The "Official" Onkyo TX-NR929 Owner's Thread - Page 21 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #601 of 629 Old 01-06-2015, 05:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by maids View Post
Can anyone help with settings. need setup for dummies
We set to factory settings and now it is quieter than before. need to bump up the volume. What to do next please
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #602 of 629 Old 01-22-2015, 07:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
We set to factory settings and now it is quieter than before. need to bump up the volume. What to do next please

Are you still looking for 929 settings for "better volume"?

post #603 of 629 Old 01-22-2015, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntelliVolume View Post
Are you still looking for 929 settings for "better volume"?
we re did the audio with the mic and it is now ok.

The other thing I dont understand is why we cant change the sound on the tv from all chanel surround
post #604 of 629 Old 01-22-2015, 09:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
we re did the audio with the mic and it is now ok.

The other thing I dont understand is why we cant change the sound on the tv from all chanel surround

Interesting; because I was gonna suggest some manual settings...

Normally, to me, they work better for my speakers with no equalization or Audyssey applied; but if you're enjoying it now that's all that matters.

post #605 of 629 Old 01-22-2015, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Interesting; because I was gonna suggest some manual settings...

Normally, to me, they work better for my speakers with no equalization or Audyssey applied; but if you're enjoying it now that's all that matters.
would love to know the setting as my husband is deaf in one ear and would like to adjust to compesate
post #606 of 629 Old 01-22-2015, 11:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
would love to know the setting as my husband is deaf in one ear and would like to adjust to compesate

Oh well, I'm not 100-percent sure my settings would yield absolutely ideal sound based on your husband's hearing; it really is dependent on room setup...but let me take a stab at it and you can get back to me with any thoughts...

Okay -- in the SPEAKER CALIBRATION menu of the Onkyo, try setting the FRONT LEFT channel to "+6dB", the CENTER channel to "+8dB" and the FRONT RIGHT channel to "+6dB" -- that is, IF your two main front speakers are EQUIDISTANT from your listening position (they are the same distance each). Now, scroll to the SURROUND channels and try the RIGHT SURROUND also at "+6dB" and the LEFT SURROUND at "+6dB" -- IF both surround speakers are EQUIDISTANT from your ear(s) when you're sitting in the "sweet spot." If you're sitting CLOSER to one surround channel than the other, LOWER that channel's dB level to sort of "match" the output of the other one; you'll have to test this with some DVDs and Blu-rays, etc...

If you're using a subwoofer, try leaving this on "+2dB" for the moment -- bass is another area where you have to tweak to your room and volume levels; you have to see if when you CRANK DVDs and Blu-rays if the bass is "bottoming out" from the sub and if so, REDUCE the calibration level. In my system, "+2dB" tends to shake the walls with really bass-heavy material without making the sub sound like it's gonna come apart...

If you have a setting for "LPF of LFE," set this to "120Hz".

Now, depending on what input you use in the Onkyo -- let's say "DVD/BD" -- go into the SOURCE SETUP in the SETUP menu and scroll down to "INTELLIVOLUME." Crank this up to "+10dB"...let me know when you've made these settings...

post #607 of 629 Old 01-23-2015, 06:15 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys,

Just got an Integra 60.5, pretty much the same as the 929 so I thought I'd post here. I just replaced an old Onkyo SR503, I'm using coax for my DirecTV STB and just running the HDMI straight to my TV. My question is, is there a way to decrease the time it takes from the receiver turning on until I get sound? It currently takes about 18 seconds, it took like 5 max on my old Onkyo. I get that HDMI handshakes take awhile but I'm just using audio and it takes just as long if I use the TV/CD input which has no HDMI associated with it.

Thanks,
Justin
post #608 of 629 Old 01-27-2015, 12:29 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by mestguy182 View Post
Hey guys,

Just got an Integra 60.5, pretty much the same as the 929 so I thought I'd post here. I just replaced an old Onkyo SR503, I'm using coax for my DirecTV STB and just running the HDMI straight to my TV. My question is, is there a way to decrease the time it takes from the receiver turning on until I get sound? It currently takes about 18 seconds, it took like 5 max on my old Onkyo. I get that HDMI handshakes take awhile but I'm just using audio and it takes just as long if I use the TV/CD input which has no HDMI associated with it.

Thanks,
Justin
It might be faster if you set the input you are using to be a component/compostite/svideo video source instead of HDMI. I am not home or I would try it to see if it is faster.

With that said I think it always does HDMI startup when powered on.

