The "Official" Onkyo TX-NR929 Owner's Thread - Page 17 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #481 of 640 Old 07-14-2014, 08:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
Actually no. In order to use Audyssey XT32 + Atmos requires double the horsepower the 929 can provide (D&M Atmos models will have 4 processors to get the job done) which is why Onkyo dropped Audyssey and is using their own branded EQ that does not EQ the FL/FR speakers nor the sub, requiring far less processing power and allowing even the lower mid level models to use Atmos.
So that's why Onkyo dropped Audyssey? I had been wondering why. Thanks JD for the info.

So it sounds like with the new Onkyo's, you're getting Atmos but you're getting a crappier room EQ? If that's true, not sure if the trade off is worth it.

1 Mitsubishi WD-82642 82" TV
1 Onkyo TX-NR929 11.4 setup
2 Emotiva XPA-5's
1 Emotiva XPA-100
1 Definitive Technology CLR 3000 (Center)
2 Definitive Technology BP2004TL's (Mains)
2 Definitive Technology ProMonitor 1000's (Heights)
6 Definitive Technology BPX's (Rears Wides Sides)
4 CHT VS-18.1 Subs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #482 of 640 Old 07-15-2014, 04:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 610 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by yadfgp View Post
you're getting Atmos but you're getting a crappier room EQ? If that's true, not sure if the trade off is worth it.
I am not sure either..

Thanks to JD for that info.
post #483 of 640 Old 07-15-2014, 05:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by yadfgp View Post
So that's why Onkyo dropped Audyssey? I had been wondering why. Thanks JD for the info.

So it sounds like with the new Onkyo's, you're getting Atmos but you're getting a crappier room EQ? If that's true, not sure if the trade off is worth it.
Many highly rated AVRs today don't use Audyssey, have you heard the results of onkyo's new system ? If you believe you can't live without Audyssey, well you need to look else where. It only proves that most highend onkyo buyers pick onkyo because they just sound better in the showroom and in their home. In the showroom where the cash change hands and I'll bet most auditions are without any EQ/auto room correction.
I'm sure if onkyo wanted Audyssey XT32 with Atmos the horsepower needed would of been built in, its not rocket science, this is not onkyos first rodeo..
Onkyo may of found a better, easier way to make more people happy, Audyssey, have you checked out the Audyssey thread, tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak weak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak... Sounds real good now !!!

Last edited by joehonest; 07-15-2014 at 06:55 AM.
post #484 of 640 Old 07-15-2014, 07:17 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by gingus View Post
I'm looking to get this as an update to my 805. the Hdmi board failed and Onkyo said they would give a discounted rate for this one. One question, I have is can you bi-amp the L&$ channels with the L&R and the channels for Channels (8 & 9). I'm only running 7.3 and not planning on getting the 9.2. Other than that would this be the best upgrade from the 805?
Gingus, Onkyo just offered me a Re-Furb'ed NR-929 in exchange for my POS NR-809 which had is HDMI board replaced but is still intermittently acting up.

Can you PM me with how much they charged you for the 929?

How much better do you like the 929?

I have yet to do the research on the 929 as I am still struggling with the options Onkyo is offering me but I'd be curious to hear if the 929 has any inherent, known flaws?

Thanks for all the help.
post #485 of 640 Old 07-16-2014, 02:24 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Red face Onkyo 929

Hello All,
Is there anyboy how has some experience with Onkyo cheeper receivers and with the 929? I have 5.1(in a small room) and I would like to use the Amp. for listening music and watching films. I have B&W speakers. I've read the forums and looks like the old 626 models has got some HDMI Sync problems. I wanted a brand new 818 but unfortunately it was EOL when I decided I will buy that one. :S
I would like a receiver which hasn't got problems at all(HDMI Sync problem, overheating problem etc.), has good music quality, has internet radio (doesn't matter which one). If somebody has the chance to hear the cheeper Onkyo receivers and the 929 or has the knowledge what is the differences in "normal" use I'll really appreciate that.
All information I have I had chance to try the 525 and 828 and there were a huge differences in the sound color/deep/dinamyc. I heard about the 636 has passive cooling and that makes it warm. I like the 929 but maybe I should use the new generation from onkyo.

