The "Official" Onkyo TX-NR929 Owner's Thread - Page 20 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #571 of 595 Old 11-09-2014, 01:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Audio drop on TiVo replay button, any HDMI reset

I have 3 Onkyo 929s and generally love them. Huge sound upgrade for me from the Denon, Sony, and Yamaha that I replaced.

The one issue I have is that when I hit the "back up 8 seconds" replay button on the TiVo it drops audio entirely and takes about 3-4 seconds to come back, which is annoying. Now I usually have to back up twice and by the time it gets done its audio dropout I'm ready to hear what I was backing up for.

If you're not running the TiVo UI at the same resolution as fullscreen playback the sync can take 10 or more seconds in my case, but that's a component input so I'm not sure what to think.

In short, this audio dropout would have been a deal killer for me, and really hampers my enjoyment of the AVR, which I love in almost every other respect (though hardware guys should never write user interface code, but that's a different story).

I tried to scan through the 570+ posts in this thread, but didn't find any obvious discussions of it.

Any help?
Thanks!
Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #572 of 595 Old 11-11-2014, 06:33 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Okay looking for recommendation on a set of speakers for wides not looking for the best but also don't want cheap either.

Pioneer kuro 60 plasma, Onkyo TXNR 929 Receiver, Son BDCX 960, Toshiba HD DVD, Polk center and Surrounds, Definitive Mains, and Definitive Trinity Sub.
post #573 of 595 Old 11-11-2014, 06:39 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 2286 Post(s)
Liked: 1831
^^
Generally you want the FL/C/FR speakers to be of the same brand for proper timbre matching. Although not required, it also helps to have the Wide speakers of the same brand as well, likely bookshelf speakers on stands at ear height.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; Direct line 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #574 of 595 Old 11-11-2014, 07:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by xraysrt6 View Post
Okay looking for recommendation on a set of speakers for wides not looking for the best but also don't want cheap either.
I've got Def Tech speakers like you do but for all of my speakers and they sound perfect to me. You can see what I have in my signature. You may want to go with Pro Monitor 1000's or BPX's or something similar in the DT line. Ebay currently has some great deals for these speakers.

1 Mitsubishi WD-82642 82" TV
1 Onkyo TX-NR929 11.4 setup
2 Emotiva XPA-5's
1 Emotiva XPA-100
1 Definitive Technology CLR 3000 (Center)
2 Definitive Technology BP2004TL's (Mains)
2 Definitive Technology ProMonitor 1000's (Heights)
6 Definitive Technology BPX's (Rears Wides Sides)
4 CHT VS-18.1 Subs
post #575 of 595 Old 11-11-2014, 09:38 PM

Liked: 2
Thanks for the help I am def leaning towards the pro monitor 1000. they are the right size and all the reviews I have read were pretty good. and since they are going to be wide and back surrounds they don't need to be huge. I am very happy with my sound now I just hope it is worth the money to add these speakers. my room is 13 by 20 and my couch is midway between the front and back so my rear surrounds will be about 9 feet behind me. For rears does the height they are mounted at matter? I have my side surrounds about 2 feet above ear level and my wides will be at ear level same as my mains.

Pioneer kuro 60 plasma, Onkyo TXNR 929 Receiver, Son BDCX 960, Toshiba HD DVD, Polk center and Surrounds, Definitive Mains, and Definitive Trinity Sub.
post #576 of 595 Old 11-16-2014, 10:56 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Just thought I'd pop in and say that my 929, after 6 months of use, is the most problem-free receiver I've owned in a long time. All of the HDMI problems that I'd blamed on my Samsung plasma and Nvidia HTPC have magically disappeared since I switched my Denon 3312 for the 929. I was worried about heat when I first got the unit but even on a very hot day without air-con, the temperature never becomes excessive and the fans are never audible (though I do have very efficient speakers.)

Because it's working so well, I intend to keep it for 5+ years so the only hurdle now is long term reliability.
post #577 of 595 Old 11-17-2014, 02:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by zalmoth View Post
I also live in Idaho, bought from Acc4less, and got the 5 year warranty. I still have sound but have been having NET issues recently. A reset fixes my NET issue, have you tried that? Hold the cbl button and the on/off simultaneously.
You and DKguy are aware of the mass Onkyo issues on all models from 2009 to 2012 the exact issue you two are having.
Onkyo acknowledges failed units and extending warrranties until 2018

loss of sound all channels
speaker indicator on display is not showing(it comes and goes)
network settings greyed out
noise/crackled audio comes out of speakers on any dolby digital or high res digital streams.

i7 4770K/16 gig 2133/GTX 680 840 PRO SSD

Paradigm Studio 100/570/20's/2200 Sub

Onkyo 809 42" LCD/Panny AE4000

post #578 of 595 Old 11-29-2014, 10:07 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Dear Friends,

I am new to audio systems and wish to gather some assistance from you experienced people. I have just picked up a Onkyo 929 and I am yet to set it up. Hopefully I should be able to have it done in a 2-3 days. I was keen to buy a separate integrated amp for music. A good friend of mine suggests not to do so as the Onkyo amp is suitable enough to handle 2.1 sound since it is a high current amp and has a built in DAC. Speakers to be paired are the kef q900.

