Anyone file a claim against a shipper? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 20 Old 11-26-2013, 04:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I won an ebay auction for a Pioneer Elite receiver and It was shipped via UPS. When it arrived two of the binding posts were bent and cracked and one of the feet had broken off. It was shipped in a Denon 4520 box (nice upgrade I guess) but I think it could have used a little more bubble wrap around it. Still, it probably should have arrived safely. It still works, even the broken speaker posts although I wouldn't use that way for very long, and the feet can be easily replaced.

I've never filed a claim against a shipping company and would like to know what to expect going in. The only other time I've received a damage item it was clearly a poor packing issue and the seller offered me a full refund.

So, how do I know how much to ask for? Do I need to get a repair estimate first? Are they going to just take my word for it? Is there anything specific i should do or not do? Is it better for the buyer or the seller to file the claim? Is it better to file on-line or in person.

I've taken pictures and kept the box and packing materials.

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 11-26-2013, 04:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 33
I'd go after the seller on Ebay, for the crappy packaging.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 20 Old 11-26-2013, 04:52 PM - Thread Starter

It wasn't really that crappy but i have considered it.

post #4 of 20 Old 11-26-2013, 05:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Go back to the seller..
UPS will just blow you off...
Unless there is serious, visible damage to the carton.
The external/internal packing varies depending upon brand/model, as it needs to fit that specific unit. If not, the unit can shift during shipment causing pressure on the terminals breaking them.
Even if the package was handled roughly..
The best bet is to have taken the unit to a UPS store and have them pack it then you have a recourse..

Just my $0.05.... 👍😉
post #5 of 20 Old 11-26-2013, 06:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Did the box look damaged at all? If so go to ups. If it's not, then go to the seller.

post #6 of 20 Old 11-26-2013, 07:43 PM

Liked: 22
I filed a claim against UPS once, and it was simple... BUT.. I had my receiver packed by the UPS STORE themselves. I was sending a receiver in for a firmware update, and as soon as it got to the shop, they called me and told me the feet were broken off. It was likely an easy fix, but i got the amount I insured it for in a matter of weeks.

I can tell you now that if that box was not insured, you are going to get nothing from UPS. Had it been packed properly, it would hav ebeen ok. That is a shipper issue, not uPS issue.
post #7 of 20 Old 11-26-2013, 08:04 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks guys. The box doesn't show any evidence of damage and the 4520's packing material wasn't used, just a little bubble wrap and some other stuff. And obviously not enough of it. I re-packaged it the way it arrived and there was definently some sliding going on in there so it looks like it was a "crappy packaging' issue. Looks like a partical refund is in order.

I'm really only concerned about the binding posts. They still work but I'd have a much harder time finding a buyer for it later on. The foot is a none issue. I might be able to glue it back together, or buy something off ebay (hopefully they will package them properly tongue.gif ) or get some of these.

The increase in resolution was mindboggling. $699 each.

Or, maybe not.
post #8 of 20 Old 11-26-2013, 08:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 19
It's a seller issue - send them a message about it. For all you know the seller broke it before shipping it and after they took photos. UPS can also blow you off because the carton was reused rather than new, and if there was no insurance, they'd only pay you $100 or so. And if the carton wasn't damaged, all the more. Plus, the thing is, the money goes to the person who paid them, not you, so the seller will get the money and they're supposed to refund you.

Yes, as someone who's made claims, it's really a big ripoff.

Your best bet is to talk to the seller - they may go above and beyond to help you out.
post #9 of 20 Old 11-26-2013, 08:39 PM - Thread Starter

"Plus, the thing is, the money goes to the person who paid them, not you, so the seller will get the money and they're supposed to refund you."

Never thought about that. Also, I forgot to add that the shipping was free. This has all been very enlightening.
post #10 of 20 Old 11-27-2013, 08:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 56
I would have sent the seller an additional $8 to cover the cost of Styrofoam blocks. Everyone knows that UPS practices the Caber toss with packages.

