The "Official" Onkyo TX-NR929 Owner's Thread - Page 5 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #121 of 593 Old 01-17-2014, 07:44 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 35

I'll do some more testing this weekend.

I only use the standard mode for video processing so I can see the OSD if I'm watching a video source thorugh the AVR, but when my source is my TV (netflix app on TV) and I use the ARC to send the audio to the avr, the temps still shoot up in THX mode even though there is no video processing done. As soon as I change the mode to direct decode the heat dissipates and the temp drops.

Onkyo TX-NR929/11.1 | Outlaw 7125 | Polk:  CSi A6 C | RTi A9 powered by qsc gx5  L&R | tsx110b Ht,Wd,SS and SB | Sub - Rythmik FV15HP | Samsung 60" UN60F8000BF | Samsung BD-F5900 | Theater Room
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 593 Old 01-18-2014, 01:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 49
How's the HDMI handshake stability or speed with the 929? One thing I've loved about the Denon 3808 is that it very rarely induced audio/video dropouts in the middle of movies or tv shows. We use the same model PS3 (160gb slim) in both the HT and the living room, but, for some reason, in the living room the signal frequently loses sync for a couple seconds, at layer changes (presumably), whether we pipe the signal directly into the Sony Bravia flat panel or route it through a Sony soundbar first. I can't remember dropouts happening more than once or twice in the 5 years of going through the Denon 3808, into a Sony projector, and haven't had any issues with losing sync at layer changes with the Mitsubishi projector I more recently replaced the Black Pearl with (though I'm experiencing another issue, believed to be HDMI related between the two units, which is a large reason for my need to upgrade, but that happens even on single-layer discs).

I know Onkyo has an extremely poor rep for HDMI board failure - which it appears the 929 may have addressed. But I've found far less on the reliability of their HDMI implementation while it's still working. I'm taking that as a good thing, but could use a little more peace of mind before pulling the plug, if anyone cares to share their experiences in regard to this or previous Onkyo's experiencing audio/video dropouts during BD movie playback.

Chad Varnadore <><
ex-armchair quarterback
Our HT
post #123 of 593 Old 01-18-2014, 06:03 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ckindt View Post

I'll do some more testing this weekend.

I only use the standard mode for video processing so I can see the OSD if I'm watching a video source thorugh the AVR, but when my source is my TV (netflix app on TV) and I use the ARC to send the audio to the avr, the temps still shoot up in THX mode even though there is no video processing done. As soon as I change the mode to direct decode the heat dissipates and the temp drops.

I forgot to get the Flukemeter from work so I dont have the temp. numbers, sorry!

I tested it for about 90 mins yesterday, bluetooth music from ipad, gain 40db, 7.1 and about half of that time was in THX mode. No issues with heating, only warm to touch.

Today only couple songs with heavy base, so may be 6-7 mins, gain at 65db, 7.1 and Audyssey DSX and it got superrrrrhot, so I turned the vol. down.

At what gain are you running the system when it reaches 150 deg. F?
post #124 of 593 Old 01-18-2014, 07:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 110
any reports in here of hdmi board failures. my 818 is still ticking along just fine, but reports are starting to creep up with the 818 now.

Habit Forming....Wallet Burning Hobby....

64" Samsung F8500 Plasma
55" Samsung B8500 Full Array Lcd
Channel Master Dvr
Onkyo 818
Crown xls-2000
Sony Blu-Ray 790
Svs Ultra Towers/Center, Energy Rc-50 Surround
Svs Pb-13 Ultra Sub
post #125 of 593 Old 01-19-2014, 05:00 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 2278 Post(s)
Liked: 1829
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Varnadore View Post

Thanks again. Disappointing to hear that HQV is gone, or is it just that particular version of it? They had a lot to do with equipment manufacturers emphasising quality onboard video processing during the later dvd era, when the likes of faroudja and dvdo were apparently still too pricy for sub $1k gear.

And thanks for the accessories4less tip, though I couldn't find them selling it on ebay (couldn't find them on ebay at all for that matter, but ebay only appears to allow you to search vendors by their number, not their name). All they had on their own site are factory refurbs - which my luck with refurbs has been fairly inconsistent. I'm not sure I want to gamble half the warranty considering Onkyo's past HDMI problems. Accessories4less extended warranties look pretty reasonable though, if they're trustworthy - I've never heard of the vendor until recently.

