Receiver that outputs same sound to all speakers? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 11-18-2013, 12:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Probably a really basic question, but I'm looking for a receiver that puts out the same sound/power/volume to all speakers.

Will the mono setting accomplish this? I haven't purchased anything yet, but essentially that receiver/speakers will just be providing background music in a couple rooms.

So is there a certain type of receiver I need? Obviously don't want one room playing "back left" sounds and another playing "front right", if that makes sense.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 11-18-2013, 12:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 75
It sounds like you don't need a receiver... maybe you just want an amp???

post #3 of 8 Old 11-18-2013, 12:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Most AVRs have an "all channel stereo" or "party mode" for this purpose.
Maagguss likes this.

I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, except not while driving a school bus.
post #4 of 8 Old 11-18-2013, 01:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Actually, that question isn't necessarily as simple as it may seem at first. Most AVRs have a mode which will do stereo to all channels ("all channel stereo", "all zone stereo", "7 channel stereo", "party mode", etc.), but you'll still have left and right speaker differences.

Even AVRs with mono modes may not do it the way you want. e.g. mine has "mono movie" which puts one channel of sound to all speakers, but it assumes a mono source for that, like from an old movie. So that's not exactly what you want either, since you presumably want it to mix L and R from a stereo source into mono first, and then distribute that.

Considering all the fancy A/V stuff my AVR does, it can't do exactly what you want. It can do half of it in various ways, including distributing mono (mixed L + R) to a couple speakers in another "zone", but it has no way to take a stereo source, mix it to mono, and distribute that to all the multi-channel speakers, all by itself without external help i.e. to do what you want it requires a mono source, which in this day of stereo (at least) inputs, requires a mixer and maybe a Y cable to input the mono to both L and R.

I can see why you might want to do this. Since you brought it up, even though I have no need for it, I'm kind of surprised it isn't easier, doesn't seem like a lot to ask of an AVR. Though admittedly not at all what they're designed for.
post #5 of 8 Old 11-18-2013, 02:16 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the replies so far. Yes I thought it would be something simple.

Basically, we're going to have some speakers in the kitchen/breakfast nook/deck that fed from a receiver. The 2 sources will be TV (ie for football games) and background music (parties etc.).

My (inexperienced) plan was a receiver with HDMI, so run cable box etc through the receiver, so sound could be output to various speakers.

Each room has a volume control between the receiver and the speakers, so the sound can be controlled independently by room.

The only other issue I could think of, and I have a feeling this won't go over well here buttttt....

I'm not an audiophile, so the setup probably isn't very professional. There are 12 speakers total, some connections are split, so there are only 7 "source" speaker wires.....confused.gif

thanks again
post #6 of 8 Old 11-20-2013, 04:42 AM - Thread Starter

single bump...sorry :/
post #7 of 8 Old 11-20-2013, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 46
The first problem is, AFAIK and I have AVRs that go back to the laserdisc days, that nobody offers a mixdown to mono in an AVR. The "lowest" they do is stereo. So the L and R speaker sides could potentially (usually will) be different. No way to get around that internally.

The exception is if you told the AVR you only had a center speaker, then it would mix to mono, but then you could only use the center speaker or pre output. If the AVR was a fancy one with separate pre outs and amp inputs, with an octopus cable or (better) a small "mixer", maybe you could feed the mono center output into all the amps. When things get this awkward you have to figure you're not on the right (or best) track... AVRs like this would be pretty expensive now, but there were quite a few old ones that had separate amp inputs and they'd be quite cheap now (no HDMI, but would have plenty of coax/Toslink inputs for audio).

The second potential issue is I'm not sure how the amps of a typical and not-too-fancy AVR will react to "padded" speaker loads. This is really the realm of distribution amplifiers. The heads of these systems will mix stereo down to mono for distribution.

The best I can come up with is to use the AVR to provide a signal to a proper distribution amplifier. Otherwise you're trying to use a device for something it wasn't designed for, and you can't expect that to be simple these days with intricate and purpose-designed electronics.
post #8 of 8 Old 11-20-2013, 11:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 112
If the system is multi-zone you need a multi-channel distribution amplifier, so that you can set output levels for each. Typically for such an amplifier the source inputs are stereo but can be cascaded..
But can be mono depending upon the overall system objectives.
The primary reason you want to set basic output levels @ the amplifier and not some in-wall attenuator is to assure max reliability.

Just my $0.05... 👍😉
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page