HAS ANYONE REPAIRED THEIR OWN ONKYO/INTEGRA HDMI BOARD???? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 31 Old 11-11-2013, 04:50 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have the Integra DTR 8.9 and my HDMI board failed at this time last year. Luckily, it was still under warranty and was fixed by a local authorized service center. Unfortunately, I lost audio and video from the board again last night. This morning I sent an email to ONKYO HELP but have not received a reply yet asking them to accommodate my situation in some way since it had to be fixed once before.

Anyways, I do have a friend who is a board level technician and can do repairs with no problem. Has anyone here repaired their own board?

And is it usually the same caps that go bad?

Finally, is heat the culprit here? My receiver is in a rack with an open front and back and gets adequate circulation but I'm wondering if adding a 120mm fan on top of the unit, blowing in, would prevent this from happening for a third time.

Thanks for all the help!

Doc

I'VE RECENTLY COME TO THE REALIZATION THAT THERE IS ONLY ONE CLIFFY AND THEREFORE I AM HAPPY WITH JUST ONE G90! and an RS1 shhhhhhhhhh!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 11-12-2013, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 41
There is a whole thread on repairing HDMI boards on Onkyos. The problem is that Onkyo uses 85 degree caps which dry out from the intense heat of the video processor. Most people now use caps rated at 105 degrees. You might want to add heat sinks on the problematic chips, the ones designed for X-Box 360s available from Amazon work great, they are self-adhesive and costs $5/pair.

Adding a fan will help but you should have it extracting air from the AVR, not blowing in. Blwoing in will cause a build-up of dust real fast which will result in thermal failure again....

If it's not a BIG screen, it's not a theater...
post #3 of 31 Old 11-12-2013, 11:30 AM

Liked: 21
Do you know if the HDMI Boards that they are installing as a repair have the 85 C or 105 C Capacitors. My TX-NR708 is being returned today and I am curious?
post #4 of 31 Old 11-12-2013, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member

from what I have heard, they are still using 85 degree caps....

post #5 of 31 Old 11-12-2013, 07:44 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I still have no reply from Onkyo but I almost think I have should have my buddy do the repair since he would self diagnose and use common sense to apply a higher temp rated cap like you suggested. Should I have him replace all of them or just certain ones? If only certain ones, can you tell me which ones?

Also, if they do send me a replacement board, would applying the heat sinks and a fan drawing air out eliminate failure in the future even though they are still using the 85 degree cap??

Thanks again for all your help guys! I really do love my Integra and would hate to have to get something else.

Doc

I'VE RECENTLY COME TO THE REALIZATION THAT THERE IS ONLY ONE CLIFFY AND THEREFORE I AM HAPPY WITH JUST ONE G90! and an RS1 shhhhhhhhhh!
post #6 of 31 Old 12-11-2013, 07:52 AM

Liked: 13
Yes. DHC-40.1 HDMI board was just upgraded/repalced.

I recently got mine back from my local dealer. All new and upgraded HDMI board. I'm not sure if its my imagination for being without it for a 10 days, but it not only functions better switching and activating but it almost seems to me as if the surround modes are more pronounced between each other and it has a different sonic signature . Sounds really nice. Can't quite put my finger on it but it does sound different. I'm very pleased I got it fixed. My dealer has repaired a number of Onkyo/Integra units that use this back HDMI board and he said none of them have come back since. Very pleased about the repair and the fact that it actually works better now than when it was brand new.
post #7 of 31 Old 12-11-2013, 10:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dochlywd View Post

I still have no reply from Onkyo but I almost think I have should have my buddy do the repair since he would self diagnose and use common sense to apply a higher temp rated cap like you suggested. Should I have him replace all of them or just certain ones? If only certain ones, can you tell me which ones?

Also, if they do send me a replacement board, would applying the heat sinks and a fan drawing air out eliminate failure in the future even though they are still using the 85 degree cap??

Thanks again for all your help guys! I really do love my Integra and would hate to have to get something else.

Doc

Using a fan will only delay the inevitable...

I repaired my TX-NR905 with no issues... You just have to be careful when you are doing it...

post #8 of 31 Old 12-11-2013, 03:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by dochlywd View Post

I have the Integra DTR 8.9 and my HDMI board failed at this time last year. Luckily, it was still under warranty and was fixed by a local authorized service center. Unfortunately, I lost audio and video from the board again last night. This morning I sent an email to ONKYO HELP but have not received a reply yet asking them to accommodate my situation in some way since it had to be fixed once before.

