Denon X4000, best bang for the buck in receivers? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 11-14-2013, 06:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
So I'm about to get a new receiver, and the Denon X4000 just stood out to me, as far as being a good unit, with good reviews, for a good price. Furthermore, I can't find any real complaints about it.

Is there anything cheaper than this unit out there, with equal or better quality and sound? I care mostly about sound quality, surround processing, and build quality.... over number of features
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2013, 07:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 133
The X4000 is a solid AVR and to date appears to be very reliable....
We don't install alot of Denon AVRs due to their internet availability and loose pricing stability.
My comments are:
1. Be sure to provide 4-5" of free-air clearance for the L/R sides and top cover as it does run hot, especially if driving 4 Ohm loudspeakers
2. IOS app is a little buggy, needs some updates

Just my $0.05.... 👍😉
Old 11-14-2013, 07:22 PM - Thread Starter

What would be better for the same price, anything?

Are there any preamps + amps out there at similar price?
Old 11-14-2013, 07:25 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1962 Post(s)
Liked: 1745
Great AVR to be sure ... doesn't run hot at all with 8-ohm speakers at reference volume and XT32 with Sub EQ HT (dual sub calibration) is the icing on the cake.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST (including weekends)
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
Old 11-15-2013, 12:53 AM

Liked: 27
Recently upgraded from an AVR-3313ci to the X4000. The XT32, Sub EQ, instaview, are great features. For the price it's beyond impressive.

I think it's a strange position for Denon though. I have an AVR-4520ci in another room, this guy closes the gap on the flagship, its a strange placement for Denon.

The Denon AVR-4520ci still has pretty cool additional features, 9 amps built in, better amps with more power and less distortion, 32 bit DACs versus 24 bit.

But, without doubt XT32 tamed a very complex open room layout that regular Audyssey XT was having a hard time with.
Old 11-15-2013, 12:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamiraa View Post

Recently upgraded from an AVR-3313ci to the X4000. The XT32, Sub EQ, instaview, are great features. For the price it's beyond impressive.

I think it's a strange position for Denon though. I have an AVR-4520ci in another room, this guy closes the gap on the flagship, its a strange placement for Denon.

The Denon AVR-4520ci still has pretty cool additional features, 9 amps built in, better amps with more power and less distortion, 32 bit DACs versus 24 bit.

But, without doubt XT32 tamed a very complex open room layout that regular Audyssey XT was having a hard time with.

I'm just thinking of what would happen down the road....

You mentioned that the amps in the X4000 aren't the best, which I can imagine. Later on, would the X4000 make a good pre-amp, with buying a better power-amp to amplifly my speakers? Or do you think I would be better off selling the X4000 later, and buying a dedicated preamp and amp?
Old 11-15-2013, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landmonster View Post

I'm just thinking of what would happen down the road....

You mentioned that the amps in the X4000 aren't the best, which I can imagine. Later on, would the X4000 make a good pre-amp, with buying a better power-amp to amplifly my speakers? Or do you think I would be better off selling the X4000 later, and buying a dedicated preamp and amp?

The X4000 amps are no slouch they sound great, but the AVR-4520ci has separate amp stages on individual cards, linked to a heat sink. It's just a nicer, isolated design that can produce way more power with less distortion.

The X4000 would make a GREAT pre-amp, only issue of course is it can only handle 9.2 not 11.2 like the AVR-4520ci (if that matters to you?)

As for your last question, it depends on you, your tastes, supporting equipment, and your internal trade off of cost versus benefit.

Personally, if someone said they were going to get a X4000 and do a budget amp right now (Such as a Emotiva XPA-5), the price would be VERY close to a AVR-4520ci.

I honestly don't know what my recommendation would be in that case, both have benefits and trade offs, it depends what your plans for the room is.

Personally after hearing the Marantz amps, I would love to get the AV8801 with balanced, and go all out with their 7 channel and 5 channel setup. I think that setup would be around $6k. Is it $4k better then a AVR-4520ci . . I don't know . . . each person has to answer that based on their own budget.

One last statement I can say though, since I own both of these setups. YOU CAN'T GO WRONG WITH EITHER.
Old 11-15-2013, 01:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamiraa View Post

The X4000 amps are no slouch they sound great, but the AVR-4520ci has separate amp stages on individual cards, linked to a heat sink. It's just a nicer, isolated design that can produce way more power with less distortion.

The X4000 would make a GREAT pre-amp, only issue of course is it can only handle 9.2 not 11.2 like the AVR-4520ci (if that matters to you?)

As for your last question, it depends on you, your tastes, supporting equipment, and your internal trade off of cost versus benefit.

Personally, if someone said they were going to get a X4000 and do a budget amp right now (Such as a Emotiva XPA-5), the price would be VERY close to a AVR-4520ci.

I honestly don't know what my recommendation would be in that case, both have benefits and trade offs, it depends what your plans for the room is.

Personally after hearing the Marantz amps, I would love to get the AV8801 with balanced, and go all out with their 7 channel and 5 channel setup. I think that setup would be around $6k. Is it $4k better then a AVR-4520ci . . I don't know . . . each person has to answer that based on their own budget.

One last statement I can say though, since I own both of these setups. YOU CAN'T GO WRONG WITH EITHER.

That's good to know. The X4000 appeals to me right now because I can get one for about $1k. Obviously, no decent amp/pre-amp combo will sell for $1k, and I doubt I will find a better receiver for $1k either.

If the pre-amp part of the X4000 is world-class (or at least as good as many high-end pre-amps), I may just decide to keep it later on for that, and use a better power amp (Emotiva or similar) to power all my speakers. Does that sound reasonable?
Old 11-15-2013, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landmonster View Post

That's good to know. The X4000 appeals to me right now because I can get one for about $1k. Obviously, no decent amp/pre-amp combo will sell for $1k, and I doubt I will find a better receiver for $1k either.

If the pre-amp part of the X4000 is world-class (or at least as good as many high-end pre-amps), I may just decide to keep it later on for that, and use a better power amp (Emotiva or similar) to power all my speakers. Does that sound reasonable?

Great budget idea with a solid upgrade path. I say go for it! smile.gif

EDIT: On a side note, the gf just came over, we started listening to music downstairs (Where my X4000 is now). Her first words out of her mouth, 'What did you change down here??? It sounds great"

The X4000 is a keeper, I love XT32. With that being said, the AVR-4520ci still sounds even better wink.gif
Old 12-02-2013, 12:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
You may also look into getting a new/used 4311...
Internals are probably at least a slight upgrade over the x4000.
4311 has a preamp mode that shuts off all internal amps, not sure the x4000 can do this...

StayThristyMyFriends
Old 12-02-2013, 01:23 PM

Liked: 10
Amazon has $400 promo credit on the X4000, expires today (Dec 2nd).

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CALM17C/ref=ox_ya_os_product
Old 02-04-2014, 11:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 44
This is even a better deal..
http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-TX-NR828-7-2-Channel-Wireless-Receiver/dp/B00CILJB0E/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1391539117&sr=8-2&keywords=onkyo+828

EDIT.. I just realized this version doesn't have XT32.. The 929 does. Its about the same price as the X4000.

Tags
Denon Avr X4000 7 2 Channel Home Theater Receiver , Denon Avr 3313ci Receiver , Denon Avr 4520ci Receiver , Emotiva Xpa 5 5 Channel Power Amplifier