I need your help on the same. Please advise.
post #579 of 595 Old 11-29-2014, 11:55 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Remote 3 on iPad and Iphone

First post....

I have been using the Onkyo Remote 2 software on my iPad for some time without too many issues. controlling my NR-929 (which I like mostly).

Recently "upgraded" to IOS8 and now the app will not work. Worked out there is a newer version to download, unimaginatively called "Onkyo Remote 3". However this does not want to connect reliably to the receiver.

I noticed that Spotify even using the physical remote is not working well on the receiver. I note that Onkyo have released a firmware update for 2014 receivers but nothing for the 929 since Feb 14.

Do we think there is a firmware update coming that ties the new remote software to the amp?

Does anyone know, as it has turned a very useful feature into a complete non-starter at the moment.....

Jules
post #580 of 595 Old 11-30-2014, 12:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 161
I have had 2 of the bigger Onkyos, the 876 and the 906. Both were quite able to do really well with 2 channel music, and although they are from 5-6 years ago, I think Onkyo still pays attention to 2 channel performance. That said, I heard a demo of the Kef Q900 with a newer model Onkyo and was impressed with the Kefs, that's a nice sounding speaker, and a good combo with Onkyo.

For your decision to try an integrated, I think it would depend on your expectations, what level of refinement you can be happy with, because to get an integrated that would outperform the 929 with its Audyssey room correction, I suspect you are looking at something in the same price range of the 929 or more. I'd audition the Onkyo in 2 channel mode to see if it will suffice.
post #581 of 595 Old 11-30-2014, 04:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by audio4life View Post
I have had 2 of the bigger Onkyos, the 876 and the 906. Both were quite able to do really well with 2 channel music, and although they are from 5-6 years ago, I think Onkyo still pays attention to 2 channel performance.

They do, indeed...in my two-channel system I am running a TX-8555 stereo receiver that has been rock solid since day one, boasting a hefty, strong build, thick aluminum faceplate, no-nonsense front controls and a classic stereo device layout...this thing is a monster and really sounds more like a good integrated amp than a receiver...

In my opinion, this is still a company to look to for both two-channel and surround; after all, take a look on their websites -- both in North America and the European/Asian markets -- and you'll see a smattering of models still dedicated to top notch hi-fi performance (power amps, integrated amps, preamps, CD players, etc.).

post #582 of 595 Old 12-08-2014, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdtv00 View Post
You and DKguy are aware of the mass Onkyo issues on all models from 2009 to 2012 the exact issue you two are having.

loss of sound all channels
speaker indicator on display is not showing(it comes and goes)
network settings greyed out
noise/crackled audio comes out of speakers on any dolby digital or high res digital streams.

Not exact issue. I had two instances of losing network connectivity that a reset resolved both times. Also, bought the 2013 model in 2014.
post #583 of 595 Old 12-08-2014, 02:54 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harsha Mangalpadi View Post
Dear Friends,

I am new to audio systems and wish to gather some assistance from you experienced people. I have just picked up a Onkyo 929 and I am yet to set it up. Hopefully I should be able to have it done in a 2-3 days. I was keen to buy a separate integrated amp for music. A good friend of mine suggests not to do so as the Onkyo amp is suitable enough to handle 2.1 sound since it is a high current amp and has a built in DAC. Speakers to be paired are the kef q900.

I need your help on the same. Please advise.
Looking at the specs for the speakers and what TX-NR929 is capable of delivering, you don't need an amp for a 2.1 set-up.
post #584 of 595 Old 12-14-2014, 11:59 AM

How can they be only partially compliant?

Quote:
Originally Posted by the1shark View Post
Though Onkyo current receiver line support hdmi 2.0 and hdcp 2.2, they do not offer the full hdmi 2.0 bandwidth and they won't be able to deal with 4:4:4 color sampling which is part of 4k spec..
If one of the biggest features of the 2.0 spec is the 4:4:4 part, then I don't understand why it isn't supported? Isn't supporting the full spec the reason for being 2.0 compliant in the first place? How can they be only partially compliant?

Would you mind please elaborating?

