The "Official" Onkyo TX-NR929 Owner's Thread - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 569 Old 12-23-2013, 03:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Ditto no problems with bluetooth here using a Samsung Galaxy S4 or a Kindle Fire HDX. You didn't mention the distance from the device to your reciever - bluetooth has limited range, i think technically around 30 ft but for reliable audio I get about 15-20 if there are no walls or anything blocking transmission.

"It's been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtures" - Abraham Lincoln
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 569 Old 12-24-2013, 06:18 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon64v View Post

Ditto no problems with bluetooth here using a Samsung Galaxy S4 or a Kindle Fire HDX. You didn't mention the distance from the device to your reciever - bluetooth has limited range, i think technically around 30 ft but for reliable audio I get about 15-20 if there are no walls or anything blocking transmission.

Falcon,

I was inches away from the receiver not sure what was going on but I had been messing with it for two days. Came home from work last night and connected through the phone instead of trying to pair through the receiver, and it worked flawlessly.  Go figure, problem solved.

Thanks!

MM

post #63 of 569 Old 12-24-2013, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryaneagon View Post

Congrats!

Make sure you are not on Video Bypass mode on the input you want to watch. I noticed this too. For some reason with this enabled you don't get a on screen display. I have mine set to custom with everything set to off, and resolution to through. Or you can set it to upscale if needed too!

I haven't had a issue with bluetooth cutting out using a iPhone 5. I haven't used it much, but it's been flawless when I do. Maybe try a different device if possible.

Hope this helps.
Merry Christmas!

-Ryan

Ryan,

You called it right on the money... video was in bypass mode.  All is now good in the world.  Bluetooth miraculously fixed itself too!

Thank you so much as it was driving me crazy.  

Ok, just one more question...  Is it normal to have to crank the volume up to just over 50 -60 to hear movies/music at a decent level or are my ears just blown out from all that rock and roll music I listened to at such high volumes as a kid?  Had to do the same with my old Onkyo too.   Seems to me the receiver shouldn't have to work so hard.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all!

-MM 

post #64 of 569 Old 12-24-2013, 07:23 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 91
As Ryan stated, the OSD is not present when Bypass is enabled. This is because all video processing is cut off and the OSD requires some form of processing to be enabled.

Yes , it is normal to go that high. The receiver isn't working hard at that level, probably only a few watts are being used. Reference level is at 85, so if movies are loud to you at 50 or 60, you're fine. I have my volume set to relative and usually listen around -20 to -15 (65 to 70). At this level, average spl is around 70 dbs with 90 db peaks. Reference level would be 85 db average with 105 db peaks, or ear bleeding loud. At my listening distance of 4.7 meters and my speakers efficiency rating of 97 dbs, to hit my 90 db peaks, the receiver uses 10 watts of power.
arpboy likes this.

fdsfds
post #65 of 569 Old 12-24-2013, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Riddle View Post

As Ryan stated, the OSD is not present when Bypass is enabled. This is because all video processing is cut off and the OSD requires some form of processing to be enabled.

Yes , it is normal to go that high. The receiver isn't working hard at that level, probably only a few watts are being used. Reference level is at 85, so if movies are loud to you at 50 or 60, you're fine. I have my volume set to relative and usually listen around -20 to -15 (65 to 70). At this level, average spl is around 70 dbs with 90 db peaks. Reference level would be 85 db average with 105 db peaks, or ear bleeding loud. At my listening distance of 4.7 meters and my speakers efficiency rating of 97 dbs, to hit my 90 db peaks, the receiver uses 10 watts of power.

I too have my volume set to relative level. I usually listen to movies around -15. For music concerts sometimes I'll hit -5.....I Love a great sounding concert in Lossless audio! cool.gif

Hope This Helps.

Have a Merry Christmas

-Ryan
post #66 of 569 Old 12-30-2013, 11:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 43
TYPO correction:
Discussing a comparison of receivers I mentioned the 818 is a lesser model than the 828. I meant the opposite, sorry.

Still loving mine. Still running cool.

