Emotiva XPA 2 Gen 2 Problems **UPDATE 2** - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 31 Old 11-21-2013, 06:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
UPDATE 2: An Emotiva Support member has contacted me. They will be cross shipping another amplifier, return shipping slip included (which is great, because shipping this 70lb beast is not cheap). I just have to lug this over to a UPS store and pay for sending the new one, which is completely understandable since I'm in Canada. Finally an outcome I'm satisfied with. Fingers crossed about the new unit.

UPDATE: I haven't received a response in over 2 weeks from either their customer service department or technical service departments. Th...

==================================================================================

Hi guys,

I was wondering if any of you might know what is wrong with my pretty much new Emotiva XPA 2 G2 amplifier (http://shop.emotiva.com/products/xpa-2-gen-2).

First off, I'm located in Canada, so they handle warranties differently than being in the States.

I received it back in September and since day 1, its been making this annoying clanking/clunking noise every time there is some kind of shift in output. It sounded like some kind of thermal issue where the heat sinks made a sound every time they had reseat after expanding and contracting to heat.

After contacting Emotiva support, they told me to take apart and put most of the screws back together on the chassis after a month of back and forth. I did that, and the first sign of doubt in product quality came with the fact that half the screws weren't even tightened underneath the chassis. I could twist most of them off with nothing more than a twist of the pinky. The ones inside seemed a little better, so I tightened the ones under the chassis and marginally loosened the ones inside. Voila, part of the issue was kinda fixed (thermal expansion and contraction clanks still occur maybe twice a day instead now instead of every 15 minutes).

It was at this point I realized that the problem wasn't a single issue, but actually two. Now that the contraction/expansion issue was (largely) out of the picture, I realized there was another more distinct clunk coming from inside the chassis whenever the output increased, decreased, or went silent. Under normal usage, it occurs maybe every 20 minutes to 2 hours depending on how many prolonged jumps from silent/loud to loud/silent there were. It sounds like those clunks you hear from a lot of amps during start up (the relay clunks similar to the sound a receiver makes when it activates its amplifier shortly after start up). Not only that, but the issue started getting worse and it actually began making these clunks even after the power was off every few hours. Maybe 4-5 hours after the unit has been turned off, there clunks would stop until you turned on the amp again.

My inspection process:
-Checked other outlets and power strips
-Checked interior for obvious parts damage
-Checked individual sources and cables
-Checked temperatures
-Checked sound output quality

After a while, one of the Service Techs sent out a replacement revision 1 power supply board for the revision 2 I had in my unit for free. I swapped it and the issue was the exact same.

Everything seems okay, but this annoying clunk keeps happening, so there is obviously something wrong. After 2 months of back and forth for an issue that came new in box an Emotiva Service Manager has told me to get in contact with a service depot in the Netherlands so I can send it to Europe for service (keep in mind, I'm in west coast Canada). I'm not too keen on sending my American branded, Chinese assembled, Canada landed amplifier to Europe. Shipping alone would cost a stupid amount. There is no way the only depot they have is in the Netherlands, is there?

Is there anyone who has had a similar issue or might have a guess as to what the problem might be? Any help would be appreciated since the alternatives include liquidating it or spending a stupid amount to ship it to Europe. No matter how basic or stupid the advice might sound, I want to know because I'd rather have a stupid fix than a broken amp! smile.gif

=================================================================================

This was actually my 3rd amplifier from Emotiva, and I was totally happy with the previous two, but I think this will be the last thing I would get from them. Their QC is seemingly lacking, especially when they claim to check every internationally outgoing device individually. I really question their QC claims as the chassis was literally held together with screws that were falling out and the clunking/clinking was the first thing I heard before even putting a source into it.

I can't help but feel robbed getting sent a lemon product. But I knew the risks involved with landing this device in Canada, so SOL for me I guess? I urge international buyers from Emotiva to be fully aware that they are not getting properly tested products, and if you get a dud, there is a chance you will not be able to resolve the issue and be left with a lemon product. Mine is almost unusable because of how annoying the clinking and clanking was fresh out of the box. That being said, the price is hard to match if you want something new. Its all about weighing pros and cons I suppose. Ignoring the clanking, this amp is a beast and a half for a lot less than Canadian priced equivalents NIB. One of the few times I wish I lived in America instead.

