The "Official" Onkyo TX-NR929 Owner's Thread - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 498 Old 04-05-2014, 10:08 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I have a possible seller for a used TX-NR709 for $250CAD, i this is a good price for this receiver? Itll drive a set of Klipsch RF-82s and RC-62 (which i may be buying from the same guy).

I'm just wondering if its "future proof" enough - if i need to worry about 4K (i have a 60" Panasonic ST50 which ill be keeping until OLED is viable) , or if there are any smart features i need
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 498 Old 04-05-2014, 10:53 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Need a little clarification guru's.. My plan is to run 9.2 and also power other speakers in the home with zone 2 or 3. I will set the front soundstage with front highs as I'm not able to accommodate wides. I will have surround sides and backs. If I'm reading the manual correctly, I would power the rest of the home speakers with "Zone 2" and turn that on in the menu (page 65). This would allow me to run 9.2 with front highs, and allow zone 2 to power the rest of the home speakers on another audio source (analog or Net/USB), is this correct? Also, I have a separate amp available to use if needed, if that would allow better use of the 929 system. Does this sound correct? Please and thank you!
post #273 of 498 Old 04-05-2014, 10:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by sumik View Post

Yeah I got 19'' of depth to work with, I think I should be ok.
HDMI is not a problem as you can buy 90o elbow, speaker connection you can just hookup right away without banana plugs, power cord should be ok with the right angle..
I think the worst one will be subwoofer RCA connection, I think it's gonna stick out the farthest, hopefully it will fit smile.gif

They do sell right angle RCA adapters too. You could get one for your subs if needed.

http://www.amazon.com/DB-Link-LC102-Right-Angle-Adapter/dp/B001NCDBLO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1396762437&sr=8-1&keywords=rca+right+angle
sumik likes this.

1 Mitsubishi WD-82642 82" TV
1 Onkyo TX-NR929 11.4 setup
2 Emotiva XPA-5's
1 Emotiva XPA-100
1 Definitive Technology CLR 3000 (Center)
2 Definitive Technology BP2004TL's (Mains)
2 Definitive Technology ProMonitor 1000's (Heights)
6 Definitive Technology BPX's (Rears Wides Sides)
4 CHT VS-18.1 Subs
post #274 of 498 Old 04-06-2014, 04:43 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by yadfgp View Post

They do sell right angle RCA adapters too. You could get one for your subs if needed.

http://www.amazon.com/DB-Link-LC102-Right-Angle-Adapter/dp/B001NCDBLO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1396762437&sr=8-1&keywords=rca+right+angle

Thanks, I did not think they they would make right angle RCA smile.gif
yadfgp likes this.
post #275 of 498 Old 04-07-2014, 11:10 AM

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGierke View Post

With the TX-NR929 has anyone experienced periodic (like maybe once an hour) drop-outs of audio that lasts maybe a second or two then bounces back with video unaffected?

I will be schizo for a moment here and respond to my own post for the record. Yesterday Time Warner (ughh I know) gave me a Cisco 8742HDC DVR to try as a replacement for the Samsung 3270 that was having the sound dropouts. By golly I think that may have been the problem because the Cisco played like 10 hours with no problem I will be keeping my fingers crossed. It's a nice DVR and has a small footprint.

Lttrader likes this.
post #276 of 498 Old 04-08-2014, 05:11 AM

Liked: 12
Bought 929 yesterday, killer deal, couldn't pass up, $895+tax
It's actually not running hot at all, I made a post about keeping it in a tight cabinet, it has maybe 0.2 inch space on both sides, 1 inch in back and around 2-3inches on top.
I kept the front door open not to close it in, and it's running just barely warm, great.

Will move this to basement soon and get it working with IR so it can have more ventilation, just in case.
post #277 of 498 Old 04-08-2014, 11:25 PM

A lot of people have been saying that the 929 should run cooler but it seems just as hot as all of the older Onkyos as far as I can tell. They seem to get alarmingly hot before the fan kicks in.
post #278 of 498 Old 04-09-2014, 03:39 AM

Hi guys,

I just received my onkyo 929 and I have a question regarding the HDMI out settings.

I'm connecting to the receiver a TV (Main out) + Benq W1070 3D projector (Sub).

The only option to watch 3D content from my HTPC is to switch the settings from Monitor out to Sub. It's a bit annoying.