Anyways, I do have a friend who is a board level technician and can do repairs with no problem. Has anyone here repaired their own board?

And is it usually the same caps that go bad?

Finally, is heat the culprit here? My receiver is in a rack with an open front and back and gets adequate circulation but I'm wondering if adding a 120mm fan on top of the unit, blowing in, would prevent this from happening for a third time.

Thanks for all the help!

Doc

Front and rear clearances are not the crucial ones..
The L/R sides and top cover are...
Onkyo recommends @ least 4-5" of free-air clearance and nothing stacked on top.
Heat rises so one can see why the recommended clearances can be very critical..
The hot air needs to be exited..

The life of an electronic device is directly related to its operating temperature. For each 10°C (18°F) temperature rise reduces component life by 50%!!!
Conversely, each 10°C (18°F) temperature reduction increases component life by 100%!!!
Therefore, it is highly recommended that the home theater components be kept as cool as possible for maximum reliability, longevity.

Just my $0.05... 👍😉
old corps likes this.
post #9 of 31 Old 12-11-2013, 04:52 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

MC,

That's the thing, it is in a rack that is open in the rear and the front, sits on a shelf by itself, and has plenty of clearance top to bottom. This thing gets REALLY HOT over the HDMI ports where the hot air seems to collect and stay........and it happens in a VERY SHORT TIME. I pulled the board and sent it to Craig Rounds (CIR ENGINEERING on this forum). He called me immediately and said he couldn't believe they used the level of caps that they did. He replaced a lot of them on my board with higher temp rated and ultra low ESR caps. He repaired it, sent it back......I popped it in and PRESTO! I was back in action! I then did a little test of the temp-to-touch before the 120mm fan and then after I added it. Without the fan sitting on top of the unit directly over the the HDMI ports(blowing out) it got sizzling hot again extremely quick. And when I say hot, to touch it is shocking at how hot it is. Once I added the fan, it came down to feeling just a little warm as quickly as it got hot! Just moving a little bit of that stagnant hot air from there made an absolute night and day difference. I had two of the 120mm fans from the CoolerGuyus.com so I went ahead and dropped a second one on there for good measure. I am confident that with Craig's modifications to the board and the fans keeping it cool, I should be able to use this Integra for some time to come.

If anyone is thinking about getting their Onkyo/Integra repaired, I would PM CIR ENGINEERING (Craig Rounds) first and discuss the issues you are having. He can surely help.

Thanks!

Doc

post #10 of 31 Old 01-01-2014, 07:57 AM

What sort of cost was involved in the board repairs?
post #11 of 31 Old 01-01-2014, 08:22 AM

Im also curious about this.

I have an Onkyo TX-NR509 that decided to stop working. No audio on any input. I guess watching The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey was too much for it last night. The thing sites on top of an AV rack. Nothing blocking cooling. Its in my basement. It never gets warm down here either.
post #12 of 31 Old 01-01-2014, 09:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 98
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1246078/how-to-diy-tx-sr576-tx-sr606-etc-hdmi-daughterboard-repair-for-dummies/0_50

When all else fails - RTFM!

♫♫♫ Two Channel Rules! ♫♫♫

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
post #13 of 31 Old 01-01-2014, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
I think I may have the same hdmi board problems. No sound though video pass through in stand by and video while in works. Odd thing is if I leave it on for an hour or so them do my reset it starts to work. Almost like the excessive heat wakes it up. Likely going to send it in since I have 1 year left on warranty. Anyone know how long turnaround is?

Back to original thread though is the repair simply changing out the caps? I keep hearing about long turnarounds due to lack if parts at the repair facilities.
post #14 of 31 Old 01-06-2014, 10:05 AM

Hi, I own a Integra 40.3. HDMI allso died on me. Any idea which caps to replace?
Thanks in advance.
post #15 of 31 Old 01-10-2014, 03:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynsak View Post

Hi, I own a Integra 40.3. HDMI allso died on me. Any idea which caps to replace?
Thanks in advance.
Just an update. Replaced all the caps on my HDMI board. No fix ;(
post #16 of 31 Old 01-10-2014, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member

make sure you check the polarity on the caps and that you did not lift any of the traces on the board...

post #17 of 31 Old 01-10-2014, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon S View Post

make sure you check the polarity on the caps and that you did not lift any of the traces on the board...
Thanks, already checked. Everything is fine. Must be a faulty hdmi switch then?
post #18 of 31 Old 01-11-2014, 05:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Try remove and reseat the HDMI board, sometimes that helps

post #19 of 31 Old 01-12-2014, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon S View Post

Try remove and reseat the HDMI board, sometimes that helps
Will try later. Thanks.
post #20 of 31 Old 01-12-2014, 10:34 PM

Did any of your ethernet connctions go out as well? That was the first thing to go on mine, then no audio or usb, all within an hour or so. Ive got a picture but no audio and no network connectivity.