==================================================================================
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 11-21-2013, 07:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
If you are hearing constant clicking, it indicates the relays are engaging and disengaging. I have no idea what your options are, but shipping the amp to Europe seems bizarre.
post #3 of 31 Old 11-21-2013, 07:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 498
Wouldn't it be cheaper to send it to Emotiva in the US? Would Emotiva pay to have the amp fixed at a repair facility in your area?

Bill

My SACD collection, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #4 of 31 Old 11-21-2013, 08:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked: 295
Maybe they heard "Netherlands" instead of "Newfoundland"? Oops, you said "westcoast", nevermind... Emotiva is in TN, this is nuts. Call or email them again.

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
post #5 of 31 Old 11-22-2013, 06:52 PM - Thread Starter

The Emotiva Service Manager thinks it might be the heat sinks still making the noise.

I'm going to unplug one side's source (and if I can manage without having to pull the entire thing apart, the power as well) at a time and use it for a bit to at least see if its limited to one side's board/sink.

I figure this:

If side A is unplugged, side B plugged in, sound stops
If side B is unplugged, side A plugged in, sound starts
Then side A is likely a culprit (reverse for B)

If side A is unplugged, side B plugged in, sound starts
If side B is unplugged, side A plugged in, sound still starts
Then maybe there is an issue with a component somewhere between the PSU and the board connecting A and B to the PSU.

Are there any ways you guys might know in isolating problem parts?
post #6 of 31 Old 11-22-2013, 06:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

Wouldn't it be cheaper to send it to Emotiva in the US? Would Emotiva pay to have the amp fixed at a repair facility in your area?

Bill

I'll ask about this in the next correspondence with them. I figure the response would be something along the lines of "it isn't our fault you don't want to send the unit overseas in spite of the cost", which I fully understand from a business standpoint. But it doesn't hurt to ask
post #7 of 31 Old 11-22-2013, 07:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked: 1026
Does this mean folk in Tennessee really have no idea of geography? Could be, many US citizens have a very poor knowledge of such. Shipping to Europe instead of the US is silly stupid, surely they'll let you speak to someone with at least half a brain to get this resolved? Or maybe even in Tennessee they can't handle it....maybe the loose screws were from the "inspection" of a unit going abroad....or just loose screws at Emotiva smile.gif My chances of buying something from these guys just went downhill....a lot.

"I realize that somebody playing free music isn't as commercial as a hamburger stand. But is it because you can eat a hamburger and hold it in your hand and you can't do that with music? Is it too free to control?" - Don Van Vliet (aka Captain Beefheart) discussing commercial success in the music biz

post #8 of 31 Old 11-22-2013, 07:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post

Does this mean folk in Tennessee really have no idea of geography? Could be, many US citizens have a very poor knowledge of such. Shipping to Europe instead of the US is silly stupid, surely they'll let you speak to someone with at least half a brain to get this resolved? Or maybe even in Tennessee they can't handle it....maybe the loose screws were from the "inspection" of a unit going abroad....or just loose screws at Emotiva smile.gif My chances of buying something from these guys just went downhill....a lot.

Emotiva is in TN and run by transplants to the state. I know they have or have had employees from CA. One employee had a CA name. I believe it was Ben Dover.
post #9 of 31 Old 11-22-2013, 07:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 498
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUDCAT45 View Post

Emotiva is in TN and run by transplants to the state. I know they have or have had employees from CA. One employee had a CA name. I believe it was Ben Dover.

Whew! I was hoping you would set lovinthehd straight by his obvious "slam" of Emotiva biggrin.gif. You're losing your touch as it took you 23 minutes to spot this post where someone dissed Emotiva on AVS wink.gif. Such an enlightening and mature post as you are now slamming those from CA. Don't forget the standard Onkyo slam too wink.gif.

Bill
Knucklehead90 likes this.

My SACD collection, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #10 of 31 Old 11-22-2013, 08:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 113
I've read of similar problems from buyers in South America and Australia and other places around the world. Emotiva's claim of carefully checking out each piece of gear prior to shipping seems dubious IMO. Some times the cheapest item isn't.