Side note: I just read about the Dolby Atmos but I don't think so that is so important for home usage. Atmos was implemented for Industries so for theaters. Sure they need to sell something new and they need to do researches and I'm sure later that will be a good way, but I don't think so I will use that technology in my home.

Thanks for your help.
post #486 of 640 Old 07-16-2014, 05:53 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTM300EXC View Post
Gingus, Onkyo just offered me a Re-Furb'ed NR-929 in exchange for my POS NR-809 which had is HDMI board replaced but is still intermittently acting up.

Can you PM me with how much they charged you for the 929?

How much better do you like the 929?

I have yet to do the research on the 929 as I am still struggling with the options Onkyo is offering me but I'd be curious to hear if the 929 has any inherent, known flaws?

Thanks for all the help.
I they offered 600. I haven't heard back from them. I have yet to buy. I'm still waiting. But I think I'm going with this one.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
post #487 of 640 Old 07-16-2014, 07:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingus View Post
I they offered 600. I haven't heard back from them. I have yet to buy. I'm still waiting. But I think I'm going with this one.

That seems standard.
However when I saw someone got a refurb (w/o trade) for $589, not from anywhere else but shoponkyo, it makes me wonder. Yes I do understand that those prices are short lived, but even then..
With that token the cost of your current 809 is actually negative..
post #488 of 640 Old 07-18-2014, 10:00 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaranddeeman View Post
That seems standard.
However when I saw someone got a refurb (w/o trade) for $589, not from anywhere else but shoponkyo, it makes me wonder. Yes I do understand that those prices are short lived, but even then..
I think I agree. I may just wait until it goes on sale. Rather than have to pay for shipping. It ends up as a loss.

post #489 of 640 Old 07-18-2014, 11:55 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
That seems standard.
Yes that was me. The Box arrived in near mint condition with in 3 days.
It was listed 799 and came to 599 after discount , I also had 10 ($) points that I earned years back for opening shoponkyo account. Also after this purchase I earned ($)29 back in points for future purchase. They usually add that 25 - 30% off on refurbed items at Shoponkyo during major sale holidays ( labor, July 4th, BF etc) . But "normally" anything above 8XX would not be listed during this period, so I guess they had few stock to clear on 929. But keep looking you can score some nice deal. Few years back when they discontinued one of the pre-pro ( sc 866 I think) , they cleared all new stock for $550 ( sold under refurbed tag, but brand new)
post #490 of 640 Old 07-19-2014, 02:16 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by joehonest View Post
have you heard the results of onkyo's new system ?
!!!
Have you heard it ?
They ( Onkyo ) can shout it to the moon and back, but the AccuEQ is not a room EQ.
The AccuEQ will alter your other speakers in a 5.1/7.1/9.1 setup to better match your front speaker.
By any mean, this is not how room eq works..
Sorry :-(
post #491 of 640 Old 07-19-2014, 12:02 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi have had he 929 few months now and love it question I have I can get a pioneer sc -75 for great price.would that be any upgrade?
post #492 of 640 Old 07-20-2014, 05:57 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 219
^That's hard to say - you would need to demo it to determine if it is better. Pioneers don't utilize Audyssey, so you lose that feature, but many people like the MCACC EQ. Of course, that's assuming you utilize room EQ. The Pioneer's amp section appears to be more robust and it is class D, which is why many love Pioneers.

Klipsch RF-7 II's, RC-64II, RS-52 II's
SVS PB13 Ultra
Marantz SR7008
Emotiva XPA-5
Samsung PN64F8500 with Ideal-Lume Panelight
Panasonic 65VT30 (Master Bedroom)
post #493 of 640 Old 07-26-2014, 09:24 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
DTS 44.1 Problems

Anyone else tried playing DTS Audio that is 44.1kHz? I just get silence with my 929. My old Denon and Yamaha receivers play them just fine. I am bit-streaming via HDMI.
post #494 of 640 Old 07-26-2014, 10:06 PM

What does it say for the inbound Audio information? Does the 929 receive the it in PCM format or DTS, when you check the Information section?
post #495 of 640 Old 07-26-2014, 10:06 PM

