Simultaneous output to 2 TVs ? Receiver? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 11-07-2013, 08:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sorry about double post, posted the same question on building home theater forum, but figured later this may be a better place. So I am trying to output the same video to 2 tvs. Is there a receiver that will allow this or do I need to use a switch like this one?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 11-07-2013, 10:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 351
your link just takes you back to this thread.

a 2 HDMI output switch will be much cheaper than buying a new receiver.

Afro GT
post #3 of 9 Old 11-08-2013, 09:08 AM - Thread Starter

I do not have a receiver right now, so I am looking for a receiver that would be capable of doing this, sorry for not making it clear.
post #4 of 9 Old 11-08-2013, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by kostia View Post

I do not have a receiver right now, so I am looking for a receiver that would be capable of doing this, sorry for not making it clear.

As long as both TVs have HDMI input you just need a HDMI SPLITTER (NOT a switch!) like this http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=101&cp_id=10113&cs_id=1011306&p_id=8204&seq=1&format=2

Yer welcome!wink.gif

Ed
post #5 of 9 Old 11-08-2013, 10:23 AM - Thread Starter

Yes, I am aware of the splitter, that is what I meant, but this was not highly recommended solution. From what I can tell
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_580TXN818/Onkyo-TX-NR818.html would work for 2 TVs solution hoping someone can confirm how well this works.
post #6 of 9 Old 11-09-2013, 01:23 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked: 1315
Dual HDMI monitor output AVRs have been out for several years now to include those that offer a Zone 2 (HDMI) output as well that can pass an independent HDMI source to the 2nd TV rather than the same source as is the case with the 818 you linked to in your post. Also note that a dual HDMI monitor output AVR would have the same limitation as an external HDMI switch in that when passing video to both TVs at the same time, the video would be limited to the video resolution common to both (eg. if one is 720p and the other is 1080p, the video would be limited to 720p to both TVs). In the D&M line you have the Denon X3000 and Marantz 6008 both of which have a main zone monitor output in addition to a Zone 2 (HDMI) output and the Denon X4000 and Marantz SR7008 both of which have (2) main zone monitor outputs as well as a Zone 2 (HDMI) monitor output. The difference being that analog sources can be upconverted to the main zone monitor outputs while only HDMI sources can pass through to the Zone 2 (HDMI) monitor output, however, an independent HDMI source can be playing to the Zone 2 (HDMI) monitor output (eg. bedroom TV) while another source is playing to the main zone monitor output.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun, leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #7 of 9 Old 12-18-2013, 11:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

Also note that a dual HDMI monitor output AVR would have the same limitation as an external HDMI switch in that when passing video to both TVs at the same time, the video would be limited to the video resolution common to both (eg. if one is 720p and the other is 1080p, the video would be limited to 720p to both TVs).

Scenario: Your AV receiver has dual HDMI outputs (single source only) and is capable of passing a 4K signal thru to a 4K TV.  You have HDMI Out A going to a 4K TV and HDMI Out B going to a 1080P TV.  Is it safe to assume that the above applies, meaning that both TV's will only get 1080P if you have both turned on, even if the source material is native 4K?

1a) If so then it would seem that you are forced to upgrade both TV's to 4K if you intend to provide the same source material to both of them simultaneously and want to be able to actually get native 4K out of the 4K TV(s).

1b) I assume that the 4K set could still upscale the picture back to 4K, but it wouldn't be quite the same as if you had actually been able to get the original 4K content to it.

Is there another way to get around this?  For instance, is there a device that can be connected to HDMI Output B (between the receiver and the 1080P TV) that can receive the 4K signal (allowing you to pass native 4K to the 4K set on HDMI Output A) and then downscale it to 1080P for the 1080P TV?

post #8 of 9 Old 12-18-2013, 11:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 157

Related question, but regarding audio...

From what I have read the same principle applies to audio.  If you have two HDMI outputs coming from the same source and one is feeding into a 7.1 channel receiver and the other is feeding into a 5.1 channel receiver (in another room), won't that limit both receivers to receiving 5.1 channel audio?  Or does this limitation only apply to certain brands/models?  Again, is there a workaround?

post #9 of 9 Old 12-18-2013, 04:36 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked: 1315
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyoAJB View Post

Scenario: Your AV receiver has dual HDMI outputs (single source only) and is capable of passing a 4K signal thru to a 4K TV.  You have HDMI Out A going to a 4K TV and HDMI Out B going to a 1080P TV.  Is it safe to assume that the above applies, meaning that both TV's will only get 1080P if you have both turned on, even if the source material is native 4K?

1a) If so then it would seem that you are forced to upgrade both TV's to 4K if you intend to provide the same source material to both of them simultaneously and want to be able to actually get native 4K out of the 4K TV(s).

1b) I assume that the 4K set could still upscale the picture back to 4K, but it wouldn't be quite the same as if you had actually been able to get the original 4K content to it.

Is there another way to get around this?  For instance, is there a device that can be connected to HDMI Output B (between the receiver and the 1080P TV) that can receive the 4K signal (allowing you to pass native 4K to the 4K set on HDMI Output A) and then downscale it to 1080P for the 1080P TV?

Your assumption is correct. There are however, more expensive HDMI switches on the market today that can split the single in the case of 3D and 2D video so likely to be the case as well with 4K video too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyoAJB View Post

Related question, but regarding audio...

From what I have read the same principle applies to audio.  If you have two HDMI outputs coming from the same source and one is feeding into a 7.1 channel receiver and the other is feeding into a 5.1 channel receiver (in another room), won't that limit both receivers to receiving 5.1 channel audio?  Or does this limitation only apply to certain brands/models?  Again, is there a workaround?

Correct again. Applies to audio just as it does to video.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun, leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Nr818 , Denon Avr X3000 7 2 Channel Home Theater Receiver , Marantz Sr6008 , Denon Avr X4000 7 2 Channel Home Theater Receiver , Marantz Sr7008
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page