Is there a way to use the setting Both? I there something that i'm missing here?

post #279 of 498 Old 04-09-2014, 06:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redmist View Post

A lot of people have been saying that the 929 should run cooler but it seems just as hot as all of the older Onkyos as far as I can tell. They seem to get alarmingly hot before the fan kicks in.

I'm surprised to read this....

From what I have read at least from the owners in this thread, the 929 runs very cool. Mine has been running very cool the last 6 months or so that I've owned mine. Mine has never ever gotten anywhere near alarmingly hot.

Do you have any specific links that you can post that support your case?

1 Mitsubishi WD-82642 82" TV
1 Onkyo TX-NR929 11.4 setup
2 Emotiva XPA-5's
1 Emotiva XPA-100
1 Definitive Technology CLR 3000 (Center)
2 Definitive Technology BP2004TL's (Mains)
2 Definitive Technology ProMonitor 1000's (Heights)
6 Definitive Technology BPX's (Rears Wides Sides)
4 CHT VS-18.1 Subs
post #280 of 498 Old 04-10-2014, 07:49 AM

Quote:

I owned an 808 which had a reputation for running quite warm and the 929 is slotted in directly where it was. After watching a movie I placed my hand over it and it felt much the same as the 808 felt after a movie i.e. very warm. That's the limit of my evidence. Is there any documented proof that the 929 runs cooler?
post #281 of 498 Old 04-10-2014, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGrimble View Post

Hi guys,

I just received my onkyo 929 and I have a question regarding the HDMI out settings.

I'm connecting to the receiver a TV (Main out) + Benq W1070 3D projector (Sub).

The only option to watch 3D content from my HTPC is to switch the settings from Monitor out to Sub. It's a bit annoying.

Is there a way to use the setting Both? I there something that i'm missing here?

Hi MrGrimble,

Today is my first day with the Onkyo 929. It´s amazing.

We have exactly the same components. I´have tested 2d and 3d films with the Benq W1070 projector and my Htpc with PowerDVD. No problems setting Monitor Out to Both, all ok.

After four hours testing keep cold and no fans working,  I cant´t believe it.

I´m not happy with the Hdmi outs. I would like, hdmi pass trought, upconversion or rescaling and OSD menus in both outputs and not only in the Main one but it was too late to cancel my Amazon purchase....but i really wanted this receivers instead the Denon X4000.

Not wifi conection after five attempts. Something wrong with the  PS3 in stanby mode (hdmi pass trought): drops o both video and audio ????

Tomorrow i´ll try firmware update by and Usb pen.

Bye.

post #282 of 498 Old 04-10-2014, 01:11 PM

Liked: 35
Mine seemed to run quite warm. I don't have the luxury of being able to provide what I consider adequate venting, so I added two sets of fans to the back of the hutch that are cooling quite nicely.

Seth-o-Plex 11.2! - LG | Onkyo| Mirage | SVS
post #283 of 498 Old 04-10-2014, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jipjap View Post

Hi MrGrimble,

Today is my first day with the Onkyo 929. It´s amazing.

We have exactly the same components. I´have tested 2d and 3d films with the Benq W1070 projector and my Htpc with PowerDVD. No problems setting Monitor Out to Both, all ok.

After four hours testing keep cold and no fans working,  I cant´t believe it.

I´m not happy with the Hdmi outs. I would like, hdmi pass trought, upconversion or rescaling and OSD menus in both outputs and not only in the Main one but it was too late to cancel my Amazon purchase....but i really wanted this receivers instead the Denon X4000.

Not wifi conection after five attempts. Something wrong with the  PS3 in stanby mode (hdmi pass trought): drops o both video and audio ????

Tomorrow i´ll try firmware update by and Usb pen.

Bye.

Hi jipjap,

I'm glad your'e enjoying the 929.

I'm also playing 3D content with PDVD (On Windows 7 - 64 bit), but for some reason It only works on SUB mode.

I don't want to use the Benq as Main Out because I don't want to lose the OSD.

Is your'e TV also in 3D? perhaps that's my problem?

Any help will be appreciated.  

post #284 of 498 Old 04-10-2014, 02:33 PM

No my tv is just 1080p, but the Onkyo works. My Benq firmware release is the 1.04, I am thinking to upgrade it but at the moment it works fine.

I want OSD on tv too but I think it will be better in a future use the projector as Main for rescaling non 1080p films. It´s a pity these Onkyo limitations.

