Looking to buy a new receiver - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 42 Old 11-21-2013, 05:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

So I'm looking to buy a new receiver from accessories4less, but my problem is there are so many different versions of receivers that I don't know which one I want. I want a Denon, since it is highly recommended. I also want it to be 7.1ch even though I only have a 5.1 setup at the moment. But that's the easy part, I narrowed it down but now they have so many difference. Some older receivers have better Audessey stuff, some have more Watts, some are just built better. Which is the most highly recommended Denon receiver? And does it have network capabilities along with a app for android/iPhone? I appreciate the help. I feel like the answer is really obvious to the people that look at this stuff and help others often, but to me, they all seem like they have the same specs lol. I have 4x Polk Monitor 60s series 2, center is a CS1 series 2 and the sub is a Polk 10inch, if that helps with anything.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 Old 11-22-2013, 12:20 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1985 Post(s)
Liked: 1749
Your budget would help to narrow down your choices better. The wattage between these models will be negligible. The lowest level networking models which are 7.1 in each year group are: 2011 - 1912, 2012 - 1913, 2013 - E400. Note there is only a 1 year warranty on refurbished units from AC4L so consider purchasing an extended warranty if buying from AC4L or call for prices on the current year models.
moccor likes this.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST (including weekends)
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #3 of 42 Old 11-22-2013, 09:58 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I know it isn't the question you asked, BUT... I have fairly nice equipment, I make pretty decent money with my wife, but I just can not get over the costs of these items. I typically wait a year or sometimes 2 and buy these things used. I have had GREAT luck doing so and saved a ton of money.

My last purchase was a Pioneer Elite sc-07(it was 3 years old), and I got that in Jan of 2012 for 650 dollars from a forum member. That thing was like brand new and I have never had 1 issue with it. It was a great item for 650 dollars when it was selling new for about 1800.

Now I just bought a used Pioneer Elite sc-67 for 700 dollars, instead of 1800 dollars and it is 1 year old.

If you can get over the fear of buying used, you can get EXCELLENT pieces of equipment for a fraction of the cost. And most people that spend close to 2k on a receiver and are selling it a year later, are buying another piece of expensive gear... and those people take care of their stuff... so the item they are selling, is likely in GREAT shape.

Just a thought. Now a BD player?? Wouldn't waste my time on used as a new one is so cheap//.... but a 2k receiver, I will likely never buy a brand new one again.
slimDub13 and moccor like this.
post #4 of 42 Old 11-22-2013, 07:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

Your budget would help to narrow down your choices better. The wattage between these models will be negligible. The lowest level networking models which are 7.1 in each year group are: 2011 - 1912, 2012 - 1913, 2013 - E400. Note there is only a 1 year warranty on refurbished units from AC4L so consider purchasing an extended warranty if buying from AC4L or call for prices on the current year models.

Well the most expensive refurbished Denon is 450$, which I wouldn't mind spending as long as it actually was worth it and worked. I seen some 7.1 Harmon Kardon receivers on Newegg for sale and with some Polk 5.1 speakers for free. It wasl ike 450-500 and I would have considered buying it except for the fact that many people said it was buggy and had problems that needed to be fixed. that's kinda the reason I want Denon, since its recommended and they seem to have the best quality control from what I've read

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopsrgreat View Post

I know it isn't the question you asked, BUT... I have fairly nice equipment, I make pretty decent money with my wife, but I just can not get over the costs of these items. I typically wait a year or sometimes 2 and buy these things used. I have had GREAT luck doing so and saved a ton of money.

My last purchase was a Pioneer Elite sc-07(it was 3 years old), and I got that in Jan of 2012 for 650 dollars from a forum member. That thing was like brand new and I have never had 1 issue with it. It was a great item for 650 dollars when it was selling new for about 1800.

Now I just bought a used Pioneer Elite sc-67 for 700 dollars, instead of 1800 dollars and it is 1 year old.

If you can get over the fear of buying used, you can get EXCELLENT pieces of equipment for a fraction of the cost. And most people that spend close to 2k on a receiver and are selling it a year later, are buying another piece of expensive gear... and those people take care of their stuff... so the item they are selling, is likely in GREAT shape.

