Denon AVR-X4000 problems... anyone else seeing issues? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 11-09-2013, 02:17 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I purchased a Denon AVR-X4000 and had major issues with shutdowns, green OSD displays, freezing and so on. This began the moment I took it out of the box. Needless to say I returned it and had them send a new unit. While this unit is much more reliable, it still shuts down or freezes on a fairly regular basis.

Crutchfield informs me that they have sold 200 of them with only 4 returns including mine. I find it hard to believe that many other folks are having these issues but I would like to be sure. They will definitely support me, so it is up to me to decide what I want to do.

Both Crutchfield and Denon have provided exemplar support, so in that regard I am extremely satisfied, and from a feature perspective the Denon unit is very nice, but it has to be reliable.

I am running a rather odd setup in that I originally used none of the amps in the AVR - I have a full set of external amps from Emotiva and did not plan on running any of the internal amps until I realized that the new set of speakers I am building could use 4 of my Emotiva 300 watt amps for the 4 12 inch drivers in my new subs. I can do this if I swap the 125 watt channels from the other Emotiva to the Denon, and I did so as I was wondering if for some reason the amps want to be connected to a load - although why this would be the case is a real mystery - or not. It still shut down, which really is not much of a surprise given the tenuous nature of this idea to begin with.

So I am asking if any other owners have experienced shutdowns and freezes. An example would be the other day when I went to adjust the volume and the whole unit completely rebooted. Another time it simply froze the OSD or leaves the Volume Display visible.

I would love to hear about this as I am likely to try a third unit and if that one fails I will switch to the only other unit that meets my needs (I require Sub EQ HT) which is the substantially more expensive Marantz (ironically the sister company to Denon) SR7008.

Please let me know if any of you have seen similar problems.

Thanks!

"But it's just a flesh wound!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 11-09-2013, 02:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Search the owners thread for that AVR and you'll probably find your answer.

When all else fails - RTFM!

♫♫♫ Two Channel Rules! ♫♫♫

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
post #3 of 17 Old 11-10-2013, 07:42 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I did. Nothing.

post #4 of 17 Old 11-10-2013, 09:08 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I am having random shutdowns with my x4000 it puts itself into protection mode i.e. turns off and has a blinking red light. I have checked every connection and am using banana plugs i know i don't have any stray wires and am almost certain its a defect in the receiver... glad to see someone else is also having problems and i am not crazy...

Thanks,
Brandon Linton
Mini Penn Cinema HT Build 1.0
post #5 of 17 Old 11-10-2013, 09:34 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 2286 Post(s)
Liked: 1831
In both cases, the best solution is likely replacement.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; Direct line 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #6 of 17 Old 11-10-2013, 09:54 AM

I am using only two of the internal amps on my X4000. I'm not having any problems under normal usage. I have managed to lock the unit up while moving the HDMI cables between ports during setup, and that only happened once.
post #7 of 17 Old 11-12-2013, 07:42 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

In both cases, the best solution is likely replacement.

Since I am on my second replacement and I found the Marantz I am planning to upgrade to the Marantz. I sort of got a break by paying in two chunks, so it seems to be the best solution.

I am sort of glad to see that someone else has much the same problem. It suggests there is a bad component in a recent production run. Most of these units seem to be doing very well, so it is probably just bad luck.

That said, the Marantz looks very nice and appears to be built to a higher quality standard both sonically and physically. I am hoping it works out well.

post #8 of 17 Old 05-16-2014, 09:07 AM

Mine is doing the same thing now. Going to have to unhook everything and bring it in to my local dealer where I purchased it. Thankfully the dealer is very supportive, I just hate taking things apart!
i know this is an old post, how did it all work out for you?
thanks
Steve
post #9 of 17 Old 05-16-2014, 09:27 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I had the same problem with the Marantz and long story short the rebooting/locking up was due to my leaving the Audyssey Installer Kit Serial Dongle connected to the unit. It should be removed once you are finished with the measurements. If you do not have this serial dongle connected and are experiencing lockups and freezing you may have a different issue.

post #10 of 17 Old 08-21-2014, 01:32 AM

Liked: 0
DENON AVR X4000 issues

Hi, I also have this problem with the Denon AVR X4000. Its a terrific bit of kit but the reliability issued dog it. I'm about to contact Denon today to see what I do about this unit and will post my reply here.

