post #361 of 543 Old 05-19-2014, 01:14 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99rook99 View Post

I own a 929 and want to use/try the wide speakers for a 11.2 configuration. Can I just use an old AVR to power those speakers, as I don't want to buy and amp and not like using wides.
Try to set up your AVR as close as possible to a straight wire hook up as possible or just like a power amp. All manipulation should be in the 929.

Patrick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 543 Old 05-19-2014, 01:24 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Collins View Post

Try to set up your AVR as close as possible to a straight wire hook up as possible or just like a power amp. All manipulation should be in the 929.
That is what I was going to do, I just wasn't sure that it would work the way I wanted to.
post #363 of 543 Old 05-25-2014, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGierke View Post

One thing that I noticed right away on my TX-NR929 is that the white LED Wi-Fi indicator on the display was glaringly bright compared to the muted green LED's for everything else. I solved this "problem" by applying one of the little Light-Dims appliques (see below) over it and it is now exactly the same brightness as the green LED's and looks great. You literally cannot see the Light-Dim unless you are really looking for it up close. It is easily removable if needed.

~~ http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009WSJNCW/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Why not just press the dim button on the onkyo remote control.
post #364 of 543 Old 05-25-2014, 04:27 PM

Quote:

That is what I was going to do, I just wasn't sure that it would work the way I wanted to.

Interesting idea. I just replaced my 805 with the 929 yesterday and haven't decided what to do with the 805. It never occurred to me that I could use the 805 as an amp for extra speakers. BTW I also have DirecTV and never had dropouts with my 805 other then when I was changing channels. After watching a few movies yesterday and some regular television I never saw any dropouts with the 929 either. The first thing I did before setup was update the firmware. I know the emphasis on the dropouts is on DirecTVs equipment so I am wondering what receiver model people are having their issues with. Mine is a HR34. I'm also using a Asus RT-AC68R router. I would also like to add that my first impressions of the 929 are very positive. My 805 was one of the earliest models that I pre-ordered from J&R. I have never had any issues and it still works with no issues. I almost got the 818 last year when they where so cheap until I read about the HDMI issues so chose to wait until the 929's dropped to under a thousand.
post #365 of 543 Old 05-25-2014, 07:23 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsutter71 View Post

Why not just press the dim button on the onkyo remote control.

The problem is that the Wi-Fi indicator (white) is many times brighter than the rest of the LED display in green. By the time you have the white Wi-Fi down display where you want it, the green main display is essentially "off". I used the Light-Dims from Amazon based on this recommendation and it worked perfect.

post #366 of 543 Old 05-26-2014, 07:36 PM
Advanced Member

While checking settings on my 929 today I clicked on :"update" and right away thought it was going to tell me I'm running the latest version. But NO. It did the latest update. I mention this because I thought updates were automatic, unless I'm confusing it with another component.

BTW my version is ...0101. Also I checked "update notification" and it was "enabled". but I didn't get a notification.

Also can I assume you guys are having the issue with the WiFi LED because you're connected wirelessly? I'm hardwired and don't see any white LED.

Patrick
post #367 of 543 Old 05-27-2014, 02:48 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 979 Post(s)
Liked: 1494
Quote:

I own a 929 and want to use/try the wide speakers for a 11.2 configuration. Can I just use an old AVR to power those speakers, as I don't want to buy and amp and not like using wides.

As others have noted this will work just fine. For those that don't have an older AVR to use, a 2CH amp like the one linked below works very well ....

http://www.amazon.com/AudioSource-AMP-100-Stereo-Power-Amplifier/dp/B00026BQJ6

---------------------------------
"JD" –
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 

Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Parasound
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #368 of 543 Old 05-27-2014, 07:23 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:

While checking settings on my 929 today I clicked on :"update" and right away thought it was going to tell me I'm running the latest version. But NO. It did the latest update. I mention this because I thought updates were automatic, unless I'm confusing it with another component.

BTW my version is ...0101. Also I checked "update notification" and it was "enabled". but I didn't get a notification.

Also can I assume you guys are having the issue with the WiFi LED because you're connected wirelessly? I'm hardwired and don't see any white LED.

According to the Onkyo USA web site the latest TX-NR929 firmware is still the one dated 2-19-2014. That is the one that I am running.

