Bang & Olufsen Beocenter 7007 DIN Socket - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 11-22-2013, 01:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

I just bought a Beocenter 7007 to replace my 7002. The 7002 is going fine, but I saw this 7007 on eBay and almost stole it!  It's in fantastic condition, but I have discovered one problem.  On my 7002, there is a DIN socket, and I plug my STB into it to provide good sound to my HDTV.  However, the 7007 does not have it on the front, and according to the specs there should be one at the back. There is something at the back with a plastic cap over it, that looks like the socket might be underneath it, but I cannot get it off, so I'm wondering if I should try to force it, or if there's some trick to it.  Any clues anyone? 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 11-23-2013, 08:33 AM
cwt
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Din sockets are certainly old school vintagebando ; there a unique size [bit more diameter than a s - video socket being a mini din type ] so that should give you a good idea if you can identify the various audio /video rca's smile.gif Does it resemble any of these examples ?

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=din+socket&rlz=1C1CHMO_enAU522AU522&espv=210&es_sm=122&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=0MuQUrrhJeaQigeTzoDQAQ&ved=0CD4QsAQ&biw=1366&bih=623

There are other non standard din sockets including mic inputs mentioned below ; its very possible a beocenter with a cassette deck would have one like most tape decks of the period .Standard din inputs are associated with analog audio so if the stb has spdif I would use that instead if at all possible ..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mini-DIN_connector#Standard_connectors
post #3 of 7 Old 11-23-2013, 04:20 PM - Thread Starter

Hi Colin,

I have a Beocenter 5000 and a Beocenter 7002, and I just bought a 7007.  The 5000 and 7002 have a 5-pin AUX DIN Socket on the front panel.  On Beoworld and BeoCentral they say the DIN socket is at the back on the 7007.  As much s I looked for it, I could only find what appears to resemble what might be a DIN socket, but it is covered with a plastic cap.  I have tried many ways to remove this cap, but it is stuck fast.  What I am trying to discover is whether the DIN socket is blanked off for some reason on this particular unit, or if I should forcibly remove the plastic cap and all will be revealed.  I am just a bit cautious about whether this cap is meant to be permanently fixed in place.

post #4 of 7 Old 11-23-2013, 04:22 PM - Thread Starter

DinPlug.jpg 5k .jpg file

P.S. forgot to attach the DIN plug.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg DinPlug.jpg (4.7 KB, 8 views)
post #5 of 7 Old 11-23-2013, 08:01 PM
cwt
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageBandO View Post

DinPlug.jpg 5k .jpg file

P.S. forgot to attach the DIN plug.
Thats a standard din so probably analog wink.gif Still looks a classy piece of kit after all the decades:) ; yes it is a bit of a risk ; did it come with the upgraded remote mentioned here ; if not it may be an analog line record in for the tape deck I mentioned . Its a matter of ruling things out with the rc buttons
Quote:
There was also the inclusion of a TP2 button to allow an auxiliary connection.

http://beophile.com/?page_id=440

I think they put one in the museum of modern arts or similar when it was released ; I so wanted one ;still a timeless design cool.gif
post #6 of 7 Old 11-24-2013, 06:55 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Colin.  I could not figure out if the thing covered over with a plastic cap is a DIN socket underneath, because it will not budge.  So I've given up on that and used a different lead with RCA's both ends, as there are 4 RCA sockets at the back too.  This works okay, but it works differently.  With the old DIN set up, I could keep the STB at about half volume, and the B&O amp also at about half volume, and that was a great listening volume.  With this RCA set up, I have to have the STB on max volume, and the B&O on about 1/3rd volume.  I think that may be just the way it works.  At least, the TP2 button means that the RCA cord can be left in all the time, whereas with the old one it had to pulled out to switch back to radio. 

There's always swings and roundabouts!

Cheers,

post #7 of 7 Old 11-24-2013, 07:12 AM - Thread Starter

P.S. thanks for your comments. Yes, it is a nice bit of gear.  I bought the first Beocenter +the iconic S45-2 speakers in England in 1980 and brought it with me when we migrated to Australia in 1981.  It is still working fine if a little shabby, although it only ever had 2 minor surgeries!  It cost about 750 Sterling tax and duty free, plus an extra 100 Sterling to upgrade to an MMC20CL cartridge. About 3 or 4 years ago, I spotted a 7002 on eBay, and snipped if for about $230, (plus a drive to Sydney and back and a week's holiday along the NSW coast!) with 2 P45 fantastic speakers (Beoworld says if you see these grab them - they are highly collectable!) It is also running perfectly.   Then I saw this 7007 on eBay last week, sitting at $10 (no reserve) with 3 days to go.  I waited until the last 2 minutes and waded in with one bid $1 above the current one, and then waited until the last 10 secs, when it had hit $65, and hit it with a winning +$20 bid.  I don't know whether to feel sorry for the poor bloke, but he slipped up badly in how he described the unit.  It should have gone for around $200 - $250.    

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page