Patrick
post #67 of 569 Old 12-31-2013, 01:09 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked: 1608
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMax View Post

Ryan,

You called it right on the money... video was in bypass mode.  All is now good in the world.  Bluetooth miraculously fixed itself too!
Thank you so much as it was driving me crazy.  

Ok, just one more question...  Is it normal to have to crank the volume up to just over 50 -60 to hear movies/music at a decent level or are my ears just blown out from all that rock and roll music I listened to at such high volumes as a kid?  Had to do the same with my old Onkyo too.   Seems to me the receiver shouldn't have to work so hard.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all!
-MM 

Unlike receivers from years past, most current AVRs use a logarithmic volume such that the "average" volume will generally be 50-70% of maximum, where you generally don't want to go above 80% of maximum to ensure sufficient headroom is still available.
arpboy likes this.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 
Daily 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer Elite, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #68 of 569 Old 12-31-2013, 11:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 566 Post(s)
Liked: 578
Quote:
Originally Posted by yadfgp View Post

Too add onto my previous post ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

I just looked in the 818 manual, and here are the settings that the 818 offers as far as NR and Edge Enhancement type settings ETC...

So the 818 has the following...

“Edge Enhancement”
“Noise Reduction”
“Mosquito NR”
“Random NR”
“Block NR”

And the 929 only has the following...

“Edge Enhancement”
“Noise Reduction”

And that's it! Which as I said earlier, leads me to believe that the lack of the other video options is why my picture quality is of less quality on the 929 than when it was on the 818.

Hopefully this is NOT the case, and that within time, as my 929 gets broken in, the PQ will get better.

The 818 used the HQV video processor, which was removed on the 929.
post #69 of 569 Old 01-01-2014, 06:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 40
^ ^ ^ ^ ^

That's interesting to know, thanks Film Mixer. smile.gif

I had wondered about that earlier. Now that my 929's broken in, the PQ on my TV is as good as I can recall it being back when I had my 818.

Still haven't had any issues with the 929. Just don't understand why more people don't seem to own this thing.

It's blasphemy!!!!!!!
ryaneagon likes this.

1 Mitsubishi WD-82642 82" TV
1 Onkyo TX-NR929 11.4 setup
2 Emotiva XPA-5's
1 Emotiva XPA-100
1 Definitive Technology CLR 3000 (Center)
2 Definitive Technology BP2004TL's (Mains)
2 Definitive Technology ProMonitor 1000's (Heights)
6 Definitive Technology BPX's (Rears Wides Sides)
4 CHT VS-18.1 Subs
post #70 of 569 Old 01-01-2014, 07:54 AM

Liked: 16
Got my 929 yesterday, so far think it's great, will report back soon as have some more time with it!

Bill
post #71 of 569 Old 01-01-2014, 08:50 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

^ ^ ^ ^ ^

That's interesting to know, thanks Film Mixer. smile.gif

I had wondered about that earlier. Now that my 929's broken in, the PQ on my TV is as good as I can recall it being back when I had my 818.

Still haven't had any issues with the 929. Just don't understand why more people don't seem to own this thing.

It's blasphemy!!!!!!!

I'm with you, truly one of the greatest receivers released in 2013, with very little fanfare. I'm sure it has something to do with the failed HDMI board debacle of the past, but as Onkyo continues to release a strong lineup and quality products, more people will get on the bandwagon!

fdsfds
post #72 of 569 Old 01-01-2014, 11:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Hello 929 owners,

I am currently using a 709 as a pre amp with an Outlaw Audio 7125. I am thinking about upgrading to either the 929 or the Denon X4000. I have never owned Denon and the 709 is my 5th Onkyo. I have tried Yamaha and Pioneer and still prefer the Onkyo sound. My debate over the 929 and X4000 though has to do with getting ready to go to 2 subs. The X4000 has the Audyssey Sub EQ XT and the 929 does not. So the question is, for the multiple sub owners, how does the 929 handle the setup of those for you?

