DAC help - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 12-01-2013, 12:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I like to listen to 2-channel music (CD's, mp3, etc) but I find that sometimes CD's sound a little harsh. I hooked up an old Playstation 1 and found that I liked the sound much better. Some people have compared the PS1's sound to vinyl. It seems that I tend to prefer this over the "digital" sound. Would getting a DAC help me achieve something similar? Not sure how all this works, but for example, would I connect the CD player to the DAC, and the send that into my AVR? Can you recommend some DACs that have a warmer sound, comparable to what you'd hear when listening to vinyl? Thanks biggrin.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 12-01-2013, 01:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 101
The DAC you are hearing while playing the PS1 resides in the PS1 IIRC - there is only a L/R analog out jacks - no optical or coax. Which AVR do you have? Some AVRs direct all input to the DAC regardless of what type of signal is coming to it. With the PS1 being one dimensional (analog out only) a DAC is not going to improve on what you have.

When all else fails - RTFM!

♫♫♫ Two Channel Rules! ♫♫♫

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
post #3 of 5 Old 12-01-2013, 02:44 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knucklehead90 View Post

The DAC you are hearing while playing the PS1 resides in the PS1 IIRC - there is only a L/R analog out jacks - no optical or coax. Which AVR do you have? Some AVRs direct all input to the DAC regardless of what type of signal is coming to it. With the PS1 being one dimensional (analog out only) a DAC is not going to improve on what you have.

I have a Marantz 1403. I figured if I just kept using the PS1, I'd be happy, but I was just wondering what I could if I wanted to use something a little more modern to play my music. I think I discovered that I like feeding my AVR analog sound, so other than using the PS1, what are some options? Right now, I have a PS4 which doesn't play CD's or music files (way to go, Sony). So I plugged in the old PS2 to play some music the other night and connected it to my AVR via optical. A few nights later, I gave the PS1 a shot via analog cables and I liked it better. Maybe what I need is a good CD player with a nice warm DAC that I can connect to my receiver with analog.
post #4 of 5 Old 12-01-2013, 02:46 PM

Liked: 10
How can a receiver direct an analog ( RCA's L/R) to a DAC? It is not digital so it cannot convert....unless the receiver converts the analog to digital before sending to the DAC but why or how would it do that?
post #5 of 5 Old 12-01-2013, 07:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 18
On a number of modern receivers, the analog two channel inputs lead to an ADC and the signal is processed digitally from there. This is to apply various speaker and room corrections, as well as any DSP modes for that audio (be it standard processors that translate to surround, e.g. Pro-logic, DTS Neo, etc, or special effects that the receivers support like Yamahas are known for).

On some high end receivers, they also have a pure analog path where none of that happens. Depending on the model, speaker level corrections might take place, or they may not.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page