AVS Forum banner

The "Official" Onkyo TX-NR929 Owner's Thread

84K views 673 replies 138 participants last post by  dr_gallup 
#1 ·
I haven't seen anything pop up for this unit yet, and thought it was about time considering its rich feature-set. Let it be noted, this model does not have the much coveted Sub EQ feature that EQ'S dual subs independently. I will add more information in this post shortly. Let the discussion commence!

#178 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmMixer  /t/1502616/the-official-onkyo-tx-nr929-owners-thread/150#post_24348507

I setup a DNLA server on my Mac. TVmobili in my case.

You can then stream that way with out Airplay from your iTunes library.
Thanks for this software rec, I intend to check it out pretty soon. Currently I am using a couple of Apple TVs here and there for Airplay connectivity. Mobili looks very interesting.

#179 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by haussanator  /t/1502616/the-official-onkyo-tx-nr929-owners-thread/150#post_24349373

I am waiting for my new 929 to come? My denon 1612 wasn't doing it for me and also I have 2 hdmi's that went dead! What do you guys think about pairing the 929 with some monitor audio silver rs6's?
I haven't heard those Monitors, but the speakers I have heard with the Onkyo, including old Polk LS70s and KEF iQ7s, sounded just great. Wonderful really, especially for the price of the 929, ahead in some ways of the pricier Onkyo AVRs.

My 929, currently in my dining room imbuing meals with music, is awaiting a more long term placement into my family room after a TV wall and cabinet rebuild, that has now run into a bit of a contractor delay or change.
One thing that Onkyos have had, in my opinion, is a pleasing warm audio envelopment that reminds me of my older Harman Kardon AVR, the 7300, that I still use for music listening. I think the 929 would be really excellent with the current KEF R700 or R500s, given their wide range accuracy, and the Onkyo sound. 

#184 ·

Onxyo-TX-NR929 OWNER -  Beyond frustrated Newbie....   Switching and Zone 2 issues....

MULTI-ROOM Setup (Living Room  6 monoprice 8inch speakers with 2 martin logan dynamo 500 subs & Outside patio 2 monoprice speakers ) 

LIVING ROOM

Receiver - Ethernet connected - zone 2 powered 

HDMI 1 -  Direct TV

HDIMI 2 - Samsung Blu-ray player

Game 2 -  PS4

#1 Main Problem -   Delayed switching

When I first t\urn receiver on (directv is default) it takes about 10 mins for it to recognize HDMI and the display shows on the screen. (The front panel shows hdmi flashing on and off)

When I finally get a picture on my TV, heaven forbids if I want to watch a DVD.    When I switch same problem.   Unit has ton of room for ventilation and I even have a fan installed.

I've called support and they had me do the reset thing, but I shouldn't have to do that all the time.   I"m coming from a Denon and I never had that problem before.   What am I missing?

For the amount of money I've paid, expecting to click a source and it should work right away.

#2  Zone 2 works only on music not dvd sound or directv sound.

So from my receiver I have hdmi and speakers running out to my patio.  I will put a tv out there soon, but for now I've just being testing audio and results haven't been great.   The speakers for the outside are plugged in the zone 2 speaker section and I have turned powererd zone 2 speaker on in the setup menu.

If I play pandora from receiver, I can hit zone 2 and net and I can hear the music fine (on the front panel I noticed it says digital)

However if I hit zone 2 and cable/tv or DVD , I don't hear any sound .(on the front panel I noticed it says PCM)....

Am I doing something wrong?  Is there a setting I can fix....

#186 ·

Thank you for such a quick response.   I will give #1 a shot.   As far as #2, why in the heck would they do that(I'm sure I just showed my newbiness with that question)?   I just don't recall having that issue with my Denon.     nevertheless... I do thank you again.  Will let you know how it turns out.

#188 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by u196126  /t/1502616/the-official-onkyo-tx-nr929-owners-thread/180#post_24393751

Thank you for such a quick response.   I will give #1 a shot.   As far as #2, why in the heck would they do that(I'm sure I just showed my newbiness with that question)?   I just don't recall having that issue with my Denon.     nevertheless... I do thank you again.  Will let you know how it turns out.
Still having HDMI issues... (just frustrating).   Added Analog cables and that appears to work.  Not thrilled that I have to do that, but ok.

#189 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie  /t/1502616/the-official-onkyo-tx-nr929-owners-thread/180#post_24393769

^^

More than 97% of all AVRs current or past cannot do other than analog to Zone 2. The Denon upper mid level and higher models are among the only units that have been doing it for years now.
My denon's were definitely midrange.   The 971 I believe, then I upgraded to the 1611 and I had a 1612....    But I desperately wanted the dual Video out, so that I can run a tv outside on the patio at a affordable price.

#190 ·

I am waiting for my new 929 to arrive.