Thanks,

Lowell

The MARVELous Home Theater: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...e-theater.html
post #73 of 569 Old 01-01-2014, 12:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowellG View Post

Hello 929 owners,

I am currently using a 709 as a pre amp with an Outlaw Audio 7125. I am thinking about upgrading to either the 929 or the Denon X4000. I have never owned Denon and the 709 is my 5th Onkyo. I have tried Yamaha and Pioneer and still prefer the Onkyo sound. My debate over the 929 and X4000 though has to do with getting ready to go to 2 subs. The X4000 has the Audyssey Sub EQ XT and the 929 does not. So the question is, for the multiple sub owners, how does the 929 handle the setup of those for you?

Thanks,

It only pings them and sets the delay (distance) as one, both at the same time.

If you are using two of the same subs, and they are equidistant from the main listening position, you should just be able to set them the same (level and phase) and be good to go.

If they are aren't, you can connect one at a time and, set the SPL so they match and adjust accordingly..

If your sub has phase controls, you can run auto setup with only one connected and check the distance setting.

After that, connect the other sub and re-run the auto setup without moving the mic... check the distance setting, and then use the phase control to get it to measure the same as the first one...

Yes it is some work. In the end, however, you should be able to achieve the same results.

Remember however, that even with SubEQ, you only get one correction curve that is applied to both subs... and if you really have two subs that are so different, and it really challenging spots, you might get superior results using just one of them in a more optimal position..

I think Onkyo really has a winner here, even without SubEQ HT and Airplay compared to the X4000...

One thing not mentioned is that the unit appears to offer true 11 channel processing for Neo:X..

If you decide to go down the 929 or X4000 route, I'd highly recommend calling Craig or JD at AVS for a great deal and great customer service.
arpboy likes this.
post #74 of 569 Old 01-01-2014, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member

That's good to hear about the 929 and DTS:Neo-X. ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

I've been running 11 speakers with my 929 the last month or so in specifically Neo-X for movies and stuff and it sounds great to me. biggrin.gif

2 Emotiva XPA-5's
1 Emotiva XPA-100
4 CHT VS-18.1 Subs
post #75 of 569 Old 01-01-2014, 03:47 PM

is 929 enough to power the cerwin vega xls 215??

Any input would be greatly appreciated

Thx!
post #76 of 569 Old 01-01-2014, 04:04 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Reid View Post

is 929 enough to power the cerwin vega xls 215??

Any input would be greatly appreciated

Thx!

With their high sensitivity rating, it should do fine with the 929, if you set the crossover high. If you want to run them full band, you should look into an amplifier. There are some other variables to consider, so follow this link and plug in the required information. Should be a good starting point.

http://www.crownaudio.com/elect-pwr-req.htm

fdsfds
post #77 of 569 Old 01-02-2014, 09:03 AM

Has anyone here had issues with sound drop-outs when using a DirecTV's DVR as the source? (don't have the exact model number in front of me) I'm on my second 929 and still experience the audio drop-outs. It's intermittent and only lasts for a second but it's enough to be annoying. I recently upgraded to the latest firmware and still have this issue. Audio from all other sources (HTPC, Xbox, PS3/4) are working beautifully.

Also, anyone using the built-in video processing? What scenarios would you use it? Currently, I've setting everything to bypass except for the DirecTV which is at 1080P.
post #78 of 569 Old 01-02-2014, 10:54 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FallenCow View Post

Has anyone here had issues with sound drop-outs when using a DirecTV's DVR as the source? (don't have the exact model number in front of me) I'm on my second 929 and still experience the audio drop-outs. It's intermittent and only lasts for a second but it's enough to be annoying. I recently upgraded to the latest firmware and still have this issue. Audio from all other sources (HTPC, Xbox, PS3/4) are working beautifully.

Also, anyone using the built-in video processing? What scenarios would you use it? Currently, I've setting everything to bypass except for the DirecTV which is at 1080P.

You need to verify that the source of the problem isn't DirecTV first. I have this issue with DirecTV and it is 100% on their end, the receiver is just outputting the sound it is being fed. I get drops, cracks, hisses and pops from different channels, some worse than others. I've always had periodic drops, but the other issues manifested around October of 2013. It is very hard to tell this is happening when you are just using the TV speakers, but becomes very noticable once you turn on your system. To verify that DirecTV was the problem, I waited for a drop, rewound it and played it back with just my TV speakers. Most of the time I had to get really close to the TV to tell that it had happened.

fdsfds
post #79 of 569 Old 01-02-2014, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FallenCow View Post

I Don't have DirecTV so I can't comment on that. I do have Dish, PS3, Apple TV, Xbox, None of which have any audio dropouts.

