Driving dual subwoofers with Sherbourn PA 7-350 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 11-10-2013, 11:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

I recently bought a multi-channel amplifier Sherbourn PA 7-350. It is a 7-channel amplifier and can produce 350 wpc @8 ohms and 550 wpc @4 ohms. More details in the manual: http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0172/4516/t/3/assets/sherbourn_7-350_owners_manual.pdf

I do not have space for rear surround channels. I am considering using the extra two channels to drive two passive subwoofers, i.e. a 5.2 configuration. The subwoofer drivers will be 10 - 12 inches, nothing huge. I guess this is similar to bi-amping the LR channels. I am planning on getting Emotiva XMC-1, which will supposedly support true stereo subs.

My question is whether this amplifier can drive the subwoofers. I am not too clear on the differences between a subwoofer amplifier and a regular one. This amplifier has the rated frequency response of 20 Hz - 20 KHz. Is this a sane idea? I would also appreciate any pointers on where to buy passive subwoofers.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2013, 11:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 113
I have no doubt you can drive a pair of passive subs with that amp. Most large subwoofer drivers are 4 ohm so the amp would supply plenty of power. I had an Emotiva UPA-7 for several years and drove two passive DIY 12" subs with the otherwise unused channels. It had 125/185wpc into 8/4ohms and drove them just fine. I used them mainly for music although they did well with movies as well. I've since added a plate amp to each sub. You'll need to have the subwoofer signal coming from an AVR or preamp processor's sub-out jack to take advantage of the electronic crossover - or have an external crossover control like a Behringer Feedback Destroyer or equivalent.

Passive subwoofers are sold at most audio parts places like Parts Express or Amazon.
alokpr likes this.

When all else fails - RTFM!

♫♫♫ Two Channel Rules! ♫♫♫

GO SEAHAWKS!!!

Tags
Emotiva Xmc 1