HDMI 1.4 and Audio Return - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 11-14-2013, 02:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I apologize in advance if this is not the proper forum. If it is not, I would appreciate it if a mod could move it. That being said...

I currently have an Onkyo TX-SR608 receiver. According to the specs it has HDMI 1.4 which capable of audio return. I was hoping someone could give me a bit more information on how audio return works and if the scenario I have in mind is going to work or not.

My cable box, XBMC PC and Bluray player are all connected to my Onkyo with HDMI out to my TV. I don't use the TV for audio at all. The soon to be released XBox One has an HDMI passthrough with IN and OUT being HDMI 1.4. My plan was to place the XBox One inline like this in order to take advantage of the XBox One "Snap" features on all my devices.

Components -> Receiver -> XBox One -> TV

Now my components should work as usual with the passthrough but in this scenario with the XBox One still output it's audio through my receiver even though come after the receiver (if that makes sense)? Again, I don't use the TV for audio at all which is why I'm curious how HDMI 1.4 audio return works.

I realize the XBox One comes out in a few weeks so I fully plan to test this but I'd appreciate any insight or discussion prior to November 22nd!

Thanks in advance

"my credenza allows me to conceal tech geekiness...while giving a euro cabinet furniture impression... " - jaybrubin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 11-14-2013, 05:59 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1796 Post(s)
Liked: 1704
HDMI (ARC) is designed to pass the audio from an HDMI(ARC) equipped TV back to the AVR via the HDMI cable that normally passes the video from sources (to include the xBox ONE) connected as "inputs" to the AVR on to the TV.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #3 of 4 Old 11-14-2013, 06:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
So in theory my scenario should work?

"my credenza allows me to conceal tech geekiness...while giving a euro cabinet furniture impression... " - jaybrubin
post #4 of 4 Old 11-14-2013, 06:13 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1796 Post(s)
Liked: 1704
If you don't want to pass the audio from the xBox back to the AVR, then yes, otherwise no.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Sr608 Receiver , Xbox One Console Day One Edition
Gear in this thread - Sr608 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page