As for Video. I'm in the same boat as you, Bypass all but the dish. (dish is upscaled to 1080p)
post #80 of 569 Old 01-03-2014, 05:57 PM

I finally got all my components together for sound a few weeks ago and have been intermittently playing with it since. Today I got my BenQ W1500 projector and will be setting that up over the next week or so (I'm waiting on the speaker mount).

So - I have 9.2 set up - all speakers/subs are Definitive Technology. The mains are floor mounted towers with built-in powered sub-woofers; the rest of the speakers are @ 7' off the floor angled towards the listening area

Mains - Mythos STs.
Center - Mythos 10
Surrounds - Mythos Gem XLs
Rears - SR8080BPs
Highs - Mythos Gems

I went with SR8080BPs as rears for a few reasons
- You sit 2x the distance from the rears as you do from the surrounds / sides, so I wanted the rears to have a bit of oomph (v. technical term I know)
- I have a 'library alcove' off to one side of the rear of the room and I thought the bi-polar speakers would result in a more even sound from the rear vs. a speaker that is more 'forward-focused'. This is not based on anything other than personal opinion and how I imagine sound waves interact. Any sound engineers reading this are welcome to groan and wince as much as they like.
- I almost got SR8080BPs for Surrounds/Sides too, but the v. helpful support folk at Definitive convinced me to go with the Gem XLs)

I am using separate LFE cables to drive the ST's built-in subs rather than driving then from the speaker wire. I have read completely opposing views on whether it makes any difference or not, and in my setting where I am not stretching any parameters it probably doesn't, but hey, the connections are there on both the TX-NR929 and the speakers themselves so I'm using them.

My room is 24' long by 12.5' wide with a 130" electric drop-down screen for cinema; You sit 12' away from the screen which is right at the max for most folk to be able to keep the entire scene in view without having to move their eyes around and get motion sickness - I may even end up reducing the screen size a bit. Depends on how many guests end up barfing on the bearskin rug in front of the screen.

With the screen virtually the full width of the room my mains are pretty much hard against each wall.

I have my center above the screen because -
- Clear majority of internet opinions said above was better than below (so it must be true, right)
- I can't afford one of the 'sound transparent' (AP?) screens that would let me mount it at ear level behind the screen
- If I put it below my 16:9 screen it would be virtually on the floor)

Center and Main placement probably mean my 'highs' are completely superfluous, but hey, I have 9.2 channels and I'm gonna use every one of those suckers I can!

I'm no audiophile so don't expect me to comment on 'breadth of sound-stage' etc. I'm still playing with which sound settings sound best for different types of music, where exactly I want to sit in the room and a few other parameters. I won't be able to dial in everything until I have my movie-theatre experience set up.

My opinion so far - Sounds great!

Some usage points to note -

Plus

- It is way cool to be able to drive your Onkyo from your iPhone! Double-plus for me as my TX and all associated electronic gizmology are in a walk-in 'network closet' behind the screen. Using my iphone as remote means I don't need to use any remote extenders etc
- You can Bluetooth music stored on your iPhone / smartphone directly to the Onkyo without needing an intermediary device