Thanks.

post #285 of 498 Old 04-11-2014, 01:14 AM

Quote:

I'm surprised to read this....

From what I have read at least from the owners in this thread, the 929 runs very cool. Mine has been running very cool the last 6 months or so that I've owned mine. Mine has never ever gotten anywhere near alarmingly hot.

Well as an owner of the device I can say that it did get very hot but only while I was calibrating and testing the device. Since then ( and i check almost every time ) it is amazingly cold even after a 3h movie. One more thing, after the test session, I read some calibration and configuration threads and then I changed the crossover point to 80hz ( all speaker ). Maybe and I am guessing here, it has something to do with it.

The1shark
post #286 of 498 Old 04-12-2014, 09:10 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 40
Component temperature by hand is relative. Using my temp gun on my Onkyo/Integra components showed the hottest point was indeed right over the HDMI board. In fact my Integra DTC 9.8 pre-pro without amps ran about 130 to 135 degrees under the same conditions for my TX-NR 929 that ran about 105 to 109 degrees. Though Onkyo made note of my temp readings they were non-committal about HDMI board changes.

As to dimensioning, typically they are the three dimensions of the smallest box the component will fit in without accessories attached. Your current and future connections should figure in the equation.

The price drop might coincide with the high end Onkyo receivers finally coming to market. And that is probably tied in to the launch of HDMI 2.0 and the 4K roll out.

BTW I bought one of the first 929s and it has been flawless. I've since added GoldenEar Triton 7 L&R and Super Center X and my system has never sounded this good. Part of the improvement can be attributed to Audyssey MultEQ XT32 that my otherwise great sounding Integra doesn't have (MultiEQ XT). I notice it most in the tightness and smoothness of the bass. I'm currently running 7.1 with highs. Initially ran 9.1 with wides. I had the wides in a more complicated system with Meridians L&R. I need to figure out how to get them back in my theater.

I was ready to spend Integra money but at the time everything seemed dated compared to the 929. Maybe that's about to change.

Patrick
post #287 of 498 Old 04-14-2014, 11:14 PM

OK, So I just got a 929. I haven't had much time with it so I cannot give a thorough review but want to contribute to this thread. I will start by saying thatI am very impressed so far.

I retired my SR805 mainly to get HDMI 1.4. I did a bit of research and narrowed by choices down to the Pioneer SC-79 (for its class D amps), the Denon x4000 (because its always the answer given when someone asks what receiver to buy), and the Onkyo NR929 (for its features and my good experience with the SR805). I started to lean toward the Denon x3000 because I have no need for multi-room but the extra power and features of the NR929 were worth the $100.00 price difference.

Out of the box, the first thing I liked was the set up. I remember back on '07 when I unboxed my SR805, plugged it into the TV and got an on screen menu that was pixellated and offset by 50%, making it unusable. On screen menus were more of a gimmick at that time anyway so I didn't mind. I disabled it and never thought about it again. This time around was another experience. Initial configuration was a joy and its actually useful beyond set up as decent media center.

Next, Audysssey XT32. I honestly didn't think there would be much improvement over older versions but man was I wrong. The only piece of gear I changed was this receiver but it sounds like I replaced my entire set up. I am blown away by the fact that I was able to improve the sound quality as much as I have without buying new speakers. Even with new speakers, its difficult to get decent sound in a big square room with hard floors but the XT32 calibration nailed it.

Video passthrough has been fine as well. I haven't needed to up convert anything, nor do I have a 4k TV so all I have to contribute is that 1080p picture quality is at least as good. I too have a Samsung, like a previous poster, but haven't messed with Anynet+, or even had time to set up my remote. 

Oh ya, my remote. Let me go down a little tangent. I'll be brief. Logitech, you suck! Why do you think you can sell remote controls for nearly the same price as a game console and not even test it on OS X? And then go months with not even an attempt at a patch? Please fix your janky Silverlight-based web app! Ok, I'm done.

OK so that rant is a good segue into the one negative thing I have to say about my receiver upgrade. And that's DLNA support.  I worded that as to not single out the NR929 because all AVR receivers on the market today, only support audio streaming form a device to the receiver through DLNA. (I read someone Sony has one with limited video support). Earlier I mentioned how the on screen display serves as a decent media center, and it does for audio. You open up the Network Services and are presented with a nice landing screen with icons for Pandora, Spotify, etc. and even DLNA devices and "Home Media". You can then browse to any device on your network and stream music. If it just supported video, it would completely replace the HTPC. And I know it can be done because my Samsung TV does it. I don't get why they are leaving that out.

