AVR with powerful zone2 output - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 11-15-2013, 08:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just got Wharfedale Denton and connect it to Onkyo 876 zone2.

Sound is ok but if I crank volume up, it seem that there is not enough power to drive Denton. Speakers sound distort.

I'm willing to replaced with new AVR that has more muscle. What I need is
1. Powerful zone 2 Output
2. DLNA feature

my system is Cary cd player to AVR to Denton. I have no room for additional power amp. Shelf already full of stuff.

So change AVR is my choice because I also need DLNA to steam music from my PC.

Please kindly advise AVR for me. Any old model is also ok because I don't mind about picture quality or sound field when watch tv or blu ray. I need just a powerful and musical avr

Thank you in advances for any input
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 11-15-2013, 01:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 317
Wharfdale Denton speakers are inefficient (86dB) and low power (100 W max). In other words, they shouldn't be used in a large room where you want to get a high volume level. Using those speakers with a more powerful receiver is likely to damage the speakers before you can get the sound level that you seem to want. You need to investigate more efficient speakers (sensitivity greater than 90dB) and/or ones with a greater maximum power rating (200W or more) before you invest in more powerful electronics.

Sorry.

Selden
post #3 of 5 Old 11-15-2013, 04:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 348
you Onkyo 876 has Zone 2 preouts. Why not buy an external amp for Zone 2 so you can easily power your Wharfedale Denton's?

Afro GT
post #4 of 5 Old 11-15-2013, 05:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post

you Onkyo 876 has Zone 2 preouts. Why not buy an external amp for Zone 2 so you can easily power your Wharfedale Denton's?
I do not have room to place a power amp and I also want an AVR that have DLNA + Air Play function to streaming my HD files.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post

Wharfdale Denton speakers are inefficient (86dB) and low power (100 W max). In other words, they shouldn't be used in a large room where you want to get a high volume level. Using those speakers with a more powerful receiver is likely to damage the speakers before you can get the sound level that you seem to want. You need to investigate more efficient speakers (sensitivity greater than 90dB) and/or ones with a greater maximum power rating (200W or more) before you invest in more powerful electronics.

Sorry.
I never play loud in living room otherwise my wife will kill me smile.gif

I just listen to jazz and vocal when in living room. I play this song from CD player, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6YATKYIFnY, not as loud as when I watched movie but sound begin distort when all four singers and instrument come together..

Anyhow, thank you very much for your comments smile.gif
post #5 of 5 Old 11-16-2013, 09:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 317
For comparison, have you listened to it in the Main Zone in Direct mode with Audyssey disabled?

(A problem with all receivers is that you can apply their room EQ software only to the Main zone. frown.gif In many cases the EQ can make the sound much better.)

Do you mean that you listened to the CD itself and not to the YouTube video?

It's not an HD video, so part of the problem could be in the audio soundtrack of the video. I listened to it just now and thought I could hear a few rough spots. The CD shouldn't have those, of course. The singers' voices certainly are beautiful. smile.gif

At any rate, if you're considering upgrading your AVR, you might consider Denon or Marantz. My understanding is that all of their amp channels are the same. If you get a 7.1 receiver and use it in 5.1 mode, the other two amp channels can be used for Zone 2. I notice that Onkyo's manual for your receiver seems to rate everything for the front channel amps, which suggests that the other amps might be different.

Selden
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Sr876 Receiver
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page