Minus

-You cannot send iTunes music over your network directly to the Onkyo from your PC or phone , you have to use Windows media or other DLNA compatible player / library.
- You cannot stream PC photos / video direct to the Onkyo over ethernet. This is irritating, I was hoping to be able to do this as I don't really want a DVR / Cable box. Not too much aggravation as I can connect and use an Apple TV; but that means yet another remote to deal with
- Struggling to get the same image to both HDMI outs; I can get the pretty gui version on the primary HDMI when I connect that to PC monitor in the network closet, even though it's only 640 x 480. When I do this I get a legible but character grade display from the secondary HDMI out connected to my projector (full HF 1080p); if I swap the outputs I get the pretty GUI displayed at full 1080p from the projector and a blank screen on the monitor in the network closet. This indicates that the Onkyo is taking whatever it is pushing to the primary output and replicating that to the secondary; Am I being unreasonable in expecting the Onkyo to be able to push the same image at different resolutions out of the 2 HDMI outs? otherwise why bother having two outs as we can always just use a dumb splitter....
- The volume control when you feed audio over Ethernet from your PC or or via Bluetooth from your smartphone etc is clumsy and making small adjustments is hard, especially for those of us with sausage fingers
- Even though you can link to media on whatever device in your home network, making the connection and navigating where you want to go is awkward. The Onkyo seems to struggle to make the connection and access the media, even though it 'sees' the device no problem. When it 'hangs' like this I turn the Onkyo off and on to reset it, then the connection usually works.
- The reverse connection - from PC to Onkyo - is also flakey with the PC 'losing sight' of the Onkyo; while the Onkyo still considers itself to be connected. Rebooting the PC clears the issue, but that is a real pain.
- All devices in my network are connected via 1 gb capable wire - none are using wireless so interference is not the issue.

I would welcome any suggestions on how to optimize my TX-NR929 setup or how I use it; If anyone has a particular scenario they would like tested or if they want to know if it can do 'x' or 'y' I am happy to try that out for you. If you have a question like what does 'z' sound like when you have blah settings I can probably give that a try, but you would need to be very suspicious of any judgment made by my untutored ears.....
post #81 of 569 Old 01-05-2014, 10:45 PM
Advanced Member

I'm not having these connection issues you are mentioning. My 929 is connected with Ethernet to my router and it to my NAS with Ethernet but the rest of my inputs are HDMI. My HTPC has never had a glitch in the picture on my big screen. I've not yet used HDMI Zone 2 out though.

Without using the term "wire" how is everything cabled?

Patrick
post #82 of 569 Old 01-06-2014, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaxCzar View Post

I finally got all my components together for sound a few weeks ago and have been intermittently playing with it since. Today I got my BenQ W1500 projector and will be setting that up over the next week or so (I'm waiting on the speaker mount).

So - I have 9.2 set up - all speakers/subs are Definitive Technology. The mains are floor mounted towers with built-in powered sub-woofers; the rest of the speakers are @ 7' off the floor angled towards the listening area

Mains - Mythos Ts.
Center - Mythos 10
Surrounds - Mythos Gem XLs
Rears - SR8080BPs
Highs - Mythos Gems

I went with SR8080BPs as rears for a few reasons
- You sit 2x the distance from the rears as you do from the surrounds / sides, so I wanted the rears to have a bit of oomph (v. technical term I know)
- I have a 'library alcove' off to one side of the rear of the room and I thought the bi-polar speakers would result in a more even sound from the rear vs. a speaker that is more 'forward-focused'. This is not based on anything other than personal opinion and how I imagine sound waves interact. Any sound engineers reading this are welcome to groan and wince as much as they like.
- I almost got SR8080BPs for Surrounds/Sides too, but the v. helpful support folk at Definitive convinced me to go with the Gem XLs)

I am using separate LFE cables to drive the ST's built-in subs rather than driving then from the speaker wire. I have read completely opposing views on whether it makes any difference or not, and in my setting where I am not stretching any parameters it probably doesn't, but hey, the connections are there on both the TX-NR929 and the speakers themselves so I'm using them.

My room is 24' long by 12.5' wide with a 130" electric drop-down screen for cinema; You sit 12' away from the screen which is right at the max for most folk to be able to keep the entire scene in view without having to move their eyes around and get motion sickness - I may even end up reducing the screen size a bit. Depends on how many guests end up barfing on the bearskin rug in front of the screen.

With the screen virtually the full width of the room my mains are pretty much hard against each wall.

I have my center above the screen because -
- Clear majority of internet opinions said above was better than below (so it must be true, right)
- I can't afford one of the 'sound transparent' (AP?) screens that would let me mount it at ear level behind the screen
- If I put it below my 16:9 screen it would be virtually on the floor)

Center and Main placement probably mean my 'highs' are completely superfluous, but hey, I have 9.2 channels and I'm gonna use every one of those suckers I can!

