should not in any way make your sub stop working. 

Quote:

I changed Floor Standing speakers to SMALL and still I could not able to get any output from my Subwoofer. I verified the subwoofer when I test from Receiver to make sure my subwoofer is working.

That's interesting. How did you test to make sure the sub is still working?

What did you set the crossover at for the front speakers? I would set the fronts at 80hz. Follow canucks advice regarding the surrounds by crossing them around 160 hz since they are micros and their freq response seems to 150 to 23,000 hz.

post #7 of 10 Old 11-12-2013, 01:30 PM - Thread Starter

Hopinater, Thanks for your response.

Coming to your Question - How to test my Subwoofer working?  - I tested by using Mic that comes with Receiver for Auto Calibration purpose. When I test all speakers one by one, Subwoofer is getting an output and it passed all the tests.

Only when I watch TV/movies/music with 5.1 output or 2.1 output mode, I could not able to get any sound from my Subwoofer.

Based on previous suggestion, I make my Front speakers as SMALL and set cross over to 80hz

I also connected my old Energy Micro front speakers as FHL/FHR(Front Height Left/Right).So my intention is my system suppose to act as 7.1 System.

Again, My question would be - By any change my floor standing speakers Frequency is overriding my sub-woofer frequency range?

Subwoofer - Polk PSW100

Frequency Response Curve    35 Hz - 200 Hz

Floor Standing Speakers - Polk Tsi400

Frequency response: 34-25KHz

post #8 of 10 Old 11-12-2013, 07:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 502

Have you maxed out the crossover on the back of the sub so the receiver is controlling the point of crossover for your system?

Also, try setting up your system the way you had it before and see if the sub starts working again. If it does then I have no idea what's going on because running towers should not make a sub stop working. If it doesn't then perhaps your AVR is messed up and is no longer sending the signal to the sub when running in 5.1 and 2.1 mode.

To be honest I'm just taking a stab at this. It's very odd to me that would happen unless something is not right with your AVR.

post #9 of 10 Old 11-13-2013, 03:58 AM

U need to go into the speaker settings and change the sub from yes to plus. Than it will always be on.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk 4
post #10 of 10 Old 11-22-2013, 10:38 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks to ALL for your time and reply to this thread.

I have got this reply from Polk support and finally I could able to hear something on my Sub. I bought Y-slipt cable to connect with both L and R input to Sub and turn Lowpass to Maximum

PSW10:
NOTE:
The PSW10 subwoofer does not have an LFE input. Instead, use either the
L or R Line input (another hookup option is to use a Y-split cable and connect both
L and R Line inputs). After you make this Sub Out connection, turn the "Low Pass"
filter fully clockwise. This will in effect create an LFE input.

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Pioneer Vsx 1021 K 7 1 Home Theater Receiver , Polk Audio Cs10 Center Channel Speaker Single Black , Polk Audio Psw10 10 Inch Monitor Series Powered Subwoofer Single Black , Polk Audio Tsi400 Floorstanding Speaker Single Black
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page