-Rich

Onkyo TX-NR929 as an Audyssey DSX 11.2 Preamplifier w/ 0.05% THD All Ch Driven External Amps
Adcom GFA-7500 150W/ch (WL/L/C/R/WR), Adcom GFA-7607 100W/ch (FHL/FHR/SR/SBR/SBL/SL)
Home Theater Direct L3 Tower L/R, Center (1st Gen Dome Tweeters), Dual 12" Subs
Home Theater Direct L2 Tower WL/WR, Bookshelf SBL/SBR, Angled In Ceiling FHL/FHR/SL/SR
Acer H9500BD 1080p 3D Projector with Monoprice 106" Multi-Format Screen.
post #609 of 629 Old 01-28-2015, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Oh well, I'm not 100-percent sure my settings would yield absolutely ideal sound based on your husband's hearing; it really is dependent on room setup...but let me take a stab at it and you can get back to me with any thoughts...

Okay -- in the SPEAKER CALIBRATION menu of the Onkyo, try setting the FRONT LEFT channel to "+6dB", the CENTER channel to "+8dB" and the FRONT RIGHT channel to "+6dB" -- that is, IF your two main front speakers are EQUIDISTANT from your listening position (they are the same distance each). Now, scroll to the SURROUND channels and try the RIGHT SURROUND also at "+6dB" and the LEFT SURROUND at "+6dB" -- IF both surround speakers are EQUIDISTANT from your ear(s) when you're sitting in the "sweet spot." If you're sitting CLOSER to one surround channel than the other, LOWER that channel's dB level to sort of "match" the output of the other one; you'll have to test this with some DVDs and Blu-rays, etc...

If you're using a subwoofer, try leaving this on "+2dB" for the moment -- bass is another area where you have to tweak to your room and volume levels; you have to see if when you CRANK DVDs and Blu-rays if the bass is "bottoming out" from the sub and if so, REDUCE the calibration level. In my system, "+2dB" tends to shake the walls with really bass-heavy material without making the sub sound like it's gonna come apart...

If you have a setting for "LPF of LFE," set this to "120Hz".

Now, depending on what input you use in the Onkyo -- let's say "DVD/BD" -- go into the SOURCE SETUP in the SETUP menu and scroll down to "INTELLIVOLUME." Crank this up to "+10dB"...let me know when you've made these settings...
just plugged in a turntable into phono and hubby wants to know how to change the sound. It is on all channel stereo
post #610 of 629 Old 01-29-2015, 05:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
just plugged in a turntable into phono and hubby wants to know how to change the sound. It is on all channel stereo

First: Did you try the settings I spent some time typing out to you?

Now: What do you mean by "changing the sound"? If you want the turntable's audio just to come out of the two front speakers, select the STEREO mode on the Onkyo...

post #611 of 629 Old 01-29-2015, 08:11 PM

Quote:
First: Did you try the settings I spent some time typing out to you?

Yes thank you

Now: What do you mean by "changing the sound"? If you want the turntable's audio just to come out of the two front speakers, select the STEREO mode on the Onkyo...
He wants to change the sound to something other than stereo like you can with movies played from the computer
post #612 of 629 Old 01-30-2015, 10:16 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
He wants to change the sound to something other than stereo like you can with movies played from the computer
Vinyl records are only recorded with 2 channel stereo. There are no surround channels. There are some modes that add reverb, etc to the stereo sound. Try Orchestra, Unplugged, studio mix or Theater-Dimensional. Which one you like will depend on your music, room, speakers & personal preferences.
post #613 of 629 Old 01-30-2015, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_gallup View Post
Vinyl records are only recorded with 2 channel stereo. There are no surround channels. There are some modes that add reverb, etc to the stereo sound. Try Orchestra, Unplugged, studio mix or Theater-Dimensional. Which one you like will depend on your music, room, speakers & personal preferences.
Thats the problem we cant get it to change from all channel surround
post #614 of 629 Old 02-06-2015, 01:40 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
929 shuts down when i turn off the TV

Really not sure what I'm doing wrong... When i listen to a SACD/DVD I like to have the screen off. Never had a problem until i setup my 929. I know it's something I did wrong, but can't figure it out. I have a Oppo 95, a Samsung 50 lcd and after i have started my disc from the menu, I turn the tv off and everything shits down. The TV, CDplayer and 929 all plug into a powerstrip. I have switched the plugs around on the powerstrip and nothing fixes the problem

The only thing i have connected to the 929 from the tv is an optical OUT, ( for broadcast tv), AND the HDMI that connects to the Main Out on the 929. is there something in the settings of the of the TV or the 929 that i need to change? hope this makes some kind of sense. thanks!
post #615 of 629 Old 02-06-2015, 06:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

First -- what did you think of the settings?