Not sure if you are referring to AC4L or the extended warranty vendor regarding being "trustworthy"; however, AC4L has been around almost 15 years and is often recommended in this forum for purchasing of refurbished units. However, you'll want to make sure the difference in cost between a [refurb + extended warranty] and new is enough to make it worth it . wink.gif

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; Direct line 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #126 of 593 Old 01-19-2014, 02:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked: 593
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

Not sure if you are referring to AC4L or the extended warranty vendor regarding being "trustworthy"; however, AC4L has been around almost 15 years and is often recommended in this forum for purchasing of refurbished units. However, you'll want to make sure the difference in cost between a [refurb + extended warranty] and new is enough to make it worth it . wink.gif

JD... I was actually surprised to find them selling brand new units on eBay... IIRC they had around 10 for sale.

I didn't know they sold anything new.

For the price I couldn't pass it up... Free shipping and no tax for me.

But I'd always recommend people call AVS first to get a price quote... Their CS is amazing, and are obviously ultra knowledgable about the products they sell.
post #127 of 593 Old 01-20-2014, 07:40 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 2278 Post(s)
Liked: 1829
AC4L will sell "new" units of various brands from time to time on their website as well, although primarily refurbished for the most part.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; Direct line 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #128 of 593 Old 01-20-2014, 09:08 AM

Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by YDR05 View Post

I forgot to get the Flukemeter from work so I dont have the temp. numbers, sorry!

I tested it for about 90 mins yesterday, bluetooth music from ipad, gain 40db, 7.1 and about half of that time was in THX mode. No issues with heating, only warm to touch.

Today only couple songs with heavy base, so may be 6-7 mins, gain at 65db, 7.1 and Audyssey DSX and it got superrrrrhot, so I turned the vol. down.

At what gain are you running the system when it reaches 150 deg. F?

I'm sort of at a loss.

Currently I have a single external 120mm cooling fan sitting on top of the left rear vent sucking air through the avr and blowing it out the top.  I have not seen temperatures in excess of ~105F and this is just a peak - they are normally only 10-20F over ambient ~70.

I'm happy with that.

The cause of the higher temps prior to the fan is what I'm unsure of.  I don't suspect any relation to listening levels.  I saw 150F within 20 minutes of turning the unit on and just bouncing around the network menu while listening to music at moderate levels, while I can watch an entire movie at -15db in 7.1 without breaking 95F.  Then if I switch back to music the temperature never increases. It seems like some peculiar processor loading and overheating of the stagnant air.

I doubt there were enough convection currents generated in my installation and it couldn't radiate the heat faster than it made it prior to the fan.  

Fan = no overheating = :)

Onkyo TX-NR929/11.1 | Outlaw 7125 | Polk:  CSi A6 C | RTi A9 powered by qsc gx5  L&R | tsx110b Ht,Wd,SS and SB | Sub - Rythmik FV15HP | Samsung 60" UN60F8000BF | Samsung BD-F5900 | Theater Room
post #129 of 593 Old 01-20-2014, 10:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Between gaming and one movie, our Denon 3808 and Outlaw amp ran for about 7 hours straight yesterday. Afterwhich the Denon was warm to the touch from doing little more than audio processing (though the onboard amps can't be disabled whether being used or not). The Denon wasn't remotely hot, but the Outlaw was so cool you couldn't even tell it was turned on. I do use two amps in the Denon for dedicated 6.1 or 7.1 audio, but the game and movie I watched yesterday was only 5.1. I'm hoping the 929 at least fares comparably with the heat the Denon puts out. But it would be awesome to find an AVR comparable to the Outlaw in terms of heat emission.

Chad Varnadore <><
ex-armchair quarterback
Our HT
post #130 of 593 Old 01-21-2014, 02:41 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Chad, I replaced my Outlaw amp with the 929. While my Outlaw weighed 90 pounds it never got hot. My 929 under similar conditions has never exceeded 105 degrees. Neither have been cranked all the way up. It would be just too loud. I can't tell you how the 929 would handle inefficient speakers though. There is a place for big amps, I just don't have a place for my Outlaw. I have no room that needs an amp that big.

I've had my 929 for a few months now and I've had zero glitches, audio or video. With that said, I'm still going to find some additional quiet cooling.

Patrick
post #131 of 593 Old 01-21-2014, 09:59 PM

Liked: 10
I just got my 929 and as I'm going through the setup menu under speaker settings, it's only allowing me to select 4ohms or 6ohms under speaker impedance.
My speakers are all 8ohms,is there a way to change this?
post #132 of 593 Old 01-21-2014, 10:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio_Dude View Post

I just got my 929 and as I'm going through the setup menu under speaker settings, it's only allowing me to select 4ohms or 6ohms under speaker impedance.
My speakers are all 8ohms,is there a way to change this?

