Help with processor choice, budget: USD1k-2k, balanced XLR output, 220V - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 11-09-2013, 12:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Folks,

After spending considerable time researching sound-cards with balanced outputs to use on my HTPC - I've now realized it'd be easier to setup and more WAF friendly to get a processor instead.

My mains (L/C/R)- Neumann KH310 (Active 3 way, balanced XLR inputs).
Not yet decided on the surrounds - will add them later...

Background: I'm based in India - no used market. 220V-50Hz power.

My requirements/constraints:
1. Balanced XLR output and Sound Quality are the top-most priority.
2. These will be sitting in an apartment living-room and in a couple of years move to a dedicated HT room.
3. Room correction features a nice to have - but I do have access to pro-audio people who can help me setup/calibrate
4. Dolby Volume or Audyssey Volume correction and Sub-EQ will be quite nice to have - as it will be used in an untreated, reflective apartment.
5. Blue-tooth, WIFI and DLNA

The following seem to have most of the features I'd like within my price range:

1. Integra DHC60.5 - US$2000 - Excluding shipping to India, customs duty
2. Marantz AV7701 - US$1700 - Excluding shipping, customs duty
3. Sherbourn (Emotiva) PT-7030 - US$1110, including shipping to India, but excluding customs duty

I've also considered the following but dropped due to price, lack of features or other considerations:
Marantz AV7005
Denon DN-500AV
Yamaha CX-A5000
Onkyo PR-SC5508, 5509

Are there any other processors in this price range with balanced XLR output that I should consider?

Of the 3 (DHC60.5 vs AV7701 vs PT-7030) - the Integra seems to offer the most features, the Marantz best sound quality and the Sherbourn - best value...

The Sherbourn performance and THD figures are not available readily (even after several requests to Emotiva) - this makes me somewhat hesitant... although US$900 is an unbeatable price - I don't want to be unhappy with the Sound quality (considering I've already spent around US$7k for just the LCR)

Could the experts and regulars of this forum help me pick a processor - from the above choices or point me to other options I should consider?

Thanks in advance for any and all responses.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 11-09-2013, 12:56 AM

Liked: 30
In the room you've described, the biggest benefit to sound quality is likely to be the level of room correction you get. That said, the Integra has MultiEQ XT32 so, is probably your best bet. However, if you don't *need* XLR outputs (and, there is a good chance that you don't), you can get XT32 on a much cheaper AVR. The Denon X4000 is a monster of a product and much, much cheaper than the Integra. It's also arguably much higher quality which is something to consider if you are located somewhere where repairs/warranty issues might be a gigantic hassle.
post #3 of 3 Old 11-09-2013, 12:24 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 16
@dmsdms - I agree - Room-EQ is going to be very important... and that is why Sherbourn is 3rd on my list.. although it has full parametric eq - we need some solid pros to really set it up right...

and yes the balanced inputs are a must - and that was the whole point in getting Active studio monitors...and the KH-310s accept only balanced XLR inputs...

If I'd gone the Receiver - Passive speakers route... options would've been limitless.. and it wouldn't have taken as much research and expense as I've put in...
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Integra , Marantz Av7701 Audio Video Preamp Processor , Sherbourn Pt 7030 Home Theater Pre Pro , Denon Avr X4000 7 2 Channel Home Theater Receiver
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page