Vintage Marantz Integrated Amps - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 11-12-2013, 01:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi Guys, Im thinking of purchasing some new vintage equipment, haha. I'm interested in the Marantz 1060 and 1120. Any suggestions? I heard nothing but good reviews about the 1060, but 30 watts might just not be enough. The 1120 has 60 watts per channel. Also, would the extra 30 watts make a huge difference? For my speakers it'd only increase about 3dB. But the bass might suffer with just 30 watts. Ive used my speakers, Polk RTA-15TL towers, with my 50 watt Marantz HT receiver, and my dad's old 60 watt Kenwood, and the bass difference is huge. The HT Marantz just doesn't have as good bass control, and older receivers were built in with more bass in them, for the speakers of the time. So I'm just looking for some advice on one or the other, I love the look of the vintage Marantz stuff from the 70s. Im also thinking of going with a tube preamp that will allow me to crank up the bass a bit more before it goes into my current Marantz.

2-Channel

Apple iPad
Hitachi Turntable
Emotiva XDA-1
Heathkit AR-1219 Customized
Emotiva UPA-1s
Polk RTA-15TL Towers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 11-12-2013, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 126
The 1060 was an incredible amplifier, they sold over 500K pcs, was made in Japan even many were used as a preamp only driving a bigger power amplifier. The 1120 was made in the USA. Both are excellent products assuming they are in good condition and been taken care of..

Just my $0.05... 👍😉
Audiojab likes this.
post #3 of 7 Old 11-12-2013, 05:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Would you say one is any better than the other? Considering those 60 watts may come in handy with the 1120

2-Channel

Apple iPad
Hitachi Turntable
Emotiva XDA-1
Heathkit AR-1219 Customized
Emotiva UPA-1s
Polk RTA-15TL Towers
post #4 of 7 Old 11-12-2013, 08:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiojab View Post

Would you say one is any better than the other? Considering those 60 watts may come in handy with the 1120

The 1120 has more power and better phono preamp if you are using a turntable. But the 1060 does have a mid-range tone control which the 1120 doesn't..
All things being equal get the 1120, but mentioned previously be sure to check it out completely as it is 30 years old especially the volume & tone controls and switches..

Just my $0.05... 👍😉
post #5 of 7 Old 11-12-2013, 09:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Not to high jack the thread but this is related. M Code you seem to know your older Marantz amps. I have a Marantz PM500 stereo integrated amp. I have some rooms with mid level speakers and some with lower quality speakers. The amp works but it has issues. Is this particular amp worth repairing?

Patrick
post #6 of 7 Old 11-12-2013, 11:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Having that amp repaired will probably cost you more than its worth. The PM500 isn't considered one of those 'gotta have' Marantz models. It has about 50wpc (IIRC). In decent working order you might get $150 on ebay on a good day. The Marantz 1060 and 1120 integrated should fetch twice or more than a PM500 in excellent working condition.

I had one of my old integrated amps recapped last summer. That cost me $150 plus shipping both ways. Its a Technics SU-7700 integrated. I can probably get out of it what I have into it but the sentimental value is high since I've had it for a long time. And it has those cool VU meters. One of my kids will end up with it - some day. Just not yet! My next restore project is a 1947 Phico 47-1227 console radio that probably needs everything replaced to work right. I haven't plugged it in in about 30 years - I've had it since 1972 when my grandfather died - he bought it new. It has standard FM/AM and phono.

When all else fails - RTFM!

♫♫♫ Two Channel Rules! ♫♫♫

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
post #7 of 7 Old 11-13-2013, 12:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Collins View Post

Not to high jack the thread but this is related. M Code you seem to know your older Marantz amps. I have a Marantz PM500 stereo integrated amp. I have some rooms with mid level speakers and some with lower quality speakers. The amp works but it has issues. Is this particular amp worth repairing?

In most instances, the cost of repair exceeds the component's value.
So unless one is attached to it for some special reason, their restoration costs can go up rapidly..
Yes, we do know a little bit about Marantz, their nostalgia and history as we have quite an extensive collection of their gear..

Just my $0.05... 👍😉
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Marantz Pm5004 Integrated Amplifier Black
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page