Hi Audio_Dude, set it to 6 ohms.
Quote:
■Speaker Impedance
4ohms: Select if the impedance of any speaker is 4 ohms or more but less than 6.

6ohms: Select if the impedances of all speakers are between 6 and 16 ohms.
Audio_Dude likes this.
post #133 of 593 Old 01-21-2014, 10:14 PM

Thanks for the quick reply!
post #134 of 593 Old 01-23-2014, 12:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 13
hows the reliability have been for the 929? Anyone experienced failed hdmi ports?
post #135 of 593 Old 01-23-2014, 01:08 PM

Liked: 16
Only had mine for a month so to soon to tell, however I had a 906 for 5yrs and no problems with HDMI!

Bill
post #136 of 593 Old 01-27-2014, 04:18 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I'm going to start lurking here. Considering upgrading my 809 to a 929 to get the better Audyssey MultEq XT32 and the additional 2 channels so I can run front highs. I'm not in a rush, hoping to find a good deal when these start to be more heavily discounted.

Even though the 809 has a rep for HDMI board failure, mine has had no problems. I think the failures get blown way out of proportion on sites like this one to the actual failure rates. I know for a fact that Onkyo did eventually upgrade the 809 HDMI board so I expect the 929 will not have a similar problem.

It will probably go out tomorrow since I posted this.
Photokid1970 likes this.
post #137 of 593 Old 01-27-2014, 06:10 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I recently got the 929 and couldn't be happier. I'm coming from a TX-SR 605. BIG difference. I love the new GUI and the internet connectivity. I have yet to use the app from the playstore. Happy so far.

post #138 of 593 Old 01-28-2014, 04:42 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_gallup View Post

I'm going to start lurking here. Considering upgrading my 809 to a 929 to get the better Audyssey MultEq XT32 and the additional 2 channels so I can run front highs. I'm not in a rush, hoping to find a good deal when these start to be more heavily discounted.

Even though the 809 has a rep for HDMI board failure, mine has had no problems. I think the failures get blown way out of proportion on sites like this one to the actual failure rates. I know for a fact that Onkyo did eventually upgrade the 809 HDMI board so I expect the 929 will not have a similar problem.

100% agreed. If you want to upgrade now, give JD Smoothie a call with AVScience.com. His info is in post 127, and be can give you a good deal.

fdsfds
post #139 of 593 Old 01-28-2014, 08:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_gallup View Post

With all of their bad press for HDMI failure in recent years, I'm thinking along the lines that the 929 might prove one of those pieces that still gets mentioned by owners in ten years about how reliable it's been for them. Maybe. And I've read a number of reports about Onkyo taking care of their customers even outside the warranty for HDMI failures, presumably since it's such a widespread problem - which is very encouraging. Unfortunately, I've also read a few too many complaints from people who've had to go without their HT for going on two months (considerably longer even on seemingly rare occasion), still waiting on Onkyo to ship their service center the necessary parts. I'd be tempted to replace the AVR before waiting that long on a repair.

Chad Varnadore <><
ex-armchair quarterback
Our HT
post #140 of 593 Old 01-28-2014, 11:45 AM

Liked: 12
Everyone tends to focus so much on the negative (me included).

- system defaults to TV/CD if you have the RIHD or HDMI-CEC whatever enabled.

-This is annoying, but if you don't have RIHD enabled, the AVR doesn't output video consistently (ie no video displayed and you have to play with shutting it off and turning back on). Unsure if this is a common problem, but it's clearly an issue on my 929.

- video bypass mode is broken, at least on my 929. My PS4, Xbox 360, Samsung Blu-Ray Player, Gigabyte Brix i3 HTPC, all work fine with any combination of video settings when connected directly to the Samsung PN D550. But enabling bypass on the AVR = frequent black screens (almost like an HDMI hand shake issue).

- lack of SUB EQ HT (not really a knock as it is blatantly obvious that this feature is not included, just kind of wish it did).

Pluses:

+ 9 channels of amplification, more than enough to power my 9 channel setup (9 SVS speakers, however I am actually pairing it with a 7 channel Sherbourn Amp plus a pair of Fluance rear surrounds for 11.x, but I did test the AVR without the external amp, and it sounded great).