Chris
post #21 of 31 Old 01-13-2014, 08:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdepaola View Post

Did any of your ethernet connctions go out as well? That was the first thing to go on mine, then no audio or usb, all within an hour or so. Ive got a picture but no audio and no network connectivity.

Mine is doing this. I'm waiting before sending it in. I've found that for me I just leave it in for a couple hours then hit the rest buttons and it amazingly comes back. I'll so this until it stops working or when I get a replacement before I send it off for the who-knows-how long-it'll-take repairs.
post #22 of 31 Old 01-17-2014, 06:41 PM

Mine was approved for repair, thankfully, and is at the shop. Told three weeks

Chris
post #23 of 31 Old 04-25-2014, 07:39 AM

Liked: 13
I have a DTR 40.2 that in the last 2 weeks has gradually been getting worse taking longer for the sound to come on.
I contacted Integra and they said to send the unit back to them. Since it is still under warranty by a month I will take this route instead of trying to replace the caps myself. I can confirm my unit get very hot wayyy to quick. I am only using the pre-outs to run to my external amp so it should never get this hot.

Very dissapointed in Onkyo/ Integra's choice to use cheap componenets.
post #24 of 31 Old 04-26-2014, 12:51 PM

Does anyone know if they are still repairing these? I talked to my local dealer and he said they are calling all the .3 units the one and dones. I have an 80.3 and having the HDMI issues and the dealer told me that they aren't even being repaired that Onkyo is just replacing them. Then he told me they will probably give me a 60.5 instead of the 80.3. I'm not very happy about that but not sure what other options they will give me.
post #25 of 31 Old 05-01-2014, 02:18 PM

I have a 707, and it would come on, no sound, turn on, turn off, back on, and it would finally get sound.  Then it finally died.  Contacted the local repair place, and was told $$$ to repair it.  Went on-line at Sears of all places, and they looked up the HDMI board, and it cost $55.00 including shipping.

post #26 of 31 Old 05-02-2014, 06:57 AM

Liked: 11
The best fix for the Onkyo receivers is to stop buying Onkyo receivers. This issue is really old news and Onkyo has yet to update their design and fix their receivers properly and permanently. In fact, the tech support at Onkyo denies that it's a known issue and they're rude about it too. My board went on my 3007 about a month out of warranty and after finally getting them to replace it, the problem occurred again about 6 months later. I've since bought a Marantz 5008 and have said goodbye to Onkyo for life!
post #27 of 31 Old 05-02-2014, 02:34 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 18
That's exactly what happened to me.

Called Onkyo repair when mine died. They denied there was a problem with their AVR's , and were extremely rude about doing a repair( Mine was 2.5 years old).

Onkyo seems to be following in the foot steps of some other AVR manufacturers like JVC.

Alan

Cruzin

Martin Logan Speakers

Marantz Prepro

Aragon 4004, and Outlaw 7100 amps

Chase 18.1 Sub,and Velodyne DD15

LittleBear tube preamp

Pro-Ject debutte 3 turntable

post #28 of 31 Old 05-02-2014, 03:00 PM

Liked: 11

http://www.digikey.com/short/500vw

Will these do the job?

post #29 of 31 Old 05-02-2014, 03:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 29
OK I have a question. Why doesn't someone with the knowhow, like a lawyer who may be a member here, start a class action suit against Onkyo? I don't have problems with my 809 but it seems like complaining on a forum isn't getting the point across to Onkyo. If there is such a suit going on I would imagine it would be common knowledge here. So I am just wondering if this is something that can be done.
post #30 of 31 Old 05-02-2014, 04:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCARCIO View Post

OK I have a question. Why doesn't someone with the knowhow, like a lawyer who may be a member here, start a class action suit against Onkyo? I don't have problems with my 809 but it seems like complaining on a forum isn't getting the point across to Onkyo. If there is such a suit going on I would imagine it would be common knowledge here. So I am just wondering if this is something that can be done.

Doesn't look like anything came of it:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1270966/initiation-of-class-action-suit-against-onkyo-re-ht-r667-ht-6100

If you search, there are multiple posts about starting one or asking if one has been, but I don't see any follow through.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Nr708
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page