Having said that I've owned many of their amps over the past 5-6 years and have had no problems with any of them.

When all else fails - RTFM!

♫♫♫ Two Channel Rules! ♫♫♫

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
post #11 of 31 Old 11-22-2013, 08:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

Whew! I was hoping you would set lovinthehd straight by his obvious "slam" of Emotiva biggrin.gif. You're losing your touch as it took you 23 minutes to spot this post where someone dissed Emotiva on AVS wink.gif. Such an enlightening and mature post as you are now slamming those from CA. Don't forget the standard Onkyo slam too wink.gif.

Bill

I left the house Bill.
In your usual fashion you choose to slam me. lovinthehd slammed the residents of TN more than he did Emotiva. I suppose that is proper from your view. If you had proper knowledge you would know I was honest is saying that Emo has employees from other states.
Your posts would be more mature if you could understand the nature of the conversation.
post #12 of 31 Old 11-22-2013, 08:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knucklehead90 View Post

I've read of similar problems from buyers in South America and Australia and other places around the world. Emotiva's claim of carefully checking out each piece of gear prior to shipping seems dubious IMO. Some times the cheapest item isn't.

Having said that I've owned many of their amps over the past 5-6 years and have had no problems with any of them.

Does it matter where it is shipped to? A return to Onkyo in the USA takes months to get returned.

Have fun with this one Bill.
post #13 of 31 Old 11-22-2013, 08:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUDCAT45 View Post

Quote:

Emotiva is in TN is all that matters, they should know where to send product to for repair both on a cost and logical basis, particularly those who founded/running the company who are guiding their employees are from Tennessee in the first place or is Tennessee a tax haven or cheap labor haven? I wasn't born in California and am moving out of state as we speak, good luck on that bending over thing whatever it was....I'd take CA over TN any day though....I've been to TN.

"I realize that somebody playing free music isn't as commercial as a hamburger stand. But is it because you can eat a hamburger and hold it in your hand and you can't do that with music? Is it too free to control?" - Don Van Vliet (aka Captain Beefheart) discussing commercial success in the music biz

post #14 of 31 Old 11-22-2013, 09:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Emotiva is in TN is all that matters, they should know where to send product to for repair both on a cost and logical basis, particularly those who founded/running the company who are guiding their employees are from Tennessee in the first place or is Tennessee a tax haven or cheap labor haven? I wasn't born in California and am moving out of state as we speak, good luck on that bending over thing whatever it was....I'd take CA over TN any day though....I've been to TN.

I would be leaving CA also. Who wants to live in a state that is in a financial crisis and the home of Nancy Pelosi?
I have been to CA and have no desire to return. Maybe our paths will not cross. smile.gif

Good luck with the move and may you find happiness in your new home.
post #15 of 31 Old 11-22-2013, 10:13 PM
AVS Special Member

?? What have the politics got to do with it? Not going there in any case. Are you the guy at Emotiva who doesn't know where the western part of Canada is compared to Europe as compared to Tennessee?

post #16 of 31 Old 11-22-2013, 10:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

?? What have the politics got to do with it? Not going there in any case. Are you the guy at Emotiva who doesn't know where the western part of Canada is compared to Europe as compared to Tennessee?

Not me. I have been retired for a few years.
post #17 of 31 Old 11-26-2013, 06:44 PM - Thread Starter

Haven't heard from Emotiva for a few days now. Heat sink shifting occurs on both the left and right sides since the clinking happens when either side is used mono. There is a temperature difference between the left and right sides when one source is not plugged in, so I'm assuming it doesn't run as much, if at all, without a source.

Relay clunking similar to the sounds digital amps make when turning on ("clunk clunk") still occurring randomly during use and after shut off. Tis a silly device.

I think I'm going to have to re-purpose it or sell it second hand. I don't think I'm going to buy another emotiva product. Over 2 months of back and fourth and I feel like they've made no effort to help me. International buyers beware!