+ 11 channels of processing, so you can go 11.x with just a cheap second hand 2x 100W external amp for the front wides.

+ too many HDMI ports! I am glad that this AVR has 8+1 HDMI inputs. I'll eventually have 3 gaming consoles, 1 blu-ray, 1 HTPC, 1 IPTV/cable box, so having 8 ports at the back alone is nice.

+ WIFI built in. I prefer Ethernet, but many consumers prefer WIFI.

+ Onkyo APP for Android/IOS, sure all the other AVR's have this option, but it works well on this AVR.

+ Runs quite cool if you have at least 2 inches of free space above the AVR.

+ it's a heavy mother. Not sure if weight equates to quality as some believe. But it's heavier than other AVR's that cost even more.

+ Audyssey XT32, sure other AVR's in this price range has it, but at least Onkyo made sure it was included too.

I am sure there are a few more pluses that I've forgotten, but it's still a highly recommendable AVR. I am really annoyed with the video bypass problem, but since so few people are complaining about it, I assume I'll receive a positive resolution eventualy.
post #141 of 593 Old 01-28-2014, 12:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchieepants View Post

- system defaults to TV/CD if you have the RIHD or HDMI-CEC whatever enabled.

-This is annoying, but if you don't have RIHD enabled, the AVR doesn't output video consistently (ie no video displayed and you have to play with shutting it off and turning back on). Unsure if this is a common problem, but it's clearly an issue on my 929.

- video bypass mode is broken, at least on my 929. My PS4, Xbox 360, Samsung Blu-Ray Player, Gigabyte Brix i3 HTPC, all work fine with any combination of video settings when connected directly to the Samsung PN D550. But enabling bypass on the AVR = frequent black screens (almost like an HDMI hand shake issue).

- lack of SUB EQ HT (not really a knock as it is blatantly obvious that this feature is not included, just kind of wish it did).

Pluses:

+ 9 channels of amplification, more than enough to power my 9 channel setup (9 SVS speakers, however I am actually pairing it with a 7 channel Sherbourn Amp plus a pair of Fluance rear surrounds for 11.x, but I did test the AVR without the external amp, and it sounded great).

+ 11 channels of processing, so you can go 11.x with just a cheap second hand 2x 100W external amp for the front wides.

+ too many HDMI ports! I am glad that this AVR has 8+1 HDMI inputs. I'll eventually have 3 gaming consoles, 1 blu-ray, 1 HTPC, 1 IPTV/cable box, so having 8 ports at the back alone is nice.

+ WIFI built in. I prefer Ethernet, but many consumers prefer WIFI.

+ Onkyo APP for Android/IOS, sure all the other AVR's have this option, but it works well on this AVR.

+ it's a heavy mother. Not sure if weight equates to quality as some believe. But it's heavier than other AVR's that cost even more.

+ Audyssey XT32, sure other AVR's in this price range has it, but at least Onkyo made sure it was included too.

I am sure there are a few more pluses that I've forgotten, but it's still a highly recommendable AVR. I am really annoyed with the video bypass problem, but since so few people are complaining about it, I assume I'll receive a positive resolution eventualy.

Thanks for that. HDMI handshake issues are precisely what I'm looking to avoid/alleviate in my current system. Sounds like I should scratch the 929 off my short list. I'm not so sure my current projector plays well with others in this regard either, so HDMI stability is crucial. I guess now it's down to just Yamaha and Marantz.

Chad Varnadore <><
ex-armchair quarterback
Our HT
post #142 of 593 Old 01-28-2014, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Varnadore View Post

Thanks for that. HDMI handshake issues are precisely what I'm looking to avoid/alleviate in my current system. Sounds like I should scratch the 929 off my short list. I'm not so sure my current projector plays well with others in this regard either, so HDMI stability is crucial. I guess now it's down to just Yamaha and Marantz.

Hi Chad,

Though this might not satisfy you. Setting video output to "standard" apparently looks the same as bypass, but without the issues.
post #143 of 593 Old 01-29-2014, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchieepants View Post

Hi, have you measured the temps on your receiver? I did and it runs about 100 to 106 F depends where you measure. My previous receiver an Onkyo tx-sr605 used to run much hotter around 120 to 130 F with no problems at all.
This is not a complaint, as i'm very happy with mine, but i'm wondering if my temps are consistent with what you guys are seeing.

post #144 of 593 Old 01-29-2014, 07:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 42
What exactly are you guys using to get the temps of your 929's?