Yes the white WiFi LED is only lit when you are connected wirelessly.

post #369 of 543 Old 05-27-2014, 09:15 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:

..... mine is 01 as well. I am wirelessly connected so I have the connection lighton. It is not however distracting, nor to me an issue to be concerned with...
post #370 of 543 Old 05-29-2014, 11:49 AM

I have my 929 connected to my Samsung PN64D800 plasma through HDMI and I have it set to through for resolution and custom for picture mode. I have a HTPC, Blu-Ray player and direcTV connected. I am able to get amazing picture quality when I tweak the 929 for my HTPC almost to LED quality whites. Something I was never able to do with my 805. I was able to get amazing picture quality out of my 805 when watching TV and Blu-rays however. Now I seem to have the opposite issue with my 929. My HTPC looks amazing but the television has lost that crispness. My TV is calibrated and I have not changed any of those settings so I would like some advice on the best color settings on the 929 when watching TV. I have been looking for some calibration settings but haven't been able to find any. If anyone has any advice or experience in this please share.
Thanks

The one caveat is when I watch 3D TV on the few DirecTV channels the picture looks amazing.
post #371 of 543 Old 06-03-2014, 04:38 PM

I guess nobody can answer my question but I decided to select bypass in picture mode. Might as well just use the TV's calibration settings.
post #372 of 543 Old 06-03-2014, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turboo2u View Post

New to this thread. Looking at this receiver while my TX-NR3007 is being fixed for the THIRD time, but Onkyo is fixing
it for free again though it's way out of warranty. (HDMI board). Are you folks convinced that this
unit won't have the HDMI board issues
that have plagued all recent Onkyo receivers in another year or so? Has there been a redesign? Thanx!
I have not had any problems at all with mine and it's used constantly I did add two fans though
post #373 of 543 Old 06-04-2014, 01:29 PM

Does anyone know if you can control bass, volume, etc. from a PC?

post #374 of 543 Old 06-04-2014, 02:16 PM

I have mine connected via hdmi and so far the only thing you can do is test tones for surround setup the pc speaker setup sucks use the receivers with the mic
post #375 of 543 Old 06-06-2014, 09:59 AM
Advanced Member

I have a high end ESI sound card in my HTPC but I control what you're talking about in the 929. I would be careful about manipulating the signal on the input side of a receiver. It would be easy to overload it.

What is it you're trying to accomplish?

Patrick
post #376 of 543 Old 06-06-2014, 10:19 AM

I want to control the 929 from my PC, much like the android app does. I know it's possible to run android apps on a PC, but I was hoping there was a better solution.

post #377 of 543 Old 06-06-2014, 11:16 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Try this: http://nonkyo.codeplex.com/. Works will with my 929
post #378 of 543 Old 06-06-2014, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgater View Post

Try this: http://nonkyo.codeplex.com/. Works will with my 929

Thanks, that works for me, would be nice if they add zone support, bass, treble, and subwoofer level adjustments.

post #379 of 543 Old 06-07-2014, 09:24 PM

I have a brand spanking new NR929 right here in front of me.

I am trying it out without hooking all my inputs in, but I wanted to make sure everything is working properly.

I have all my speakers set up.  I am using a PC as my test.  My PC does not have HDMI, which is one of the reasons I chose this specific model, as it has PC IN.

I plugged my TOSLINK cable in for sound, and HERE WE GO!!!

BOOM.

Nothing.  A nice blue screen.

Hmm...what could that be.  Check manual.  Okay.  It expects the input from the PC to be on HDMI6.  It says if you are using the Analog RGB, set the input to -----.  Cool.  Flip through manual.  Figure out how to get to that menu.  Flip the PC input to -----.

Blue screen.

Okay  Who knows...maybe this needs a firmware upgrade.  Set up wireless.  Yes, there's an upgrade.  Let it install.  Upgrade Complete!  Whee!  Now maybe...Nope.

Let's check and see if there's something under the Composite inputs menu.  Try all...nope.  That does nothing.

Please please PLEASE tell me that someone on here is using this input and can help me.

I know the PC is outputting a signal because my TV has a PC input that I was previously using.

What am I doing wrong, if anything, or is my new receiver broken?

Thanks!

post #380 of 543 Old 06-08-2014, 04:32 AM

Liked: 35

Is "BOOM" the audible sound it made?

If so, I would exchange it asap. Something broke.  I'm not sure the RGB input is compatible with a PCs vga output. I never tried it so not sure.

Are you sure all your speakers are connected correctly and not shorted out on either side of the cables?

