The "Official" Onkyo TX-NR929 Owner's Thread - Page 22 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #631 of 642 Old 03-02-2015, 02:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsar View Post
What kind of additional amplifier do I need to utilize all of the 929 speaker outputs?
Simple answer: a 2-channel amp with unbalanced inputs at 50 - 100 watts/channel should suffice for most.
You only need it to drive your two front wides.

1 example

Onkyo TX-NR929/11.1 | Outlaw 7125 | Polk:  CSi A6 C | RTi A9 powered by qsc gx5  L&R | tsx110b Ht,Wd,SS and SB | Sub - Rythmik FV15HP | Samsung 60" UN60F8000BF | Samsung BD-F5900 | Theater Room
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 642 Old 03-05-2015, 05:38 PM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ckindt View Post
Simple answer: a 2-channel amp with unbalanced inputs at 50 - 100 watts/channel should suffice for most.

1 example
It is nice that the 5010 is available new and will match nicely on an AV rack. I had an onkyo M282 which is basically just an older (and better) version of the 5010 for exactly this purpose but I sold it a few months ago.

The M282 is 100w/ch @ .08% THD, where the 5010 is only 75w/ch @ .08% THD all at 8 ohms. I see the 5010 available for $250 at a couple of places where the M282 should cost half of that used if you find the right deal.

Sonamp (260s/270) and Rotel (RB-960/RB-970) are also a great option for a cheap 2 channel amp in the 60w range used...

I decided that for the rack space I might aswell get a 5 channel amp that is designed for a 5.1 system to run WL, L, C, R, WR. The 5 channel amplifiers have similar footprints to the 100w/ch 2 channel amplifiers. Given that I needed an amplifier anyway to run 11.1 and this gets more heat out of the unit.

I find used Adcom amplifiers to be the best bang for the buck as you can see in my signature...

There are several good used options where you can get 5 channel 100w @ 8ohm amplifiers for $350 or less.

Examples of really good cheap 5 channel amplifiers include: Adcom GFA-7000 (135w), Adcom GFA-7400, Adcom GFA-7605 (really the same exact amp as the 7400 just rated at 1% THD in a new case), Adcom GFA-6000 (3x100, 2x60 but only $200 or so), Rotel RB-985 (either mkI or mkII).

For something flexible used the Rotel RMB-1066 and Rotel RB-976 are bridgeable 6 channel amplifiers that can run either 6x60W or 3x150W @ 8ohms.

-Rich

Onkyo TX-NR929 as an Audyssey DSX 11.2 Preamplifier w/ 0.05% THD All Ch Driven External Amps
Adcom GFA-7500 150W/ch (WL/L/C/R/WR), Adcom GFA-7607 100W/ch (FHL/FHR/SR/SBR/SBL/SL)
Home Theater Direct L3 Tower L/R, Center (1st Gen Dome Tweeters), Dual 12" Subs
Home Theater Direct L2 Tower WL/WR, Bookshelf SBL/SBR, Angled In Ceiling FHL/FHR/SL/SR
Acer H9500BD 1080p 3D Projector with Monoprice 106" Multi-Format Screen.

Last edited by rfb6435; 03-05-2015 at 05:42 PM.
post #633 of 642 Old 03-06-2015, 05:46 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ckindt View Post

1 example
I use a Crown X1000 for the Wides. 200W per channel. I Paid $99 for it. I could not detect a difference between my Emotiva XPA-5 and the Crown when running them on the Front speakers.
post #634 of 642 Old 03-07-2015, 05:14 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 379 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsar View Post
What kind of additional amplifier do I need to utilize all of the 929 speaker outputs?
To get 11.1 audio you have to add a stereo amplifier. Without it the receiver only does 9.1. (the sub outputs are like a y connector and mono so the 929 should really have been called 9.1 not 9.2)

Just about any amplifier will do so if you have an existing vintage receiver with an adapter patch bay on the back for graphic EQ you can use the input half of that patch bay (you can also use the aux input if you leave the volume set to about 50% and disable tone and loudness and boost/cut filters), but if you want quality sound from the wides equal to what the rest of the channels are capable of you should plan on a receiver or integrated stereo amp that will output ~130WPC into 8 ohms.

Note that the center speaker will be doing most of the work so you can probably get by with less wattage on the wides but if you have to buy new you should probably match the capability of the receiver anyway.

Only 3 titles were released in Neo:x encoding so the only advantage of the wide or height speakers in Neo:x decoding with this receiver is in 'upmixing' for ambiance extraction. DSX does something similar but seems not to work very well IMO, probably because it tries to simulate reflections of a large room rather than just working with the program ambiance.

Speaker placement is critical. Your wides need to be right between your front mains and side surrounds, along the side walls and at the same height as the front mains or only slightly higher.

Your heights should be in/on the ceiling directly above the center of the room and spaced left to right about the same l/r separation as your left/right mains. If not in/on the ceiling then maybe try separating them more to the l/r and placing in the edge between side wall and ceiling.

Typical instructions place the heights as high up as possible on the front wall or in other words in the edge between front wall and ceiling. IMO this does not give them enough separation from the front l/r mains and reduces their imaging. They need to be closer to the front-to-back center of the room and preferably in/on the ceiling so that they sound like they are coming from directly overhead. If they are in the center of the room front-to-back they also occupy the space between the wides and side surrounds and that helps add separation by maximizing their distance to all other channels.

Note that deviating from the typical instructions (front wall as high as possible) as I suggested will make the 'screeen centered dialog' function add center channel to the mains and also to the heights that are directly overhead. That might sound odd with center channel dialog directly overhead, but IME 'screen centered dialog' sounds oddly monoaural anyway. I only use it for dialog intelligibility at very low volumes.