Its a shame if I want to buy NIB, there aren't many reasonably Canadian priced options available. Before anyone judges me, I love new shiny things! biggrin.gif
post #18 of 31 Old 12-12-2013, 04:23 PM - Thread Starter

Its been over 2 more weeks without response from Emotiva. I'm really disappointed by this.
post #19 of 31 Old 12-14-2013, 02:26 PM - Thread Starter

Updated: Emotiva has contacted me and has arranged for an exchange.
post #20 of 31 Old 12-19-2013, 12:34 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 24
This is where sometimes it pays to sit back and let the, must haves, buy the new product, so possible bugs can be dealt with in the first year etc. Sometimes it pays to wait rather than be the, test rat, so to speak for a new line of amplifier with changes. Although items can be tested, Some problems may not show up in the first day of use etc. It is good to see they finally sent you a replacement, as they should have just done this in the first place, no questions asked, rather than try to make the customer a service man. They keep that kind of crap up, and eventually they will be sued, when a customer dies from death or injury as a result of engaging the customer in product repair. I cannot stress enough how much of a bone head move this is by a hi fi manufacturer.

90 percent of the Canadian population lives within 150 miles of the USA border. It is actually not more expensive to ship here. A few dollars extra maybe. Some are beginning to realize this
and good options are now available threw ebay global shipping program. Probably the best new program to come.

If your a Canadian looking at Emotiva, Your better off buying second hand units on ebay, Shipping and customs will end up being cheaper. At least until the Emotiva people develope the simple logistics to ship 150 miles further. I have bought all kinds of amplifiers and gotten the same free shipping deal all the USA buyers get. Canada is not exactly international, but to some USA people, the delivery is to be made to an igloo, just south of the north pole lol.

DHL ships to Canada with only 10 dollar customs clearance fee. So you can get lots shipped here fairly cheap with DHL, and only pay normal tax on entry. Sonic fiber in New Jersey sells a wide variety of amplifiers and they will ship DHL on request, just send them an email. In any event, I would say its a good idea to stay away from the GEN 2 for a while. If this is what happens with one customer, it makes you wonder how they will handle a bad production run.

It is my guess they have toad stools at customer service who probably all run to a central adviser every time a new problem comes up, when it should be a simple and quick exchange at their cost. They do not respond well to outside the box inquiry so to speak, they seem to like to run like most computer chips, and in a pre-programmed manner, and anything else does not compute.

When i sent them an email asking for the XPR2, the email return had a copy and paste response of how they appreciate their customers etc, lol. then told me they do not ship the XPR2 out of the Usa. They asked if i wanted a quote on the Gen 2. I sent them a reply telling them all the facts about US just being 150 more miles away so why not develop the logistics to ship this to Canada. On the very bottom of the email I said, "in any event , if i buy the XPA gen 2, can i get a free ship, if i buy say three of them!.

Usually any seller will bite at a multiple purchase deal but these guys have not even replied!!!. They could have at least repliied and said no, Our prices include shipping anywhere in the USA. We can ship this to the border for you but you will have to pay us 100 extra to get the extra 150 miles. Yes we will make more money charging you both shipping to the USA and Canada, but you have to pay more cause you are so far away. smile.gif I did end up buying a used XPR 2 on ebay. Seems Emotiva has got a lot of growing to do, as if you want to be both manufacturer, warehouser, and retailer, you need to have the skills to offer all three services, and it appears Emotiva still does not have those skills.
starmartyr likes this.

A Good amplifier requires a adequate power supply, It does not matter what the amplifier is capable of if the power supply will not provide the power required. Most amplifiers have under rated power supplies. It is up to you to make sure you get the ones that are
least under rated if at all.
post #21 of 31 Old 12-21-2013, 02:21 PM

Liked: 15
I am interested as to a further update. Did you receive your replacement? I am in Canada as well and was considering an Emotiva.

post #22 of 31 Old 12-22-2013, 05:08 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharp10 View Post

I am interested as to a further update. Did you receive your replacement? I am in Canada as well and was considering an Emotiva.

There's a new unit currently still in shipping on the way here. Should arrive on the 30th-ish. From the way it looks, they decided to pay for both the returning and sending of the amplifiers - something I am very okay with. But this is not normal for their policy or any other seller from the US, it just happened to be the case because it took months to get this sorted out. I would not bank on this happening again. Typically, you will be boned for warranties if you buy cross border from Canada like you would in any other country. I think it just hurts more because we're right next door to them. I think Johnplayerson is on the right track with considering buying used if there's any around you. But if you're buying used, I think there a lot more option than just Emotiva to consider (possibly one with Canadian warranty coverage as well).