I am installing it in my family room which is a fairly large rectangle shape (18.5' x 14.5'). There is a floor to ceiling indentation 2.5" x 7.5' in the long wall which houses the TV and sound system cabinet. Because we are in a split level home the back wall of the indentation is open at the top.

I have a new 65" Samsung UN65F8000 3D LED TV. A

I have 2 Polk Monitor 70's for fronts, 2 Mirage FRx5B1's as sides, 2 Mirage Nano's as rears and a Mirage LF100 Sub Woofer.

I also have 2 more Mirage Nano's that I am able to add to the new system.

Any suggestions or recommendations on how I should add the 2 speakers.

Attaching them as front highs is not an option.

#193 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by eugeneg  /t/1502616/the-official-onkyo-tx-nr929-owners-thread/180#post_24397992

Thanks.

I have already have another set of nano's as zone 2's in my living room.

I was thinking of using these extras as wide rears or if possible  fronts.
I love the wides I have set up with my 929. They are a pair of Polk RtiA1s. I have exactly the same width 14' as yours. Give it a shot!

#197 ·
New to the forum.

Just got my 929.

Love it so far.

Had front speakers bi-wired on old Harman Kardon amp so connected fronts to 929 bi-wired at first.

Then wanted to try bi-amped. Redid all the banana plugs from bi-wired to single strands. Then hooked the fronts up again but now bi-amped. Ran the full auto set up. The fronts are now not as loud as the sides. I will rerun the setup once again later today. Anyone got some feedback?

I have enough wire to bi-wire the bi-amping or is that getting insane. Oh. Do not ask my wife about the insane part. Her answer is: I just stay out of it. Forgot to add: changed settings on 929 to Bi-amped already.

#198 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by onkyose  /t/1502616/the-official-onkyo-tx-nr929-owners-thread/180#post_24407597

New to the forum.

Just got my 929.

Love it so far.

Had front speakers bi-wired on old Harman Kardon amp so connected fronts to 929 bi-wired at first.

Then wanted to try bi-amped. Redid all the banana plugs from bi-wired to single strands. Then hooked the fronts up again but now bi-amped. Ran the full auto set up. The fronts are now not as loud as the sides. I will rerun the setup once again later today. Anyone got some feedback?

I have enough wire to bi-wire the bi-amping or is that getting insane. Oh. Do not ask my wife about the insane part. Her answer is: I just stay out of it. Forgot to add: changed settings on 929 to Bi-amped already.

This is a debated topic, but bi-amping and bi-wiring does nothing as far as I'm concerned. Adjusting the levels +/- dB through calibration or manually does the same thing.

#200 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticality  /t/1502616/the-official-onkyo-tx-nr929-owners-thread/180#post_24409361

This is a debated topic, but bi-amping and bi-wiring does nothing as far as I'm concerned. Adjusting the levels +/- dB through calibration or manually does the same thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by onkyose  /t/1502616/the-official-onkyo-tx-nr929-owners-thread/180#post_24407597

New to the forum.

Just got my 929.

Love it so far.

Update - Reran the full setup and got much better. balanced for the room and louder sound from the fronts. Something went wrong with the previous audio setup. 

I suggest Onkyo owners check the microphone. I auditioned the Onkyo TX-NR626 before returning it and upping the ante to the TX-NR929 and the antenna was DOA OTB. Plug in the microphone and the system would stop after sending signal to the front left and then say that it could not find a speaker. Plugged in a microphone from my Samsung Theatre in a Box and the 929 was able to complete the set up.

Now realizing that my wish to bi-amp the fronts means that I am limited in a number of ways that include (I am still reading and trying to grasp the 160 Pages Owners Manual that I downloaded.) :

• Powered Zone 3 is not available in the following cases:

– The “Speakers Type(Front)” setting is set to “Bi-Amp” or

No

So - bi-amping limits speaker availability.

Question for the forum: If I give up on bi-amping the fronts, am I better to add Wide Front or High Front.

System Configuration:

Basement audio room 22 feet wide by 25 feet long.

Onkyo TX-NR929

Mission 7 Series

Tower fronts

Bookshelf surrounds

Wall mount curved front surround backs

2 Mission subs 10" and a 12"

Mission centre

I can add but would have to buy the high/wide fronts.

#201 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by onkyose  /t/1502616/the-official-onkyo-tx-nr929-owners-thread/180#post_24415720

So - bi-amping limits speaker availability.

Question for the forum: If I give up on bi-amping the fronts, am I better to add Wide Front or High Front.

I've been told that front wides make a bigger difference than front highs. I've got the opposite situation in that I now have enough speakers for 9.1 setup but my 809 receiver is only 7.1 capable. I can do either wide or high fronts but am leaning toward highs as wides would kind of clutter up the floor.