If you position any of the speakers in odd places you may find the imaging is not good due to speakers being too close to each other and not hearing any separation between them. The more speakers there are in a room, the more critical it is to ensure they all have maximally distant angular separation from each other as measured from the main listening position. My recommendation to put the heights overhead in line with the l/r mains maximizes the separation and that gives the most pleasing result with Neo:x upmix IMO.

Remember, if you are using Dynamic EQ for listening substantially below reference (-15dB or lower) you might want to adjust the side/rear surround levels down about 2dB, or if you have run out of downward adjustment range like me you can increase all the other non-subwoofer levels up about 2dB instead. Dynamic EQ applies more level boost to the surrounds the lower the volume control is set and IMO it makes the image sound unnaturally 'inside the head' like listening through headphones, with almost no front-to-back depth at all, particularly with surround music. Reducing the relative output of the surrounds restores the natural front-to-back balance. THX Loudness Plus (configurable in the setup menu) also increases surround level at lower volumes but the change is so subtle it is hardly noticeable.
post #635 of 642 Old 03-11-2015, 12:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Had my new 929 since Nov, I noticed that just in the past couple weeks it sounds like there is a rely click randomly when the AVR is on. This is with the same source with same audio codec. Just clicks sometimes. Wonder why?
post #636 of 642 Old 04-08-2015, 06:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatse View Post
Had my new 929 since Nov, I noticed that just in the past couple weeks it sounds like there is a rely click randomly when the AVR is on. This is with the same source with same audio codec. Just clicks sometimes. Wonder why?
Onkyo receivers only enable speakers that exist in the sound mode. Even though I have 11.1 setup it still makes these clicks when the sound mode changes the number of speakers that are active.

Additionally, some Onkyo receivers have more speaker output terminals than amplifiers so that you can install more speakers than exist in your available sound modes e.g. 929 without external amp has front high, front wide, rear surround available but only two of the three may be used simultaneously because there are only 9.1 amps in the receiver so the receiver has to switch the speaker outputs on the amps in order to use all of the speakers in their various mutually exclusive sound modes.

You can eliminate these clicks but it is a painstaking process. You have two choices. You can either specify via the colored buttons a single synthesized sound mode for each input stream (such as Neo:x or PLIIx-DSX) that uses all available speakers without re-mapping the speaker connections, and let the 'last valid' mode control the sound mode, or you can go into the setup menu, override 'last valid', and specify the same synthesized sound mode for every input format there. You can specify by physical input and by input format since every physical input has a sound mode for each input format i.e. analog, dolby digital, dts etc.

If you use the native sound mode for every input stream, or you select different sound modes for different input streams, you will hear clicking every time the stream changes, such as when the DVD or Blu Ray starts in stereo on the menu and switches to surround in the movie, or when a commercial comes on in stereo in the middle of a surround TV program, etc.
post #637 of 642 Old 04-08-2015, 06:18 PM
Advanced Member

Anybody know what the network chip defect issue causes for symptoms?

Does it cause momentary black-out of the screen and loss of audio for no apparent reason?

Does it happen even with networking disabled?

Does it cause flickering on component input color/intensity?

Does it cause momentary bursts of video noise when switching between video formats on component input?

Trying to diagnose if it is my components or my receiver... but no real frame of reference to check against. Anyone have it repaired already? What were your symptoms?
post #638 of 642 Old 05-16-2015, 07:19 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Hi
On my TX-NR929 I somehow changed something in Setup - Picture Adjust for HDMI5 such a way (some kind of Standard position) that only blue screen is seen (480p resolution) without possibility to return any more to the Home Setup screen as needed (only the blue one). For other inputs the Receiver - Home - Setup works still.
How I can set this Standard back to Custom again?

BR

Lauri

Last edited by Carat_EST; 05-16-2015 at 07:52 AM.
post #639 of 642 Old 06-10-2015, 11:32 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Having an issue with my receiver this morning. I have all my sound going through to my tv speaker for all my components. As far as I know nothing has changed with my setup but now the only sound from the tv I can get is the tv itself and its built in menus. Nothing from any of my components.

I've looked through the menus and things seem unchanged. Is there anything else I can check or something I might be missing?
post #640 of 642 Old 06-10-2015, 11:53 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Just another quick note that whichever source I choose to simply pass through when the unit is on standby/off, works just fine. Just when the receiver is on is it stopping any audio going through even though everything is set to tv speaker!
post #641 of 642 Old 08-01-2015, 10:33 PM
Advanced Member

What is Phase Matching Bass and should I use it?

Might be useful to you 929 owners.
post #642 of 642 Unread Today, 07:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Android App: how to bring up "menu" due to floating menu button gone?

Dear All:

i've used the Onkyo Android app for years and it's alright, of course much better than not having an Android app!

that said, i was prompted by the app that a new Onkyo app was available and i tried it, it was worse for me, often disconnecting (like every other day) and requires a power unplug of the Model AVR TX-NR929 in order for the new Onkyo app to reconnect.

so i was frustrated, and i decided to start using the OLDER Onkyo app (now named 2.3 on the app icon) again. however, the floating menu button has disappeared and i can't get it back. typically, almost all apps have a "3 dashes" on the upper left or right corner to bring up that particular app's menu. NOT ONKYO's app! poor design, however, one must live with what is available.

all current mobile phones no longer have a dedicated menu button anymore, so i'm truly stuck, now that the floating Onkyo menu button is gone.

may i ask how to bring up the menu button please? thanks in advance.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Nr929 9 2 Channel Network A V Receiver
Gear in this thread - Nr929 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page