Will Audyssey help? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 11-20-2013, 07:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

I am in the process of upgrading my HT system.  With the old rear projection TV I could place the center speaker on the top.  I was very happy with the sound that was produced.

When I changed to a plasma and a glass shelf stand I put the TV on the top shelf and the center speaker on the shelf under it.  The stand is wide open and there is plenty of space on either side of the speaker, but there is only about a half inch clearance above it.  This is a front ported design.

In this location the speaker is just not as crisp as it was before.  When I first moved it I was really disappointed, but I have gotten used to it somewhat.  I am now going to upgrade the receiver and want to know if Audyssey will get my old sound back.  There are trade offs on the specs of each receiver I am considering, and I need to know if the version of Audyssey included should be one of the priorities.

Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 11-21-2013, 05:33 AM
FMW
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked: 713
Quote:
Originally Posted by boat man View Post

I am in the process of upgrading my HT system.  With the old rear projection TV I could place the center speaker on the top.  I was very happy with the sound that was produced.

When I changed to a plasma and a glass shelf stand I put the TV on the top shelf and the center speaker on the shelf under it.  The stand is wide open and there is plenty of space on either side of the speaker, but there is only about a half inch clearance above it.  This is a front ported design.

In this location the speaker is just not as crisp as it was before.  When I first moved it I was really disappointed, but I have gotten used to it somewhat.  I am now going to upgrade the receiver and want to know if Audyssey will get my old sound back.  There are trade offs on the specs of each receiver I am considering, and I need to know if the version of Audyssey included should be one of the priorities.

Thanks for your help.

Speaker placement certainly affects sound, doesn't it? I realize you have very little room above the speaker. But I would recommend trying to wedge the front of the speaker so that it tilts upward a little. That may be enough to improve your reaction to the sound.
post #3 of 8 Old 11-22-2013, 12:13 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1023 Post(s)
Liked: 1506
As suggested above, at the very least you'll want to pull the center speaker out to the edge of the cabinet and then wedge it up to aim towards your ear height. Beyond that Audyssey will generally help improve the audio quality of most room dynamics.

---------------------------------
"JD" –
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Mon - Fri: 10am – 10pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Parasound
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #4 of 8 Old 11-22-2013, 03:36 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

As suggested above, at the very least you'll want to pull the center speaker out to the edge of the cabinet and then wedge it up to aim towards your ear height. Beyond that Audyssey will generally help improve the audio quality of most room dynamics.

Well, it is out as far as it will go.  There is a support for the upper shelf that will prevent it being tilted up.  To do that I will need to push it in about a half inch.

I guess it is worth a try.

post #5 of 8 Old 11-28-2013, 05:43 AM - Thread Starter

I have more info.

I was watching a movie and there was a passage where I just could not understand what was being said. I replayed the scene and got so my ears were level with the center speaker. In that position I could hear it clearly just the way the sound was before I moved the speaker.

Unfortunately there is not enough clearance above the speaker to tilt it and do any good. It seems my solutions would be to replace the stand with one that allows more room to tilt or to mount the TV on the wall and put the speaker on the top shelf. I am not thrilled with the latter - I really don't want to move the TV back. I guess a stand with a mount included would work also.

Since I am going to get a new receiver anyway I still have hope that Audyssey or one of the other calibration programs will help enough to be able to live with it. Any recommendations on which receiver or calibration system will help the most?
post #6 of 8 Old 11-28-2013, 05:50 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1023 Post(s)
Liked: 1506
Depending on your budget and requirements, the Denon AVR-X2000 is a good place to start. Review post #2 in the Denon AVR-E/X Series owner's thread for a description of each model in the 2013 series. There are 4 versions of Audyssey with Denon models starting with the 2nd from the bottom, Audyssey MultEQ while the X2000 uses the 3rd version from the bottom, Audyssey MultEQ XT and comes with a 3 year warranty.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1465528/the-official-2013-denon-e-series-x-series-avr-model-owners-thread-faq/0_100#post_23134186

---------------------------------
"JD" –
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Mon - Fri: 10am – 10pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Parasound
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #7 of 8 Old 11-28-2013, 07:38 AM - Thread Starter

I was looking at the Denon AVR-2313 and the Pioneer SC-1223 or VSX-1123. In reading about MCACC it seems as though I might be able to tweek it more. Is that correct, and would it help my problem?
post #8 of 8 Old 01-01-2014, 06:50 AM - Thread Starter

I thought I would come back and share my solution.

Based on the feedback I got here I decided to not worry about the version of Audyssey (or any other brand) that was in the receiver. I wound up getting the Yamaha TSR-6750 at Costco, set everything up and ran YPAO. I wasn't surprised that it didn't seem to solve the problem.

I decided to mount the TV on the wall behind the stand and move the speaker to the top shelf. Before ordering the mount I wanted to be sure THAT would resolve the issue, so I took the TV off the stand and moved the speaker to the shelf. There was a real improvement in the sound, although it still wasn't what I was remembering from my old set up. Then again that was from a year ago so that might not be a valid observation.

Since my wife wants me to paint the room I put everything back the way it was until I did that job. As I was playing around with settings I found an option on the Yamaha that lets you set the EQ of the center and surround speakers to match the mains. Lo and behold that solved the problem! The muddiness disappeared and dialogue was clear.

It might turn out that moving the speaker and using this setting would be even better, but it is not worth the effort.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Audyssey

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page