With regard to his wanting to change the sound to something other than two channel stereo...as had been suggested, try playing around with the "DSP" modes on the Onkyo, such as All Channel Stereo or Pro Logic II Music, though these are often not worth the price of admission for stereo tracks (Pro Logic II Music can work on some records and CDs).

post #616 of 629 Old 02-09-2015, 08:23 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmagnum4ce View Post
Really not sure what I'm doing wrong... When i listen to a SACD/DVD I like to have the screen off. Never had a problem until i setup my 929. I know it's something I did wrong, but can't figure it out. I have a Oppo 95, a Samsung 50 lcd and after i have started my disc from the menu, I turn the tv off and everything shits down. The TV, CDplayer and 929 all plug into a powerstrip. I have switched the plugs around on the powerstrip and nothing fixes the problem

The only thing i have connected to the 929 from the tv is an optical OUT, ( for broadcast tv), AND the HDMI that connects to the Main Out on the 929. is there something in the settings of the of the TV or the 929 that i need to change? hope this makes some kind of sense. thanks!
That is controlled by the RIHD portion of the HDMI standard. You can turn it off.
post #617 of 629 Old 02-13-2015, 12:36 AM

Quote:
First -- what did you think of the settings?

With regard to his wanting to change the sound to something other than two channel stereo...as had been suggested, try playing around with the "DSP" modes on the Onkyo, such as All Channel Stereo or Pro Logic II Music, though these are often not worth the price of admission for stereo tracks (Pro Logic II Music can work on some records and CDs).
but thats what I am saying for some reason it will not change to anything other than all channel stereo which was set during setup
post #618 of 629 Old 02-13-2015, 01:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
but thats what I am saying for some reason it will not change to anything other than all channel stereo which was set during setup

If the processor inside the receiver isn't letting you select any other mode outside of All Channel Stereo, something is wrong with the unit...can you return it?

post #619 of 629 Old 02-13-2015, 01:53 AM

Its only on the phono radio and TV. anything from the computer is fine
post #620 of 629 Old 02-13-2015, 06:53 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Try pressing the "Receiver" button on the Remote. You can then change the DSP selections. You must press Receiver button each time you want to change these settings if you have pressed any other input buttons after first pressing the Receiver button.

Last edited by ESSNEFF; 02-13-2015 at 09:22 AM.
post #621 of 629 Old 02-13-2015, 09:14 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Its only on the phono radio and TV. anything from the computer is fine
Have you tried pushing the music button on the remote? Or try the pure audio button on the receiver to have it just come out of the fronts.
post #622 of 629 Old 02-13-2015, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichiPuppy View Post
Have you tried pushing the music button on the remote? Or try the pure audio button on the receiver to have it just come out of the fronts.

What "Music" button are you talking about?

post #623 of 629 Old 02-13-2015, 02:37 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
The one on the remote that also says repeat or green B. It cycles through the audio output on the source you are on.
post #624 of 629 Old 02-13-2015, 04:08 PM

Pressed receiver button which powers off Onkyo, pressed Music (repeat button) no change stays on all chanel
post #625 of 629 Old 02-13-2015, 04:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichiPuppy View Post
The one on the remote that also says repeat or green B. It cycles through the audio output on the source you are on.

Oh, then never mind -- I didn't know there was a "Music" button on the 929's remote; I had assumed it was like all other previous Onkyo AVRs and their remotes, and I had never seen a "Music" button...

Carry on...

post #626 of 629 Old 02-14-2015, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Pressed receiver button which powers off Onkyo, pressed Music (repeat button) no change stays on all chanel
Looking at the Remote, the 6th horizontal row has a button called RECIEVER, it is next to MUTING.
After you power up the Onkyo and select a Source (Input) be it BD or CBL/SAT or whatever you have, then press the above mentioned RECIEVER button.
Your DSP MODES can now be changed by scrolling thru the choices available with the FOUR BUTTONS just above the NUMBERS.
The letters A,B,C,D are underneath them in colors RED, GREEN etc. They are MOVIE/TV, MUSIC, GAME and THX.
Press one of these that corresponds to your source material although you may choose any of them at any time.
There are enough choices to satisfy just about anyone.
In the SETUP MENU you can configure the ONKYO to retain the setting of your choice for each INPUT.
I hope this helps!

Last edited by ESSNEFF; 02-14-2015 at 07:20 AM.
post #627 of 629 Old 02-14-2015, 04:20 PM

Thank you so much, finally got it working. All this time we though we could not change the sound on the radio phono or TV. Can wait to watch a football game now on TV
post #628 of 629 Old 02-15-2015, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Thank you so much, finally got it working. All this time we though we could not change the sound on the radio phono or TV. Can wait to watch a football game now on TV
Happy to help.
Try to obtain a copy of the Manual @ ONKYOUSA.com.
It will help you to enjoy all the features of your AVR.
post #629 of 629 Old Today, 12:15 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by ESSNEFF View Post
Happy to help.
Try to obtain a copy of the Manual @ ONKYOUSA.com.
It will help you to enjoy all the features of your AVR.

You can also download a pdf copy of the manual here: http://filedepot.onkyousa.com/Files/...929_En_web.pdf
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Nr929 9 2 Channel Network A V Receiver
Gear in this thread - Nr929 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page