Why don't you try hooking up a video source like a BD/DVD player or a cable source?

How many speakers did you connect? Maybe try just one at a time to see if there is a bad channel or speaker - process of elimination.

Just some ideas - let us know what you find.:)

Onkyo TX-NR929/11.1 | Outlaw 7125 | Polk:  CSi A6 C | RTi A9 powered by qsc gx5  L&R | tsx110b Ht,Wd,SS and SB | Sub - Rythmik FV15HP | Samsung 60" UN60F8000BF | Samsung BD-F5900 |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #381 of 543 Old 06-08-2014, 08:08 AM

Oh, no...sorry...it didn't make any loud sound or anything.  The unit is working properly for audio.  I just was describing my process as I would if I were speaking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ckindt View Post

Is "BOOM" the audible sound it made?

Oh, no...sorry...it didn't make any loud sound or anything.  The unit is working properly for audio.  I just was describing my process as I would if I were speaking.

Hooking up my Bluray is next on my list.

post #382 of 543 Old 06-08-2014, 08:30 AM

Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomservo84 View Post

Hooking up my Bluray is next on my list.

Good.:)

Sounds like you'll be ok then.

Onkyo TX-NR929/11.1 | Outlaw 7125 | Polk:  CSi A6 C | RTi A9 powered by qsc gx5  L&R | tsx110b Ht,Wd,SS and SB | Sub - Rythmik FV15HP | Samsung 60" UN60F8000BF | Samsung BD-F5900 |
post #383 of 543 Old 06-08-2014, 09:55 AM

Problem solved...I wasn't thinking.  I'm connecting a Linux machine to the TV.  I had the TV EDID information in the xorg.conf file, and I had to put the EDID information for the Onkyo receiver in it's place.

Once I did that, voila...picture!

It's a bit too big for the screen, but that's a Linux issue and I'm investigating it elsewhere.

I've played some things back really quickly to test this unit and I love it!  The audio is so much better than my 7-8 (or more) year old Pioneer.

post #384 of 543 Old 06-09-2014, 07:20 PM

Hi,

I have had the TX-NR929 and have a question that i was hoping somebody might have the answer to.

I specifically purchased this so i could use the HDMI in zone 2 feature.  I have an outdoor theater that i want to drive from this receiver. I have Zone 2 HDMI running outdoors as well as outdoor speakers setup through the zone 2.

I originally set this up and tested with my projector that is only used for video and the outdoor speakers are the audio.  When i set this up a month ago it worked perfectly fine.

Problem:

Recently I went to use it and now when i select my XBOX one as source, my outdoor speakers are only playing the back surround sound. So the center front channel is not being heard through these channels. If i put on a football game the color commentary is absent.  If I play a movie the dialog cannot be heard.

I have tried changing output to stereo front speakers ony, even mono, turning off main output, but nothing seems to fix it.  

Any ideas what has happened? as far as i know i havent changed anything since i originally set this up, when i know it was working.

Any help appreciated.

-Tony

post #385 of 543 Old 06-10-2014, 09:37 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 54
I've read through the entire thread and although there were some slight hints to differences between the 818 and 929, nobody was very specific. Those who have used both, I would really like you to chime in here. I recently picked up an 818 and am within the return period. I am considering returning it for the 929. I don't have plans to go 11.2, BUT, I *may* go 9.2 if the capability were there without having to add more external amplification (I currently use separates for my L/R/C and I've run out of room to put stuff). It's mostly the heat and reliability issues of the 818 that have me most concerned. I don't really need built in wifi as I hardwire the receiver, nor do would I really use Bluetooth to stream music (is there anything else I can do with it?). I likely wouldn't use HDMI for a zone two. I do like that it appears with the 929, you can completely bypass video processing, which seems you cannot truly/fully do with the 818? So that's a big bonus. So for me, it's mostly a *maybe* go 9.2 some day, and get away from stinging heat/board failures of the 818. Based on this, is this enough to spend $350 more for the 929?

