Do I need to upgrade my Onkyo HT-R380 when I get new speakers? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 11-15-2013, 03:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I've been running an Onkyo HT-R380 for about 2 years and using the speakers that came with the HTIB package for this system. They're ok but definitely not blowing me away or anything.

I've decided to upgrade to Polk Monitor 60 or 70 speakers (and accompanying center channel). I may or may not get a new subwoofer (the one that came with the Onkyo is passive and very very weak) but I'm not sure if I have to upgrade my receiver or not.

Any advice would be appreciated - sorry I'm a total newb and don't know many of the terms. If I need to buy a new receiver my budget is no more than $400 USD. It would be nice to have more than 3 HDMI inputs but I'm really not picky on features - I just want the new Polk speakers to sound awesome. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 11-15-2013, 03:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 477
Polk speakers are fairly-efficient (meaning they don't need a lot of power to drive them to loud levels), 8-ohms (resistance) speakers. Your current AVR should have no trouble driving them.
post #3 of 6 Old 11-15-2013, 03:35 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks! So I will only have to upgrade the receiver if I want to get a new subwoofer? Would there be any noticeable performance increase from upgrading the receiver now?
post #4 of 6 Old 11-15-2013, 04:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 98
The biggest 'bang for the buck' in home audio is new speakers - not electronics. Lots of people say they hear a 'night and day' difference between their old AVR with and without that shiny new amp. It would have to be a very poor performing AVR to create that kind of 'night and day' difference. As for a subwoofer since your 380 doesn't have a subwoofer preamp out jack you'll need to find a subwoofer that has line level inputs - or a new AVR that has the proper preamp out for subs. Line level connections take the same connections that your speakers use. You run the wires from the L/R front speakers to the sub then more wires to your speakers. It is less than ideal and the LFE track on modern movie audio tracks is nearly useless to you but at least you get some decent low frequency sounds. Upgrading the AVR might be a good idea in your case.

When all else fails - RTFM!

♫♫♫ Two Channel Rules! ♫♫♫

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
post #5 of 6 Old 11-15-2013, 05:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knucklehead90 View Post

The biggest 'bang for the buck' in home audio is new speakers - not electronics. Lots of people say they hear a 'night and day' difference between their old AVR with and without that shiny new amp. It would have to be a very poor performing AVR to create that kind of 'night and day' difference. As for a subwoofer since your 380 doesn't have a subwoofer preamp out jack you'll need to find a subwoofer that has line level inputs - or a new AVR that has the proper preamp out for subs. Line level connections take the same connections that your speakers use. You run the wires from the L/R front speakers to the sub then more wires to your speakers. It is less than ideal and the LFE track on modern movie audio tracks is nearly useless to you but at least you get some decent low frequency sounds. Upgrading the AVR might be a good idea in your case.

Interesting, thanks a lot. It sounds like I don't want to invest in a subwoofer with line level inputs - better to get a new receiver and normal sub. Am I right?

How bad would it be to just upgrade the left/center/right speakers and leave the AVR and subwoofer as-is for now? I know that the bass won't be as good but my hope is that a passive sub + the low frequencies from the Monitor 70s might be sufficient. I expect a new AVR + sub would cost about $700-$800 and I'd rather save that money right now, but if it would be too ghetto then it would be nice to know upfront.
post #6 of 6 Old 11-15-2013, 06:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 98
You already have decided to buy those speakers connect them up and give it a try. You should hear a difference from those HTIB speakers.

I meant to say speaker level inputs for subs. Line level is the RCA jack connections - speaker level connect from the speaker outputs to the sub - then from the sub to the speakers. Many subs have both speaker level inputs and RCA (line level) inputs too so you'd be able to use it with any new AVR and have decent low frequency sounds. Your subwoofer is a passive sub - it has no amp - any AVR you buy won't be able to power it properly. Thats the trouble with HTIB setups - passive subs and 'different' speaker connections that often do not allow you to easily change speakers or subs.

When all else fails - RTFM!

♫♫♫ Two Channel Rules! ♫♫♫

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page