The "Official" Onkyo TX-NR929 Owner's Thread - Page 18 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #511 of 543 Old 08-07-2014, 11:09 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So is there a Firmware update that should be done with these units right out of the box? I am setting up my rack and wiring as we speak and trying to think of things I should be aware of with the 929. I am setting this up as a 7.1 with a Zone 2 and Zone 3. From what I can see, the menu system seems to be similar to my older Onkyo so that helps. And it looks like I will need to enable the Monitor out for use in Zone 2 (for HDMI)? I do want to be able to have 2 HDMI video outputs.

So far, I have only connected a Blu ray player... and my Zone 2 volume was really low but since I had only the HDMI connected, I hope this means that volume should be corrected by using an RCA connection from Blu Ray to the Receiver?

thanks for any suggestions etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #512 of 543 Old 08-07-2014, 07:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
^^
Running Audyssey again with the additional 2CH connected will accomplish this.
Ah, you mean when I increase or decrease the volume from my remote (of 929), it also affects the volume of this external amp?
post #513 of 543 Old 08-08-2014, 12:49 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
A potential heating problem?
I have this unit (929) for about five months now and I am very pleased with it.
Up until now no problem at all, running a traditional 5.1 setup with the front L/R bi-amp ( all speaker rated 8 Ohm's )
The temperature of the unit during the work has been discussed over and over in many posts and like many others I assume,
I am taking a temperature reading from the surface of the unit. All my reading were between 104-109f so I guess I was Ok.
Yesterday I watched a movie I took a temperature reading since the unit felt unusually warm. I got 122f (which is about 13-18f higher then the average I got up until now ).

I'm trying to figure out what could make this huge jump. Environmental conditions have not changed ( same room, same Air conditioning ,same reference listening volume ).

The only thing that might have changed and this is a shot in the dark, is that the movie contained a 7.1 encoding audio track so maybe the unit needed some more cpu power to do the decoding which lead to a higher temperature reading.
Otherwise I really can not explain the high measurement reading unless I have a problem somewhere ..

Any how, going back in my head 5 month ago, I remember I got a high temperature reading only once when I did the Initial Setup with the Audyssey calibration. This I think, might strengthens my hypothesis.

I really want to hear your take on it.

Thanks in advance

The1shark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #514 of 543 Old 08-08-2014, 04:39 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I was very happy with temperature on the recevier but a few days ago it reached a high temperature and I don´t know why. The only new thing in the receiver is the audyssey equalizer on. Do you think this can increase the temperature in the unit?

In other way, I´m not using a subwoofer, I play bass sound trought the rest of the speakers, Is this way worse for the receiver?

I have seen that a high volume make not difference to high temperature but playing video increase the temperature more than music only does.

I have only seen fans working last saturday but for a while even though the Onkyo was very hot. Sometimes the Onkyo is really cold, and I don´t know if fans was working...

Thanks..
post #515 of 543 Old 08-09-2014, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jipjap View Post
I was very happy with temperature on the recevier but a few days ago it reached a high temperature and I don´t know why. The only new thing in the receiver is the audyssey equalizer on. Do you think this can increase the temperature in the unit?

In other way, I´m not using a subwoofer, I play bass sound trought the rest of the speakers, Is this way worse for the receiver?

I have seen that a high volume make not difference to high temperature but playing video increase the temperature more than music only does.

I have only seen fans working last saturday but for a while even though the Onkyo was very hot. Sometimes the Onkyo is really cold, and I don´t know if fans was working...

Thanks..
Did you read my post above ?
I am experiencing the same symptoms. I think It is related to the processor load. So, yes Audyssey dynamic eq is definitely makes your processor work harder which is lead to a higher temperture.

The1Shark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #516 of 543 Old 08-09-2014, 03:14 AM

It seems to be that Audyssey or video content are more important in high temperature that audio amps in this receivers, even differents sound decoding make higher temperatures...