I'm no audiophile so don't expect me to comment on 'breadth of sound-stage' etc. I'm still playing with which sound settings sound best for different types of music, where exactly I want to sit in the room and a few other parameters. I won't be able to dial in everything until I have my movie-theatre experience set up.

My opinion so far - Sounds great!

Some usage points to note -

Plus

- It is way cool to be able to drive your Onkyo from your iPhone! Double-plus for me as my TX and all associated electronic gizmology are in a walk-in 'network closet' behind the screen. Using my iphone as remote means I don't need to use any remote extenders etc
- You can Bluetooth music stored on your iPhone / smartphone directly to the Onkyo without needing an intermediary device

Minus

-You cannot send iTunes music over your network directly to the Onkyo from your PC or phone , you have to use Windows media or other DLNA compatible player / library.
- You cannot stream PC photos / video direct to the Onkyo over ethernet. This is irritating, I was hoping to be able to do this as I don't really want a DVR / Cable box. Not too much aggravation as I can connect and use an Apple TV; but that means yet another remote to deal with
- Struggling to get the same image to both HDMI outs; I can get the pretty gui version on the primary HDMI when I connect that to PC monitor in the network closet, even though it's only 640 x 480. When I do this I get a legible but character grade display from the secondary HDMI out connected to my projector (full HF 1080p); if I swap the outputs I get the pretty GUI displayed at full 1080p from the projector and a blank screen on the monitor in the network closet. This indicates that the Onkyo is taking whatever it is pushing to the primary output and replicating that to the secondary; Am I being unreasonable in expecting the Onkyo to be able to push the same image at different resolutions out of the 2 HDMI outs? otherwise why bother having two outs as we can always just use a dumb splitter....
- The volume control when you feed audio over Ethernet from your PC or or via Bluetooth from your smartphone etc is clumsy and making small adjustments is hard, especially for those of us with sausage fingers
- Even though you can link to media on whatever device in your home network, making the connection and navigating where you want to go is awkward. The Onkyo seems to struggle to make the connection and access the media, even though it 'sees' the device no problem. When it 'hangs' like this I turn the Onkyo off and on to reset it, then the connection usually works.
- The reverse connection - from PC to Onkyo - is also flakey with the PC 'losing sight' of the Onkyo; while the Onkyo still considers itself to be connected. Rebooting the PC clears the issue, but that is a real pain.
- All devices in my network are connected via 1 gb capable wire - none are using wireless so interference is not the issue.

I would welcome any suggestions on how to optimize my TX-NR929 setup or how I use it; If anyone has a particular scenario they would like tested or if they want to know if it can do 'x' or 'y' I am happy to try that out for you. If you have a question like what does 'z' sound like when you have blah settings I can probably give that a try, but you would need to be very suspicious of any judgment made by my untutored ears.....

Great write up! I too have been enjoying the 929! I recently decided to switch from Yamaha. I'm so glad I did!

How do you like the DT Speakers? Next on my Theater to do list, is upgrade my Klipsch Rf-3 system. Don't get me wrong, they sound incredible with the Onkyo, I've just been looking for a new sound....I've been looking at the Mythos or Martin Logan motion series speakers.
I also see that they have a detected Sub channel...? How do you run the bass management for that? Do you run them full range?....or cut them off? I guess I should do some research...haha!

As far as networked audio, I don't have a issue with DNLA. I run PLEX on my media sever, which is always on. I don't do a lot of music streaming, just Lossless files. (HDTracks SACD Rips) which works perfect for the Onkyo.

I would suggest getting a Apple TV for iTunes music and Photos. At least that's what I use. Works like a charm! And, you can run it directly from your iPhone!

Thanks!
-Ryan
post #83 of 569 Old 01-06-2014, 02:08 PM
Advanced Member

Ryan, I wonder if I'm in the same boat. Now that I've got the 929 I'm considering replacing my little older Meridians with some Golden Ear Triton 7s. I even think Sandy is going to introduce some matching ceiling speakers intended for the newer sound formats.

The 929 alone has made me rethink my HT.