I am a tech nerd so the last thing I'll talk about connectivity. Here are the devices I have connected, or tried to connect to the NR929. Note: This is first attempt, with no time spent troubleshooting, so I am sure I will get some things working that currently are not

AppleTV, Roku

These obviously connected and worked fine via HDMI

Utilite micro PC with XMBC Media Server

Attempts to connect via HDMI have failed but am certain it is a configuration issue on the Utilite side of things.

WD MyCloud NAS drive

The receiver sees and connects to the device with zero setup via DLNA.  Music streams well but no video!

MacBook Pro

- I don't have a need for the Airplay addon but for grins attempted to connect via bluetooth but connection fails with error, "The device does not have the necessary services". Will need to see if I can manually configure the connection.

- Attempted to connect to the receiver from a terminal using the ISCP spec but have yet to succeed. Supposedly you can issue commands. I assume this is what the Onkyo iPhone app and other third party apps use to interact with the receiver.

IPhone

- Surprisingly my iPhone doesn't see the receiver. Others on this thread haven't had a problem so I am I'll resolve it 2 minutes after I post this.

- Onkyo Remote 2 app. This could not find the receiver either so assuming its an issue with my phone.

Set up (5.1)

------------------------

Onkyo NR-929

B&W 301 (x4)

B&W CC6 Center Speaker

Velodyne EQMax 10" sub

Samsung 60" (ES7500)

AppleTV

Roku

Utilite Micro PC w/ XMBC Media Center

WD MyCloud NAS Storage w/ Twonky Media server

post #288 of 498 Old 04-15-2014, 07:56 AM

One thing that I noticed right away on my TX-NR929 is that the white LED Wi-Fi indicator on the display was glaringly bright compared to the muted green LED's for everything else. I solved this "problem" by applying one of the little Light-Dims appliques (see below) over it and it is now exactly the same brightness as the green LED's and looks great. You literally cannot see the Light-Dim unless you are really looking for it up close. It is easily removable if needed.

~~ http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009WSJNCW/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Lttrader likes this.
post #289 of 498 Old 04-15-2014, 10:22 AM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackdoyle View Post

OK, So I just got a 929. I haven't had much time with it so I cannot give a thorough review but want to contribute to this thread. I will start by saying that
I am very impressed so far.

I retired my SR805 mainly to get HDMI 1.4. I did a bit of research and narrowed by choices down to the Pioneer SC-79 (for its class D amps), the Denon x4000 (because its always the answer given when someone asks what receiver to buy), and the Onkyo NR929 (for its features and my good experience with the SR805). I started to lean toward the Denon x3000 because I have no need for multi-room but the extra power and features of the NR929 were worth the $100.00 price difference.

Out of the box, the first thing I liked was the set up. I remember back on '07 when I unboxed my SR805, plugged it into the TV and got an on screen menu that was pixellated and offset by 50%, making it unusable. On screen menus were more of a 
gimmick at that time anyway so I didn't mind. I disabled it and never thought about it again. This time around was another experience. Initial configuration was a joy and its actually useful beyond set up as decent media center.

Next, Audysssey XT32. I honestly didn't think there would be much improvement over older versions but man was I wrong. The only piece of gear I changed was this receiver but it sounds like I replaced my entire set up. I am blown away by the fact that I was able to improve the sound quality as much as I have without buying new speakers. Even with new speakers, its difficult to get decent sound in a big square room with hard floors but the XT32 calibration nailed it.

Video passthrough has been fine as well. I haven't needed to up convert anything, nor do I have a 4k TV so all I have to contribute is that 1080p picture quality is at least as good. I too have a Samsung, like a previous poster, but haven't messed with Anynet+, or even had time to set up my remote. 

Oh ya, my remote. Let me go down a little tangent. I'll be brief. Logitech, you suck! Why do you think you can sell remote controls for nearly the same price as a game console and not even test it on OS X? And then go months with not even an attempt at a patch? Please fix your janky Silverlight-based web app! Ok, I'm done.

