Question about DB levels and channel volumes - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 11-13-2013, 05:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11

So I have a Denon AVR2805 in a 7.1 configuration. I'm running Infinity Reference 2000.6 for my mains, 2000.3's for surrounds, RS4's for my rear surrounds and a Video 1 for my center channel. I've got my left rear surround set to +1DB and my right rear surround set to +2DB and the rest of my speakers are -3.5DB, -2.5DB and 0DB the reason for this is I've read it's better to reduce than add gain. Is this true? Everything is level at 76DB across the board, I used to have it set it 84DB's across the board but that would require my rear surrounds to be at +7.5DB and +8.5DB isn't that not a good idea? I don't want to damage anything as I've thrown this entire setup together for under $350 and it's not cause I choose to. I don't have $2,000 to spend on brand new retail stuff but I've been very, very happy with my current setup but I want to know if I'm setting it up correctly or not. I've run the Denon autosetup with the Mic a few times and it always wants to add gain to all my channels, being a software engineer I understand any form of microprocessor is only as smart as the programming instructions it's original engineers gave it so I'm not sure if it would have the parameters to know that adding so much gain to my current speakers could damage them or if the Denon engineers took this into account. Anyways any input would help guys, I've been on here for a few months now and I can't tell you how helpful all of you have been, honestly I used to call or go to Best Buy when I first started this now I just post on here and within a few hours someone lends a hand!

Pioneer SC1522K|Mirage Omni 60 Center | Mirage Omni 260 Mains | Mirage Omni FX front heights|
Mirage Omni 60 Side Surrounds| Mirage Omni 60 Rear Surrounds| SVS SB1000
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 11-13-2013, 06:11 AM
FMW
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 693
It is adding gain in order to get your setup to a reference level. A few DB isn't going hurt anything. I recommend you let the calibration software do its thing.
post #3 of 3 Old 11-13-2013, 06:15 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11

Thanks FMW

Pioneer SC1522K|Mirage Omni 60 Center | Mirage Omni 260 Mains | Mirage Omni FX front heights|
Mirage Omni 60 Side Surrounds| Mirage Omni 60 Rear Surrounds| SVS SB1000
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 2805 A V Home Theater Receiver , Infinity 2000 3 3 Channel Speakers In Cherry Wood

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page