Liked: 15
I was doing a demo today for some family that was in town and after about 20 minutes of listening at around reference levels, my onkyo shut off and when restarted displayed "check sp cables/wires". Anybody have that happen before? I assume I'll need to check all the speaker wires to make sure they aren't shorting out, but it seems odd to happen all of a sudden after using it for close to 6 months. It happened twice after at lower volume levels.
post #496 of 640 Old 07-27-2014, 04:49 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 4418 Post(s)
Liked: 2374
^^
Have you ever had the AVR at reference volume levels for that length of time? As noted visually check all speaker wire connections to ensure there are no loose strands from one post touching another post. You might also simply not want to raise the master volume at that level in the future for extended periods.

------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; http://shop.avscience.com/ Call for sales info --> 585-645-1006 

Daily - 8am to 8pm EST
AVScience sells Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Oppo, and more
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 5 times. 
post #497 of 640 Old 07-27-2014, 05:58 AM

I've had it at that volume before and I'm pretty sure I've had it for at least that long, but I'm not positive about the length of time. I'm going to check everything out today.
post #498 of 640 Old 07-27-2014, 11:54 AM

Well I went through and checked all the speaker wires and nothing really seemed out of place. I had music playing (sourced from an ipod and rca cables) for probably 30 at high volume with no issues. Then I tried a bluray through HDMI and it shut off as soon as the movie started. Then I was all confused so I started unplugging speakers from the rear of the receiver to narrow down the issue. In the end I traced the problem to my front high speakers. If I leave then unhooked I don't have any issues. Now I need to figure out what the problem is with them.
post #499 of 640 Old 07-29-2014, 07:34 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Have had the unit for about a month and it's working great driving two NHT Absolute Towers, two Classic 3's, a B-10d subwoofer, and two O2-ARC outdoor speakers through Zone 2. Only glitch I experienced was the wired ethernet connection locked up once, froze, stopped functioning. Was thinking I'd be sending the unit in but a reset fixed the problem, whatever it was, and it hasn't happened again.

I didn't expect the unit to get as hot as it does when playing moderately high volumes for awhile, like a movie or a cd. Onkyo says on their support website that it's normal for it to run, can't remember exactly, 50-60 degrees warmer than ambient. My 929 gets very close to 'too hot to touch' on top. There is about 4.5" above it and both the front and back of the cabinet are open. Normal?
post #500 of 640 Old 07-29-2014, 09:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 63
I just received a brand new 929 from Amazon, via Huppin's Electronics.
However, after checking Onkyo's website, Huppin's is not listed as being an authorized dealer.
That means my receiver is not covered by a factory warranty.

My receiver was delivered to me on July 15th.
I haven't opened up the box yet, because I'm still waiting for items to arrive from other vendors.
The factory seal had been broken on the box and re-taped.
Probably, Huppin's removed the factory warranty card, that I would have filled out?

I also just noticed that Amazon is now selling the 929, from OneCall, which is an authorized Onkyo dealer.
My question is, can I send this unit back to Amazon and have them send me one from OneCall?

Benq W1080ST DLP 3D Projector
Sony BDP-S5200 3D Blu-ray Player
Denon X4000 Receiver
Pioneer SP-FS52 Tower Speaker x 4
Pioneer SP-C22 Center Channel Speaker
PSA XS15se Subwoofer x 4

Last edited by coolcat4843; 07-29-2014 at 09:30 AM.
post #501 of 640 Old 07-29-2014, 10:29 AM
585-645-1006

^^
I would call Huppins first and ask them if they are authorized and if it can be confirmed. AV Science is an authorized Onkyo dealer but we are not listed on Onkyo's website either. The registration card doesn't validate the warranty rather the invoice with date of purchase and name of "authorized" vendor does. Amazon should take it back if you have to return it.

------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; http://shop.avscience.com/ Call for sales info --> 585-645-1006 

Daily - 8am to 8pm EST
AVScience sells Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Oppo, and more
post #502 of 640 Old 07-29-2014, 04:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcat4843 View Post
I just received a brand new 929 from Amazon, via Huppin's Electronics.
However, after checking Onkyo's website, Huppin's is not listed as being an authorized dealer.
That means my receiver is not covered by a factory warranty.

