Need help deciding on AVR, Denon or Onkyo? ~$450 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 11-14-2013, 07:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I previously had an Onkyo NR405. Bought it when it came out about 5 years ago. Didn't have any complaints, but needed to get rid of it due to relocation. So now I'm trying to find a new receiver, and I'd like some advice on which to get.

There aren't many features I "need". I don't use Apple Airplay. I'd like it to be "future proof" so having the ability to do 4k would be nice. Also the TV I plan on getting has 3D (Panasonic VIERA TC-P50ST60), so that's a necessity. I only really need 4 HDMI.

So far I've looked at the Onkyo TX-NR626, Onkyo TX-NR616, and the Denon AVR-X1000.

If anyone has other suggestions please share! I really wanna get the most bang for my buck with this.

Also, if anyone has suggestions for speakers, I'm building the system from the ground up, so for now I just can afford the front 2. I have a central already (Klipsh RC-52 II)

Thanks for the help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 11-14-2013, 07:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 503

Recently Onkyo has had some problems with HDMI failures but my understanding is that this issue may be getting better. I have read that the problem mostly occurred if the Onkyo was not given enough room to breath and when put in a confined space it could cause trouble. That said, Onkyo is a popular brand.

I do like Denon a lot as an option, but it would be helpful to know what your budget is for the AVR.

Finally, I would get the Klipsch speakers that would match the center you already have.

post #3 of 7 Old 11-14-2013, 07:41 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 747 Post(s)
Liked: 1412
The 616 features the lowest version of Audyssey 2EQ which cannot EQ a subwoofer, while the 626 features the next higher version MultEQ which can EQ the subwoofer and finally the X1000 features the even more advanced MultEQ XT, so for the best audio fidelity, your best choice would be the X1000.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #4 of 7 Old 11-14-2013, 08:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopinater View Post

I do like Denon a lot as an option, but it would be helpful to know what your budget is for the AVR.

$450, it's in the title, I should of put it in my post too cause I make that same mistake.

I've heard of the problems with the HDMI, and hopefully I won't find any issues, it will be in an open space.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

The 616 features the lowest version of Audyssey 2EQ which cannot EQ a subwoofer, while the 626 features the next higher version MultEQ which can EQ the subwoofer and finally the X1000 features the even more advanced MultEQ XT, so for the best audio fidelity, your best choice would be the X1000.

What exactly does the EQ do? Is it just an auto equalizer for a surround sound system? Isn't that something I can do manually? Or is it just an ease of use type feature?

The Denon doesn't support 4k though.
post #5 of 7 Old 11-15-2013, 01:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 503
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deltron75ARK View Post

$450, it's in the title, I should of put it in my post too cause I make that same mistake.

I've heard of the problems with the HDMI, and hopefully I won't find any issues, it will be in an open space.
What exactly does the EQ do? Is it just an auto equalizer for a surround sound system? Isn't that something I can do manually? Or is it just an ease of use type feature?

Oops, sorry missed the budget in the title. 

Unless I missed it the The Onkyo 616 does not do 4k either. The 626 does support it's up conversion however. Personally I'm still avoiding Onkyo until the HDMI issue is proven to be resolved.

As far as room EQ goes, it is far more than just setting distances and channel levels. Below is a link quickly describing how Audyssey Multi EQ works.

https://audyssey.zendesk.com/entries/73287-How-does-MultEQ-apply-room-correction-

In my opinion, having the best Audyssey is far more important than have 4k capability simply because there is very little 4k material and the little that there is very expensive. Plus there does not appear to be a very big push to put out very much 4k material in the near future. Meanwhile, you're stuck with sub par sound quality every day while you wait for 4k to go mainstream.

All that said, I would go with the Denon X1000.

post #6 of 7 Old 11-15-2013, 08:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopinater View Post

All that said, I would go with the Denon X1000.

Alright looks like I'll try the Denon X1000. It is much more visually appealing than the Onkyo, which is always a plus.
post #7 of 7 Old 11-16-2013, 05:32 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 747 Post(s)
Liked: 1412
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deltron75ARK View Post

1. Unless you have a professional EQ system you can use, it's highly unlikely you would be able to come close to the EQ capability of Audyssey.
2. Unless you plan on upgrading to a 4K BDP, 4K PJ, and at least a 90/100"+ PJ screen, the 4K feature of an AVR will not likely be of any use to you.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Panasonic Tc P50st60 50 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Denon Avr X1000 5 1 Channel Home Theater Receiver , Onkyo Tx Nr616 , Onkyo Tx Nr626 7 2 Channel Network Audio Video Receiver , Klipsch Rc 52 Ii Reference Series Center Channel Loudspeaker Black Each
Gear in this thread - Nr616 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page