But if you're a whore for virgin goods like me, by all means, go ahead but know exactly what you're getting yourself into. If its the sole amplifier you're putting your entire savings into, maybe its not the best way to go since your followup options are limited and usually very expensive if something does wrong (even NIB). It could be worth while finding local used or new goods to audition beforehand to either have a place to return to or to simply make sure the product works as advertised. Remember you're buying an 80+lb item boxed. Shipping a fat@ss like this isn't cheap.

Now, I'm not about to go bashing Emotiva because of this experience. I'm sure there are thousands of others totally happy with their amplifiers (in fact, I have 2 other Emotiva amps I'm perfectly content with as well as others). It wasn't too too bad for me because I have other amps I can use in case something goes wrong like this. I could only imagine how frustrated I would be if the XPA2 was the only thing I had to rely on.

They have sales like 5 times a year, so I would make sure you wait til you can get a discount to cover most of the shipping/duties/taxes. With boxing day and Christmas around the corner, looks like you wont have to wait long. Actually, I think there's a sale right now. On sale, shipped NEW to Canada, there's only a handful of options in the price bracket Emotiva offers. I don't doubt if I ordered from 10 other US companies, 6-7 would have the same delay in handling international warranties. Just make sure you understand that any kind of US-CAN warranty fulfillment will be a pain in the butt and costly (for you). Its a gamble, and its up to you to decide if the risk is worth it.

We'll see how the replacement will fare. I'll update then.
post #23 of 31 Old 12-22-2013, 05:59 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnplayerson View Post

This is where sometimes it pays to sit back and let the, must haves, buy the new product, so possible bugs can be dealt with in the first year etc. Sometimes it pays to wait rather than be the, test rat, so to speak for a new line of amplifier with changes. Although items can be tested, Some problems may not show up in the first day of use etc. It is good to see they finally sent you a replacement, as they should have just done this in the first place, no questions asked, rather than try to make the customer a service man. They keep that kind of crap up, and eventually they will be sued, when a customer dies from death or injury as a result of engaging the customer in product repair. I cannot stress enough how much of a bone head move this is by a hi fi manufacturer.

90 percent of the Canadian population lives within 150 miles of the USA border. It is actually not more expensive to ship here. A few dollars extra maybe. Some are beginning to realize this
and good options are now available threw ebay global shipping program. Probably the best new program to come.

If your a Canadian looking at Emotiva, Your better off buying second hand units on ebay, Shipping and customs will end up being cheaper. At least until the Emotiva people develope the simple logistics to ship 150 miles further. I have bought all kinds of amplifiers and gotten the same free shipping deal all the USA buyers get. Canada is not exactly international, but to some USA people, the delivery is to be made to an igloo, just south of the north pole lol.

DHL ships to Canada with only 10 dollar customs clearance fee. So you can get lots shipped here fairly cheap with DHL, and only pay normal tax on entry. Sonic fiber in New Jersey sells a wide variety of amplifiers and they will ship DHL on request, just send them an email. In any event, I would say its a good idea to stay away from the GEN 2 for a while. If this is what happens with one customer, it makes you wonder how they will handle a bad production run.

It is my guess they have toad stools at customer service who probably all run to a central adviser every time a new problem comes up, when it should be a simple and quick exchange at their cost. They do not respond well to outside the box inquiry so to speak, they seem to like to run like most computer chips, and in a pre-programmed manner, and anything else does not compute.

When i sent them an email asking for the XPR2, the email return had a copy and paste response of how they appreciate their customers etc, lol. then told me they do not ship the XPR2 out of the Usa. They asked if i wanted a quote on the Gen 2. I sent them a reply telling them all the facts about US just being 150 more miles away so why not develop the logistics to ship this to Canada. On the very bottom of the email I said, "in any event , if i buy the XPA gen 2, can i get a free ship, if i buy say three of them!.