Last edited by CaptainKen; 12-14-2014 at 12:33 PM.
post #585 of 595 Old 12-14-2014, 01:24 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Basically it's an hardware issue since there is no chip the can support both the full bandwidth of HDMI 2.0 and the HDCP2.2

You can read here :

http://www.audioholics.com/hdtv-form...i-2.0-hdcp-2.2
post #586 of 595 Old 12-15-2014, 10:37 AM

Thank you for your reply. Great article!
post #587 of 595 Old 12-18-2014, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Turned on my TV this morning and apparently Onkyo released a new FW update in the last 24 hours or so, as my AVR asked me if I'd like to update to it.

So I did, and then went to Onkyo's support site to see what new has changed ETC, and the last FW update they have listed goes back to February of this year.

So far everything seems ok but all I've been doing is watching TV.

Anyone else know anything about this new update?

Thanks

2 Emotiva XPA-5's
1 Emotiva XPA-100
4 CHT VS-18.1 Subs
post #588 of 595 Old 12-18-2014, 02:37 PM
AVS Special Member

This sucks.

Out of boredom I rechecked Onkyo's site, and it now has the new FW posted. Looks like all the most recent models got em, and according to the info provided with the FW, it doesn't add much of anything to our units.

The 12/18/2014 update will address the following:
1. Adds support of Spotify Connect:
-Please download the Spotify Music app from the iTunes or Google Play store prior to installing this update.
-After installing this update, Spotify will no longer be able to be controlled through the receivers OSD menu.
-All control of the Spotify service will be done through the Spotify Music app
For Spotify Connect Support, download this document:
http://www.onkyo.com/manual/spotify/connect.pdf

2 Emotiva XPA-5's
1 Emotiva XPA-100
4 CHT VS-18.1 Subs
post #589 of 595 Old 12-23-2014, 06:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Not sure if this is a symptom of a hdmi board going bad. I have a 929 that is one month old bought new. Last night when switching sources, the picture came up but no audio. Thought it could have been an hdmi handshake so I switched sources and even unplugged the hdmi cable but audio didn't return. When I power cycled it the sound came back. I have not encountered this since I've owned it and have used it everyday since I've bought it.

Also the amp seems to run very cool to the touch but I can feel that the rear portion where the hdmi board can get noticeably hot to the touch. I wonder why would a hdmi board run so hot? Not like there is tons of number crunching going on with just forwarding video.
post #590 of 595 Old 12-23-2014, 09:05 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatse View Post
Not sure if this is a symptom of a hdmi board going bad. I have a 929 that is one month old bought new. Last night when switching sources, the picture came up but no audio. Thought it could have been an hdmi handshake so I switched sources and even unplugged the hdmi cable but audio didn't return. When I power cycled it the sound came back. I have not encountered this since I've owned it and have used it everyday since I've bought it.

Also the amp seems to run very cool to the touch but I can feel that the rear portion where the hdmi board can get noticeably hot to the touch. I wonder why would a hdmi board run so hot? Not like there is tons of number crunching going on with just forwarding video.
Depending on the settings there could be a lot of processing to just output video. I usually have my 929 set to always output 1080p which means it scales everything except blurays. There are a number of settings that all process video.

If your unit turned on after a power cycle then it is probably just a glitch similar to a PC or phone that needs a reboot.

I run a cooler master CMC3 fan on the back side of my 929 (one on my 809, amd one on each of my amps) it drops the temp on the HDMI board significantly to where it is no longer even warm to the touch. They are often only $5 after rebate with free shipping. Newegg is running a rebate right now so it is good cheap peace of mind.

-Rich

Onkyo TX-NR929 as an Audyssey DSX 11.2 Pre-Pro w/ 0.05% THD All Ch Driven External Amps
Adcom GFA-7500 150W/ch (WL/L/C/R/WR), Adcom GFA-7607 100W/ch (FHL/FHR/SR/SBR/SBL/SL)
Home Theater Direct Lvl 3 Tower L/C/R (Older Dome Tweeter Versions), Dual 12" Subs
Home Theater Direct Lvl 2 Tower WL/WR, BkShelf SBL/SBR. Middy FHL/FHR, AIM In Ceiling SL/SR
Acer H9500BD / Monoprice 106" Multi-Format Screen.
post #591 of 595 Old 12-23-2014, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

i dont think there should be a reason we need to put additional cooling for a hardware at this price range or any costs. It should work out of the box reliably. Hopefully the hdmi board issues have been solved and my issue was just a software crash like you said. If it happens more frequently I might return it as I've never had this this type of issue with my older pioneer.

Last edited by Goatse; 12-23-2014 at 10:26 AM.
post #592 of 595 Old 12-23-2014, 12:24 PM

Quote:
i dont think there should be a reason we need to put additional cooling for a hardware at this price range or any costs. It should work out of the box reliably. Hopefully the hdmi board issues have been solved and my issue was just a software crash like you said. If it happens more frequently I might return it as I've never had this this type of issue with my older pioneer.
The reason is to avoid a possible issue. It should and probably will be fine without the fan but If I can take 15 degrees or more of heat out of the system with a $5 fan then it is better than not having the fan. I measured something like a 15 degree drop with the fan just pointing a IR gun at the top of the AVR when like your experience it "wasn't really even doing much."