HD-DVD = 94
Blu-Ray = 120 ( 24 Warner red2blu )
post #11 of 20 Old 11-27-2013, 04:58 PM - Thread Starter

Actually, i should have pleaded with him to use Fedex and not to use UPS. And I'm a Teamster! eek.gif Well, not really. But they still take $50 a month out of my paycheck.

Besides, you shouldn't have to pay extra to get someone to pack things properly. And he might have just pocketed the $8 and still shipped it the same way. Like I said, a real learning experience. My first "damaged" receiver.
post #12 of 20 Old 11-27-2013, 05:15 PM

Liked: 22
I worked for UPS while in college. There is nothing wrong with UPS, but when someone ships a heavy package and packs it like ****, your results are to be expected. had it been packed correctly, nothing would have happened to you receiver.
post #13 of 20 Old 11-27-2013, 07:00 PM - Thread Starter

I like Fedex better more for location and ease of use but you're right. The shipper dropped the ball on this one.
post #14 of 20 Old 11-27-2013, 11:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 51
I would return the item and if the seller won't accept the return file a dispute with paypal. They will refund your money as soon as the item tracking shows delivered.
post #15 of 20 Old 11-27-2013, 11:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 174
^ yeah i would agree. i'd be super pissed at that. its is a sensitive piece of electronics. who knows what shook loose internally. i've seen socks wrapped in more bubble wrap!!

if you return, pack it super tight wrapping all around receiver with a couple layers of bubble (not just small squares placed on top/sides) and add more bubble to completely fill in the box so it won't do any shifting... to show seller how he should have done it.

sorry you are having to go thru this... we all live and learn!

Samsung PN51F8500. Marantz SR5008. Oppo BDP 103D. Sony BDP S5100. Emp Tek E55TIB LR, E5CIB, E55WIB. Sennheiser Momentum. Sennheiser 598.
post #16 of 20 Old 11-28-2013, 12:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Message the seller and ask for a return. If he says yes, return it. If he refuses to take it back, open a paypal claim saying he refused to take the item back. In that case you generally keep the item and get a refund as well. Assuming you paid by paypal or via credit card.
post #17 of 20 Old 11-28-2013, 06:17 AM

Liked: 10
The lesson here is keep all the original packaging for your gear.
post #18 of 20 Old 11-28-2013, 08:41 AM

Liked: 11
You bought it through e-bay, so go through e-bay to return it, get it repaired or get a partial refund. E-bay will side with the buyer 90% of the time. The seller know's it, and if he tries to dodge you, E-bay will give you the refund and send him to collections. I would file the claim soon though, just in case the seller drags it out.
post #19 of 20 Old 11-28-2013, 01:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljmart View Post

^ yeah i would agree. i'd be super pissed at that. its is a sensitive piece of electronics. who knows what shook loose internally. i've seen socks wrapped in more bubble wrap!!

if you return, pack it super tight wrapping all around receiver with a couple layers of bubble (not just small squares placed on top/sides) and add more bubble to completely fill in the box so it won't do any shifting... to show seller how he should have done it.

I wouldn't even bother with that. Pack it back exactly how it was shipped to you and return it. They aren't going to admire your return packing job. Do not spend any additional money on packing materials. Do not attempt to get it repaired. It's not worth the headache. Get your money back while you still can.
post #20 of 20 Old 11-28-2013, 02:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank_PD View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljmart View Post

I wouldn't even bother with that. Pack it back exactly how it was shipped to you and return it. They aren't going to admire your return packing job. Do not spend any additional money on packing materials. Do not attempt to get it repaired. It's not worth the headache. Get your money back while you still can.

good point! agree, return it.

Samsung PN51F8500. Marantz SR5008. Oppo BDP 103D. Sony BDP S5100. Emp Tek E55TIB LR, E5CIB, E55WIB. Sennheiser Momentum. Sennheiser 598.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page