How to measure AVR pre-outs for clipping? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 11-25-2013, 07:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 587 Post(s)
Liked: 389
I'm trying to optimize the gain structure of my AVR and amp and I want to measure the pre-outs of my AVR to see where the point of clipping occurs. I have REW and Omnimic software on laptops and a Tascam USB interface for my condensor mic.

Can I use REW or Omnimic and the Tascam to measure the pre-outs for clipping. If so, how do I do that?

If not, what equipment/software do I need/

Thanks very much!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 11-26-2013, 06:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I think this may be the wrong place for this, but if anyone happens to catch this on the bump that could give me some guidance, I'd appreciate it.

Turns out I can't find my Tascam USB interface so I will have to buy something new. But I think I"ll wait for guidance so I can buy the right tool for the job.
post #3 of 7 Old 11-26-2013, 06:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked: 1178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooddoc View Post

I think this may be the wrong place for this, but if anyone happens to catch this on the bump that could give me some guidance, I'd appreciate it.

Turns out I can't find my Tascam USB interface so I will have to buy something new. But I think I"ll wait for guidance so I can buy the right tool for the job.

Your AVR might put out up to 10 volts RMS or more on its line outputs before it clips. Most audio interfaces that lack passive input level controls will clip well before that.

I use attenuators of various kinds ranging from 5 K ohm 2 watt potentiometers to custom built fixed resistor attenuators for this purpose.

http://www.jameco.com/1/1/816-rv4naysd502a-rv4-potentiometer-53c35k-5k-ohm-2-watt-10.html

I've also used these:

http://www.amazon.com/Hosa-Female-Male-Input-Attenuator/dp/B000K67U52

I use the audio interface to observe for clipping. I then use an actual DVM to measure the voltage.

http://www.amazon.com/UNI-T-Digital-Ranging-Multimeters-Multitester/dp/B007THZMWi

post #4 of 7 Old 11-26-2013, 09:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks Arnyk!

I use a pro amp so I have the flexibility to optimize my gain structure directly without the need for attenuators. I would like to not just measure max voltage but see when clipping starts and perhaps even where significant distortion starts prior to actual clipping.
post #5 of 7 Old 11-26-2013, 10:50 AM
FMW
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 470 Post(s)
Liked: 830
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooddoc View Post

Thanks Arnyk!

I use a pro amp so I have the flexibility to optimize my gain structure directly without the need for attenuators. I would like to not just measure max voltage but see when clipping starts and perhaps even where significant distortion starts prior to actual clipping.

The best approach would be to get hold of an oscilloscope. That will measure the voltage and allow you see any clipping visually at the same time.
post #6 of 7 Old 11-26-2013, 11:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMW View Post

The best approach would be to get hold of an oscilloscope. That will measure the voltage and allow you see any clipping visually at the same time.

Never an oscilliscope around when you need one! biggrin.gif

Mmmm, I'll need to look into that
post #7 of 7 Old 11-26-2013, 03:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 103
not sure if your pro amp has clipping meters, but my crown does. what I have done is disconnect your speakers and set your avr/preamp to reference or what ever max level you would go to and slowly increase your channels gain until it just starts to clip and then back off a hair. use 50-60hz test tone or some heavy music. although, not exact science I've come pretty close into dialing it in.

Habit Forming....Wallet Burning Hobby....

64" Samsung F8500 Plasma
55" Samsung B8500 Full Array Lcd
Channel Master Dvr
Onkyo 818
Crown xls-2000
Sony Blu-Ray 790
Svs Ultra Towers/Center, Energy Rc-50 Surround
Svs Pb-13 Ultra Sub
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors