Adding Emotiva UPA-200 amplifier for my basement HT : Worthwhile upgrade? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 11-08-2013, 11:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I have HK AVR254 driving two Infinity Primus 363 speaker (8 ohm) in two channel mode. without the subwoofer (which then I need to borrow from my upstairs family room), it doesn't sound impressive and feels lifeless or may be I got bored with the sound without the sub. So it looks like I definitely need a sub to get some punchy sound. The receiver already has pre-outs, because I listened to all AVSForum advise to get a receiver with pre-out for future upgrade. I am now thinking of adding Emotiva UPA-200 to the mix and run without the subwoofer. Is it going to make a lot of difference without the sub or with the sub? Any other alternative to Emotiva? I saw few no-name amplifier in best buy website for cheaper price, but not sure whether they have it connected their demo room.. planning to visit this weekend.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 11-08-2013, 01:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 748 Post(s)
Liked: 1162
Quote:
Originally Posted by kousikb View Post

I have HK AVR254 driving two Infinity Primus 363 speaker (8 ohm) in two channel mode. without the subwoofer (which then I need to borrow from my upstairs family room), it doesn't sound impressive and feels lifeless or may be I got bored with the sound without the sub. So it looks like I definitely need a sub to get some punchy sound. The receiver already has pre-outs, because I listened to all AVSForum advise to get a receiver with pre-out for future upgrade. I am now thinking of adding Emotiva UPA-200 to the mix and run without the subwoofer. Is it going to make a lot of difference without the sub or with the sub? Any other alternative to Emotiva? I saw few no-name amplifier in best buy website for cheaper price, but not sure whether they have it connected their demo room.. planning to visit this weekend.

The sub will give you superior bang for the buck as compared to a bigger amp. It will also reduce the power drain on your AVR for equal loudness.

I read the spec sheet to say that the Emotiva UPA 200 is only 125 wpc @ 8 ohms so it is a highly marginal upgrade at most. 125 watts is only about 4 db more than 50 wpc. Change the volume on your AVR by 8 clicks and tell me how much you want to pay for a difference that small, and it only applies if you are actually running out of power right now,
kousikb likes this.
post #3 of 9 Old 11-08-2013, 01:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post

The sub will give you superior bang for the buck as compared to a bigger amp. It will also reduce the power drain on your AVR for equal loudness.

I read the spec sheet to say that the Emotiva UPA 200 is only 125 wpc @ 8 ohms so it is a highly marginal upgrade at most. 125 watts is only about 4 db more than 50 wpc. Change the volume on your AVR by 8 clicks and tell me how much you want to pay for a difference that small, and it only applies if you are actually running out of power right now,

You speak as if 4 db is nothing. Yet in a DBT amps have to be within 0.5. Sounds to me that the 4 db would be a significant improvement since louder is usually chosen to be better..
kousikb likes this.
post #4 of 9 Old 11-08-2013, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 515
Quote:
I have HK AVR254 driving two Infinity Primus 363 speaker ... without the subwoofer ... it doesn't sound impressive and feels lifeless ... So it looks like I definitely need a sub to get some punchy sound. ... I am now thinking of adding Emotiva UPA-200 to the mix and run without the subwoofer. Is it going to make a lot of difference without the sub or with the sub? ...
If your sound is lifeless and lacking punch without a sub, you need to add a sub.

The UPA-200 would be a good idea, IMO, if you plan on driving five or more speakers to very loud volumes. (Use the amp to drive your mains and let the AVR handle the rest of your speakers.)
kousikb likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 9 Old 11-08-2013, 04:14 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 51
I recently purchased an XPA-5 and was hoping for increased sound quality, but it just isn't enough to justify the cost in my opinion. I'm going to hang on to it until New Year's and make a decision from there, but at this point I would say that I am disappointed for the amount of money it cost me.

If you are trying to achieve volume levels that your AVR cannot handle well (clipping etc) and/or your speakers are difficult to drive, then the Emotiva may be right for you.

I read reviews from owners of the same speakers that I have saying that a separate amplifier helped out greatly. That added to all the Emotiva praise sparked my interest, but my ears do not hear $750 worth of difference.
kousikb likes this.
post #6 of 9 Old 11-08-2013, 05:00 PM

Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUDCAT45 View Post

You speak as if 4 db is nothing. Yet in a DBT amps have to be within 0.5. Sounds to me that the 4 db would be a significant improvement since louder is usually chosen to be better..

4dB is indeed nothing if you never turn it up loud enough to need that extra power. The OP didn't complain about clipping or distortion, he complained about a dull sound. So, likely, he either needs to add a sub or play around with speaker positions to see if he can get a sound that he likes more (or, maybe even just fiddle with the AVR settings). An amp upgrade is unlikely to improve his situation at all.

(Sorry to rain on your parade if you were planning on getting into a protracted debate with arnyk about DBT, amps sounding different, etc.)
post #7 of 9 Old 11-08-2013, 06:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmsdms View Post

4dB is indeed nothing if you never turn it up loud enough to need that extra power. The OP didn't complain about clipping or distortion, he complained about a dull sound. So, likely, he either needs to add a sub or play around with speaker positions to see if he can get a sound that he likes more (or, maybe even just fiddle with the AVR settings). An amp upgrade is unlikely to improve his situation at all.

(Sorry to rain on your parade if you were planning on getting into a protracted debate with arnyk about DBT, amps sounding different, etc.)

OP said his system sounded lifeless. That could be a lack of things listed by you. It could also be a lack of volume. I know my F32's are not lively until they are cranked up.
I have an umbrella so rain is no problem. BTW, no where did I mention amps sounding different. I simply mentioned a double standard. Go have a drink with arny.
post #8 of 9 Old 11-08-2013, 08:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 101
You either need to reposition the speakers for better bass response or you are an official bass head. The P363 plays down to 38hz +or- 3db. Should be fine for music. The speakers are also 93db efficient and 8ohm loads - not a difficult load - probably won't hear a difference by adding the UPA-200 amp IMO.

When all else fails - RTFM!

♫♫♫ Two Channel Rules! ♫♫♫

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
post #9 of 9 Old 11-09-2013, 07:21 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 12
By lifeless.. I mean its probably not loud enough for me during parties.. (had to turn the volume to -8db to get that ear splitting but still oomph ). ordinary listening I am fine at -21db in the AVR. I guess I first need to add the subwoofer and if its not enogh.. then I'd look for amplifier. The other thing I realized that I like to hear more of a klipsch like brighter sound. The infinity is not bright enough (or clean/crisp enough for me). Thanks guys for all your suggestions.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Emotiva Upa 200 2 Channel Amplifier , Emotiva Xpa 5 5 Channel Power Amplifier

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page