Thanks

1 Mitsubishi WD-82642 82" TV
1 Onkyo TX-NR929 11.4 setup
2 Emotiva XPA-5's
1 Emotiva XPA-100
1 Definitive Technology CLR 3000 (Center)
2 Definitive Technology BP2004TL's (Mains)
2 Definitive Technology ProMonitor 1000's (Heights)
6 Definitive Technology BPX's (Rears Wides Sides)
4 CHT VS-18.1 Subs
post #145 of 593 Old 01-29-2014, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yadfgp View Post

What exactly are you guys using to get the temps of your 929's?

Thanks

Fluke meter (model FlukeV) with K-type thermocouple.
post #146 of 593 Old 01-30-2014, 12:07 PM

I don't have a proper way of measuring temps. Though there is a combination of commands/buttons that should get the front display to show it.

My test was the unscientific touch the top by hand method.

With just over an inch clearance, it got a little warm, now with over 2 inches... you can feel that it's warm enough to know that it's on. But no obvious too hot feedback.
post #147 of 593 Old 01-30-2014, 02:33 PM

I'm using this to measure http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004AMVVJI/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1
It has a mode to measure surface temps.
By hand, it feels just warm. not too warm, and definitely not as warm as my Onkyo tx-sr605.
Objectively i'm getting about 100-106F depends where you measure on the surface of the Receiver. On the 605 i was getting 115-130F with no problems at all.
I'd like to know that key combo smile.gif

post #148 of 593 Old 01-30-2014, 08:47 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Question for the lucky ones that already own one of these.... I see on Onkyo's web site that this is a 9.2 receiver. I find 9.2 in about anything referencing it for sale on the internet. However, when I click on the owner's manual on Onkyo's web site, I find 9.1. It shows that it has 2 subwoofer outs but that they are the same signal (page 14, top right in the manual). My question is, does it really have 2 separate sub channels or just 1 and maybe they need to update their web site? I used to have the 3007 and it was a true 9.2 receiver in that it had independent gain and eq settings for each subwoofer out. This was extremely handy as I was running 2 different subs back then. Unfortunately it got sold with the old house. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated as this receiver is number 1 on my shortlist. Thanks!
post #149 of 593 Old 01-31-2014, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkinmoval View Post

Question for the lucky ones that already own one of these.... I see on Onkyo's web site that this is a 9.2 receiver. I find 9.2 in about anything referencing it for sale on the internet. However, when I click on the owner's manual on Onkyo's web site, I find 9.1. It shows that it has 2 subwoofer outs but that they are the same signal (page 14, top right in the manual). My question is, does it really have 2 separate sub channels or just 1 and maybe they need to update their web site? I used to have the 3007 and it was a true 9.2 receiver in that it had independent gain and eq settings for each subwoofer out. This was extremely handy as I was running 2 different subs back then. Unfortunately it got sold with the old house. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated as this receiver is number 1 on my shortlist. Thanks!

Though I am not using two subs with mine, I think you got it right. It does not have two independent sub channels, same signal is output from both pins.

If you like this one for other reasons, this particular issue can be tackled in many ways like to have the same make and model for two subs, identical placement and distance to start with. I have been using mine for about two months and I couldn't be happier with its performance.
post #150 of 593 Old 01-31-2014, 11:10 AM

Liked: 11
Although I don't own a 929, I've been looking for something at a "reasonable" price to upgrade to 11.1 ch to replace my Pioneer SC-1522k 9.1 (SC-65 Elite Clone) and have subscribed to this thread.

I've always owned Onkyos in the past so I happen to know the key combo for internal temp (of what part, I don't know)

All entries have to be made on the Receiver itself, NOT the remote.

1) Press and hold "Display" key until the display changes.

2) Press and Release "Standby" key while releasing the "Display key AT THE SAME TIME.

3) IMMEDIATELY Press the "Tone" key.

This brings up a screen with several things that I don't what they mean, however "T" is the temp in degrees C.

If it doesn't come up, try again until you get your "Timing" right. It took me a while till I got the "Hang of It".

Once again, I've never really never been sure what this is the temperature of. It has always been my guess that it measures the temp at the main amplifier heatsink because there is a "Thermal Protection" sensor mounted in the middle of the heatsink.

This is the system that Onkyo has been using for quite some time, back to "x05" at least, but I'm not really sure about now. Hope this helps.

Jack
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Nr929 9 2 Channel Network A V Receiver
Gear in this thread - Nr929 by PriceGrabber.com