Unless the AVR is on the top shelf with nothing above it ventilation specification/requirements might not be met. I am sure that there are a ton of 929 owners that don't meet these:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onkyo TX-NR929 Manual Ventilation Requirements
18. If you install the apparatus in a built-in installation,
such as a bookcase or rack, ensure that there is
adequate ventilation.
Leave 20 cm (8") of free space at the top and
sides and 10 cm (4") at the rear. The rear edge of
the shelf or board above the apparatus shall be
set 10 cm (4") away from the rear panel or wall,
creating a flue-like gap for warm air to escape.
I might or might not meet those requirements in the future depending on what my WAF allows so a fan fixes the issue and gives peace of mind...

IMO there is a trade off between saying that something should work fine so therefore there is no reason to add extra margin and fixing a potential problem. There are also other factors that should be included. If you are running 9 channels of amplification driving a lot of watts that put more heat in the AVR then the fan becomes even more beneficial.

I compare the ventilation of an AVR to my car should which be able to go 0-60 in 6 seconds. Nothing is stopping me from doing that right out of my garage before the oil is warm. It will do it, I am not sure if the manual even says not to but it isn't what is expected or how they calculated the failure rates. If I were to push the car hard while the oil is cold every day the car surely wouldn't last long...

I could probably get either the car or AVR fixed under warranty should something go wrong but it is a pain and I want it to last beyond the warranty period...

I actually take this a step further with external amplifiers which certainly isn't required but is fun for me. My 929 doesn't even get warm under heavy usage.

-Rich

Onkyo TX-NR929 as an Audyssey DSX 11.2 Pre-Pro w/ 0.05% THD All Ch Driven External Amps
Adcom GFA-7500 150W/ch (WL/L/C/R/WR), Adcom GFA-7607 100W/ch (FHL/FHR/SR/SBR/SBL/SL)
Home Theater Direct Lvl 3 Tower L/C/R (Older Dome Tweeter Versions), Dual 12" Subs
Home Theater Direct Lvl 2 Tower WL/WR, BkShelf SBL/SBR. Middy FHL/FHR, AIM In Ceiling SL/SR

Last edited by rfb6435; 12-23-2014 at 12:33 PM.
post #593 of 595 Old 12-24-2014, 07:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Well mine is located in wide open on the floor on top of a subdude so there isn't a issue with ventilation. Just that I feel the video chip portion gets much hotter than I feel it needs to. I was thinking of picking up some tiny heat sinks and mounting them using arctic thermal paste.

http://www.amazon.com/Cosmos-Aluminu...rds=heat+sinks

Shouldn't be hard to take the case off and mount them. However I dont know which chips are the culprits of the heat. Maybe stick it on all of them? Another issue is I'm not sure I want to void the warranty on a new electronic by putting these in. Maybe I should wait 2 years when the warranty expires?
post #594 of 595 Old Today, 10:54 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Well mine is located in wide open on the floor on top of a subdude so there isn't a issue with ventilation. Just that I feel the video chip portion gets much hotter than I feel it needs to. I was thinking of picking up some tiny heat sinks and mounting them using arctic thermal paste.

Shouldn't be hard to take the case off and mount them. However I dont know which chips are the culprits of the heat. Maybe stick it on all of them? Another issue is I'm not sure I want to void the warranty on a new electronic by putting these in. Maybe I should wait 2 years when the warranty expires?
It would be easier to mount a fan on top of the reciever.
I don't understand why someone would want to do somthing that will void the warranty.
As said before, an external cooling fan will dramaticly reduce the temperature. It is easy to do and it's risk free ..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	102.5 KB
ID:	442570  
post #595 of 595 Old Today, 12:06 PM

Quote:

I don't follow the logic of opening the case to put $6 worth of heat sinks on chips along with the thermal compound vs just putting a fan on top. Waiting 2 years seems even worse because you are then potentially aging the components with heat the whole time. IMO it is either add a fan from the start or don't worry about it.

Granted Onkyo did make the job harder on the 929 when they removed the rear USB port. You might need a current sensing power strip and a USB wall adapter to power the fan. I am using my power center with a trigger so I don't have that issue. The 809 was much easier because it had a rear USB port with enough current capacity to power the fan and older units with a switched outlet were even easier (but people ruined that by plugging amplifiers into the switched outlet).

-Rich

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Nr929 9 2 Channel Network A V Receiver
Gear in this thread - Nr929 by PriceGrabber.com