Usually any seller will bite at a multiple purchase deal but these guys have not even replied!!!. They could have at least repliied and said no, Our prices include shipping anywhere in the USA. We can ship this to the border for you but you will have to pay us 100 extra to get the extra 150 miles. Yes we will make more money charging you both shipping to the USA and Canada, but you have to pay more cause you are so far away. smile.gif I did end up buying a used XPR 2 on ebay. Seems Emotiva has got a lot of growing to do, as if you want to be both manufacturer, warehouser, and retailer, you need to have the skills to offer all three services, and it appears Emotiva still does not have those skills.

"Never be the first with a new toy"

The whole replacing parts on my own thing doesn't really bother me as much as it might most others. I work with a lot of electronics so it'd be faster and cheaper (free) to just swap parts myself. But I imagine nontechnical people would be pretty peeved. If I understand their international policy correctly, they will send free parts, but will not cover to-fro shipping or the labour costs of hiring a tech to take a look at the unit. I find this is pretty standard for US companies. New in box issues though, that hits a grey zone that I feel should be handled entirely by the selling company.

I'm a bit whore for new in box goods. It stings me back a few times, but nothing truly beats having something pristine in box to call your own (especially when it works normally rolleyes.gif) From what I've been told (maybe the info is dated), Emotiva will not ship to a PO Box for us to push through customs ourselves. So that blows. Also, I didn't know about DHL's relatively cheap importation fees. I'll keep that in mind next time I bring something in from the states. Emotiva will ship using other companies as well on request. I've had them use USPS/CP and UPS before because the Fedex guy is a complete tool on my route. Unions are great only if you're in one. wink.gif

I don't know much about importation of electronics, but perhaps the XPR2 wasn't able to come in for some bureaucratic reason (like it doesn't meet the requirements for X and Y in sections A and B of charter 2683883). But still, sucks that they didn't respond at all.

I hate how most US companies wont ship to PO boxes. If they did, I would get one in a heartbeat since I live only an hour or so from the border. Oh jesus, all the things I would buy......... Free US->CAN shipping? I would be broke in 48 hours and in crippling debt by the time the first package arrives.

Honestly, I've never gotten free shipping from anything US based. ever. Even upon request, no one has ever given me that. Bummer. Spread your wisdom and tell me your ways!
post #24 of 31 Old 12-22-2013, 06:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 153

I believe one has to pay shipping for warranty service regardless of where you live, USA included.  Two issues in your situation.  It comes up too often where Emotiva's supposed checking over internationally shipped products is not very thorough, and customers are then faced with warranty and high shipping costs.  

On the sale price comments, Emotiva has stated that there will be no more sales after this one, so you can't really depend on waiting for the next sale to offset the cost of extra shipping unfortunately.  It seems a bad time to do this with a sluggish economy and many on food stamps or seeing the end of their unemployment checks.  I mean, I understand  Emotiva's position and all, it's just that they might pick a time when the economy is firing on all cylinders and such pricing changes might hurt them less.

The second generation of these amps seems to have little in the way of any changes to the circuitry or design.  When I checked, it had the same size power supply/caps, and same specs if I recall.  The only changes I could see were cosmetic and tiffany style RCA's in back, maybe I'm missing something.  But I don't think it's a new design with potential new design bugs/issues to sort out.  I've never heard of the issue you described with an Emotiva amp before.  On the loose screws, that is really odd.

Just did some checking, the Old version of the XPA-5 was 76 lbs, according to an Emotiva rep(by the name of Matt Wall, referenced half way down the page).  As listed on the second generation page, it now weighs 70.4 lbs.  So maybe some changes have occurred on the inside too.

post #25 of 31 Old 12-22-2013, 07:05 AM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by neoblackout View Post

There's a new unit currently still in shipping on the way here. Should arrive on the 30th-ish. From the way it looks, they decided to pay for both the returning and sending of the amplifiers - something I am very okay with. But this is not normal for their policy or any other seller from the US, it just happened to be the case because it took months to get this sorted out. I would not bank on this happening again. Typically, you will be boned for warranties if you buy cross border from Canada like you would in any other country. I think it just hurts more because we're right next door to them. I think Johnplayerson is on the right track with considering buying used if there's any around you. But if you're buying used, I think there a lot more option than just Emotiva to consider (possibly one with Canadian warranty coverage as well).