Yesterday I bought a Coolermaster 200 mmm fan and it works: temperatures last week reached more than 55 ºC and with the fan working was less than 30 ºC (perhaps that´s not good for sound quality). So I have now an helicopter-receiver ready to fly.

Thanks
post #517 of 543 Old 08-09-2014, 03:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jipjap View Post
It seems to be that Audyssey or video content are more important in high temperature that audio amps in this receivers, even differents sound decoding make higher temperatures...

Yesterday I bought a Coolermaster 200 mmm fan and it works: temperatures last week reached more than 55 ºC and with the fan working was less than 30 ºC (perhaps that´s not good for sound quality). So I have now an helicopter-receiver ready to fly.

Thanks
Can you post a link to the fan model ? how noisy is it ?

post #518 of 543 Old 08-09-2014, 06:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by the1shark View Post
how noisy is it ?
He said "helicopter-receiver"...
post #519 of 543 Old 08-09-2014, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Can you post a link to the fan model ? how noisy is it ?
this is the fan:

http://www.coolermaster.com/cooling/...ed-silent-fan/

Helicopter not for the noise..It says 19 db. Is really silent, less noise than my HTPC or my Benq PY of course....

A receiver like this should include an external fan and a thermometer in the box. JE JE

Anybody knows if can you select the range of temperature for internal fans in the receiver?
post #520 of 543 Old 08-15-2014, 01:25 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
For the heat issue on my 809 (soon to be upgraded to a 929)...

I just added a 180mm laptop cooling pad fan to the top of my 809 and it helps dramatically. It was only around $7-8 on ebay and plugs into the USB port (which turns on with the unit or is switched on with my power center). It also blocks very little of the reciever so if it should fail it won't hurt air flow in any significant way.

This only works if you have the receiver on your top rack though because it is a fairly thick fan. For a thinner one the "thin ice" dual 140mm fan unit would also work well but it is around $15...

I peeled the top sticker back and removed the fan so that i could clip the 2 annoying blue LEDs (just make sure to cut the leads short and make sure they aren't touching before you power on). I then put it back together and put the sticker back on and all is good. I also recommend a piece of tape or glue on the power cord so that it doesn't move and hit the fan.

ebay search:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw...d+828&_sacat=0

I have the 929 on order I just wish that they would do a firmware update to support atmos with the 929. It is strange that there is no next generation "939" model.

-Rich

Last edited by rfb6435; 08-22-2014 at 02:05 PM.
post #521 of 543 Old 08-17-2014, 05:46 AM

929 & Phono

Did someone try to hook up the 929 with a turntable?
The sound is just terrible! Compared to the amazing sound that the 929 reproduces in HT&Hi-Rez Music.

Do you have any suggestions in improving my vinyl experience with the 929?
post #522 of 543 Old 08-19-2014, 07:53 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
so u guys think that one day we can get hdmi 2.0 update on this av ?
post #523 of 543 Old 08-19-2014, 08:01 AM

all of a sudden cant connect to my Pandora or slacker radio via wifi.the wifi light comes on error message says cant connect. rebooted router went into network settings on receiver says everything is good? any ideals?
post #524 of 543 Old 08-19-2014, 06:49 PM

Wifi issues can be tough to diagnose but it sounds like it could be a conflict or interference with the channels. Get Wifi Analyzer, an app that you can run (use it on my Galaxy Tab) and check to see what is running on your wifi network and what channels they are using. It may be a good idea to change your receiver or other equipment to specific channels that do not share the same numbers. And make sure you do not have any other appliances or phones near that use the same 2.4 frequency.

just some ideas to try. And I will ask again to see - but did you all update the firmware right away out of the box? Are there updates?

