Would Making This Change Upgrade My Music Experience? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 11-23-2013, 05:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Good Morning Fine AVS Folks,

I am currently using a Marantz SR7400 receiver to power 2 Polk RTi 10's in 2 channel stereo mode. I am contemplating a purchase of an NAD 356bee with the built-in DAC. I run all my hi-def audio from my computer via TOS link into my receiver. I am really attracted tot he 2 channel stereo setup with digital inputs. Is moving from the SR-7400 to the 356bee DAC an upgrade I will easily notice?

I want to upgrade my speakers next. Maybe I am doing it all wrong and I should be upgrading my speakers first. For speakers I have been considering the Ascend Sierra's, MA Silver RX-6, and Dynaudio X12/16. I am trying to keep that cost to around $1k. I auditioned the Dynaudio x12's powered by a Rega Brio and was floored by that combo, really big deep sound out of those little guys! And the MA RX-6's also seemed fantastic from my listening experience.

I see lots of discussion on here lately about just using cheap receivers vs. separates and the whole integrated stereo amps are just receivers with half the pieces chucked into the scrap heap.

My local hi-fi dealers here seem to be of the philosophy of get the best signal you possible can to the speakers first. So upgrade your electronics and then the speakers.

I guess my ears can tell me but with so many moving parts(changing electronics and speakers from place to place), changing components no real way to do a complete apples to apples comparison it is just hard for me to tell. smile.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 11-23-2013, 05:32 AM
FMW
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfzum1 View Post

Good Morning Fine AVS Folks,

I am currently using a Marantz SR7400 receiver to power 2 Polk RTi 10's in 2 channel stereo mode. I am contemplating a purchase of an NAD 356bee with the built-in DAC. I run all my hi-def audio from my computer via TOS link into my receiver. I am really attracted tot he 2 channel stereo setup with digital inputs. Is moving from the SR-7400 to the 356bee DAC an upgrade I will easily notice?

Only if you expect to. In a blind test you wouldn't be able to tell one from another.

Quote:
My local hi-fi dealers here seem to be of the philosophy of get the best signal you possible can to the speakers first. So upgrade your electronics and then the speakers.

He says that to motivate you to buy something from him. He knows as well as I do that the speakers and room acoustics are what matter, not the electronics.
post #3 of 4 Old 11-23-2013, 05:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So in my case I would be better served by upgrading my speakers before my electronics.

That begs the question of whether or not the jump from the Polk RTi 10 to the MA RX-6 or Sierra 1 is significant? Or am I just moving sideways and need to jump up in the ranges to really feel the difference?

I actually feel like I upgraded the sound(FLAC rips) noticeably today by moving away from WMP and switching to Foobar using WASAPI over TOSLINK connection to the Marantz. Apparently there are lots of other concerns when moving to digital music sourced from a PC. I have so much to learn, listen and experiment with...its lots of fun.
post #4 of 4 Old 11-23-2013, 05:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfzum1 View Post

That begs the question of whether or not the jump from the Polk RTi 10 to the MA RX-6 or Sierra 1 is significant? Or am I just moving sideways and need to jump up in the ranges to really feel the difference?

There's a real difference between speakers in terms of their sonics. With that being said, what sounds good to one person may not sound good to someone else. As FMW said, the listening environment will play a factor in how the speakers sound as well. Your best bet is to audition new speakers in your own listening environment.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Marantz

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page