Need Receiver Or Similar To Hook Up To TV - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 11-17-2013, 08:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi, I'm looking for a receiver to hook up to my TV for the sole purpose of using headphones. I also plan on getting a home theater system, a Samsung HT F4500 , but I also need a cheap receiver just for headphones. I have a Samsung LN46C630K1F TV . Does anyone have any ideas on a cheap and/or reliable receiver to get. I'd rather have cheap and reliable. I'm only using it for headphones, nothing more, so it can be bare bones. I'm looking for the cheapest thing out there basically. I wouldn't even be getting this if it wasn't for the home theater system not having a headphone jack and it looks like most home theater systems (in my price range anything, nothing over $300) don't have headphone jacks either.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 11-18-2013, 08:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sithtiger View Post

Hi, I'm looking for a receiver to hook up to my TV for the sole purpose of using headphones. I also plan on getting a home theater system, a Samsung HT F4500 , but I also need a cheap receiver just for headphones. I have a Samsung LN46C630K1F TV . Does anyone have any ideas on a cheap and/or reliable receiver to get. I'd rather have cheap and reliable. I'm only using it for headphones, nothing more, so it can be bare bones. I'm looking for the cheapest thing out there basically. I wouldn't even be getting this if it wasn't for the home theater system not having a headphone jack and it looks like most home theater systems (in my price range anything, nothing over $300) don't have headphone jacks either.

IDEAS Here they are and I have used them and they are in use now. what works

Not having analog out is a pain, but at least the is optical out. There Is a little thing that called an DAC I think that uses the optical out put and converts it to analog out put with RCA jacks that's about 25 bucks. This is the one I used.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005PWPUW6/ref=oh_details_o07_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 This little dac also gets its power from the USB perts on the TV. Its makes for a net instal. At the same time you can order a optical cable and get everything in one shipment
I assume you are using it for watching TV as I do, can't hear that great and have had many work arounds.
The head phones I use are Sony wireless and the latest model # is MDR-IF245R. They have a volume control, so with this setup you need not wast money on a cheap amp of some type, one more tip if you use headphones on most AVR's for home theater it cuts out the audio. Other then the DAC the only other thing you need is an optical cable. There is one other tip, us IF unless you have a plasma TV then get RF.
post #3 of 8 Old 11-19-2013, 04:08 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you SOOOOOO much Phil! I've been looking all over for a work around and I knew there had to be one, but no one seemed to know or would even answer my question. Yes, that's what I use the headphones for. I'm very fortunate, in that (at least for now) my hearing is excellent, but I do use it to watch TV programs or movies at night when my wife sleeps. Question? I don't see a headphone jack on it. I see a coax in and an optical in and I see a RCA out and a power connector.

I found this RCA Headphone Jack Adapter that I'm assuming will work for me. Will I still get good sound when I'm basically using 2 adapters together? Thanks
post #4 of 8 Old 11-19-2013, 04:23 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked: 1320
The assumption was that your headphones either had an analog cable connection or a headphone to analog adapter which would then connect to the optical--> analog converter.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun, leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #5 of 8 Old 11-21-2013, 04:09 AM - Thread Starter

Yes, it's currently plugged into a 16 or 17 year old Aiwa desktop stereo with only the receiver component working...and that is going to die any day now. So yeah, it's analog and I was looking for another receiver that would have a headphone jack on it as well. I found one finally, the Onkyo HT-S3500. I see now that wired, while speaker wire is not desirable, it's better than wireless, unless you're prepared to spend a lot of money.
post #6 of 8 Old 11-21-2013, 05:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil17108 View Post

IDEAS Here they are and I have used them and they are in use now. what works

Not having analog out is a pain, but at least the is optical out. There Is a little thing that called an DAC I think that uses the optical out put and converts it to analog out put with RCA jacks that's about 25 bucks. This is the one I used.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005PWPUW6/ref=oh_details_o07_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 This little dac also gets its power from the USB perts on the TV. Its makes for a net instal. At the same time you can order a optical cable and get everything in one shipment
I assume you are using it for watching TV as I do, can't hear that great and have had many work arounds.
The head phones I use are Sony wireless and the latest model # is MDR-IF245R. They have a volume control, so with this setup you need not wast money on a cheap amp of some type, one more tip if you use headphones on most AVR's for home theater it cuts out the audio. Other then the DAC the only other thing you need is an optical cable. There is one other tip, us IF unless you have a plasma TV then get RF.

If you get the Sony wireless headphones and the DAC you will not need anything ells. I have spent many years working out what works. the sony has the amp in it a does the work there is one more thing check the audio menu and make sure that the set point is set to PCM.
post #7 of 8 Old 11-22-2013, 04:53 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Phil, but I think we've decided on the Onkyo HT-S3500. It has a receiver instead of a Blu-ray drive. We don't need another. This couldn't be more perfect for us. It's no Bose 5,1 system, but going from what we've been listening to, it's like the best thing we've ever heard before....lol.
post #8 of 8 Old 11-23-2013, 06:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sithtiger View Post

Thanks Phil, but I think we've decided on the Onkyo HT-S3500. It has a receiver instead of a Blu-ray drive. We don't need another. This couldn't be more perfect for us. It's no Bose 5,1 system, but going from what we've been listening to, it's like the best thing we've ever heard before....lol.

Glad that you went with Onkyo, in the opinion of many on AVS its better then Bose. In my home we have an Onkyo 7.1/Polk audio system in the living room, but I still have the headphone system and use it for the times that I don't use the other. By the way, have you looked at accessories4less.com for the onkyo, I just sent a onkyo ht s 5500 to my son to go with the 60 inch he just got. enjoy
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Samsung Ln46c630 46 Inch 1080p 120 Hz Lcd Hdtv Black , Onkyo Ht S3500 5 1 Channel Home Theater Speaker Receiver Package
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page