Dave
post #525 of 543 Old 08-19-2014, 08:27 PM

Liked: 0
I didn't expect the 929 to get as hot as it does when playing moderately high volumes for awhile, like a movie or a cd. Onkyo says on their support website that it's normal for it to run, can't remember exactly, 50-60 degrees warmer than ambient. My 929 gets very close to 'too hot to touch' on top. There is about 4.5" above it and both the front and back of the cabinet are open.
Is close to "too hot to touch" normal or is it abnormal?
post #526 of 543 Old 08-27-2014, 07:59 AM

Liked: 1
I have just purchased and hooked up the 929 and am very disappointed in the sound quality. (The sound on my previous Onkyo stopped working again after it had been repaired, so I decided to replace it).

Am I doing something wrong with the setup? I used the Audyssey and the sound from that setup process seemed strong, but when I go to a DVD or go to Cable the sound just is not strong and I am not sure I am hearing much beyond the front speakers (Center and front surround).

Any suggestions?
the1shark likes this.
post #527 of 543 Old 08-27-2014, 08:30 PM

Question that I have ben wondering too.

The only format that really sounds good and full for me is Dolby PLX Audyssey.
Setup is 11.2.
Speakers are all Mission 7 Series with a Mission 10" sub and a Mission 12" sub.
Front wides are running through an Akai amp/receiver.
Used Audyssey to set up all the speakers.
Tried adding a Rotel amp for the L and R fronts from the pre-amp.
Audyssey muted the fronts and set it at -10 or -12 setting.
Still not getting enough sound (db if I understand the terminology.)
Can run the volume up to 70 or 80 and still want more when playing a music DVD such as Rolling Stones or Pink Floyd with Samsung BluRay player which is new.

Like OP would like your thoughts on this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsar View Post
I have just purchased and hooked up the 929 and am very disappointed in the sound quality. (The sound on my previous Onkyo stopped working again after it had been repaired, so I decided to replace it).

Am I doing something wrong with the setup? I used the Audyssey and the sound from that setup process seemed strong, but when I go to a DVD or go to Cable the sound just is not strong and I am not sure I am hearing much beyond the front speakers (Center and front surround).

Any suggestions?
post #528 of 543 Old 08-28-2014, 04:56 AM

Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by onkyose View Post
The only format that really sounds good and full for me is Dolby PLX Audyssey.
Setup is 11.2.
Speakers are all Mission 7 Series with a Mission 10" sub and a Mission 12" sub.
Front wides are running through an Akai amp/receiver.
Used Audyssey to set up all the speakers.
Tried adding a Rotel amp for the L and R fronts from the pre-amp.
Audyssey muted the fronts and set it at -10 or -12 setting.
Still not getting enough sound (db if I understand the terminology.)
Can run the volume up to 70 or 80 and still want more when playing a music DVD such as Rolling Stones or Pink Floyd with Samsung BluRay player which is new.

Like OP would like your thoughts on this.
Try running your setup with Audyssey off.
With settings like -12 the software is lowering your volume.
How big is your room?
post #529 of 543 Old 08-28-2014, 10:09 AM

The room is 15' x 28' (feet).
"Try running your setup with Audyssey off." I did not know that is possible. Can you refer me to or give details on the steps that you are suggesting?
I have tried increasing the volume on the 2 amps but that throws off the balancing that the software did. I have also gone into the settings on the 929 and boosted the -12 to 0 or even +10 but again that throws off the Audyssey software settings and the front high, side, and rear speakers are out of balance with the fronts and front wides.

Thanks for your reply. It is, and you are appreciated.
post #530 of 543 Old 08-29-2014, 02:03 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aoyarvide View Post
so u guys think that one day we can get hdmi 2.0 update on this av ?
No. Onkyo won't do it. Even knowing this, I bought a 929 (it arrives tomorrow), because I had no intention of suffering through AccuEq having just given up on a Yamaha receiver (RXA 840 Adventage) with its abysmal YPAO calibration.