Just a thought. Now a BD player?? Wouldn't waste my time on used as a new one is so cheap//.... but a 2k receiver, I will likely never buy a brand new one again.

Assessories4less sells a bunch of refurbished/factory re-certified stuff, which is what I was looking to buy. And I'm sure you're right that I can get better for cheaper from a user, but I like buying things new or with a long warranty. Even if electronics are taken care of, they are very random and can just not work all of a sudden, so I prefer having a warranty.

post #5 of 42 Old 11-24-2013, 11:15 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

So they're all pretty much the same sound-wise, only the features (ex. Android/iPhone app, 4k upscaling, multi-room, etc) are different?

post #6 of 42 Old 11-24-2013, 11:24 AM
585-645-1006

There are at least 6 models on that site that range from $500 - $1600, however, if your budget is below $500, then choose the model that best meets your feature requirements and uses Audyssey MultEQ XT for the better audio quality over the lower version of MultEQ on the lower level models.
moccor likes this.

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
post #7 of 42 Old 11-24-2013, 01:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

There are at least 6 models on that site that range from $500 - $1600, however, if your budget is below $500, then choose the model that best meets your feature requirements and uses Audyssey MultEQ XT for the better audio quality over the lower version of MultEQ on the lower level models.

Ahh yeah I'm not a audiophile so I really don't want to spend that much. Is spending that much on a receiver a big difference than the cheaper ones? What's main difference?

post #8 of 42 Old 11-24-2013, 02:25 PM
585-645-1006

Better audio quality and more features; however, based on your speaker setup, the < $500 models are more in line as the general rule of thumb is that the AVR should cost about 1/3 to 1/4 of the 5.1 speaker setup. So as I suggested, choose a model that has the features you need and that ideally uses MultEQ XT vs. just MultEQ.
moccor likes this.

post #9 of 42 Old 11-24-2013, 06:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Better audio quality and more features; however, based on your speaker setup, the < $500 models are more in line as the general rule of thumb is that the AVR should cost about 1/3 to 1/4 of the 5.1 speaker setup. So as I suggested, choose a model that has the features you need and that ideally uses MultEQ XT vs. just MultEQ.

Alright thanks for the info, that's the perfect answer.

post #10 of 42 Old 11-26-2013, 03:54 PM - Thread Starter

So I was finding which receiver would fit my needs, I thought it was the AVRE400 (doesn't have MultEQ XT) and when i was reading about the difference between MultEQ XT and XT32, it mentioned being able to calibrate two subs differently. Which is awesome. So now I'm thinking of spending a bit more, just to get 7.2ch and that ability. I know Denon aren't the only receivers to support it. Is there a good receiver that has a Android app, Networking, and 7.2 that calibrates the subs separately that isn't insanely expensive? I searched for some Denon, but the older 7.2 don't seem to have Xt32 but still seem to be expensive. I've found some Onyko 7.2 but I'm not sure of their settings or quality (I seen a lot of bad reviews regarding HDMI boards failing or the receiver dying) I plan on buying a 5 year extended warranty though if I order from Assessories4less.

Like this - http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/DENAVR3311CI/DENON-AVR-3311CI-7.2-Channel-Network-Home-Theater-Receiver/1.html#!more

The price is fair, but its not MultEQ XT32 (or it fails to mention it)

post #11 of 42 Old 11-26-2013, 03:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked: 417
Receivers with XT32 and Sub EQ HT are not cheap. They tend to be the top of the line models.

Afro GT
post #12 of 42 Old 11-27-2013, 04:46 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post

Receivers with XT32 and Sub EQ HT are not cheap. They tend to be the top of the line models.

Yeah, just noticed none of the Denon 7.2 receivers at assessories4less had those two features. Not even the 800$ model lol. Maybe I'll just go with a 5.1 receiver then, for the low price and upgrade later in the future.

post #13 of 42 Old 11-27-2013, 05:39 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 52
This is in the product description on A4L for the 3311:

Audyssey MultEQ XT Support: Audyssey technology helps create an optimal acoustic profile for your home theater. Using a microphone, Audyssey MultEQ XT carefully measures the "acoustic layout" of your listening area, and then adjusts the speakers to perform at their best, making for the finest listening environment possible.