The unit often switches itself on during the night!! Its now switched itself off and has a red flashing light on the front panel. If I try and switch it on again it goes through the start up routine then stops and goes back to the red flashing light.

Watch this space for a reply.
post #11 of 17 Old 08-22-2014, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Casey View Post
Hi, I also have this problem with the Denon AVR X4000. Its a terrific bit of kit but the reliability issued dog it. I'm about to contact Denon today to see what I do about this unit and will post my reply here.

The unit often switches itself on during the night!! Its now switched itself off and has a red flashing light on the front panel. If I try and switch it on again it goes through the start up routine then stops and goes back to the red flashing light.

Watch this space for a reply.
Have you sorted out the problem with the X4000. Im thinking about buying one.. What do you suggest. Thanks!!
post #12 of 17 Old 08-22-2014, 02:44 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 18
when mine was kicking on the red light...flashing and shutting down I found a wire that was KIND OF loose on one of my surrounds. It was still playing fine. After it shutdown, i found that terminal kind of loose...tightened and no more red flashing light
post #13 of 17 Old 11-01-2014, 12:53 AM

Hi,

Received my amp back from Denon and took it home and connected everything up, 10 mins later the unit packed in again!!! red flashing light etc.....

Sent unit back again for another repair, two weeks later it arrived so took it home and hooked it up only to find that this time there's a pop type of noise from every speaker on the system when I switch on or change input i.e. blu ray to sky tv etc... or when I switch the unit on.

I'm really fed up with Denon so the units going back yet again this time I've asked for a replacement, probably a YAMAHA!

Great service from the firm I bought it from but Denons repair system is really poor.

Sorry Denon fab kit with great features but really poor quality components.
post #14 of 17 Old 11-01-2014, 01:27 AM

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Casey View Post
Hi,

Received my amp back from Denon and took it home and connected everything up, 10 mins later the unit packed in again!!! red flashing light etc.....

Sent unit back again for another repair, two weeks later it arrived so took it home and hooked it up only to find that this time there's a pop type of noise from every speaker on the system when I switch on or change input i.e. blu ray to sky tv etc... or when I switch the unit on.

I'm really fed up with Denon so the units going back yet again this time I've asked for a replacement, probably a YAMAHA!

Great service from the firm I bought it from but Denons repair system is really poor.

Sorry Denon fab kit with great features but really poor quality components.

I get the same loud popping noise through my speakers as well, and the shutdown issues. I've taken it in for repair once already but it's still not fixed. I've heard the Yamaha are more reliable but I guess there are no certainties with these things. I'm currently looking at the Yamaha 3040 as an upgrade. The only question is what to do with my 12 month old x4000, if I can get it fixed properly I'll try to sell it.
post #15 of 17 Old 12-24-2014, 10:36 AM

I'm having similar issues.
The unit just switches off for no reason.
I am using separate amps for the front speakers and it happens in stereo mode as well as all other surround modes.
It is very intermittent as it can sometimes go for hours without shutting down or shut down after a couple of minutes.
It does not matter what input I'm on. It just happens without rhyme or reason.

This just started happening about 1 week ago after 5 months without problems.
post #16 of 17 Old 12-24-2014, 10:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by balinton View Post
I am having random shutdowns with my x4000 it puts itself into protection mode i.e. turns off and has a blinking red light. I have checked every connection and am using banana plugs i know i don't have any stray wires and am almost certain its a defect in the receiver... glad to see someone else is also having problems and i am not crazy...
When I got my X4000 back in September, it kept shutting down.

I checked for stray wires, among other things, and found that the right rear surround speaker,
had a wire from the positive terminal, touching the negative terminal.
So after fixing that stray wire, my unit has not shut down again.

So far so good.

Benq W1080ST DLP 3D Projector
Sony BDP-S5200 3D Blu-ray Player
Denon X4000 Receiver
Pioneer SP-FS52 Tower Speaker x 4
Pioneer SP-C22 Center Channel Speaker
PSA XS15se Subwoofer x 2
post #17 of 17 Old Today, 02:09 PM

after initial setup, mine was a bit buggy, shutting down on certain HDMI ports randomly. It may have powered on itself, once, but I'm not sure. After resetting the microprocessor, everything was better but I'm now working through some issues that I am not sure are configuration-related or something else.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr X4000 7 2 Channel Home Theater Receiver , Marantz Sr7008
Gear in this thread - X4000 by PriceGrabber.com