But if you're a whore for virgin goods like me, by all means, go ahead but know exactly what you're getting yourself into. If its the sole amplifier you're putting your entire savings into, maybe its not the best way to go since your followup options are limited and usually very expensive if something does wrong (even NIB). It could be worth while finding local used or new goods to audition beforehand to either have a place to return to or to simply make sure the product works as advertised. Remember you're buying an 80+lb item boxed. Shipping a fat@ss like this isn't cheap.

Now, I'm not about to go bashing Emotiva because of this experience. I'm sure there are thousands of others totally happy with their amplifiers (in fact, I have 2 other Emotiva amps I'm perfectly content with as well as others). It wasn't too too bad for me because I have other amps I can use in case something goes wrong like this. I could only imagine how frustrated I would be if the XPA2 was the only thing I had to rely on.

They have sales like 5 times a year, so I would make sure you wait til you can get a discount to cover most of the shipping/duties/taxes. With boxing day and Christmas around the corner, looks like you wont have to wait long. Actually, I think there's a sale right now. On sale, shipped NEW to Canada, there's only a handful of options in the price bracket Emotiva offers. I don't doubt if I ordered from 10 other US companies, 6-7 would have the same delay in handling international warranties. Just make sure you understand that any kind of US-CAN warranty fulfillment will be a pain in the butt and costly (for you). Its a gamble, and its up to you to decide if the risk is worth it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoblackout View Post

I appreciate your response. These are all good points to consider. I had previously purchased speakers and had them shipped to the border without issue. I understand that Emotiva wont do this. I was going to do the same for my subs but opted not to. My concern with the subs, as it is with Emotiva, is that there is so much that could potentially go wrong when shipping items of this weight.

post #26 of 31 Old 01-03-2014, 04:59 AM - Thread Starter

Hopefully the final update:

The new A-stock amp arrived a few days ago and has no more issues. Its a world of difference not having annoying noises come from the amp every 20 minutes.

UPS definitely manhandled my package though. The outer box looked like it was left out in the snow on multiple occasions and barely made it before falling apart completely at my front steps. More the fault of UPS than anyone, but who can blame them considering the delivery was the day after Christmas and this thing weighs in at 80lbs. I have to say that Emotiva doesn't f**k around with their packaging though. In spite of this thing looking like it went through hell and back the amp was untouched.
post #27 of 31 Old 01-03-2014, 09:39 AM

D5xQi5

I am sorry to hear that

post #28 of 31 Old 01-14-2014, 08:38 PM

Neo - 

Just a curious question; do you remember what serial number XPA 1 Gen 2 you had?  I just received a pair of these and one of mine is doing the exact same thing yours was.  The other appears to be working just fine.  They sound wonderful with my Magnepan 1.7s however that loud click every 10-15 min is terrible.  Even when no music is on mine is doing it (however if I understand correctly when in class A mode it is always using 60W even when no music it being played.

Hope you are enjoying your new set.  Thanks!

post #29 of 31 Old 01-14-2014, 09:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 153

Phone, do not email emotiva if you want your amp replaced.  Phone them and explain that the noise is unacceptable and you want it replaced(hopefully you are within the 30 day limit).  I have seen some customers in the past who have said they were told it's within normal parameters.  Amps are not supposed to tick, and you are not being unreasonable.  If you email, they may not get to you for an extended period of time.

post #30 of 31 Old 04-06-2014, 10:43 AM

It's unbelievable .... and they claim the RETHINK HIGH END lol.

This company need help in every area starting with the customers service to the Quality control etc etc...
Sometime they give me the impression that they are looking only for short term high profit without taking care
of this reputation to build a good name and a solid customer relationship business.

I was on the point to place an order for the XPA-1 Gen 2 monoblock amps, but I had the reflex to call the customers
service before to make sure that they had resolved the Clanking or Clunking noises issue, and guess what was their reply to me ?

This is normal because of the heat bla bla bla and if I can't live with it I am better not order these amps.

Thanks god I did not placed my order.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Emotiva Xpa 2 Stereo Power Amplifier