So, by going to the 929, I gave up HDMI 2.0, HDCP 2.2, and any hope of getting Atmos. In exchange, I hope to have a great sounding receiver. Until the infamous HDMI/no-sound issue on my 2009 TXSR707 stopped the receiver, I was quite happy with the Audyssey calibration. Also, tomorrow I'll find out if my new 929 qualifies for Onkyo's new, free extended warranty (through 12/2018) for receivers built through 2012. I don't know if I should be happy or disappointed if it doesn't. If it was built in 2013 (it's a new unit, so I think that's likely), there's no extended warranty--presumably because they fixed the HDMI issue. OTOH, if it's covered by the warranty, the audio will at some point die.

But, getting back to your question, if you want HDMI 2.0, HDCP 2.2, and Dolby Atmos, you'll need to buy a new Onkyo receiver. And, if you do, you'll be stuck with AccuEQ (which for me was a deal-breaker). If you want to get a receiver with the 929's brand of Audyssey, Denon/Marantz would be the way to go (plan on spending $1400 for an Atmos-enabled Denon X4100--it has HDMI 2.0, but HDCP 2.2).
post #531 of 543 Old 08-29-2014, 03:01 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleSpud View Post
So, by going to the 929, I gave up HDMI 2.0, HDCP 2.2, and any hope of getting Atmos. In exchange, I hope to have a great sounding receiver.
Though Onkyo current receiver line support hdmi 2.0 and hdcp 2.2, they do not offer the full hdmi 2.0 bandwidth and they won't be able to deal with 4:4:4 color sampling which is part of 4k spec..
So I think in terms of viability it was indeed better to give up the hdmi 2.0 and get a receiver with a winning calibration system.
Atmos ? Adding 4 more speaker on the ceiling / replacing your current setup completely ?
Sorry, Can't see that happening in a million years..

post #532 of 543 Old 08-29-2014, 04:43 AM

Quote:
Though Onkyo current receiver line support hdmi 2.0 and hdcp 2.2, they do not offer the full hdmi 2.0 bandwidth and they won't be able to deal with 4:4:4 color sampling which is part of 4k spec..
So I think in terms of viability it was indeed better to give up the hdmi 2.0 and get a receiver with a winning calibration system.
Atmos ? Adding 4 more speaker on the ceiling / replacing your current setup completely ?
Sorry, Can't see that happening in a million years..
Shark, thanks for the additional information about HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2---that makes me feel better about turning my back on modernity. My brief experience with Yamaha's calibration system made me realize that Audyssey was a class apart. It's too bad that Onkyo has dropped it from their current lineup and it's commendable that Marantz/Denon haven't.
post #533 of 543 Old 08-29-2014, 04:45 AM

Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by onkyose View Post
The room is 15' x 28' (feet).
"Try running your setup with Audyssey off." I did not know that is possible. Can you refer me to or give details on the steps that you are suggesting?
I have tried increasing the volume on the 2 amps but that throws off the balancing that the software did. I have also gone into the settings on the 929 and boosted the -12 to 0 or even +10 but again that throws off the Audyssey software settings and the front high, side, and rear speakers are out of balance with the fronts and front wides.

Thanks for your reply. It is, and you are appreciated.
I should have wrote "system". I sometimes use setup and system interchangeably. Sorry for the confusion!
post #534 of 543 Old 08-29-2014, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Shark, thanks for the additional information about HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2---that makes me feel better about turning my back on modernity. My brief experience with Yamaha's calibration system made me realize that Audyssey was a class apart. It's too bad that Onkyo has dropped it from their current lineup and it's commendable that Marantz/Denon haven't.
I am pretty sure you're gonna like this unit ..

post #535 of 543 Old 08-29-2014, 07:39 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:

But, getting back to your question, if you want HDMI 2.0, HDCP 2.2, and Dolby Atmos, you'll need to buy a new Onkyo receiver. And, if you do, you'll be stuck with AccuEQ (which for me was a deal-breaker). If you want to get a receiver with the 929's brand of Audyssey, Denon/Marantz would be the way to go (plan on spending $1400 for an Atmos-enabled Denon X4100--it has HDMI 2.0, but HDCP 2.2).
well that sucks cause 4 months ago i spent a lot for my all home theater 7.1 and spent 1000 dls on this av receiver so i thought i will be like ok now i have all my audio system for any **** that comes to me haha but now in the future maybe 3 4 years i will have to spend again more than 1000 dls =( its not fair haha
but well thank you for the information
post #536 of 543 Old 08-29-2014, 11:09 PM

Quote:
I am pretty sure you're gonna like this unit ..
Shark, I love this receiver. Set it up this afternoon. Audyssey did all the heavy lifting and I only made one minor tweak afterwards. I can't begin to tell you how much better the 929 sounds compared to the Yamaha RX-A840 receiver that preceded it. Again, Yamaha's proprietary calibration program is dreadful compared to Audyssey.

Minor observations:Bluetooth access is a bit funky, and I don't understand why Onkyo is allergic to IOS, which means I have to stream music through my Apple TV via my Macbook Pro or my Ipod Touch. The Yamaha receiver had Airplay built in (but no BT), and I miss Airplay on the 929. Menu access was more intuitive on the Yamaha, but that's a very minor quibble. Video quality is much better on the 929 as are the on-screen displays. Overall, set up wasn't too bad.

Honestly, the results were better than I anticipated. My unit doesn't qualify for Onkyo's extended warranty, and I'm not quite sure what to make of it. I'll probably pick up a Square Trade warranty just in case.
post #537 of 543 Old 08-30-2014, 07:52 AM

A potential heating problem? [SOLVED]

As to the overheating inconsistency I mentioned here couple of pages earlier, since the heat issues is related to the video processor, I believe that the unit heat in regards to the overall bit rate ( video / audio ) which can explain the inconsistency.
Anyhow, I solved my problem by adding 2 Antec TrueQuiet pro 120mm fans.
http://www.vortez.net/articles_pages..._review,1.html
Very quiet less then 18db and important to me, unseen from the seat point ( in my setup )
Although I bought a thermostat I didn't hock it up yet so the 2 fan works all the time.
The result is amazing. After 2h temperature measurement was 90F and Before installation of the fans the unit reached 120F

the1shark
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140829_220255.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	357.1 KB
ID:	237122   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140829_220245.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	349.5 KB
ID:	237130  

post #538 of 543 Old 09-07-2014, 10:19 PM

Quote:
As to the overheating inconsistency I mentioned here couple of pages earlier, since the heat issues is related to the video processor, I believe that the unit heat in regards to the overall bit rate ( video / audio ) which can explain the inconsistency.
Anyhow, I solved my problem by adding 2 Antec TrueQuiet pro 120mm fans.
Shark, can the fans connect to an external power source? I'm not sure that I have the skill to pop the hood on the receiver and wire them to the motherboard.
post #539 of 543 Old 09-08-2014, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Shark, can the fans connect to an external power source?
Oh yes, they are constantly connected to an external power supply. I ordered 12v thermostat which I plan to incorporate with the fans.

Quote:
I'm not sure that I have the skill to pop the hood on the receiver and wire them to the motherboard
Well, I do not think it's a good idea. Don't mess with the unit.

post #540 of 543 Old 09-08-2014, 06:06 AM

TX-NR929 Add a 2nd Amplifier

I am playing around and added a 2nd amplifier to the 929.
Running 11.2 with an older Akai apm;icier for the 11.2 configuration so the Akai amp powers the From Wide speakers.
I have a Harman Kardon AVR 430 (80 watts per channel - vintage 2003.) and am connecting the HK to the Front speaker pre-outs and then the front speakers to the HK.
When I run the Audyssey MuiltEQ Full Setup what volume level (Low - Med - High or give me a % of volume?) should I set the HK to?
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Nr929 9 2 Channel Network A V Receiver
Gear in this thread - Nr929 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page