I assume XT is the same as XT32?
moccor likes this.

"To the journey..
Sony KDL60W630b; Onkyo TX-NR818
Polk RTi A7 Mains; Polk RTi CSi A6 Center; Polk RTi A5 Wides & Surrounds
HSU VTF2-Mk4
Teac PD-H600; Marantz BD7004; Dual 1218
post #14 of 42 Old 11-27-2013, 08:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by wtxgringo View Post

Audyssey MultEQ XT Support: Audyssey technology helps create an optimal acoustic profile for your home theater. Using a microphone, Audyssey MultEQ XT carefully measures the "acoustic layout" of your listening area, and then adjusts the speakers to perform at their best, making for the finest listening environment possible.

Nope. The number of sampling positions ( eight ) is the same but the filter resolution for the speakers is 32 times greater than XT and 4 times greater than XT for the sub. XT32 also lets you EQ more than one sub independently using Sub EQ.

Filter resolution for XT32 is 512/512 and XT is 16/128.
moccor likes this.

HD-DVD = 94
Blu-Ray = 120 ( 24 Warner red2blu )
post #15 of 42 Old 11-27-2013, 08:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 794
Quote:
Originally Posted by jevans64 View Post

Quote:

Nope. The number of sampling positions ( eight ) is the same but the filter resolution for the speakers is 32 times greater than XT and 4 times greater than XT for the sub. XT32 also lets you EQ more than one sub independently using Sub EQ.

Correct.

Just so wtx knows, there are 4 versions of audyssey. From worst to best - 2EQ, MultEQ, MultEQ XT, and MultEQ XT32.
moccor likes this.

I don't need snobs to tell me how to think, thank you!
post #16 of 42 Old 11-27-2013, 09:16 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by jevans64 View Post

It's important to note that XT32 does not EQ dual subs rather the feature that allows this is Audyssey Sub EQ HT which is currently featured on some (but not all) XT32 models although can also be featured on XT models as well should the mfr choose to provide it.
moccor likes this.

post #17 of 42 Old 11-27-2013, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 587
post #18 of 42 Old 11-27-2013, 09:21 PM - Thread Starter

Wow, thanks a lot for all the info and links, I appreciate it. People always ask me how I know so much about PC's even when its something easy to fix or change. I know how they feel now lol. Slowly learning more about receivers. Is MultEQ XT32 very new that it isn't even available on any receivers at acessories4less? If so, about when do you think it will be available? And does anyone have any other nice-reputable sites like acessories4less? I'd really rather not spend 200$ only to want to upgrade a year later to a 7.1 or 7.2ch setup later but I know this old Yamaha receiver is holding my sound quality back

post #19 of 42 Old 11-27-2013, 10:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 794
Quote:
Originally Posted by moccor View Post

Wow, thanks a lot for all the info and links, I appreciate it. People always ask me how I know so much about PC's even when its something easy to fix or change. I know how they feel now lol. Slowly learning more about receivers. Is MultEQ XT32 very new that it isn't even available on any receivers at acessories4less? If so, about when do you think it will be available? And does anyone have any other nice-reputable sites like acessories4less? I'd really rather not spend 200$ only to want to upgrade a year later to a 7.1 or 7.2ch setup later but I know this old Yamaha receiver is holding my sound quality back

onkyo 818 (out of stock at the moment - they will likely get more in), denon 4311, denon x4000, denon 4520 all have xt32 and are available from ac4l. there may be a couple of others. xt32 has been around since at the2010- 2011 model year series denons, so its a few years old. its just that it is a high level of room eq therefor it has been only found on higher end avrs.
moccor likes this.

I don't need snobs to tell me how to think, thank you!
post #20 of 42 Old 11-28-2013, 04:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67jason View Post

Correct.

