Zone 2 on the Pioneer Elite VSX-43 is pretty much useless - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 11-08-2013, 12:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just bought this receiver and after lots of frustration getting it to work I've learned that Zone 2 will only play analog inputs (one available) and the tuner. OK, I'm not sure who still uses the tuner on their receiver but I certainly do not. So that is a useless "feature". And the receiver will allow me to route my DVD/CD player through the analog input and play that in Zone 2. And CDs are not so widely used these days either. I know I don't use them anymore. I play music via streaming services on my phone and send it to Air Play. Or plug the mobile device directly into the front of the receiver via USB. But neither of these sources will play in Zone 2. This pretty much makes Zone 2 useless.

My question is - is this normal? Perhaps I'm just not up to speed regarding this lack of functionality in receivers? And if it is not normal, what other brands / receivers will play a more varied type of inputs?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 11-08-2013, 02:48 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked: 1894
Yes, it's quite normal as the vast majority of AVRs on the market today (95%+) cannot play other than analog audio to Zone 2. A few of the current year's models are able to pass HDMI and digital audio as well ton Zone 2 to include the Denon AVR-X3000 and X4000 and Marantz SR6008 and SR7008. Also, all Denon and Marantz models with Zone 2 capability are able to play the same HDMI source to Zone 2 using the "All Zone Stereo" feature.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; Call me --> 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor and dealer for AVRs and Speakers 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST
Call for info on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #3 of 4 Old 11-09-2013, 06:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
thanks jd. Obviously I'm not too tuned in on this stuff. Seemed to me that paying more for Zone 2 in my receiver meant I could listen to any source on Zone 2. We went to the freakin moon 40 years ago and we can't listed to digital audio in Zone 2 in 2013? eek.gifbiggrin.gif
post #4 of 4 Old 11-10-2013, 07:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked: 353
the more expensive Pioneer & Denon models have a separate & independent HDMI zone capability. you just have to pay more to get it. it's called marketing wink.gif

Steve
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Pioneer Elite Vsx 43

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page