How will this work? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 11-20-2013, 04:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My TV (Sony XBR) can be set to output audio but still control volume. Can I hook up a two channel amp, not an integrated amp just an amp, to the TV via RCA and then hook two speakers to the amp for audio from the TV/satellite/BR player? As I said volume can be controlled by the TV. Will this work OK? I'm thinking of just going to a 2.1 system with high quality speakers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 11-20-2013, 04:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Sounds like it'll work just fine.

When all else fails - RTFM!

♫♫♫ Two Channel Rules! ♫♫♫

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
post #3 of 11 Old 11-20-2013, 05:52 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked: 1299
Depends. If the source devices are connected via HDMI to the TV, make sure that the TV will output the HDMI audio via the analog outputs.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun, leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #4 of 11 Old 11-20-2013, 06:27 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah, the satellite and BR player both run through the TV via HDMI. I know the TV outputs with this setup because I'm currently running some M-Audio monitors receiving RCA from the TV. I guess my biggest question is that there would be no "gain" control, just a volume control. I know the TV will increase and decrease volume but will it be ok with no gain control?
post #5 of 11 Old 11-20-2013, 07:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by tongr View Post

Yeah, the satellite and BR player both run through the TV via HDMI. I know the TV outputs with this setup because I'm currently running some M-Audio monitors receiving RCA from the TV. I guess my biggest question is that there would be no "gain" control, just a volume control. I know the TV will increase and decrease volume but will it be ok with no gain control?

What is the difference between gain control and volume control?

When all else fails - RTFM!

♫♫♫ Two Channel Rules! ♫♫♫

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
post #6 of 11 Old 11-20-2013, 07:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 223
The technical definition differs but in practice they are the same. Both change the gain from input to output. Some use the terms interchangeably, and some define pads (attenuators) instead of volume controls. Not sure I have seen a real consensus on circuit definitions (I was weaned one way but many other techies have differing views).

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
post #7 of 11 Old 11-21-2013, 05:50 AM
FMW
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 616
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH50 View Post

The technical definition differs but in practice they are the same. Both change the gain from input to output. Some use the terms interchangeably, and some define pads (attenuators) instead of volume controls. Not sure I have seen a real consensus on circuit definitions (I was weaned one way but many other techies have differing views).

While they are the same, I think gain is more commonly used in pro audio and volume in home audio. I can't tell you why.
post #8 of 11 Old 11-21-2013, 09:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 223
Hmmm... I have done a fair amount of pro work and now that I think about it I think you are right. As to why, no idea. Maybe pros have no time to waste on two syllables when one will do. smile.gif IME "volume" has come to mean the final sound level, often a single control (one volume knob on the average consumer component), whilst "gain" is adjusted at many points along the sound reinforcement and/or recording chain (I have many gain controls from mic to speakers).

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
post #9 of 11 Old 11-21-2013, 10:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked: 997
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knucklehead90 View Post

Quote:

What is the difference between gain control and volume control?

It might be a matter of simple word choices, or the gain control might be a simple attenuator while the volume control attempts to control perceived loudness which includes frequency response shaping.
post #10 of 11 Old 11-23-2013, 06:43 AM - Thread Starter

My concern was if the amp has no gain control and is just pouring out full current if the TV volume control could handle it or if there would be problems ie. too loud too fast.
post #11 of 11 Old 11-23-2013, 06:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked: 997
Quote:

My concern was if the amp has no gain control and is just pouring out full current if the TV volume control could handle it or if there would be problems ie. too loud too fast.

Adding gain controls to a signal chain is pretty easy.

However, lots of people connect amps with no input gain controls to the line outputs if TVs that apply their volume control to them.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page