7.1 or Bi-Amp small room - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 12-02-2013, 11:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Good Day,

I know there has been a lot of this on these forums, but I want more info myself, and specifically for my setup.

I have a sony STR-DH700 receiver which I have used for 7.1, I have recently moved my HT to my other room, it is quite small, and after reading stuff on here, I don't think it would be big enough for 7.1. 

My front speakers are PSB Stratus Bronze, is there any benefit to bi-amping these? Now, maybe it is just a marketing term, but on the back of my receiver it says I can use the surround back speakers for bi amping...but is it really bi wiring? Or can I still have 7.1 and bi-wire? Because from what I have read bi-wiring is just using 2 sets of speaker wire that plug in to the same terminals at the receiver, or am I wrong?

Or should I forget Bi-amping and just do 7.1 in a small room?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 12-02-2013, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 224
IMO:
1. No need to bi-amp using the AVR.
2. I have 7.1 in a room ~13' wide x 17' long and it works well. How small is your room?

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
post #3 of 9 Old 12-02-2013, 11:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 756
Biamping along with pixie dust won't make an audible difference. Focus your efforts elsewhere.

Also if your room won't accommodate a normal 7.1 configuration easily, then consider experimenting with heights or wides.

Also, FWIW a well set up 5.1 will perform better in my experience then a poorly configured 7.1 set up.

I don't need snobs to tell me how to think, thank you!
LOL!
Why you wouldn't want to join this forum
post #4 of 9 Old 12-02-2013, 11:51 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the info, Yeah I am leaning towards experimenting with the 7.1, my room is about that size. It is a very square room, maybe 10' x 10' roughly....

post #5 of 9 Old 12-02-2013, 12:49 PM

Bi-amping can protect your tweeters from damage in a case where the bass drivers induce clipping at high sound levels. It also allows for circumvention of parts of the crossover network that would allow the amplifiers to run more efficiently by removing inducers & capacitors from the circuit, although speaker modifications beyond just removing the terminal jumper may be required.

Unless bi-amping results in different gain levels to each driver than non bi-amping, I doubt there's going to be much (if any) audible difference at normal listening levels.

The only benefit of bi-wiring is to eliminate the speaker's crossover network. As mentioned this can allow the amplifier to run more efficiently.
post #6 of 9 Old 12-02-2013, 04:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 224
Hmmm...

Passive bi-amping as implemented by most AVRs does not allow removal of any speaker crossover components.

I suspect any amplifier efficiency gain from removing crossover elements is deep in the mud. There are other reasons for active bi-amping.

How does bi-wiring eliminate the crossover network? I do not follow that at all.

@krisl100: In a small, square room you may find more benefit from room treatment than cramming in extra speakers.

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
post #7 of 9 Old 12-03-2013, 03:05 PM

Liked: 13
Isn't the "passive bi-amping you're talking about really bridging? This allows two amplifier channels to be combined to roughly double the power into one load. Bi amping can help a lot if you're trying to achieve a high sound pressure level.
post #8 of 9 Old 12-03-2013, 04:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 756
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveMcLain View Post

Isn't the "passive bi-amping you're talking about really bridging? This allows two amplifier channels to be combined to roughly double the power into one load. Bi amping can help a lot if you're trying to achieve a high sound pressure level.

no. bridging essentially sums 2 channels of amp power to a single speaker.

passive biamping allows for the separation of the tweeters and woofers by removing jumpers at the speakers binding post, then adding a single amp chanel to power the woofer and another separate amp channel to power the tweeter. there is no audible benefit to passive biamping and is generally considered a waste of time, and an inefficient use of power especially for the tweeter amp channel.....as tweeters will rarely if ever use more then 20 or so watts at any given time, so having a 100 or so watt amp powering them is obviously wasteful.

bridging can have audible benefits assuming your speaker can handle the power available. the benefits comes in increased loudness potential.

I don't need snobs to tell me how to think, thank you!
LOL!
Why you wouldn't want to join this forum
post #9 of 9 Old 01-17-2014, 04:22 PM

Liked: 13
Bridging is done by feeding an inverted signal to one amplifier channel and then connecting the load so that it's connected differentially between the two channels which gives roughly double the power. But the speaker load now has to be 2X what the amplifier channels can normally drive to max power. If that's say 4 ohms then when the channels are bridged the load needs to be 8 ohms.

Biamping is normally done using an active crossover that splits the signal to two different amplifier channels so that the highs and lows are amplified separately. If passive biamping works as you describe where the passive crossover is still used it sounds like a waste of time to me.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Sony Str Dh700 7 1 Channel A V Receiver Black
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page