OK so that rant is a good segue into the one negative thing I have to say about my receiver upgrade. And that's DLNA support.  I worded that as to not single out the NR929 because all AVR receivers on the market today, only support audio streaming form a device to the receiver through DLNA. (I read someone Sony has one with limited video support). Earlier I mentioned how the on screen display serves as a decent media center, and it does for audio. You open up the Network Services and are presented with a nice landing screen with icons for Pandora, Spotify, etc. and even DLNA devices and "Home Media". You can then browse to any device on your network and stream music. If it just supported video, it would completely replace the HTPC. And I know it can be done 
because my Samsung TV does it. I don't get why they are leaving that out.

I am a tech nerd so the last thing I'll talk about connectivity. Here are the devices I have connected, or tried to connect to the NR929. Note: This is first attempt, with no time spent troubleshooting, so I am sure I will get some things working that currently are not

AppleTV, Roku
These obviously connected and worked fine via HDMI

Utilite micro PC with XMBC Media Server
Attempts to connect via HDMI have failed but am certain it is a configuration issue on the Utilite side of things.

WD MyCloud NAS drive
The receiver sees and connects to the device with zero setup via DLNA.  Music streams well but no video!

MacBook Pro
- I don't have a need for the Airplay addon but for grins attempted to connect via bluetooth but connection fails with error, "The device does not have the necessary services". Will need to see if I can manually configure the connection.
- Attempted to connect to the receiver from a terminal using the ISCP spec but have yet to succeed. Supposedly you can issue commands. I assume this is what the Onkyo iPhone app and other third party apps use to interact with the receiver.

IPhone
- Surprisingly my iPhone doesn't see the receiver. Others on this thread haven't had a problem so I am I'll resolve it 2 minutes after I post this.
- Onkyo Remote 2 app. This could not find the receiver either so assuming its an issue with my phone.

Set up (5.1)
Onkyo NR-929
B&W 301 (x4)
B&W CC6 Center Speaker
Velodyne EQMax 10" sub
Samsung 60" (ES7500)
AppleTV
Roku
Utilite Micro PC w/ XMBC Media Center
WD MyCloud NAS Storage w/ Twonky Media server

Keep me updated on what you think of the 929. I have a Onkyo 705 with a similar setup as you do and like you am thinking up upgrading to the 929.
post #290 of 498 Old 04-15-2014, 02:54 PM

Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackdoyle View Post

IPhone

Make sure Bluetooth is enabled on your iPhone, then flip down the 929 front face and press the Bluetooth button. My IP5 connected and I was able to play music from it.
Quote:
Onkyo Remote 2 app. This could not find the receiver either so assuming its an issue with my phone.

Make sure Wifi is enabled on your iPhone and it's on the same subnet as your 929.

I already had a CAT5 run for my previous receiver, so I just went with that instead of setting up the 929 Wifi. The app works to some extent, but is no replacement for my Harmony.

Seth-o-Plex 11.2! - LG | Onkyo| Mirage | SVS
post #291 of 498 Old 04-16-2014, 12:25 AM

i haven't  seen the fans running yet, It´s that Ok? How do they work? The receiver sometimes looks hot and colder after a while so I guess they work...

post #292 of 498 Old 04-16-2014, 06:47 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 40
If your thinking about getting a 929 and were impressed by what some of us have said about the Audyssey MultiEQ XT32, now might be the time. From the new TX-NR838 on down, the receivers are devoid of any Audyssey functions. They now incorporate their proprietary AccuEQ for room/speaker optimization.

No mention of a TX-NR939 nor 1011, 3011 and 5011 or whatever their going to be called. Maybe HDMI 2.0 is the delay.

Patrick
post #293 of 498 Old 04-16-2014, 07:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 305
AccuEQ

"To showcase the unique acoustical characteristics of your front loudspeakers, AccuEQ bypasses the front two channels so you can enjoy authentic hi-fi audio quality for stereo music, with no DSP correction applied.

Instead, the included microphone measures the distances, crossovers, and output levels of the surround and center speakers from one easy listening position, which speeds up and simplifies the calibration process. With room correction complete, you can enjoy perfect clarity and three-dimensional cohesion when playing multichannel movie soundtracks, and natural high-fidelity performance for stereo listening."

Huh? So it applies correction to the center and surrounds and skips the mains eek.gif What's the point? Also doesn't mention anything about the sub. Makes HK's EZSetEQ seem sophisticated.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Harman Kardon AVR 1600
PS3, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Qattron
post #294 of 498 Old 04-17-2014, 04:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jipjap View Post

i haven't  seen the fans running yet, It´s that Ok? How do they work? The receiver sometimes looks hot and colder after a while so I guess they work...