Just so wtx knows, there are 4 versions of audyssey. From worst to best - 2EQ, MultEQ, MultEQ XT, and MultEQ XT32.
Yep, did some reading after my post & discovered a lot of info I'd missed out on LOL. Now I'm wanting a new 818!! OneCall has an open box for $599!! Not bad at all! biggrin.gif

"To the journey..
HSU VTF2-Mk4
post #21 of 42 Old 11-28-2013, 04:16 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:

XT32 requires more processing power than the lower Audyssey versions and therefore won't be found on any Denon refurbs < $500, although even the basic version MultEQ or MultEQ XT will likely be an improvement over what you're had in the past..
moccor likes this.

post #22 of 42 Old 11-28-2013, 04:19 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:

Yep, did some reading after my post & discovered a lot of info I'd missed out on LOL. Now I'm wanting a new 818!! OneCall has an open box for $599!! Not bad at all! biggrin.gif

Not sure if it's relevant to you, but note that the 818 does not feature Audyssey Sub EQ HT (which most other XT32 models also include) which can calibrate dual subwoofers.
moccor likes this.

post #23 of 42 Old 11-28-2013, 04:23 AM

Quote:

Not sure if it's relevant to you, but note that the 818 does not feature Audyssey Sub EQ HT (which most other XT32 models also include) which can calibrate dual subwoofers.
Just have the one sub so I'm good to go. Limited space!

"To the journey..
HSU VTF2-Mk4
post #24 of 42 Old 11-28-2013, 10:56 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

XT32 requires more processing power than the lower Audyssey versions and therefore won't be found on any Denon refurbs < $500, although even the basic version MultEQ or MultEQ XT will likely be an improvement over what you're had in the past..

Yeah I'm sure of that too, mine is a older ugly Silver Yamaha haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67jason View Post

onkyo 818 (out of stock at the moment - they will likely get more in), denon 4311, denon x4000, denon 4520 all have xt32 and are available from ac4l. there may be a couple of others. xt32 has been around since at the2010- 2011 model year series denons, so its a few years old. its just that it is a high level of room eq therefor it has been only found on higher end avrs.

Definitely won't ever choose Onkyo, due to the many hardware problems reported on nearly every receiver I checked, even 1000$+ Onkyo receivers. I don't even consider harman kardon due to the many problems I see in reviews with their software/GUI/firmware or w/e it is lol. 

Seems like the Denon X4000 is what I want, but the price is high. I'll definitely get it though, but not as soon as I was gonna buy a cheaper receiver. 

post #25 of 42 Old 11-28-2013, 11:36 AM

Liked: 22

If you didn't know already, there is an incredible deal going on for a Yamaha RX-V673 on Amazon right now ($299). It will probably do everything that you want your receiver to do. 

moccor likes this.

Living room: EMP Tek E55Ti (pair) / Yamaha RX-V475 / Sony BDP-S3100

Bedroom: EMP Tek E5Bi (pair) / Yamaha RX-V375 / JVC DVD player

Headphone equipment: Sennheiser HD 598 / PA2V2 headphone amp

post #26 of 42 Old 11-28-2013, 12:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by VS85 View Post

If you didn't know already, there is an incredible deal going on for a Yamaha RX-V673 on Amazon right now ($299). It will probably do everything that you want your receiver to do. 

I saw that, but I don't think its a true 7.2 receiver. It has a Zone B that utilizes a second sub in Zone B, but from what I read in the description it seems to only use that second sub in Zone B

post #27 of 42 Old 11-28-2013, 02:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

there's no True 7.2 content available. So not quite sure what you're looking for in a true 7.2 receiver. Like was mentioned earlier if you want sub eq ht for dual subs then you need to spend more money...way more money.
moccor likes this.

Afro GT
post #28 of 42 Old 11-28-2013, 04:29 PM - Thread Starter

There is no way to force a receiver to use both subs even if the signal doesn't support the extra sub? Like a 7.1 signal Can't be forced to simply use both?
post #29 of 42 Old 11-28-2013, 05:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Maybe you can but you'd have to read the receiver manual to determine this.

Afro GT
post #30 of 42 Old 11-28-2013, 06:32 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:

There is no way to force a receiver to use both subs even if the signal doesn't support the extra sub? Like a 7.1 signal Can't be forced to simply use both?

Sure it can. Simply connect a "Y" splitter cable from the single sub pre-out and the LFE will pass to both subs which will be treated as a single sub by the AVR.

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Polk Audio Am6095 B Monitor60 Series Ii Floorstanding Loudspeaker Black Each
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page