Patrick
post #84 of 569 Old 01-06-2014, 03:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaxCzar View Post

- You cannot stream PC photos / video direct to the Onkyo over ethernet. This is irritating, I was hoping to be able to do this as I don't really want a DVR / Cable box. Not too much aggravation as I can connect and use an Apple TV; but that means yet another remote to deal with.

A couple of things.

I've owned many recent AVRs. I've yet to see any that can stream anything other than audio

Secondly, the 929 remote is pre programmed to control an Apple TV.

Just press STB/DVR on the remote to have it control an Apple TV. smile.gif

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #85 of 569 Old 01-06-2014, 03:44 PM

I have a Denon 3312ci which I want to upgrade ... I'm looking at the Onkyo 929 or 818 I still have my doubts about the benefits of 929 to 818 someone wanting to mention some other ...

mi home actual

Denon AVR 3312CI
Xbox 360
Wii U
Apple Tv
PS 3
Oppo BD 83

Speakers

Front JBL L890
Center JBL LC2
Sorround JBL L820
Subwoofer Onkyo frown.gif

Some time ago I had an onkyo to which is to damage your hdmi
post #86 of 569 Old 01-07-2014, 04:49 PM
Advanced Member

As a 929 owner, I want to help out but I'm not sure what is meant by the following:

"I'm looking at the Onkyo 929 or 818 I still have my doubts about the benefits of 929 to 818 someone wanting to mention some other ...

mi home actual

Subwoofer Onkyo frown.gif"

Retyping or clarification would help.

Patrick
post #87 of 569 Old 01-07-2014, 05:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Collins View Post

As a 929 owner, I want to help out but I'm not sure what is meant by the following:

"I'm looking at the Onkyo 929 or 818 I still have my doubts about the benefits of 929 to 818 someone wanting to mention some other ...

mi home actual

Subwoofer Onkyo frown.gif"

Retyping or clarification would help.

I am looking at the same thing so I think he means the main difference looks like 9.2 vs 7.2 with 135W per channel for both and both have XT32. However, you can pick up the 818 for about $700.

Lowell

The MARVELous Home Theater: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...e-theater.html
post #88 of 569 Old 01-07-2014, 05:57 PM
AVS Special Member

For all those wondering about comparisons of the 818, 828, and 929...

Seems as though the 818 can be had new for around $700 or so.

The upgraded version of the 818 is the 828, which can be had new for for just under $850 or so. I do see that they are selling refurbed 828's though with a warranty for right around $600. Which sounds like a good deal.

I prefer my 929 over my old 818, that's for sure.

I didn't use alot of the features though on either unit though. Just for surround sound duty and HT use etc. Of the ones I did try, they worked well for me.

You can actually compare the models at the official Onkyo site.

http://www.onkyousa.com/Products/prod_class.php?class=Receiver&source=globalnav

2 Emotiva XPA-5's
1 Emotiva XPA-100
4 CHT VS-18.1 Subs
post #89 of 569 Old 01-07-2014, 06:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

For all those wondering about comparisons of the 818, 828, and 929...

Seems as though the 818 can be had new for around $700 or so.

The upgraded version of the 818 is the 828, which can be had new for for just under $850 or so. I do see that they are selling refurbed 828's though with a warranty for right around $600. Which sounds like a good deal.

I prefer my 929 over my old 818, that's for sure.

I didn't use alot of the features though on either unit though. Just for surround sound duty and HT use etc. Of the ones I did try, they worked well for me.

You can actually compare the models at the official Onkyo site.

http://www.onkyousa.com/Products/prod_class.php?class=Receiver&source=globalnav

They downgraded the 828 from the 818.

Lowell

post #90 of 569 Old 01-07-2014, 06:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowellG View Post

They downgraded the 828 from the 818.

Actually I see what you mean.

It's always baffling to me when Onkyo takes a current model, and then for the newer version of that same model, they actually take features away.

I had thought they stopped doing that but apparently not.

2 Emotiva XPA-5's
1 Emotiva XPA-100
4 CHT VS-18.1 Subs
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Nr929 9 2 Channel Network A V Receiver
Gear in this thread - Nr929 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page