There are apparently two fans located right behind the faceplate that aim downward through the base of the receiver. I have listened and cannot hear them which is cool (so to speak). This is what it looks like from the top with the hood open.

Lttrader likes this.
post #295 of 498 Old 04-22-2014, 06:32 AM

Hello together,

I am new here and I am planing to buy a 929 the next weeks. Till now I got Onkyo equipment and I am very well satisfied.

Before buying the Amp I want to be "sure" not to get any troubles with it - especially the HDMI board. I already found some threads in other forums where people got their HDMI boards repaired of their 929.AVR. I hoped this problem is solved by Onkyo but it is maybe not? Maybe its not a very common problem any more. 

Unfortunately its not possible to get any information about that from Onkyo (I know some of you really tried - thanks for that!) 

So my question to you is: How satisfied are you with your 929 (without reading all the hundred pages ;) ) and do you have any problems with it? And how long do you already own your Amp?

Thank you in advance!

P,S. Great forum, It helped me a lot - nice to read. Please excuse my bad English, greetings from Poland 

post #296 of 498 Old 04-22-2014, 07:07 AM

Liked: 16
I have had the 929 for two weeks after Onkyo replaced an 809 that I had a little over 2 years with 2 HDMI board failures and was also recalled. The 929 is powerful and the sound is phenomenal. After coming from Audyssey MultiEQ XT, Audyssey MultiEQ XT32 brings a tighter bass and my room acoustics are just unreal. After setting up my room I demoed War of Worlds on Blu- Ray. Jawdropping Surround! Wifi connected smoothly on my home wireless, ISF calibration is equal to what I had from the 809 and bluetooth was a breeze connecting to my Galaxy Note 3. My only grip is I wish you could pair bluetooth devices with the remote instead of pairing with the button on the unit.

Onkyo has made up for the problems I had with the 809 but time will tell with HDMI issues.
post #297 of 498 Old 04-22-2014, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgater View Post
. My only grip is I wish you could pair bluetooth devices with the remote instead of pairing with the button on the unit.

Hello dgater, 

thank you for your reply - now I got just 2 other questions :)

1) Bluetooth: I guess the paring has to be done only one time? But how do I switch then to Bluetotoh as Audio-Imput? There seems to be no Button for that.I have allready told my wife she can easy use their notebook to listen to music without any cableing.. I hope I was right :)

2) HDMI issues:I have read in another forum (unfortunately German -> http://www.hifi-forum.de/index.php?action=browseT&forum_id=272&thread=4593&postID=73#73 ) that Onkyo used in the old AVR´s  cheap electrolytic capacitor that cannot handle the heat. Has anyone an idea if they are still using the same elco´s? As I understand they used Elco´s that are only designed to a temperature of maximum 85 ° Celsius - the next-step better one´s can handle 105 ° Celsius. 

I am no expert on that but maybe someone who is could check that or has allready checked that - would be really interesting - someone who is able to comapare the old HDMI-board design and components with the new one. 

post #298 of 498 Old 04-23-2014, 10:37 AM

Hi, I need some advice please ..
I calibrated my 929 with Audyssey , set crossover to 80hz for all speakers ( 5.1 setup ) , set my LFE crossover to 120hz. I am using this setup for movies and I am very pleased with it
Now let say I want to use another source for music ( cd player ). I want Audyssey but I don't want to use my sub only my 2 front speaker. As far as I understand, they are crossed at 80hz... So how do I managed between 2 sources or 2 modes that requires different crossover settings ?

Thanks in advanced

The1shark
post #299 of 498 Old 04-24-2014, 10:49 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 27

Have you tried pushing the "Pure Audio" button on the left side of the front of the 929?  That will give 2 channel, but it will probably by-pass Audyssey too. (Do you need Audyssey when just playing 2 channel stereo?)

post #300 of 498 Old 04-24-2014, 12:07 PM

As you said, it will bypass Audyssey. 

1. will the pure audio button override the crossover setting ?

2. Is there a way to keep Audyssey and bypass crossover setting  ?

3. What everyone else do ? I can't be the only person in this situation ..

Thanks 

the1shark

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Nr929 9 2 Channel Network A V Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page