Separate Amplification Upgrade Query: Which Way Would YOU Go? - Page 8 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #211 of 213 Old 02-24-2014, 05:47 AM
FMW
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked: 821
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntelliVolume View Post

Thank you 2K; appreciate your input and opinions. I understand the science behind the "increase in wattage" scenario but that begs to ask the question...what's the point of separate power amps then anyway? Wouldn't ANY receiver -- as bare bones as possible -- on the planet be able to drive ANY speaker system then?

Change that to most receivers and most speaker systems and it is correct.
Quote:
If the scientific approach to the wattage increase thing is indeed true, what kind of power would I need to "experience" a definite performance increase through my RTi12s over the "90 watts" they're supposedly getting now?

They aren't getting 90 watts now. They are getting only what the speakers need to operate at level you set. It is very unlikely that you would use 90 watts without damaging your hearing. The point of separate power amps is to handle those rare circumstances where the system needs more power or more current handling capacity. For most home audio users, there is no point to having an external amp. I think you have enough feedback. I recommend you go buy what you want and be done with it. You're dragging this out far beyond your need for information.
duc135 and RayWK like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 213 Old 02-24-2014, 02:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theresa View Post

Given that with movies the power required for the center is at least as much as the L/R a three channel amp would be a better choice.

Thank you, Theresa; that's the kind of feedback I was looking for. Not "whatever you want..."

post #213 of 213 Old 02-24-2014, 02:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Your very welcome!
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Polk Audio Speakers Rti 12 , Denon Avr X4000 7 2 Channel Home Theater Receiver , Emotiva Xpa 3 Amplifier , Emotiva Xpa 2 Stereo Power Amplifier , Onkyo Tx Nr929 9 2 Channel Network A V Receiver , Onkyo Tx Nr818 , Emotiva Xpa 5 5 Channel Power Amplifier
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page