Receiver Alternative to use with Xbox One? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 11-20-2013, 12:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So currently I have an old Yamaha AV receiver that doesn't have any HDMI. I have 5.1 speakers that use the copper speaker cable and also the sub. I pre-ordered the new Xbox One and I plan on having the Cable box and the TV plugging into the Xbox One via HDMI so it can control for me going from Cable to games and such.

My question is since the Xbox One will be controlling my video anyway, is there really still a need for me to buy a new AV Receiver that support HDMI? All it would be doing, I think, would be connecting my speakers and then connecting to the Xbox One via optical connection. is there another device that would still connect my speakers to the Xbox One that I can use that may be cheaper than a whole AV Receiver? maybe I am thinking about this totally wrong, but I am new to this stuff. I do like to keep things simple too. smile.gif

What do you guys recommend? Also, if a new receiver is needed would the Yamaha RX-V375 do what I need just fine? Or can I use my existing AV Receiver and use something like an HDMI hub?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 11-20-2013, 03:04 PM - Thread Starter

Just to add... the Xbox One has 2 HDMI and optical.
post #3 of 7 Old 11-20-2013, 05:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 81
I'd connect the Xbox One to your current receiver using an optical digital audio cable and directly to your TV.

Connecting the Xbox One to a new HDMI capable receiver would give you 7.1 surround in games and Blu-Ray movies, but other than that I don't know if there is a signifcant advantage. It might work better with the Xbox One's TV control system, for instance allow it to turn on your receiver and control its volume, but it would probably just make things worse at least until they get all the kinks out.

Note that the second HDMI port on the Xbox One is an HDMI input.
post #4 of 7 Old 11-20-2013, 05:09 PM - Thread Starter

So your saying plug my speakers and sub into my current AV receiver. Use the optical port on the AV receiver and plug the other end into the Xbox One. Then have my cable box plug into the Xbox One by HDMI and then have the Xbox One HDMI out to the TV?

lol so many plugins; did I get that right?
post #5 of 7 Old 11-20-2013, 05:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Yah, just like that.

Once you get a better idea of how well the Xbox One can control other devices you can decide if it's worth the cost of upgrading your receiver.
post #6 of 7 Old 11-21-2013, 09:49 AM - Thread Starter

So Microsoft posted how to setup Xbox One with and without an AV receiver or soundbar. The above way you described sounds better though. What do you think? (link: http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/live-tv/connect-console-to-home-theater#479fbb24ceac42afad19462ef1920d47)

Basic setup with an audio/video receiver

With an audio/video (A/V) receiver, the best and most direct option is to connect the devices sequentially:
1.Connect your set-top box HDMI output to the Xbox One HDMI input.
2.Connect the Xbox One HDMI output to your A/V HDMI input.
3.Connect your A/V HDMI output to the HDMI input on your television.

Notes
•This option requires that all devices support audio over HDMI.
•Surround sound from your set-top box will not be passed through the Xbox One.
•When you perform this kind of basic setup with an A/V receiver, you’re passing both audio and video through another device. Depending on your equipment, there is a small risk of audio or video lag.

Audio receiver with optical or sound bar

This is a slightly more complicated configuration that may require cables other than HDMI cables. This option provides full surround sound from your television set-top box. It’s best for older A/V receivers that either don’t have an HDMI port or don’t support audio over HDMI.
1.Connect your set-top box HDMI output to the Xbox One HDMI input.
2.Connect the Xbox One HDMI output to the HDMI input on your television.
3.Connect the audio output from the television to the audio input on the sound bar using either HDMI or Optical S/PDIF cables.
post #7 of 7 Old 11-21-2013, 02:44 PM
AVS Special Member

The problem with Microsoft's second suggested way of connecting everything that you quoted above is that it will limit you to just stereo with most, if not all, TVs.

In theory Microsoft's first suggestion should work the best but it depends on the Xbox One being able to control your AV receiver (which would have to be a new AV recever that supports HDMI) using HDMI CEC. In practice HDMI CEC doesn't always work as expected and it can cause more problems than it solves. I'd be very surprised if Microsoft were able make something that works well out of the box, so my suggestion is to wait until you're able to get some feedback other Xbox One early adopters to see if it's actually worth buying a new receiver.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Yamaha Rx V375 5 1 Channel Av Receiver , Xbox One Console Standard Edition
Gear in this thread - V375 by PriceGrabber.com