Also, I wonder, and forgive me if this is a dumb question, but are there any differences between MultiEQ XT32 found on the 929 that what is on the 818? Is the 929's version updated in any way? Or are they more or less the same? And if they are different, how so and would that difference be worth jumping up to the 929, given how little I would use the extras that come with it(Bluetooth, wifi, zone 2 hdmi)? Thanks.

post #386 of 543 Old 06-10-2014, 10:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 269 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by morbidcorpse View Post

I've read through the entire thread and although there were some slight hints to differences between the 818 and 929, nobody was very specific. Those who have used both, I would really like you to chime in here. I recently picked up an 818 and am within the return period. I am considering returning it for the 929. I don't have plans to go 11.2, BUT, I *may* go 9.2 if the capability were there without having to add more external amplification (I currently use separates for my L/R/C and I've run out of room to put stuff). It's mostly the heat and reliability issues of the 818 that have me most concerned. I don't really need built in wifi as I hardwire the receiver, nor do would I really use Bluetooth to stream music (is there anything else I can do with it?). I likely wouldn't use HDMI for a zone two. I do like that it appears with the 929, you can completely bypass video processing, which seems you cannot truly/fully do with the 818? So that's a big bonus. So for me, it's mostly a *maybe* go 9.2 some day, and get away from stinging heat/board failures of the 818. Based on this, is this enough to spend $350 more for the 929?

Also, I wonder, and forgive me if this is a dumb question, but are there any differences between MultiEQ XT32 found on the 929 that what is on the 818? Is the 929's version updated in any way? Or are they more or less the same? And if they are different, how so and would that difference be worth jumping up to the 929, given how little I would use the extras that come with it(Bluetooth, wifi, zone 2 hdmi)? Thanks.
if your not intersted in (wireless blutooth or zone 2 HDMI) and all your interested is 9.2 i think the MultiEQ XT32 are the same so the 818 would be my choice. i have the 818 and I'm liking it, i run 9.2 Front high, front wides, center, fronts, and surrounds.it fills the room. for me i was very tempted to get the 929 to add backs and make it 11.2 but i can't justify the cost for that little difference.
as far as heat related failure i keep mine well ventalated with a USB fan that i use to suck warm out through the top of the receiver. so far mine stays cool to warm never feels hot.

My main setup
PN60E8000 Plus evolution 2013Kit + Directv genie + Panasonic 3D blu-ray player + Onkyo TX-NR 818 9.2 Bic F12 subs Onkyo M-5010 2-Channel Amplifier for wides.
MY 10' X 15' DEN
PN51F5500 + Directv Genie + Panasonic 3D blu-ray player + Onkyo TX-NR 737 5.2.2
post #387 of 543 Old 06-10-2014, 11:48 AM
Advanced Member

Bargervais, could you do us a favor about 818 temps? In my discussions with Onkyo it's clear the 929 has the updated HDMI board. But they also told me it started with the 818. Never knew if that was from the beginning or from mid production.

My Integra DTC 9.8 ran around 135 - 140 degrees pointing my infra-red gun at the HDMI board. Under similar conditions my 929 runs 99 - 107. OTOH I think I read about some HDMI problems on the 818.

So if you have access to an infra-red temp gun, let us know what you find, with the fan off. Thanks.

Patrick
post #388 of 543 Old 06-10-2014, 12:12 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Finally upgrading my 30+ year old pioneer vsx3800 receiver with the Onkyo 929. I should have it in a couple days and will probably be posting setup questions here.

The hdmi failures don't affect this model, right?
post #389 of 543 Old 06-10-2014, 01:09 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by bargervais View Post

if your not intersted in (wireless blutooth or zone 2 HDMI) and all your interested is 9.2 i think the MultiEQ XT32 are the same so the 818 would be my choice. i have the 818 and I'm liking it, i run 9.2 Front high, front wides, center, fronts, and surrounds.it fills the room. for me i was very tempted to get the 929 to add backs and make it 11.2 but i can't justify the cost for that little difference.
as far as heat related failure i keep mine well ventalated with a USB fan that i use to suck warm out through the top of the receiver. so far mine stays cool to warm never feels hot.
Thanks for the reply. I have already added usb powered fans, but still I'm kinda iffy about whether that is a long term solution. If anyone knows if there are differences in the XT32 found on both units, or differences you noticed between the two un terms of performance, I really need you to chime in here. smile.gif

post #390 of 543 Old 06-10-2014, 01:53 PM
Advanced Member

If you're considering 4k the 929 does passthrough. If you're waiting for things to settle about 4k, you might take the chance that a 939 still has full Audyssey but the latest 4k stuff that the 929 doesn't have. You're 818 just does upscale.

Patrick
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Nr929 9 2 Channel Network A V Receiver
Gear in this thread - Nr929 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page