Receiver - two HDMI out, opticalout - reccomendation? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 11-16-2013, 01:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

I have an Denon AVR2113C that I purchased last year.

It is being used for:

Living Room:

Pioneer Elite Pro 150 Plasma

5.1 in wall speakers

DirecTv

BluRay S590

WII

Apple TV

Bedroom:

Sharp AQUOS LC-26D4U

Stereo in wall speakers

DirecTV (mini)

The Bedroom is using the component from the Denon currently but is unable to utilize the BlueRay.  The bedroom and living room were originally hooked up to a Sony 400 DVD player/Escient system, but the Sony is making wierd sounds and not loading - appears dead.

Since my Denon only has 1 HDMI out, that kind of screws up the possibility of watching one thing in the bedroom and another in the living room if I utilized a splitter.

I was looking for a nice pair of TV Headphones and came across the Sony MDR-DS6500. They looked great.  Problem I realized is that I dont have anything digital OUT on the Denon.

SO... I guess I'm looking for a new receiver.  I dont know a lot about Home systems although I am a computer nerd to some extent.  I would like to find a receiver that has :

2 Zones

2 HDMI OUT

5+ HDMI IN  ( DirecTV, BluRay,game system, AppleTV, a Computer with Media player/storage?)

Optical OUT (for the ds65000s)

component out (just in case)

Phono out for both zones in addition to speaker outs

Support for AirPlay, Bluetooth, etc

Eventually moving to a 3D TV most likely. I would also like to configure a dedicated computer that could store my purchased movies on - perhaps I can just add a drive to my appletv..I dont know.

I sure wish there was bluetooh out, but I hear that's not around (yet) - it would be great for BOSS ir Dr Dre headphones.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

I dont necessarily want the least expensive or the most expensive - I'm looking for something with great sound and quality that is expandable with an eye toward the future.

Jerry

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 11-16-2013, 02:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Very few AV receivers have optical digital audio outputs any more, and none of them support conversion from HDMI audio or analogue audio.
post #3 of 5 Old 11-16-2013, 02:36 PM - Thread Starter

I guess I'm even more confused - the specs on the Sony Digital headphones:

Audio In : Optical Digital Input (x1), Analog Stereo Input mini jack (x1)

That seems to me that it is looking for a Optical out, right? or is it called something else?

I assumed that if I use a Analog Stereo into the Sony headphones, I wouldnt be able to take advantage of the Digital Surround sound.

(The reason for a new receiver is HDMI out to the bedroom and to be able to get a great pair of TV headphones.)

post #4 of 5 Old 11-16-2013, 03:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 80
You'd have to connect the optical digital audio input of the headphone directly to the optical digital audio outputs of one of your sources.

You could also get one of the few AV receivers with an optical digital audio output (eg. Yamaha RX-A1030), and connect all your sources that you want to use the headphones with using optical or coaxial digital audio cables.

Headphones like the ones you're looking at were really designed for the pre-HDMI era where it was more common to have all your sources connected using (non-HDMI) digital audio cables. They're not very practical today.

This assumes you want surround sound from these headphones. If you just want stereo there are other options.
post #5 of 5 Old 11-16-2013, 03:09 PM - Thread Starter

Ah, so HDMI replaces the optical out.  Are there any HDMI wireless headphones out there? if so, that would mean I could use a splitter on the primary HDMI out.

What do people do for surround sound type wireless headphones?

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 2113ci Receiver , Pioneer Elite Pro 150fd 60 Inch Plasma Hdtv , Sony Bdp S590 3d Blu Ray Disc Player , Wii
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page