My receiver was delivered to me on July 15th.
I haven't opened up the box yet, because I'm still waiting for items to arrive from other vendors.
The factory seal had been broken on the box and re-taped.
Probably, Huppin's removed the factory warranty card, that I would have filled out?

I also just noticed that Amazon is now selling the 929, from OneCall, which is an authorized Onkyo dealer.
My question is, can I send this unit back to Amazon and have them send me one from OneCall?
OneCall and Huppins are the same. But just get your confirmation from Huppins.
post #503 of 640 Old 07-30-2014, 07:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
OneCall and Huppins are the same. But just get your confirmation from Huppins.
I called Amazon this morning.
They will send UPS to pickup my receiver and they'll refund my money.
I'll then order my 929 from OneCall.

I don't like the fact that the box they sent me had been opened and then resealed.
My original order was for a brand new unit, not an "open box" order.

Denon X4000 Receiver
PSA XS15se Subwoofer x 4
post #504 of 640 Old 07-30-2014, 07:57 AM
585-645-1006

^^
Huppins is the family that owns the One Call stores and just happens to use Huppins for that one B&M retail store so they are indeed an authorized dealer. I spoke with a rep and you actually purchased an "open box" unit which is why you got a discount off the regular price. I would suggest calling them back as you are wasting your time returning it as long as it works without issue.

------------------

Daily - 8am to 8pm EST
post #505 of 640 Old 07-30-2014, 08:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
^^
Huppins is the family that owns the One Call stores and just happens to use Huppins for that one B&M retail store so they are indeed an authorized dealer. I spoke with a rep and you actually purchased an "open box" unit which is why you got a discount off the regular price. I would suggest calling them back as you are wasting your time returning it as long as it works without issue.
Does that mean that the unit has been previously used and or is refurbished?
The description on Amazon, before I placed my order, said "new," not "open box."

Denon X4000 Receiver
PSA XS15se Subwoofer x 4
post #506 of 640 Old 07-30-2014, 08:31 AM
585-645-1006

^^
"Open box" generally does not mean refurbished rather only that it was used as a demo or perhaps used by a buyer and returned in working order within the return period. If you paid the current $999 Amazon price then you should have gotten an unopened brand new unit, otherwise if you paid less, it was "open box." If you didn't pay less, then you can likely get Huppins to lower the price to an "open box" price. Reset the microprocessor to restore all settings to their factory defaults if you decide to keep it.

------------------

Daily - 8am to 8pm EST
post #507 of 640 Old 07-30-2014, 09:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
^^
"Open box" generally does not mean refurbished rather only that it was used as a demo or perhaps used by a buyer and returned in working order within the return period. If you paid the current $999 Amazon price then you should have gotten an unopened brand new unit, otherwise if you paid less, it was "open box." If you didn't pay less, then you can likely get Huppins to lower the price to an "open box" price. Reset the microprocessor to restore all settings to their factory defaults if you decide to keep it.
I wanted an unopened brand new unit, which is what I thought I ordered.

Checkout the OneCall webpage, here, for the 929.

So I'm going ahead and reordering the 929, this time from OneCall.
Hopefully, I'll get a brand new unit delivered to me in a factory sealed box.

Denon X4000 Receiver
PSA XS15se Subwoofer x 4
post #508 of 640 Old 08-06-2014, 05:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Aside from the fact that everyone EXCEPT Technical Pro is selling this, it looks like it would work.
Crown X1000 (I believe is discontinued and hence) is on sale at few places. I guess that would be the best bargain available now..
post #509 of 640 Old 08-07-2014, 04:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Another question on 11.x setup using 929.
How do you manage to sync the volume of external 2 channels along with the 9 on the receiver?
post #510 of 640 Old 08-07-2014, 05:16 AM
585-645-1006

^^
Running Audyssey again with the additional 2CH connected will accomplish this.

------------------

Daily - 8am to 8pm EST
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Nr929 9 2 Channel Network A V Receiver
Gear in this thread - Nr929 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page